Fantasy Baseball 2015

Deuce7

I can believe I fucking missed the fucking draft. I had the first fucking pick to. My auto pick got most of the guys I would have drafted though so it's not all fucked. Actually I really like my roster right now.

We figured you would take Goldschmidt with the 1st pick, lol

Not sure how my team is going to do. I feel like they're pretty weak right now. Reached on Dozier and Bryant big time.

Yeah, hopefully you can hold on to Bryant until May, lol

Anyway, I have decided I will try and do a write up on two teams per day leading up to opening day/night.

Jacman – Team Heard Round the World

Top 3 Picks: Mike Trout, Ryan Braun, Max Scherzer

Steal: Joey Votto, Round 6

Sleeper: Ben Zobrist, Round 10

Overall: Jacman’s draft strategy (planned or not) was clear; hitting is the top priority. Loaded with guys that normally have high batting averages (Votto, Trout, Braun), Jacman just needs to be careful and pray that the injury bug stays away. While hitting is definitely his strength, pitching is a completely different story and could be his downfall. Max Scherzer will put up big numbers again, but the rest of his pitching staff is a total mystery. Michael Wacha could be a steal, but when that is your #2, bad times could be looming. Picking up Ben Zobrist in the 10th round could be one of Jacman’s best moves. Given that the A’s have to get some offense from somebody, Zobrist is the guy that could step up big.

Conclusion: Jacman has a very strong hitting team should easily win the batting average category as well as a few others, but the lack of strong pitching could derail his playoff chances.

• Upvote 2

H2Beau – Beer Showers

Top 3 Picks: Adam Jones, Buster Posey, Bryce Harper

Steal: Adam Wainwright, Round 6

Sleeper: Lance Lynn, Round 11th

Overall: Having the last pick in the 1st round is always difficult, but Beau definitely figured out a way to make up for that. Placing a lot of faith in guys to have breakout years (Harper, Machado, Andrus, Harvey, Cain), Beau’s team is loaded with high risk/high reward players and could mean very good or very bad weeks. His strategy with pitchers seems to be the same as the hitters when it comes to risk and reward, but has a much better chance of being the high reward with Matt Harvey and Adam Wainwright leading the way. Selecting Lance Lynn in the 11th only adds to the strikeout artists that Beau has assembled and a lot of experts expect to have a very big season.

Conclusion: Beau will be either a mad genius or just plain mad by the time the end of the season roles around, but of course he needs a few guys to reach their full potential and become the stars they are supposed to be to avoid being latter.

• Upvote 2

I'm scared to see what Deuce will have to say about my team haha! Maybe I got lucky with some of my picks but I didn't have a strategy going in so I'm not holding my breath. I'll have fun with this either way and will do my best to correct any mistakes.

My strategy went out the window the second I had the 11th pick.

My own team will probably have the harshest write up, so don't worry too much guys, lol.

Damn Deuce why you gotta be so harsh with my pitchers? Lol. Last year I had a great pitching staff but I went the opposite this time. Max Scherzer I'm predicting he will have a CY Young level season because he's on a great team; lots of wins, league leader in K's, and a good ERA. Outside of that my rotation isn't great but I have Anibal Sanchez who is always solid, and Michael Wacha who I'm banking on him having a breakout season. Look for me to trade for a pitcher or two.

Damn Deuce why you gotta be so harsh with my pitchers? Lol. Last year I had a great pitching staff but I went the opposite this time. Max Scherzer I'm predicting he will have a CY Young level season because he's on a great team; lots of wins, league leader in K's, and a good ERA. Outside of that my rotation isn't great but I have Anibal Sanchez who is always solid, and Michael Wacha who I'm banking on him having a breakout season. Look for me to trade for a pitcher or two.

I like Wacha, but my problem with him is he is coming off of an injury and missed a few start last season due to elbow issues (if i'm not mistaken). I'm not saying he doesnt have a lot of upside because he does and if he stays healthy i expect very big things from him.

I like Wacha, but my problem with him is he is coming off of an injury and missed a few start last season due to elbow issues (if i'm not mistaken). I'm not saying he doesnt have a lot of upside because he does and if he stays healthy i expect very big things from him.

Very true, they might put an innings limit on him as well. I just want him to stay healthy because if he does I'm sure he'll be at least a productive pitcher with upside for a lot more.

Very true, they might put innings limit on him as well. I just want him to stay healthy because if he does I'm sure he'll be at least a productive pitcher with upside for a lot more.

In all honesty i think he will be what Adam Wainwright was when Chris Carpenter was the ace.

