The 2014/2015 Football (Soccer) Thread

markyosullivan

Chiriches is a drinker, apparently a party animal as well. In a game you cannot rely on him, he does some crazy shit which remind you of the 80s. Also besides that what is his position? Center back? He is irrational and makes dumb mistakes, he also lacks the size and strength to play in the EPL. RB? Lacks the pace and crossing ability. He is a loony. He does have some skills and he is confident, not bad on the ball for a defender, but if you are a team aspiring for a top 4 position, this guy should be outside your main 16. If we can get 5m for him i would approve the offer.

The good thing about the Betenke sale is that we are most certainly going to offload Adebayor to Villa now. I think Betenke is a good strong striker, he has already proven he can score in the EPL (almost a 50% strike rate in a poor team), plus the Belgium connection would had been a strong factor in him adapting to life in Spurs. Liverpool have already made one good move with the Raheem cash and are still left with 17m for one high profile transfer.

I think the main reason we did not go for him (besides the price, i heard we are deliberately avoiding the big transfer fees now), is we want to give Kane space to develop. I highly doubt you can play with 2 big forwards up front and having either of them on the bench sounds like a lot of waste. We are looking for a striker which can play together with Kane, maybe behind him or a fast striker up front or someone which can convert to a winger role if needed in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-1-3 system. That is why we are hearing a lot about players which are hybrid pacey forwards/wingers.

I personally think Chadli can easilly play as a makeshift striker in lower ranking games. He has the size and finishing ability to play up front, so as long as Kane stays healthy, one combo forward should be enough.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The good thing about the Betenke sale is that we are most certainly going to offload Adebayor to Villa now. I think Betenke is a good strong striker, he has already proven he can score in the EPL (almost a 50% strike rate in a poor team), plus the Belgium connection would had been a strong factor in him adapting to life in Spurs. Liverpool have already made one good move with the Raheem cash and are still left with 17m for one high profile transfer.

I think the main reason we did not go for him (besides the price, i heard we are deliberately avoiding the big transfer fees now), is we want to give Kane space to develop. I highly doubt you can play with 2 big forwards up front and having either of them on the bench sounds like a lot of waste. We are looking for a striker which can play together with Kane, maybe behind him or a fast striker up front or someone which can convert to a winger role if needed in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-1-3 system. That is why we are hearing a lot about players which are hybrid pacey forwards/wingers.

I personally think Chadli can easilly play as a makeshift striker in lower ranking games. He has the size and finishing ability to play up front, so as long as Kane stays healthy, one combo forward should be enough.

That's all fair comment, but a top EPL team needs more than one striker. With Europe, cups, injuries, tactical subs, and competition in the squad to consider, there is plenty of need for another striker. Adabyor and Soldado probably going, who do we have? There really should be someone of quality to turn to.

Kane is such a complete forward that I'd switch the argument round and say we should get someone top class, like Benteke, and let Kane adapt. Maybe I'm being ignorant about style and tactics (?), but Kane looks like a player who could play most forward roles.

Anyway, my fear is signing no one, making do with support from our attacking mids and youngsters, then Kane gets injured or loses form, then we are making some emergency signing in the winter, and we end up with another Soldado/Rebrov type, back to square one.

That's all fair comment, but a top EPL team needs more than one striker. With Europe, cups, injuries, tactical subs, and competition in the squad to consider, there is plenty of need for another striker. Adabyor and Soldado probably going, who do we have? There really should be someone of quality to turn to.

Kane is such a complete forward that I'd switch the argument round and say we should get someone top class, like Benteke, and let Kane adapt. Maybe I'm being ignorant about style and tactics (?), but Kane looks like a player who could play most forward roles.

Anyway, my fear is signing no one, making do with support from our attacking mids and youngsters, then Kane gets injured or loses form, then we are making some emergency signing in the winter, and we end up with another Soldado/Rebrov type, back to square one.

you can't get another top forward and ask Kane to play elsewhere in the team, that would be taking a step backwards... we need a striker that is up and coming and happy to be second fiddle to Kane (maybe play 20 odd games) that way Kane has the maximum opportunity to fulfill his potential. buying another top striker confuses things.

I do agree that we need a new striker (assuming we offload the 2 backups we have which is likely), however moving last years #2 scorer of the year to any position other than up front does not make sense. Anyone we bring should be adapting to Kane, not the other way round. I agree with Ramirez that we should get someone which can play along side Kane if we want to play with 2 attackers and since Kane has size and can play with his head, i would love to see a striker with speed.

Beharino seems to fit the mould as he is a strike first type and is a pacey forward which can play on the wings. Apparently the saga is not over with him as he rejected the new contract offer from WBA and is trying to force a move. He and Kane are good friends from the U-21 setup fo England, they proved to have great chemistry there, so this could be a great move not only for Spurs, but for England as well in the long term. Playing together on a weekly basis can only be good news for their partnership. I think he can also play on the left wing if necessary, he has played on the wings for WBA and it is one position we could use some backup. This could be a good time for us to get him at a better price because all the top teams are out of the fight for him (Liverpool was interested but they signed Betenke) and the other big sides are already complete up front, this is why WBA wanted to offer him a new deal to try and keep him in the team for at least one year and get a bigger offer next year.

It seems Chiriches is on brink of Spurs move to Napoli for around 4.5-5m pounds (we bought him for about 8m). Deal should be completed in this week. Adebayor seems destined for a loan move to Villa uniting him with Tactics Tim Sherwood. Soldado also seems to be gone to Sevilia soon as well, leaving us with just Lennon, he did not travel with our squad to the USA and seems to be gone soon as well. If it was down to me i would offload Lamela as well, if we can get anywhere near what we paid for him (we paid 35m) i would sell him immediately.

The big question for Spurs is who are we getting in? We basically sold everyone we were suppose to sell and have a pile of cash, but with the exception of a couple of rotation players and Vertongen's old buddy from Ajax, we have not really gotten anyone yet.

damn, I just remembered that game was Wednesday night...2-1 MLS All Stars over Spurs.

damn, I just remembered that game was Wednesday night...2-1 MLS All Stars over Spurs.

The game being played so high above sea level influenced the game. I did not know that in the All star game you are allowed so many subs, we got to see some of the youth though, Dele Alpi looks ready.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to butt in. Harry Kane could definitely use a partner up front. But if Tottenham is playing a sort of 4-2-3-1 they might need to invest in some good wingers for scoring. I was just thinking formation-wise Kane would try to go deep so he won't be detached from the rest of the attack because if he goes poacher style it'll be tough for him I think.

Trying to get into Premier League a little more. Tough to do out here in the Western U.S.

Don't have a specific team I cheer for, so who should I be on the lookout for this season???

Saw Chelsea vs Swansea last weekend, which was amazing (at least it was to me) and caught the first half of Tottenham vs Stoke City today.

Trying to get into Premier League a little more. Tough to do out here in the Western U.S.

Don't have a specific team I cheer for, so who should I be on the lookout for this season???

Saw Chelsea vs Swansea last weekend, which was amazing (at least it was to me) and caught the first half of Tottenham vs Stoke City today.

You can just be a general fan of football but I feel it's better to support a club because then it's easier to follow one club instead of lots of clubs.

Closing this thread, head over to the 2015/2016 thread instead!

• Upvote 1