Sucker Punch Pro Series (Unrestrained) Opens in Sydney

HareRumpler

Main Card Bout #1: Featherweights

Mickey DIsmantle (3-2-1) vs. Hiki Antsa (3-3-0)

Donkey, I’m just a little bit surprised here man! Antsa comes into this fight, the opener of the Main Card, just a little bit off and unprepared morale wise. That’s not like him, so you have to wonder what’s got him off his game and his confidence a bit shaken? I’m wondering if it’s the two losses in a row he’s suffered now over the past couple months, both to strikers and both via KO? Well, if that is the case, he better get his head on straight and fast before this fight tonight man, because DIsmantle is a man who has no issue with taking your head off if you don’t have it on a swivel!

Antsa is accustomed, at least prior to the last pair of fights, to winning via TKO or submission, whatever it takes, while on the ground. And if he can get it to the ground tonight, he’ll certainly have this thing where he wants it against a man who historically has preferred the fight not go there. Once there, he uses a varied attack and mixes it up, taking what he can get and then opportunistically locking down a submission, or continuing to pound on you if not!

DIsmantle only has two losses on his career…an early one back in May when he first joined Sucker Punch via a TKO on the ground…and then one a few months back against Skywalker who found a way to get a submission. Both losses were a result of being on the ground. So no, DIsmantle would probably prefer it not go there. But…likely he’s also been working on that end of things! Last month, he bounced back from that Skywalker loss followed by a draw with Ecce Homo to get back to what he likes to do…a first round TKO over Ripper Stallone. If things go according to this man’s plan, Antsa will only see the ground tonight after DIsmantle puts him there…out cold!

Donkey, what else have you got for us…?

Donkey’s Pick: Antsa via TKO (Strikes)

I truly believe that DIsmantle has been working on the ground game Hare. But…I also believe Antsa has continued to work on and strengthen his as well! I have a feeling this gets to the ground…and I’m going to go against my morale thing on this one and go with a gut feeling that he can get it there and control the fight. But I’ll tell you for a fact, I’m hoping to see DIsmantle display some solid ground skill development and make it back to the feet again, making it any man’s fight from there!

............................................................................................

It really is refreshing proving Donkey wrong!

• Upvote 3

I think at HW Sith Rebel although not the champion is the guy to beat. Outside of a total fluke loss to TNT this guy is a beast. He's a little one dimensional still for the champ but he will cause so much problems for anyone trying to get in the top 5 rankings.

Co-Main Event: Heavyweights

Sith Rebel (4-1-0) vs. James White (6-0-0)

Our Co-Main Event is going to be one monster bout this evening Donkey! Wow, I tell you, for a non-title fight card, this card is friggin’ outstanding and I’m so thrilled we’re having it at The Bridge to celebrate Fright Night this year! Maybe next year, it’ll be even bigger and Fright Night will be at one of the BIGGGGGG superdome type arenas? You never know! But there is nothing wrong with an intimate gathering of 10,000 screaming, maniacal fans!

Oh, did I get sidetracked there? Sorry Donkey! Anyways…yeah, White is coming into this fight 6-0 and is looking to walk out of this thing with a number seven involved! And not “total fights”. Led by Danny Jones, White has been nothing but eager to get in there, mix it up and, most importantly, hungry for wins! He’s focused, he’s balanced in all areas of MMA and he’s coming off two wins already in Sucker Punch since he’s joined us! This man can go the distance…or…he can turn this into a terrorizing experience for you by grabbing hold of things you don’t want him to grab ahold off and twisting! Damnit Donkey, again, YOU KNOW THAT’S NOT WHAT I MEANT!!! Stop that. Ok, fine, in this case, I admit, it’s not what I meant…but damn would I be on my feet screaming if he did it…but then again, so would Rebel! Haha. Maybe not on his feet though…definitely screaming…damnit, there I go, on a tangent again!

So yeah, White will want this fight on the ground most likely. If history serves and all that. Rebel…well, Rebel has only lost once in his career and that was via a submission to Tnt Winner, who pulled that one out of God knows where! That doesn’t mean that this fight won’t go to the ground. No, Rebel is a man WITH a cause…and that cause is to inflict as much pain on you as he pummels you silly after he takes your ass to the ground! Now, obviously that said, he’s going to have to be VERY wary of getting caught making a mistake, leaving an arm or leg…or hell, even his head…in there a bit too long or temptingly if he’s fortunate enough to get top position and be dishing out the punishment.

Donkey, so a ground battle ya think…?

Donkey’s Pick: White via Submission (Guillotine)

I think that’s probably a safe bet Hare! And what a battle it will be…two fantastically skilled fighters on the ground, but with completely different approaches and intents! The key to this entire thing is going to be position. Rebel cannot get stuck on his back or he’s in for a rough go of it. However, even if he gets the top position, as you said, he better be very careful. That’s where he needs to be, but he needs to stay focused the entire time or White will finish this thing even from the bottom!

• Upvote 2

I think at HW Sith Rebel although not the champion is the guy to beat. Outside of a total fluke loss to TNT this guy is a beast. He's a little one dimensional still for the champ but he will cause so much problems for anyone trying to get in the top 5 rankings.

The fact that Sith went and knocked out James who, frankly, I did honestly think would win that...is just crazy cool...not for James obviously, but this card as a whole was friggin' smoking with great fights! And that one was a shocker!

Beam coming back from getting his entire world rocked was also an amazing comeback fight! Overall, man, I can't say enough about all the guys who stepped it up for this card...no titles on the line, yet our guys made it one of the top three I think rated events we've ever had. That's friggin' insane! I literally sat there reading through the card after looking at the stats for it first just beaming, I mean...I know it sounds completely stupid...but just beaming with pride over what our boys pulled off last night! It made the effort to do both write-ups totally worth it and you guys definitely came through mah Sucker Punch crew!

• Upvote 2

http://mmatycoon.com/images/posters/1604006042SPPS_Poster_20_b.gif

Post Event Cheap Shots

Sucker Punch Pro Series 20

Hello again all you ghouls and boys! Yeah, yeah, I know so cheesy, but it’s a holiday full of that so I’m just going with it I’m Hare Rumpler along with my partner and analyst Donkey “Dan” and the ultra-talented Suzy Sucker Punch, our media correspondent! Well, the night for tricks and treats is over…and wow, did we have a ton of treats in this one! And quite a few tricks in the cage as well!

This event surprised me beyond my wildest dreams folks and I can’t thank our managers and fighters enough for that! We had no title fights on the line for this card. Yet, I had already signed the dotted line earlier in the month and committed us to The Bridge, a 10,000 person arena. Ooof. Yes, I was a little worried that we might not be able to pull off the hype for that venue! But damn, even without titles on the line, you guys brought it so hard and heavy, so full of energy and with compelling fights that lit that place up…and we packed that house, 10,000 strong baby!!!! YES! It was one of our five best rated events in SPPS history, possibly even one of our top three! Damn. All I can say…damn. You guys make me proud!

Shadow Warrior Nutrition always sets us up brilliantly at these events, dishing out the samples and generally creating a party atmosphere with the swag and games and general craziness they bring all around the concourse! For those who want their boys to come prepared with the best training possible, these are the guys to visit! Their Shadow Warrior Tea 160Q is the best energy loss reduction supplement money can buy and will keep your fighter in the gym training rather than sitting days out resting! Check them out today, you will NOT be disappointed!

Now, let's get to it!

Undercard Bout #1: Featherweights

Yzzof Raeb Defeats Rylee Mannion via TKO (Strikes)

First one of the evening up, first one down for you Donkey, and with the perfect call! Nicely done. Although this wasn’t really a tough one to make.

Mannion came in a little bit unprepared for this fight after taking it on short notice. Although, as I said in the preview, to be fair, it appeared this may have been standard procedure for the kid and his management. As such, he was at a disadvantage in the fight. So much for finding out what Raeb’s morale might look like with a loss!

I’m frankly shocked this one even made it through the first and into the second round. It shouldn’t have given the situation, and that’s actually something that concerns me a little bit that perhaps Raeb doesn’t have a killer instinct. My plan was for Raeb to use a combination of being in and out of the clinch, using the clinch to soften up Mannion and then boxing to finish it off. Towards the end of the first, that seemed to be working, as Raeb actually rocked Mannion after coming out of the clinch…but was unable to put him away.

However, just before the two minute mark in the second, after once again taking Mannion into the clinch, Raeb was able to sneak a nasty uppercut through that dropped Mannion and from there it was just a matter of pouring on the abuse until the incompetent ref realized maybe he should stop this thing!