• Upvote 1

Team Harris – Butch

Top 3 Picks: Andrew McCutchen, Michael Brantley, Madison Bumgarner

Steal: Carlos Santana, Round 9

Sleeper: Joc Pederson, Round 17

Overall: Wow what a solid roster all around that Butch seems to have drafted. Outside of McCutchen and Bumgarner, there are no true superstars on his roster and that certainly is not a bad thing. A superb collection of players that are very underrated (Franzier, Santana, Kinsler) and have more then just little bit of pop in their bats. Butch winning the home run category most weeks would not be a surprise. Everything that I said about his hitters could be said for his pitchers, replacing the home runs with strikeouts. Somehow Butch managed to land possibly one of the biggest sleepers of all in Joc Pederson. If he can continue what he did this spring (hitting around .400) Pederson could be lightning in a bottle.

Conclusion: Butch’s team isn’t flashy, but they should scare you. You may not have heard of most of his players, but collectively they could be your worst nightmare.

• Upvote 3

Tulo-git to Quit – Deuce7

Top 3 Picks: Troy Tulowitzki, Jose Altuve, Justin Upton

Steal: Jose Fernandez, Round 15

Sleeper: Jacob deGrom, Round 8

Overall: Oh where to start. A few guys with speed (Altuve, Hamilton), a few guys with power (Trumbo, Alvarez) and a few guys with high batting averages (Tulowitzki, Altuve). Deuce’s team has a chance to compete in most categories each week, but shouldn’t run away with any and that lack of any stand out category could be a huge downfall. Pitching seems to be a bright spot and loaded with young arms that could lead the save or win a few weeks for this team. Jacob deGrom could become the next Matt Harvey or Jose Fernandez and make himself a household name sooner rather than later. Speaking of Fernandez, if he returns to his former self Deuce might have pulled the biggest steal of the draft. Then again injuries are a cruel beast.

Conclusion: Deuce’s squad really needs a few guys to step up in a big way to contend week in and week out, but his pitching is definitely his strong point and should be his savior.

• Upvote 2

Team Harris Butch

Top 3 Picks: Andrew McCutchen, Michael Brantley, Madison Bumgarner

Steal: Carlos Santana, Round 9

Sleeper: Joc Pederson, Round 17

Overall: Wow what a solid roster all around that Butch seems to have drafted. Outside of McCutchen and Bumgarner, there are no true superstars on his roster and that certainly is not a bad thing. A superb collection of players that are very underrated (Franzier, Santana, Kinsler) and have more then just little bit of pop in their bats. Butch winning the home run category most weeks would not be a surprise. Everything that I said about his hitters could be said for his pitchers, replacing the home runs with strikeouts. Somehow Butch managed to land possibly one of the biggest sleepers of all in Joc Pederson. If he can continue what he did this spring (hitting around .400) Pederson could be lightning in a bottle.

Conclusion: Butchs team isnt flashy, but they should scare you. You may not have heard of most of his players, but collectively they could be your worst nightmare.

Never heard of Joc to be honest but after reading his note beside his name I decided to take a shot. I got high hopes for this kid now though.

Never heard of Joc to be honest but after reading his note beside his name I decided to take a shot. I got high hopes for this kid now though.

He has been the Dodgers best prospect for the last few years and would have been in the majors a lot earlier if the Dodgers didn't have a log jam in the outfield.

I was going to take him the same round you did if he was still there.

H2Beau – Beer Showers

Top 3 Picks: Adam Jones, Buster Posey, Bryce Harper

Steal: Adam Wainwright, Round 6

Sleeper: Lance Lynn, Round 11th

Overall: Having the last pick in the 1st round is always difficult, but Beau definitely figured out a way to make up for that. Placing a lot of faith in guys to have breakout years (Harper, Machado, Andrus, Harvey, Cain), Beau’s team is loaded with high risk/high reward players and could mean very good or very bad weeks. His strategy with pitchers seems to be the same as the hitters when it comes to risk and reward, but has a much better chance of being the high reward with Matt Harvey and Adam Wainwright leading the way. Selecting Lance Lynn in the 11th only adds to the strikeout artists that Beau has assembled and a lot of experts expect to have a very big season.

Conclusion: Beau will be either a mad genius or just plain mad by the time the end of the season roles around, but of course he needs a few guys to reach their full potential and become the stars they are supposed to be to avoid being latter.

Definitely agree with your write up on my squad. Really looking forward to this fantasy season. I'm worried about having Mauer as my first baseman but hopefully that won't hurt me too bad. I missed out on a couple targets as I was wanting Carlos Santana but he got picked a couple spots before I wanted to grab him, and then I wanted Jose Fernandez in the same round you scooped him up.

Definitely agree with your write up on my squad. Really looking forward to this fantasy season. I'm worried about having Mauer as my first baseman but hopefully that won't hurt me too bad. I missed out on a couple targets as I was wanting Carlos Santana but he got picked a couple spots before I wanted to grab him, and then I wanted Jose Fernandez in the same round you scooped him up.

Yeah, I was looking at Santana since he lasted so long and was going to pick him up for my 3rd baseman (even though he should never play 3rd base again). I completely forgot about Fernandez until I started to scroll through the starting pitchers in round 14.

Sorry for the lack of write ups tonight guys. I had something unexpected come up tonight and I have not been home to write them. I will pull double duty for this on Friday while I am off from work. I will still be posting the next two tomorrow night.

