The Ultimate Fighter: Heavyweights

Mac.McCarty

Nelson is 33 and wessel 31...junk is 30 shivers 32 and marcus jones is 36 whats my point well my point is Kimbo has a future in ufc..those are just the contestants on the show not to mention the over 30 HW in ufc. Kimbo will make UFC on hype alone and the fact that the ratings for his fight with nelson broke a shit load of records for mma. the man is def a money maker. i think with the right coaching he'll be good to go this is episode 3 your judging him from the man has been training since the show ended and will be on the tuf finale i guerentee it.

Kimbo won't do shit, give him all the coaching you want. Is he a moneymaker? Well, he's an Internet sensation, but that doesn't make him the next big thing. Should Dana sign that "Leave Britney Alone" kid just because a few million people watched him on YouTube too? Kimbo fights, but he isn't a fighter. Not in any way. And as the general populace realizes he's utter, utter shit his luster will fade.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kimbo won't do shit, give him all the coaching you want. Is he a moneymaker? Well, he's an Internet sensation, but that doesn't make him the next big thing. Should Dana sign that "Leave Britney Alone" kid just because a few million people watched him on YouTube too? Kimbo fights, but he isn't a fighter. Not in any way. And as the general populace realizes he's utter, utter shit his luster will fade.

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing someone beat the shit out of him. :D

after that fight it just showed how devostated dana white was and how much of a dick he is and dana white will use evrery exuse he can to get kimbo back into the compotion but if that happens then what about abe wanger and wes sims?

Umm, Abe got pretty fucked up and I'm pretty sure they won't let him compete again for quite a while. As for Wes Sims, Wes hasn't fought yet, you probably meant Wes Shivers. And, I agree, I'd love to see Wes Shivers get back in the cage and get another chance. I mean, what's the use of putting Kimbo in another fight? He's already guaranteed to get a UFC contract, even if he loses. Now, Wes isn't guaranteed anything, so he actually needs the chance.

The problem with Team Rampage is that they make the same mistakes over and over. They get dragged around the mat for the first round and then they just let the other guy take them down there again, it's really painful to watch.

Nelson is 33 and wessel 31...junk is 30 shivers 32 and marcus jones is 36 whats my point well my point is Kimbo has a future in ufc..those are just the contestants on the show not to mention the over 30 HW in ufc. Kimbo will make UFC on hype alone and the fact that the ratings for his fight with nelson broke a shit load of records for mma. the man is def a money maker. i think with the right coaching he'll be good to go this is episode 3 your judging him from the man has been training since the show ended and will be on the tuf finale i guerentee it.

Nelson has been training a while and has a black belt in jiu-jitsu. The former football players were athletes. Kimbo has never trained martial arts or been an athlete. It's an uphill battle.

Nelson has been training a while and has a black belt in jiu-jitsu. The former football players were athletes. Kimbo has never trained martial arts or been an athlete. It's an uphill battle.

Well, he was a football player in High School, and was on the practice squad once for the Miami Dolphins once. That's a start in the athleticism department.

He will never be a top fighter, even in the very unlikely scenario that he develops his ground game well enough to survive on the ground and keep fights standing for a decent amount of time he will just get run over standing instead. His chin looks mighty suspect and his defense isn't good enough to cover for it. He doesn't even have all that impressive power considering he took 3 rounds to get a questionable finish over The Colossus and just about everyone knocks him out with their first real hit.

It all takes time and I think he has shown the dedication to do so. I don't think he will ever be a top notch fighter either, but he could be a challenger for sure. If he picks up just enough to add to his bag of tricks from a few different people it could make all the difference in the world for this guy. Will he ever see a UFC belt, prolly not. Will he put asses in seats for the UFC, prolly yes. And I think that is what Dana and Lorenzo see in him and that is why they are prolly encouraging him to get in with a good gym and learn as much as he can so they can use him as soon as possible and not look stupid for doing so.

You guys have to realize that Kimbo just got into MMA. He's a baby to mma, so of course he's going to suck at the ground game. You don't just walk in on your first day with a really good ground game it takes time like a year or may be two to get a excellent ground game.

You guys have to realize that Kimbo just got into MMA. He's a baby to mma, so of course he's going to suck at the ground game. You don't just walk in on your first day with a really good ground game it takes time like a year or may be two to get a excellent ground game.

More like ten years, but I agree with your general point. Kimbo's been competing in professional MMA for about 23 months. I'm not sure when he started training with Rutten, or when exactly the TUF fights we're seeing occurred, but we can safely say that he'd been training in MMA for at least a year at the time of his fight with Nelson. Some guys can develop an adequate ground game in that amount of time.

Well, he was a football player in High School, and was on the practice squad once for the Miami Dolphins once. That's a start in the athleticism department.

It's not a start. Potential only lasts for so long.

Sports are like a giant pyramid.

At the bottom it's all inclusive.

At the top, not so much. A guy who was good in high school can't just go on cruise control, not accomplish much, and grow into a solid professional athlete at 35.

More like ten years, but I agree with your general point. Kimbo's been competing in professional MMA for about 23 months. I'm not sure when he started training with Rutten, or when exactly the TUF fights we're seeing occurred, but we can safely say that he'd been training in MMA for at least a year at the time of his fight with Nelson. Some guys can develop an adequate ground game in that amount of time.

Honestly, he was not even close to adequate. He would have looked light years better if he took a week of jiu-jitsu at a decent school. The only thing worse than laying flat on your back with your legs open and your arms extended horizontally is turning over and letting someone get on your back. I guarantee if you take an average guy off the street that is passionate about learning he could develop pretty decent sub defense and probably a few other weapons on the ground.

Bas Rutten is not known for his ground work, but I'm sure he taught Kimbo some basic things that helped Bas transition from only stand up fighting (similar to Kimbo) to MMA. Only difference is that Bas' body and mind were already used to the rigors of martial arts training. Either way his knowledge could still be passed on to Kimbo. Kimbo either couldn't learn or didn't want to. Bas has said that Kimbo lost interest in training ground work before they parted ways, so i'm going with didn't want to for 500 points. He probably already reconsidered after the way Nelson dominated him on the ground though.

Word on the street is that Kimbo has been at ATT since the end of the show...Who trains at ATT - Marcelo Garcia, nuff said.

hopefully it pays off and he learns some ground work

Honestly, he was not even close to adequate.

I agree. I was a little surprised, because in the training portion of the show, it looked like he had learned some moves since we saw him struggle against Thompson. Just goes to show that a "gym champ" doesn't necessarily bring all his skills into the cage. But I suppose most of us knew that already. B)

I agree. I was a little surprised, because in the training portion of the show, it looked like he had learned some moves since we saw him struggle against Thompson. Just goes to show that a "gym champ" doesn't necessarily bring all his skills into the cage. But I suppose most of us knew that already. B)

Oh man I see this all the time at the gym.

Good guy drills technique perfectly in training and then has a perfect oppurtunity to put it into action while rolling each and every day after that, but doesn't even realize it or if he does he doesnt bother to try.

This is common with really competitive people. They hesitate to try things they have learned because they fear losing, so they just do what they have always been doing and what is natural. Some guys even feel like there is a winner and loser in sparring which mostly leads to them destroying any chance they had of developing into something decent. You'd be surprised how many skilled guys will just lay on top of a much less skilled sparring partner in side control during sparring like it's about to go to the judge's score cards. If you don't try something to the point that it doesn't feel foreign to you then you are wasting your time.

The only guy should be competing with in training is yourself.