Donkey, anything to add…?

Donkey’s Takeaways:

Not a lot Hare! You already more than hinted at the biggest potential takeaway from this one and that would have been the implications for you if Raeb was to lose. Seeing what that morale drop is like would be huge, but since he walked away with the W there’s no chance to do that here. Other than that, this was a one-off fight for both with us, so…meh…doesn’t mean a lot other than a nice warm up for the overall card!

Undercard Bout #2: Middleweights

Jim Beam Defeats Kiryu Kazuma via Submission (Triangle Choke)

So we’re jumping right into the craziness here with the second fight of the evening! And by that…I mean…this thing had a lot of both tricks and treats involved for everybody than I think I, and especially Donkey who picked Kazuma to win, expected!

Both men were flirting around with the clinch for the first minute of this fight and then in the second, as things moved out of the clinch, Beam took a cut after a heck of a combination from Kazuma! I was seriously sitting there going, “Seriously? Is Donkey going to nail this cuts call?”. Not more than forty-five or so more seconds in this happened…and had me thinking that this thing was about to be ALL OVER!...

Kazuma cracks Beam with a big right hand that sends him to the floor! Beam looks wobbly but he's sprung back up to his feet straight away… can Kazuma finish him? Beam is rocked!

But Beam bounced back, recovered and this thing was still on! Amazing frankly, that was a brutal shot that dropped him and I think anybody in their right mind would have thought that the end was close after seeing him go down! More clinching for a minute or two which might not have been a good thing for Kazuma as I think that aided Beam’s recover.

But here’s where I think the mistake came into play for Kazuma…after losing to Yi last month on the ground via submission…he was up against another ground based guy. And he decided to take it to the ground. Yes, he put it into Beam’s court…and within a minute of doing that, Beam was off and trying for the submissions! First a triangle attempt…no joy. Then a guillotine try after Kazuma left his head in there…but nothing. Quickly…back to the triangle…which looked like it wasn’t going to get things done…until suddenly it was tightened up and it was! Ooooh boy, and that was it, and Kazuma was left wondering why he took this fight to the basement!

What do you think Donkey…?

Donkey’s Takeaways:

An unbelievable turn of events there and although Kazuma hadn’t thrown a ton of shots in the fight, it was the two that landed that looked like this was going to be his…despite Beam technically outworking him both in and out of the clinch. Maybe that’s why he took it to the ground…because while that shot almost finished Beam, overall he wasn’t getting enough opportunities? I think a bit more patience might have served him well. Beam does a wonderful job with the recovery and really showed something there folks! With that, Beam goes to 3-3 and more importantly is 3-1 in his last four! Definitely on the right track. Kazuma though is finding the transition from GDL to Sucker Punch to be a rough one so far. We’ll have to see what happens as he starts to face some strikers as opposed to ground guys for a change.

Suzy got with a slightly dizzy Beam back in the waiting area later…

Suzy Sucker Punch: Jim, that was an insane turnabout of a fight! Can you believe you managed to come out on top? I know Donkey and Hare will be talking about the heart it takes to stay in it and manage to not only survive but win after what you just went through!

Jim Beam: Dudeeee, I don't even remember what happened after that guy knocked me down earlier. I just remember him punching me, then later, I triangle chocked him. I looked that one up on youtube a few days ago, can't believe I pulled it off in a fight!

Suzy Sucker Punch: You sound as amazed and thrilled with the way this went down as we and the fans are! Enjoy the celebration tonight!

Undercard Bout #3: Welterweights

Alex Driver Defeats DJ Costune via KO (Head Kick)

Wow, Driver came out in this fight and literally decided to shove all of my statements right up my you know what Donkey! Yes, my donkey. But not you Donkey, my…nevermind. Apparently he didn’t like my saying that he tends to drag fights out and take them the distance, not throwing the heavy stuff. Then he must have decided that he didn’t like my saying that he tends to fall to heavy hitters like Costune. On both of those counts, he decided to show me how wrong I could be!

These boys both came out with the feet, the fists and everything else flying! Costune was going heavy on the combos in a big way, but not really landing many and it was tending to wear him down a bit. Driver was mixing it up, and while most of his strikes were missing with the hands, he was landing body kicks and leg kicks that were putting a hurting on Costune’s body and slowing him down.

But it was the head kicks these two were throwing every so often that were going to end up being what every fan ended up talking about at the end of the night…because this right here is very likely the KO of the Night Donkey…

Driver drops Costune with a beautiful combination! Costune stares up at his opponent, who ushers him back to his feet - Driver is looking for the KO! Costune is rocked!

Costune is still on wobbly legs! Can Driver finish him?

Driver feints a jab and as Costune dips his head, Driver unleashes a brutal head kick that catches Costune right on the jaw! Timbeeer! Costune falls backwards in slow motion, only propped up by the cage! Driver smiles a psychotic smile as he stares down his unconscious opponent. That is a scary man.

Over to you Donkey…?

Donkey’s Takeaways:

A scary man indeed! That right there was a brutal kick and the look on Driver’s face afterward makes you wonder if this man enjoys this just a little too much! With the win Driver makes it two in a row and three of his last four. This is a man who is definitely turning things around after some early struggles and has used the losses to Marka as motivation to make himself stronger and better than ever before! I can’t wait to see what he has in store for us next month! For Costune this has to be beyond frustrating. I mean, this is a man who was considered a top contender in the division just three months ago and had a shot at the title. Now, ever since losing in that title shot, he seems to have spiraled a little out of control and one has to wonder if his confidence has been shaken? For a man who lives and dies by the KO or TKO…he’s been on the wrong end of them over the past three fights. He’ll be facing a formidable Marchionni next month and needs to come out of there with a victory, some how, some way, in the worst way!

Undercard Bout #4: Lightweights

Guy River Defeats Rey Bargos via TKO (Strikes)

Here’s what I said in the preview about Bargos’ intentions for this fight:

While there’s no guarantee that Bargos won’t take this fight to the ground…and from what we’ve been told, he’s been working on that ground game…normally you’d think he’s going to go with what works and try for a good ole beat down from the feet! But all that talk from his camp about focusing on the grappling, working on the ground game…Donkey, is that just a smoke and mirrors thing, distract and make us second guess…and River…or could he maybe be intending to use it? We’ll find out!

Turns out, we had reason to be suspicious! Bargos definitely changed it up in this one and decided he wanted this in the clinch…and on the ground. What we don’t know is whether that was simply out of respect for River’s abilities on the feet or if it was an attempt to be less predictable and change things up a bit. Perhaps a little of both.

River was getting the better of this one in both areas of standup. He was active and accurate with his shots and they were landing with something behind them. Bargos on the other hand was solely focused on attempting to clinch and then, once in the clinch offering a couple strikes but mostly attempting to get it to the ground.

The fight did make it to the ground. But once down there, River was able to control and hold off Bargos’ attempts to better his position and therefore able to take advantage and get back to the feet without seeing too much trouble. That’s pretty much how the first round went.

The second round was a different story, with River starting to firmly take control and able to dictate that the fight would stay separated and the striking from distance would continue! Ninety seconds into the round, River had established his dominance with the striking. With a series of not so subtle jabs that had Bargos’ legs feeling a bit mushy and then a tackle into the cage for the clinch…River set it up and delivered…

Oh Bargos is still all over the place! His legs are completely gone! Will he be able to recover?!! River lands a big right hand that drops Bargos! The killer instinct kicks in and River finishes his opponent with a series of strikes from mount. A dominating finish by River!

What do you have there Donkey…?

Donkey’s Takeaways:

One has to wonder if Bargos’ confidence is broken after the KO from Giuliani last month as he seemed to be timid when figuring out to go about things this month against River. That led to River establishing control and after River fended off Bargos on the ground this entire fight started to slip from Bargos. Congrats to River for going after it and making it happen! With that win he bounces back to .500 at 2-2 and looks to start extending the wins going forward. For Bargos, a big bounce back win against Aldo next month is just what the doctor ordered to heal a broken soul! But he better come ready to go, because Aldo has proven he can swing em and swing em hard…fists, feet, knees…you name it!

Undercard Bout #5: Lightweights

Kira Yoshikage Defeats Walter Sobchak via Submisson (Triangle)

Not gonna lie Donkey, it almost seemed like Yoshikage came into this fight knowing that Sobchak’s head wasn’t in the right place…and rather than finish him off fast, decided to basically dish out abuse and make him pay for coming unprepared for the entire first round!