Team Can’t Beat This – Dummy Team

Top 3 Picks: Giancarlo Stanton, Adrian Beltre, Freddie Freeman

Steal: Gerrit Cole, Round 8

Sleeper: Garrett Richards, Round 10

Overall: Well hell………the Dummy Team might be better than I had planned. The auto pick strategy was definitely to draft power, power and more power. Stanton is the biggest power threat in the bigs and Beltre is no slouch even at 36. Barring any moves (which may or may not happen) they could and should win the home run category every single week. Their pitching staff isn’t too shabby either with Jon Lester and Gerrit Cole as the two main weapons. Don’t sleep on Garret Richards either, as he put up some impressive numbers and could take over the #2 starter duties from Jered Weaver or CJ Wilson by mid-season.

Conclusion: So far the auto picks have put together pretty good teams in this year’s draft and this one is no different, but do expect some trades about a month in to turn this into a winnable week for everyone.

• Upvote 2

Put it on the Board……….Yes! – bijakonja

Top 3 Picks: Jose Abreu, Edwin Encarnacion, Anthony Rendon

Steal: Andrew Cashner, Round 13

Sleeper: Dellin Betances, Round 10

Overall: By the looks of things, bijakonja seems to be going after the RBI and Saves categories. Getting Jose Abreu in the 1st round was a no brainer and following that up with Nolan Arenado and Kyle Seager in rounds five and six was outstanding on his part. His starting pitchers (Kluber, Smyly, Miller) leave something to be desired, but if Andrew Cashner can stay healthy (a big if) he could make things interesting. I think it is pretty safe to say he has the saves category in the bag with four guys projected as their teams respective closer and Dellin Betances might be the best of the bunch.

Conclusion: bijakonja knew what he was doing and it shows. While most of us went heavy on starting pitching, so he saw an opportunity with relievers and could turn that into a solid chance at the playoffs.

• Upvote 2

Team Sutherland – dinooo

Top 3 Picks: Paul Goldschmidt, Yasiel Puig, Chris Sale

Steal: Chris Davis, Round 8

Sleeper: Michael Pineda, Round 17

Overall: Middle of the order hitters is the theme of dinooo’s team with the likes of Longoria, Goldschmidt, Martinez and Puig creating a very formidable hitting team. Plenty of guys on this team that have the potential to drive in 100 runs, including Chris Davis that seemed to slide farther then I expected, but that’s if he can stay healthy and avoid another suspension. On the pitching side of his team, he seems to have a stronger relieving core than starters with Robertson, Doolittle (when he is healthy) and Cody Allen making saves almost a lock every week. Speaking of “when he is healthy”, Michael Pineda had a very solid spring after returning from an injury last season and could be a major late round find for dinooo.

Conclusion: dinooo has a very strong team thanks to his auto pick once again and might even be my betting favorite to finish in the #1 spot during the regular season.

Team Sutherland – dinooo

Top 3 Picks: Paul Goldschmidt, Yasiel Puig, Chris Sale

Steal: Chris Davis, Round 8

Sleeper: Michael Pineda, Round 17

Overall: Middle of the order hitters is the theme of dinooo’s team with the likes of Longoria, Goldschmidt, Martinez and Puig creating a very formidable hitting team. Plenty of guys on this team that have the potential to drive in 100 runs, including Chris Davis that seemed to slide farther then I expected, but that’s if he can stay healthy and avoid another suspension. On the pitching side of his team, he seems to have a stronger relieving core than starters with Robertson, Doolittle (when he is healthy) and Cody Allen making saves almost a lock every week. Speaking of “when he is healthy”, Michael Pineda had a very solid spring after returning from an injury last season and could be a major late round find for dinooo.

Conclusion: dinooo has a very strong team thanks to his auto pick once again and might even be my betting favorite to finish in the #1 spot during the regular season.

Last season i squeaked in with a 9-1 hammering of someone on the final week, ended up running the play offs, i'll try and keep active with it this year.

Pittsburgh Crawfords – ScoobyAli

Top 3 Picks: Robinson Cano, Ian Desmond, David Price

Steal: Yadier Molina, Round 11

Sleeper: Christian Yelich, Round 7

Overall: A very wide array of players on Scooby’s roster. He seems to have mixed consistent performers (Price, Cano, Kimbrel) with a few guys that had breakout seasons last year (Desmond, Holland, Yelich) and may have turned the corner towards stardom. Being able to pick up Yadier Molina in the 11th round could pay off huge if Molina returns to his All-Star form after struggling with injuries last season. Scooby’s squad isn’t very deep at starting pitcher, only having four on the roster, but should make up for it with an abundance of relievers that could bode very well for the ERA category, but will hurt him in the strikeout department.

Conclusion: Scooby’s team will be similar to Deuce’s team where he has the hitters to keep categories close week in and week out, but the pitching will no doubt win most weeks for him.