Yoshikage got a takedown early after these two exchanged a few pleasantries on the feet. From there, Yoshkage proceeded to dish out a literal beating on Sobchak with some nasty ground and pound! He didn’t even bother going to his normal submission moves in the first, instead spending the entire round raining down fists, elbows, you name it on poor Sobchak. He’d advance when he could, and by the end of the round had actually mounted Sobchak and I gotta tell ya, this one looked like Yoshikage was heading towards finishing this via a KO on the ground or strikes!

Instead, the just continued to torture Sobchak for another minute or so till the bell gave Sobchak a little relief. Starting the second round, Sobchak actually got a couple shots in on Yoshikage that looked like they hurt, going to the body and really pushing the wind out of Yoshikage. After taking a couple like that it appeared that Yoshikage decided enough with the playtime and proceeded to take this to the ground again…only this time, with the intent to finish and stop playing! First a guillotine attempt, but rejected…and then…a nasty triangle that literally wrapped things up!

It was a clean, brutal fight for Yoshikage and he went in there and got it done Donkey!

Donkey’s Takeaways:

Absolutely, that’s about as good as you can hope for a fight to go Hare, and Yoshikage did just about everything right short of taking a few shots he might have wanted to avoid. But hey, can’t get too spoiled and forget what it feels like to get hit! Sobchak barely put up a fight and hopefully his manager learned how important it is to come prepared to a fight! Morale, up! Energy, up! Both requirements man! For Yoshikage, two wins in a row since switching to MMA and initially dropping his first fight has him definitely on the right track! He’ll get a chance to really test himself next month against Waampa Woodoo!

Main Card Bout #1: Featherweights

Mickey DIsmantle Defeats Hiki Antsa via Submission (Strikes)

We head into the main card here and Donkey, it’s not often you see a submission from strikes man! But we certainly got one here! Mickey was probably strutting his stuff after this one going, “Yeah, you see that? I can submit em too!”. Haha! And this after you picked Antsa Donkey…wow, you know Mickey’s gonna have words for you at some point!

DIsmantle had it going in the first minute or so of the fight, and was working Antsa over well with the strikes. Definitely getting the best of Hiki there. But then Antsa did the smart thing and got a takedown, which is typically right where he wants to be to get his best work in. And certainly not Mickey’s favorite place to be! DIsmantle was mostly defensive for the remainder of the round, trying his best to control Antsa rather than taking TOO much abuse…and was doing a “so-so” job, avoiding the worst, but definitely taking the shots. It wasn’t hard to see how Antsa got that first round.

The second round started similar to the first, and this was where DIsmantle basically seemed to decide that there was no way he was waiting to see if Antsa had more for him down on that damned ground! Instead, as they started the feeling out process again, he took it to Antsa and ended this thing before Hiki could once again gain the advantage…

DIsmantle fakes a right and follows up with a big left that drops Antsa to one knee - oooooh, he's wobbly! Antsa looks to clinch but DIsmantle throws him off and pummels him into the canvas! Antsa taps out under the strikes! The fight is over!

Donkey’s Takeaways:

Well, it’s like you said Hare, not often you see a submission to strikes…usually a guy has to have the ref jump in and call it…but Antsa had enough and was tapping out asking for now more from DIsmantle in this one! You know those strikes of DIsmantle’s have to be vicious to get a guy to literally say they’re done, they don’t want to fight anymore! DIsmantle now has a run of two going and will look to make it three next month. If he can do that, there’s a good chance chatter about “contendership” may start up again about this man! For Antsa, he was in a position where he could have been top contender not long ago but lost a fight to Cobain for that honor. Since then, he seems to be struggling to find his way and against the more advanced fighters in the division is having a tough time finishing things off on the ground. He’s likely going to have to go back and talk to his team about what’s working, what’s not, and what they need to tweak and work on to help him get it done!

Main Card Bout #2: Lightweights

Francois Oosthuizen Defeats Conor Aldo via Unanimous Decision

Our next one went the distance Donkey, and this quite frankly was an awesome fight where these two gave it everything for a full fifteen minutes! This is the second time in a row that Oosthuizen has taken things the distance and pulled out the win, so we’ll have to see if that’s generally his approach or just the way it worked out in these last two fights! And there was a potential title shot on the line here with the winner going on to get a go at the champ next month so you know both of these guys wanted it!

The only thing that got a bit strange about this fight was Oosthuizen’s determination to take it to the ground. But once there, he really didn’t seem like he had a feel for what he wanted to do and how to get it done. You can chalk that up to Aldo frustrating him and controlling things potentially, or maybe Oosthuizen was just content to get the takedowns and score the points knowing he’d done enough when on the feet to win the decision? That’s possible.

But the three rounds of this fight were pretty similar. Some striking form the feet, mostly boxing, with Oosthuizen occasionally going for and half the time getting the takedown. Once down there, a struggle for position but not a lot more.

Donkey, anything…?

Donkey’s Takeaways:

This win earned a shot at the title for Oosthuizen…and now he better be prepared to bring everything he’s got to the cage against none other than Frankie Logan! Frankie is not going to tolerate just being “controlled” so this will get interesting very quickly when these two get going! For Aldo, not the debut at Sucker Punch he’d been hoping for after coming in with a two win streak going from GDL. But he’ll certainly get a chance to show what he’s got and that he’s ready for the competition here next month as he faces off with a very hungry Rey Bargos!

Main Card Bout #3: Featherweights

Jake Drake Defeats Warran Peace via Submission (Kimura)

This fight turned into exactly what we suspected it might Donkey. Normally I’d have expected this to be an absolutely stellar affair…but Peace came into this thing completely unprepared and off his game. It’s crazy really, he could have potentially been champion by now if he was coming to the fights ready to go!

Instead, this ended up a submission by Drake in the second. But what it really ended up being was just a good old fashioned beatdown! Drake may have technically won via submission, but the reality is, he could have just kept pummeling Peace a little longer and it would have been a TKO (Strikes) instead. Drake laid into Peace for an entire round on the ground. I mean, just shot after shot, some landing, some not, but just generally a torrential downpour of strikes. And Peace did nothing…he never threw a punch, never tried a sub, never even really tried to improve position much outside one move. He tried to control, he tried to cover up and prevent shots, but he was just in there to be a punching bag offering nothing.

After the first round, Drake changed it up slightly in the second and mixed in a few sub attempts here and there in between the continued abuse, beating Peace like a red-headed stepchild. Finally, once Peace had truly shown there was no fight in him, Drake put this away via Kimura. Frankly, I’m surprised Peace didn’t just tap out on the first strike with so little fight in him.

Donkey, what can you add…?

Donkey’s Takeaways:

We get that Drake is likely headed towards top contendership at some point in the near future. But that’s no reason to just give up and not try. And that’s what Peace did. Drake is good. He’s not god though, and you are allowed to try to fight back. Peace needs to figure out what’s going on in his head, and why his manager seems so disinterested in having him come ready to compete, or unfortunately what looked like a great career ahead of him is going to be in ruins and he’ll be out of the game. We figure next month’s fight with Ripper Stallone will tell us if Peace is truly done. In the meantime, Drake gets back on his horse after an unexpected loss to Skywalker two fights ago and we’ll see how quickly he gets to that shot!

Co-Main Event: Heavyweights

Sith Rebel Defeats James White via KO (Strikes)

Donkey! I don’t even know what to say here! I mean, we knew White would try to get this to the ground and try for a submission. And he got the takedowns…two of them after a ref standup following the first. But then…wow…um, this whole thing went sideways for him! Sith Rebel basically turned the tables when White wasn’t fully focused…and bam…this thing got vicious and crazy all at once! Talk about the ultimate trick or treat! Rebel pulls off a fast one and bounces out of this thing with a victory that nobody saw coming! Let’s just let the play by play do the talking from here Donkey!

There's not a lot going on here and the crowd are letting the fighters know they're not willing to tolerate a lack of action.

Rebel is working for an escape here. He's hooked one of White's legs and he's managed to sneak out and take White's back!

Rebel loading up with punches from the back mount - how long can White hold on? White tries to escape the position. Rebel has White flattened out and is raining down punches.

Rebel lands a big punch and White is covering up! Another big shot separates White from consciousness and this one is all over!

Wow…Donkey, just wow eh…?

Donkey’s Takeaways:

Insane sudden turnabout of events there at the end...I mean, what the hell, White had the advantage, was in the position he wanted to be in...and then bam! With the flip of a switch Rebel had turned things around and was immediately dominant in putting this away! Crazy. But it had been a crazy night and this was fitting. With that win, Rebel goes to 5-1 and completes a trio of wins in a row. We're going to start to hear the rumble and chorus of folks who think he's ready for a title shot soon especially after also taking out up and comer Rick Hatton last month. Who can blame them? With only a freak loss to Tnt Winner, he has a valid case. For White, this is mega disappointing no doubt...the man was undefeated and looked to be in a good position in this one to go to 7-0! Instead, he now sits at 6-1 with that beautiful goose egg gone! I pity the next person he gets a chance to take it out on!

Main Event: Featherweights

Jack Sparrow (3-3-0) vs. Destin Craven (3-3-0)

For the Main Event…and a Top Contender battle to see if Craven was ready for a title shot…we were expecting an absolute battle. Sparrow had been talking like he was a bit down of late and was expecting a loss in this one. We were sure if that was just gamesmanship or if he really was just not in the right head space. Well, we found out in just under a minute!

Sparrow’s game is all about the ground so it was no surprise where after they tested each other on the feet for a few this thing went straight to the ground, by Sparrow’s doing. What we didn’t expect was that within twenty seconds of that happening, Sparrow, and accomplished ground specialist, would fall victim to a pretty standard mistake!

Craven was trying to get Sparrow with a triangle from the bottom and Sparrow was having none of it. Instead, Sparrow was maneuvering to start some serious ground and pound as he tends to do…and as he postured up to start raining some strikes down…he left his arm in a dangerous spot…and before anybody realized what was happening Craven had a hold of that thing and was cranking for the bar! Sparrow realized the danger too late and tried to roll out of it but Craven’s eyes were those of a man possessed and he was not letting that opportunity go…and this thing was…as they say…ALL OVER!

Donkey…?

Donkey’s Takeaways:

I’m still awestruck with the way these last two fights of the night ended and how crazy they were! Craven pulls off the big one here and gets himself a title shot! Sparrow, as much as he may have sounded like he was ready for defeat, probably still can’t believe that this happened, must less the way it happened. That’s not a mistake he’s going to make very often. But…a good opponent will not let those opportunities go by when they present…and Craven certainly did not! Craven is off to fight the champion next month. Sparrow…well, Sparrow has now been talking of retirement. Or a chance at a rematch with Craven, but Craven is now occupied with training and prep. Sparrow still doesn’t seem to have any interest in taking his shot at the championship either if he could come back and win, and has essentially permanently nixed that idea and opportunity by turning down the next potential ground based fight with Sitsongrit. We’ll have to see where we go from here.

Destin Craven: (From the cage with the announcer after the fight) Woohoo! Told you I'd kick this guys ass! He INSISTED on making this a ground fight and we all know what happens when you grapple with me. Give me that title fight Hare! I'm ready!

So there we have it Sucker Punch fans!

Overall, man, I can't say enough about all the guys who stepped it up for this card...no titles on the line, yet our guys made it one of the top three I think rated events we've ever had. That's friggin' insane! I literally sat there reading through the card after looking at the stats for it first just beaming, I mean...I know it sounds completely stupid...but just beaming with pride over what our boys pulled off at Fright Night! It made the effort to do both write-ups totally worth it and you guys definitely came through mah Sucker Punch crew! Cannot wait to get our boys back at it this coming Wednesday at SPPS 21!

Till then…remember…

Keep it cheap and dirty…Sucker Punch Pro Series 355k+ style!

• Upvote 5

http://www.mmatycoon.com/images/posters/1604451350SPPS_Poster_21.png

Sucker Punch Preview

Sucker Punch Pro Series 21

Hey everybody, we’re back again! I’m Hare Rumpler along with my partner and analyst Donkey “Dan” and the illustrious Suzy Sucker Punch, our media correspondent! We’re about to look forward to the action on tap for Sucker Punch Pro Series 21 over at Schooners Bar this week in Sydney!

A lot of fun on deck for us here as we look forward to a Light Heavyweight, well, heavy, card that also has a smattering of other bouts mixed in. We’ll start off with a Featherweight battle and then midway through the undercard we’ll also have a Middleweight contest to break things up a bit. Then, we jump all the way to the Co-Main and Main events before we finish with the rest of the Light Heavyweights…with the Co-Main Event being a Welterweight battle between Chaz Campbell and Carter Ortiz. Finishing things off for the evening will be a huge title fight between Kurt Cobain and challenger Michael Aalto!

But even before all that fun, as we said, there are a ton of Light Heavyweight contests set to go...six to be exact…and you know the Light Heavyweights always bring it for the crowd! That’s going to be a lot of fun as it’s a weight class that promises some serious KO action, but at the same time you’re not crazy surprised if they go to the ground and work out the subs or ground and pound as well!

So there we go, a quick look ahead, but now let’s get a word from our sponsor and merchandise partner and then we’re off…

http://mmatycoon.com/images/company/logo/1584375781SWN.jpg

Shadow Warrior Nutrition will be on hand at the event at the event, and I cannot say enough about how much we appreciate having them as our merchandise partner and sponsor here at Sucker Punch! Do yourself a favor…better yet, do your fighters who you spend so much time developing and preparing a favor…and stop by the stand to grab some of their Shadow Warrior Tea 160Q. It is literally the best energy loss reduction supplement money can buy and will keep your fighter in the gym training rather than sitting days out resting! Stop on over there today, you will NOT be disappointed!

Now, let's get to it!

Yellow Belt Casey (3-2-0) vs. Akara Kongsangchai (1-3-0)

We start the evening out with two Featherweights who both come in just a little off on morale. Not enough that it should make a big difference…and since both are off anyways, it’s a balance.

Kongsangchai is a balanced fighter with wonderful Muay Thai. He’s on what can only be described at best as a very rough three fight losing streak since joining us at Sucker Punch and is undoubtedly hoping that this week's event is going to be a change of fortunes in that cage! He mixes it up really well in the cage…but some might say possibly a little too well as his attacks seems to lack some focus and intent on what he wants to use as his strengths. He’ll strike standing, he’ll kick, he’ll throw combos, he’ll definitely clinch…boy will he try to clinch…a lot…but the issue is that once in the clinch he’s not overly aggressive so the time spent there isn’t definitive and productive with the judges. This fight will be an interesting test to see if he’s decided to focus in on what works best for him and use it to really take control of a fight.

Casey, previously managed by Aylib 2.0, is now managed by Brad Bombada and this will be his first time managing here in Sucker Punch! Casey has remarkable boxing, proficient Muay Thai and decent wrestling…but combined with a very nice brown belt in Jiu Jitsu. He had mixed results under his former manager here in Sucker Punch with a win over Adrian Petrov but then a loss last month to Michael Aalto that could have potentially earned him a title shot. Instead, he’ll be looking to prove he’s still on that track with a win over Casey this week. Casey can definitely pull off a submission as shown against Petrov, but if not able to get it to the ground is comfortable boxing and doesn’t shy away from trying to take the fight to the clinch. Given that Kongsangchai loves to clinch, I expect this fight to end up there quite a bit, but potentially move to the ground if that’s where Casey wants it.

Donkey, how about this one…?

Donkey’s Pick: Casey via Submission (Armbar)

I think the ground game may be the difference maker, but we have to see how new manager Brad Bombada likes to coach this kid. That’s a bit of a question mark, so a lot to be learned. Kongsangchai has lacked focus and intent as you said Hare, so until we see him start to have a definitive plan we’re not convinced he can finish. And I don’t think this one goes to a decision.

Undercard Bout #2: Light Heavyweights

Tito Slamcock (4-3-0) vs. Ian Justino (3-3-0)

Well, I can already tell you who Donkey will bet on in this next bout, because Justino is coming in with his morale at about 75% and his energy off just a smidge! Slamcock isn’t at 100% for either, but he’s not that far off on the morale.

Justino needs to come up with a win here lest he fall victim to a three fight losing streak. The loss to Julian Rourke last month was not the way he was looking to start his Sucker Punch run but certainly coming in with the morale low will not put the best foot forward. He’s a balanced fighter with respectable to mediocre skills across the disciplines. Against Rourke he was aggressive in trying to get takedowns, succeeding on two out of the twenty plus he tried. The issue being that once down there, his ground and pound was largely ineffective and failed to land when offered. He’ll hope to find another path to victory in this contest against Slamcock.

Slamcock is emerging from a disappointing loss via submission to Wille Thai. Thai is an extremely accomplished ground and submission artist, so once the fight got there, the end was not a surprise. If Justino decides to take the fight to the ground, it will be a good test to for Slamcock to see if his ground skills and defense lie somewhere between the combination of Thai and Justino, or if the ground defense and strategy need a serious overhaul. There’s a good chance this fight stays on the feet though, and if it does, Slamcock should have the advantage both in and out of the clinch given his history.

Donkey’s Pick: Slamcock via TKO (Strikes)

If Justino was coming in with full morale I’d be much more torn about making a pick in this fight. Given he’s not, he’s handed me an easy out and I can take Slamcock without reservations. Taking another loss would be bad for Justino, so he better hope my pick is wrong!

Undercard Bout #3: Middleweights

Longsun Zhao (4-3-0) vs. John Wick (0-6-0)

I was hoping for an absolutely brutal fight here in this one Donkey between Baba Yaga and Zhao, one a dangerous killer and the other a head sniping fiend. Instead, we’re not quite getting the John Wick from the movies. We knew that going in when we signed him, but we also weren’t sure yet what was causing the issues with his record and performance in the cage. We figured he’d see and find out. Well…I don’t know if this has always been the issue, but it appear lack of preparation may be part of it as Wick is a little low on both morale and energy heading into this fight.

It doesn’t appear that the lack of preparation, at least from an energy perspective, is a recurring issue for Wick. We don’t know for sure about the morale. What we do know is that he likes gardening, he likes comics…and he REALLY likes musicals. Based upon his prior three fights where he’s lost via TKO, it appears what he doesn’t like…is being hit! He does like to take the fight to the ground. The issue is, he has a hard time following through and succeeding with that, and when he does, he seems to be a little uncertain about how to go about things once there. We’ll see if he’s managed to start putting all the difference pieces together with this bout!

Zhao is a man who several months ago looked like he was on the fast track to contender status and a shot at the title. He came in big in the Sorter Series tournament but then fell to Psiris Fuhren in the semi’s. Then, he fell to him again in a rematch. After that, with his confidence a little shaken, he lost to an up and coming Nyah Hirst who has now risen to Top Contender status and is slated to take on the champ later this month! Zhao has too much talent to be held down by a rough patch like that though and bounce back in a big way against Luke Glanton last month with a surprise submission victory, something we hadn’t seen since his early days with Sucker Punch! Nice. Back to the roots, back to the diversity of attack! Come this fight, will we see more of that? Or will he switch it back to the nasty attack with the fists and feet that can take a man’s head off? I can’t wait to find out!

Over to you Donkey…?

Donkey’s Pick: Zhao via KO (Head Kick)

Personally, against a fighter who has had a tendency to fall to strikes, I think we see a re-emergence of the highlight reel head kick when this one gets going! This is a tough fight, but also a good solid test for Wick to see if he can use either his ground or standup game effectively to counter what Zhao will attempt to do. It should prove a great barometer for who is where coming out of this fight.

Undercard Bout #4: Light Heavyweights

Ali Hasanov (8-4-0) vs. Ross Rhea (4-4-0)

Apparently this will be a trend on this card Donkey! Fights where the matchup when made really excited me and I was looking forward to really seeing where guys were at and what they had, but then having one come in slightly off and not fully prepared. That’s the case here again, as Rhea comes in with his morale at least 10% or more off. Not a killer, not 50% or something, but every little bit counts and if you lose the fight, you certainly have to wonder afterward if the lack of prep made a difference!

The disappointing part about those opening statements is that Rhea really needs a win. So you’d have thought he’d come in with everything green lit to try to give himself the best chance. Coming off two losses is never fun…facing the prospect of potentially taking another, especially one that might have been avoided…is worse. Rhea has proven he can win via strikes or submission, although he’s also lost via KO and TKO in his past couple, with a particular issue rearing its ugly head again with regard to cuts. Out there, against Hasanov, I would expect him to try to keep this thing on the feet where he has the advantage. If he does, he can’t relax on protecting against the cuts, as can stand and strike although that’s not his intention every time.

This thing should, and probably will, turn into your classic striker vs. grappler contest. Hasanov likes the ground game and has the edge in both areas of wrestling and Jiu Jitsu. That’s not to say that he won’t stand and strike, and he has won that way in the past as well, but when he gets to the ground he loves to use a combination of striking and submission attempts to finish off his opponent one way or another!

Well Donkey…?

Donkey’s Pick: Hasanov via TKO (Cut)

There are multiple ways that Hasanov can finish this one and all of them have a higher probability than normal due to Rhea’s lack of prep coming in. It could end up on the ground and go via a submission. It could go via ground and pound. Or, it could happen on the feet via a KO or possibly due to the cuts issue that has haunted Rhea some. A lot of “outs” as we’d say in poker and for that reason I have to go with Hasanov to get the W.

Undercard Bout #5: Light Heavyweights

John Fury (2-0-0) vs. OJ Simpson (3-1-0)

Donkey, hold onto your shorts man! Yes! We actually have a combo here where both guys are set and ready to get at this thing! Now we’re cooking with gas as my grandma used to say!

Simpson was on a heck of a winning streak with three in a row up until he got stopped last month by Hemmo Karhu via submission. Perhaps having his game exposed a bit to a weak link on the ground. Going forward, we’ll have to see if that was a fluke or if his game isn’t quite complete yet, and that determination may really help determine if Simpson is ready for contendership now or later. He’s got impressive standup skills and can knock a mother out, that’s for sure…and he has! He also has superb wrestling, which likely compliments his Muay Thai more than it results in ground skills as he has but a white belt in Jiu Jitsu.

Simpson will face John Fury…not to be confused with Titus Fury, I don’t even think there’s any relation Donkey…and with that he’ll face a man who has sensational boxing as well and pretty darn good Muay Thai and wrestling. Not the same level as Simpsons there on that last part, but still good. He has a blue belt in Jiu Jitsu though which is marginally better than what Simpson brings to the table in that department. At 2-0, Fury has shown an ability to also take somebody’s head off! He’s an aggressive fighter with his boxing who won’t shy away from the clinch either…and he comes at you hard with KO power.

Any thoughts there Donkey…?

Donkey’s Pick: Simpson via KO (Punch)

Yeah, I think this is going to be one hell of an all-out, throw down, slobberknocker of a fight! There is NO WAY these two go the distance…somebody is waking up with the smelling salts. And I have no idea who it will be! Flip a coin, this one is going to be a blast! Be sure you’re in your seats in time for this one folks!

Main Card Bout #1: Light Heavyweights

Sacrificial Lamb (6-2-0) vs. John Doe (2-0-0)

Donkey, my own boy Sacrificial Lamb is back in action in our next contest as we open up the Main Card here. And he’ll face off against John Doe across the cage there! Doe is a very, very real threat and challenge. Frankly, one I wasn’t too thrilled to take on, but…you can’t dodge guys. And this is a right Doe needs to see if he’s well rounded enough to be on the path to being a contender soon. And also, if he isn’t, to determine if Lamb, with his win last month after the loss of the belt the month before…is still there and racking up wins enough to be in contention?

Doe is undefeated so far at 2-0 with an experienced, strong manager backing his corner. This is the same man who manages our Lightweight champion Frankie Logan and the Welterweight beast known as Vovchanchyn! So yes, the corner comes into play here! Doe came into Sucker Punch las month and put up a KO of the Night in his debut with us. Yeah, that makes Lamb feel good eh? I think he hates me, throwing him to the wolves like this! With all around fantastical…yep, I said fantastical…skills, Doe is going to be one mean customer to deal with, especially when he loads up on those heavy hands of his!

Lamb has historically played a “wear em down” game. He’s got a weak sauce manager who typically tells him to just go out there and don’t embarrass the org much…and as such, he hardly ever listens to what he’s told! This fight’s not likely to be much different. He pulled off his first decision victory last month against Harold Kerzner and there’s a good chance he may be going for the same…if he can stay alive!

Donkey’s Pick: Doe via KO (Punch)

I’m thinking that Lamb is truly becoming what you named him…sacrificial…in this one. Doe has the tools to make this an ugly one for Lamb, much like the Kuznetsov fight…and possibly more so! Lamb doesn’t have the advantage in any given area other than perhaps his ability to “find a way” at times, while Doe should dominate both the clinch as well as with his wrestling…again, another reason to dominate the clinch. Yep, this may be a rough go for poor Lamb!

Main Card Bout #2: Light Heavyweights

Wille Thai (5-1-0) vs. Harold Kerzner (2-3-0)

Another seriously talented fighter who is trying to work himself back into the contender game is Wille Thai, and if he can get past this fight may simply be one rematch with Lamb away from getting a title shot. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves, because as talented as Thai may be and as good as his ground skills are, he has to first focus on what’s right in front of him. And that’s a contest with Harold Kerzner this week!

Kerzner is struggling of late which is surprising because he has plenty of talent. He lost most recently to Lamb last month which is why this is a contest Thai needs to win if he wants to prove something. Kerzner also lost his two fights prior to that, both via TKO, so he has a lot to prove, although one of those fights was against Kuznetsov who took the title from Lamb. Having faced two belt holders in the past three fights is a big ask. With sensational wrestling anda purple belt in Jiu Jitsu, Kerzner is a real threat on the ground and can challenge Thai in that respect. We’ll see what happens when Thai faces a similar fighter with similar leanings. That’s not to say that Kerzner can’t box, he can if he wants, with superb skills in that area.

While Kerzner has sensational wrestling and a purple belt, Thai has remarkable wresting and a brown belt. Not quite the wrestling, but more Jiu Jitsu. So a really great contest here. While Kerzner could decide he wants it on the feet potentially, Thai will not do that. He only has mediocre and feeble boxing and Muay Thai. He’ll want this on the ground…pronto…and be looking for a submission!

Donkey, what are you thinking…?

Donkey’s Pick: Thai via Submission (Kimura)

I think this definitely gets to the ground, that’s what I think, and once there we’re going to find out if wrestling, Jiu Jitsu or positioning on the takedown is more important! This is going to be a stellar ground fight that any enthusiast of that part of MMA is going to be keen to watch! Let’s get it on boys!

Main Card Bout #3: Light Heavyweights

Mike Bard (4-2-0) vs. Joe Junior (4-2-0)

Next up in our final battle before the Main Events is this nasty little contest between 4-2 recordholders Joe Junior and Mike Bard! Junior surprisingly comes into this one with his energy a little off, almost 10% down, and while it won’t hurt if the fight is over early it could play in if the fight drags out.

Junior is coming off back to back wins over Soons Sam and Jerome Blunt. He wants to extend that to three with a win here in this one. With remarkable boxing, Junior will want to stay out of the clinch as he has useless skills there. He also has proficient wrestling and a purple belt in Jiu Jitsu, so it shouldn’t be surprising that on the rare occasion he’s ended up on the ground he hasn’t seemed uncomfortable there. But the majority of his damage comes with the fists while separated.

Bard is well balanced with proficiencies across the board. He had a nice TKO win over Popeye last month but dropped one to Hemmo Karhu the month before, a fighter who’d been being looked at as a possible contender. He’s won three of his last four so he’s hot and ready to rock. He, like Junior, is not afraid of the ground and is willing to throw fists and whatever else down there if the can gain the dominant position. He’s even been known to try for a sub, although not something he’s finished with.

Donkey’s Pick: Junior via TKO (Strikes)

This truly should be a well fought contest and could go either way! I wish Junior had all his energy coming in, because it could play in before this one is over. I’m expecting Bard to use his advantage on the feet for a bit to soften up Junior if he can get him in the clinch, but if he can’t, he better get this to the ground fast because Junior will not play games if they box!

Co-Main Event: Welterweights

Chaz Campbell (6-3-0) vs. Carter Ortiz (6-0-0)

Ortiz comes into this Co-Main event just a smidge low on both morale and energy. That’s ok, Campbell comes into this one just a tad low on morale himself, a bit more than Ortiz. Will that all balance out? Probably.

Ortiz has a perfect 6-0 record and puts that on the line here as he makes his Sucker Punch debut this week! He’s a submission artist with almost zero skills in standup but strong wrestling and a brown belt in Jiu Jitsu. His goal is clear…twisty twist on things that aren’t meant to go where he puts them! He’s especially fond of arms…armbars..arm triangles…americanas…you name it!

Campbell was on a hot streak for a bit and then cooled down, losing back to back fights to talented fighters in Kribbson Johansson and Konrad Wagner. He bounced back last month with a HUGE win over DJ Costune, once considered a top contender! That one earned him KO of the Night honors. He’ll look to extend that and make a strong statement by doing away with that goose egg in Ortiz’s loss column! Campbell is a boxer who likes his combinations! And while not a lot of them land typically, when they do you better look out!

Donkey, so…what do you think…?

Donkey’s Pick: Ortiz via Submission (Kimura)

A ground guy can be very dangerous and Campbell hasn’t been tested a lot on the ground. Ortiz has a perfect record and I’m hesitant to call for an end to something like that without seeing it. But if Campbell can land the right shots early…Ortiz may regret the attempt to come in and get this to the ground!

Main Event: Featherweight Championship

Kurt Cobain (6-1-0) vs. Michael Aalto (4-0-0)

Here we go with the Main Event Donkey! And boy has this been a long time coming! Finally, we re-establish the Featherweight Championship here at Sucker Punch. Cobain was slated to be the top contender against Dankula…and then our champ went MIA and left us high and dry. Hope his manager is ok. But we move along…and now, we have a dance partner for Cobain in Michael Aalto, a talented 4-0 fighter who will bring his best to the cage!

Cobain is the striker. He has strong boxing, exceptional Muay Thai and superb wrestling to compliment it. But, he’s also been working on his ground game, and now has a purple belt in Jiu Jitsu, surprise surprise! So…will this man do…what this man does…? And go for the big KO? He hits like a ton of bricks and usually finishes things in record time. His only loss was against Hiki Antsa back in June…a submission defeat…

…and that’s where Aalto comes in! A former grappler in the TWGC tournament circuit, he switched to MMA back in January earlier this year, won his debut MMA fight in a QFC match via submission and then went off training for a half year before coming to Sucker Punch…where he came in and put three more wins together with a sub, sub, decision string of wins! This man has strong skills across the board, combined with a brown belt in Jiu Jitsu. He’s going to want it on the ground and he’s going to want to reproduce what Hiki Antsa was able to do previously with Cobain!

We’re going to find out in the Main Event later this week Donkey!!!

Well Donkey, who will it be…?

Donkey’s Pick: Cobain via KO (Punch)

I think Cobain has been using all this time off to beef up his ground defenses…in hopes that if it does get to the ground, he can get it back to the feet and finish it…if he can’t do it before it ever goes there. Aalto may very well get this to the ground though, and if he does, it’s definitely not insane to think he finishes it and finishes it big there! Woot! This should be fun Hare!

There we go folks! Another fun one on tap and I hope you’re all as excited as we are as we prepare to head over to Schooners Bar in Sydney for all the fun! Let’s get moving guys, it’s time to get ready for the action!

Till then…remember…

• Upvote 5

Um...ok...well, pretend this is THURSDAY or FRIDAY already folks! Apparently I lost my mind and thought we had the event going tonight and accidentally wrote it up as if it was! LOL!!! Ok, well, I'm ahead of the game! Forget what I said about energy in those fights, there's still plenty of time to rest!

• Upvote 3

Um...ok...well, pretend this is THURSDAY or FRIDAY already folks! Apparently I lost my mind and thought we had the event going tonight and accidentally wrote it up as if it was! LOL!!! Ok, well, I'm ahead of the game! Forget what I said about energy in those fights, there's still plenty of time to rest!

Looks like age is finally catching up my man lmao...Great writeup as always...keep it up! :thumbup:

• Upvote 4

Kurt Cobain vs. Michael Aalto:

Hey there fighters; welcome to the latest rendition of our title fight interview series here at Sucker Punch! My name is Destin, and I’m your host. Tonight at SPPS 22. Tonight, we bring you a title fight that’s special to my heart - 145 lb contenders Kurt Cobain (6-1), and Michael Aalto (4-0)! This one is extra special to me, because my very own fighter Destin Craven will be fighting the winner of this one for the belt. My own excitement aside - please welcome Kurt and Michael to this press conference! *Applause from the crowd*

Destin: Hello gentleman; thanks for showing up tonight! Congrats to both of you for being deemed worthy of the chance to be named champion! How do you guys feel about the opportunity to be our first ever 145 belt holder?

Aalto: Destin, I’ve got to say I was a bit surprised that this opportunity came so early in my career. But it's definitely nice to fight for a title.

Cobain: For me, It's been a long time coming man. I love being here at Sucker Punch, and I'm so thankful that my manager Mr. Wittig convinced me to sign with the org. Now, it's time to prove they are good at finding talent and show the world what's up.

Destin: Sounds like you guys know what this fight means for the org. Michael, you come into this fight with an undefeated 4-0 record. Kurt, you hold an arguably more impressive 6-1. What makes you guys think you’ll be able to beat your opponent tonight?

Cobain: Yes, he’s 4-0, undefeated in MMA. but he has lost two fights in TWGC. All that means is, he can be beat. But since joining the MMA world, he's been impressive. Can't argue that. But he's never been up against a striker like me before. You’re gonna wear that first loss like a badge of honor Michael. He'll be my lucky number seven.

Aalto: This guy is awfully good at talking. I'm confident in my skills. Cobain has more MMA experience than me, but he doesn't have my BJJ credentials.

Destin: I can tell you guys have some respect for each other's skillset. Speaking of credentials - Kurt, all 6 of your victories have come from KO, and Michael, all of your 3 finishes have been by submission. Are you guys going to mix it up tonight, or simply keep doing what you’re doing?

Aalto: We'll see where the fight goes Destin. You could look at it as the classic striker vs. grappler match-up. I've been working hard to improve my striking game, so I'm not too worried about Kurt’s hands.

Cobain: You know, normally I wouldn't give information like this away. Strategies are secret until they are put into play in the cage. However, I have no intention of getting down on that filthy mat with him and man hugging. There's going to be all kinds of blood, sweat, and piss on that matt by the time our fight rolls around. No, I think I'll just make him KO #7 and welcome him into the MMA properly.

Destin: Wow Kurt, you’re oozing confidence! I guess I don’t have to ask you how this one will end

Cobain: *chuckling to himself* Donkey is the expert here, you should ask him. Man, you know how it's gonna end. 1st round KO.

Aalto: Bullshit. I'll catch this guy napping, and then feel him tapping.

Destin: I’m sure Donkey will love to hear that! You’ve got to watch out for Michael’s submission game though, or you might indeed be tapping. Well guys we’re almost out of time. Anything else before we go?

Cobain: Look, Mike, tese things happen.. I know you're excited to see me in the cage and probably have a man crush on me. I'm used to it. But yeah, I've got something to say. Donkey, you know who to pick. Hare, thanks for giving me the shot at the belt, I look forward to keeping the hardware nice and shiny for you. And Mike, I hope you have a good insurance policy. You’ll need it after our fight.

Aalto: Respect all around buddy. Love your music by the way.

Destin: Alright guys, that’ll do it! Thanks again for showing up and good luck to both of you in your fight!

• Upvote 5

http://mmatycoon.com/images/posters/1604451350SPPS_Poster_21.png

Post Event Cheap Shots

Sucker Punch Pro Series 21

Hello again out there to all our Sucker Punch fans! As always, I’m Hare Rumpler along with my partner and analyst Donkey “Dan” and the vivacious Suzy Sucker Punch, our media correspondent! We’re going to take a look back at the results from Sucker Punch Pro Series 21 that happened just about a day and a half ago now at Schooners Bar in Sydney!

And, before I even do the intro here, let me tell you that you guys absolutely rock! Again, our event rating was in the mid to high 150’s which seems to be our new norm now…and…we even made the smallest of profits on this one! I think that may only be the fourth time we were in the black, which is kinda cool, although not really my focus. You know what is my focus? The fact that you guys brought it to the cage…and we had a great event rating again for us…and…MOVED TO 15th worldwide in ORG RANKING!!! Damn guys! 15th! We used to hover around 20-30…and now 15th! I’m so friggin’ happy that you guys have enjoyed the org and helped it grow along with your fighters. Thank you!

Next goal? Maybe eventually start moving those event ratings higher towards 190-200…but that’s going to take some time, and we’ll need to grow together further for that to happen. We’re doing great though folks!

Anyway, putting that all aside, we had a great event with a title on the line as we re-established the Featherweight Title here at Sucker Punch and a bunch of other fights that, frankly, Donkey and I failed to predict properly even with preparation taken into account! Whooo, that’s not a bad thing, that means they were some exciting unexpected results!

So there we go, a quick look ahead, but now let’s get a word from our sponsor and merchandise partner and then we’re off…

Shadow Warrior Nutrition always sets us up brilliantly at these events, dishing out the samples and generally creating a party atmosphere with the swag and games and general craziness they bring all around the concourse! For those who want their boys to come prepared with the best training possible, these are the guys to visit! Their Shadow Warrior Tea 160Q is the best energy loss reduction supplement money can buy and will keep your fighter in the gym training rather than sitting days out resting! Check them out today, you will NOT be disappointed!

Now, let's get to it!

Akara Kongsangchai Defeats Yellow Belt Casey via Unanimous Decision

We start the evening out with a fight that went against Donkey right out of the gate here! Donkey had called for Casey via submission…but Kongsangchai, who being on a three fight losing streak coming into this really, really needed a win! Donkey had questioned whether he had the focus he needed to finish and put together a solid game plan to get things done. Well, he didn’t finish in this, but he certainly did well enough that the judges were willing to give him the win! And hey, a W is a W, especially when you’re trying to avoid going 0-4 over your last string of fights.

It seems that Kongsangchai and his corner took advantage of a new manager here for Casey, as Casey’s corner had him come out with a focus on boxing with some attempts at a takedown, but never really getting the shot when not in the clinch. That’s because Kong’s crew had him focus on clinching extensively in this fight, something he was able to do almost half the time when making the attempt…and once there, able to control and keep it there for the most part. While not overly efficient inside the clinch, he was definitely able to get the job done and land the strikes he needed to sway the judges.

For Casey, he just couldn’t really get this thing to the ground consistently and out of the clinch. He did manage to finally take it to the ground midway through the third, but Kong was able to control for the most part and get a ref standup within a minute or so, pretty much dashing Casey’s hopes for a finish and a chance to steal the fight late.

Donkey, how about this one…?

Donkey’s Takeaways:

Well, I called for the ground game to be the difference maker here in this fight during the preview, but I was very wrong on that and it turns out the clinch was instead where the difference was made. Kongsangchai was able to pull off his game plan and control the majority of the fight, keeping things in the clinch where Casey was uncomfortable. Anywhere else, Casey would have been ok, boxing or the ground, but Kong had a solid plan and was able to make that plan happen. The two keys to a victory! For Kong, this changes the entire direction of things for him, putting him at a recoverable 2-3 rather than a desperate 1-4 with four losses in a row. That’s huge. For Casey, consider this the transitional pains of moving to a new manager who’s working through what he wants to see from his fighter. However…more concerning perhaps, is the reason that his prior manager, Aylib, may have let him go. And that’s the immense 64% morale drop after the loss here that we see. That may force Casey to be locked down to a more aggressive strategy in his fights to account for the lack of confidence.

Undercard Bout #2: Light Heavyweights

Ian Justino Defeats Tito Slamcock via Submission (Armbar)

Another, making it two in a row, that Donkey…and admittedly I, were off on! We figured that Justino’s lack of morale going into this fight was going to have a bigger impact than it did…which is still a bit shocking honestly!

However, once you saw the strategy and what not behind the fight, and realized it was Slamcock who took it to the ground not only once, but twice…well, it wasn’t hard to see why the fight ended up as it did. I’ll be honest Donkey…I have no idea what the thought process was on this one for Slamcock and his camp? He had the Muay Thai and wrestling to do what he’s done in the past, take this into the clinch and work the fight from there. Instead, he took it to the ground not once, but twice against a guy who clearly was going to want it there.

Justino made the best of the situation once on the ground, getting the reversal originally to work on some ground and pound and then simply putting it away with a submission after the second one. A beautiful armbar btw that had Slamcock tapping out in no time!

What did you think Donkey…?

Donkey’s Takeaways:

Well, I said in the preview picks that taking another loss would be very bad for Justino and that he better hope my pick was wrong! Well, he made sure it was! With this win he evens up his record at 4-4 and also tacks on his first win here at Sucker Punch, making it 1-1 here since arriving. Onward and upward? For Slamcock, another submission loss against an opponent who doesn’t quite have the same skillset on the ground as Wille Thai does definitely puts him on notice that the ground game is an area to be addressed. A bigger concern though…is that huge drop of morale after the loss.

Undercard Bout #3: Middleweights

John Wick Defeats Longsun Zhao via Submission (Guillotine)

Well Donkey…make that THREE…THREE in a row that you’ve picked wrong to start out this card! Haha. Well, certainly not one of the better nights for your picks, but certainly a good night for the fans if the outcomes were this difficult to predict!

And Wick, much like Justino in the fight just prior to this one, defied the odds and came up with a win despite being slightly off on morale coming into this fight! Pretty impressive.

Most of us watching this fight thought it was going to end exactly as Donkey had predicted it though…with a kick to the head…and when the first really nasty one came at about…oh, ten seconds into this fight…and sent Wick to the floor rocked, well, we though this one was signed, sealed and delivered! Instead, Wick not only managed to recover, but then fend off Zhao on the ground against his sub attempts for a whole minute before he truly had his wits about him again and could start offering up any offense of his own!

Wick definitely wanted this fight on the ground as we discussed in the preview…and Zhao most certainly had the advantage on the feet. However, Zhao seemed determined to prove he could win this on the ground just as well, and was doing Wick a favor in either taking it to the ground or staying there trying to win via submission himself. While it could have worked out personally I saw the better play to be trying to keep it on the feet and land another one of those nasty shots to KO Wick.

Eventually, after a combined twenty submission attempts between them, it was just the twenty-first attempt that mattered as first Wick went for the triangle but then opportunistically switched into the guillotine for the win!

Over to you Donkey…?

Donkey’s Takeaways:

It’s possible that this wouldn’t have stayed on the feet regardless, even if Zhao was trying to keep it there as Wick was succeeding on about half his takedown attempts. But, I think if it were me, I would have made every attempt to keep it standing and capitalize on my big advantage there. That right there appears like ultimately it was Zhao’s undoing in this one. This has to be an exciting result for Wick, who finally breaks the drought and gets a win, moving to 1-6 on the career. He’s going to need a few more to truly recover from such a rough start, but you need to start moving forward one step at a time! As seems to be the trend on this night, Zhao took a pretty heavy morale loss with this defeat and also moves to 4-4 on his career with it. Having lost four of his last five matches, he’s definitely going to be looking for some way, any way at all, to turn the tide around!

Undercard Bout #4: Light Heavyweights

Ross Rhea Defeats Ali Hasanov via TKO (Cut)

Haha! And this makes FOUR Donkey!!! You’re now a big ole goose egg for four! Wow…I can’t remember the last time you had this bad a go with the predictions! And this one was an especially ironic missed guess as well…because Donkey predicted a TKO via Cuts in favor of Hasanov, given Rhea’s history…but instead…Rhea was the one to dish out the bloody nightmare and Hasanov succumbed to the cuts!

This was like a “blood in the water” scenario for these two! Rhea got Hasanov with a nasty uppercut early in the first twenty seconds or so that opened him up. Then, it was like bloodlust kicked in, and Rhea took it to the clinch to get up close and personal. From there, he got another right in to open the cut up further…and then just started working the body and head over, never giving up his hold on Hasanov in that clinch!

Hasanov was able to do very little, supposedly getting a little extra difficulty added in there with the lack of vision from his bleeder…and when Rhea started unloading elbows it was just going to get more ugly, especially as it seemed he was targeting that cut…two more of those nasties landing, and this thing was being called by the ref and doc!

Well Donkey…?

Donkey’s Takeaways:

This has been a very strange evening where the lack of preparation that normally results in losses, isn’t. As far as how this one went…well, if anybody knows about bleeding and how bad it can be, it would be Rhea! I guess he decided to turn the tables for a change! A big bounce back win as Rhea now gets to 5-4 and, more importantly, ends a two fight losing streak. For Hasanov, the yo-yo effect he has going with the win and loss, up and down, has to be a little frustrating. Especially to lose this way! At 4-2 in the most recent string of fights, he will want to get back on track despite still being at 8-5 overall. But the recent trend has to be uncomfortable for him and his camp.

Undercard Bout #5: Light Heavyweights

John Fury Defeats OJ Simpson via KO (Punch)

Ok, this is just getting too funny at this point Donkey! It’s a comedy of errors with your picks on this card! At 0-5 now, it’s almost as if you purposely picked them the opposite of what you should have! And…even more amusing, after getting the last fight exactly in reverse, even down to the cuts call, well…this is the same! Rather than Simpson with the KO win, nope, it’s Fury!

Simpson won’t find it so amusing though, I’m certain of that. Simpson was trying his best to get this thing into the clinch, but Fury just wasn’t playing along. Outside the clinch, Simpson was landing a good percentage of his shots, but Fury was more aggressive and busy and was landing the same total, just expencing more energy to do it. The payoff was good though, as he was landing them heavy and they were wearing Simpson down quickly. By the time the second round came, Simpson was already working on fumes!

At just over a minute and a half into the second…we got this call from the play by play guys…

Fury lands a powerful looking uppercut that connected with his opponent's jaw. Simpson is rocked!

Are you kidding me?! Fury ducked down and unloaded an uppercut from hell that sent Simpson clean off his feet! Someone make me a GIF - that's knockout of the night for sure!

Donkey’s Takeaways:

Ok, I’m not going to make excuses for the picks so far…but I did say on this one that it was a flip a coin situation! And I did say it would be a slobber knocker and somebody was being woken up when it was said and done! As far as all that goes, well, I was dead on. This one is a bit of a setback for Simpson as even with the loss to Karhu, who was considered a possible contender, he was in position to prove he was ready for a title shot soon with another win or two. Now, with two losses in a row, it puts him somewhat back to the drawing board and needing a string of wins to get back in that picture. On the other hand…with three in a row now and two here in Sucker Punch, John Fury looks like he may be making a push for contender status himself! He has a huge fight with Joe Junior next month now…and that may be the one that tells the tale…setting up Top Contender for January!

Main Card Bout #1: Light Heavyweights

John Doe Defeats Sacrificial Lamb via Unanimous Decision

This was definitely a “see what each of these guys really are” fight. It was a fight I pretty much knew put Lamb at a disadvantage, but one he had to take because you can’t stay ranked in the Top 5 if you can’t defend that spot. And if you can’t…well, then it’s time to be bumped down that ladder making room for those who should be up there!

John Doe proved without a doubt that he was ready to move past Lamb. There was very little Lamb could do in this outside staying alive and not getting knocked the hell out. Going more aggressive to get a decision was likely to result in an early wake up call for Lamb. Going to the ground was unlikely to work against Doe. So it was a matter of counter and see if you can catch him. That didn’t work. Clearly.

Doe anticipated the change of pace from Lamb and was able to light Lamb up over and over with shots. He was extremely aggressive…although to be fair to Lamb, he did prevent a high percentage of the head shots from landing. Lamb countered well, getting his shots in, but neither of these fighters were ready to drop and give in, and kudos to them for that!

Donkey’s Takeaways:

Could Lamb have maybe gone more aggressive and survived? We’ll never know…at least not for now. Doe gets the decision easily in this one…and now looks to be heading towards Contendership if he can pull off one more big win! And who better to prove that he’s ready for that next big step with than former Light Heavyweight champion Aleks Kuznetsov? Whoever wins this next fight is looking good to be heading towards a title fight in their near future! Perhaps as soon as Feb. with one more big win afterwards in January!

Main Card Bout #2: Light Heavyweights

Wille Thai Defeats Harold Kerzner via Submission (RNC)

We said this was a test that Thai needed to pass if he wanted to prove something. He passed with flying colors! Lamb had defeated Kerzner recently and it was important, given Thai had previously given up his sole loss to Lamb, to prove he could get past the same guy while also proving that he could take out a fellow ground specialist. As we said, he proved he could do both!

This thing was bound for the ground, and got there with a quickness! Kerzner shot in right from the bell and bam, we were at it with the ground duel! Both fighters were focused on their Jiu Jitsu skills, working the sub game in a hard way back and forth repeatedly. This went on the entire round, just a chess match of “can you snag me or can I snag you?”

The second round was no different with the takedown by Kerzner immediately following the bell once again! And…this time it was very different…haha, no, I lie, it wasn’t. Not at all…they were back to the same game of cat and mouse with the submissions! Finally, after three minutes of the round…and thirty-two prior submission attempts between the two of them…this happened…

Thai is working for an escape here. He's hooked one of Kerzner's legs and he's managed to sneak out and take Kerzner's back!

Thai has the rear naked choke here! This is very bad for Kerzner! Can he survive? No! He's out! Thai gets to his feet and celebrates with his cornermen. He looks absolutely delighted. In the post fight interviews he takes time to thank his parents and everyone who has believed in him from the start. How sweet.

Donkey, whatcha got buddy…?

Donkey’s Takeaways:

Wow…that was a LOT…and I mean…a LOT…of submission attempts! Just one after the other, move after move, showing everybody watching what true mastery of Jiu Jitsu, both the offense and the defense, is like! Thai manages to pull it out though…and with it, he scores himself a title shot as he’ll face the winner of Jacob Parker and challenger Julian Rourke! For Kerzner…a very, very tough loss after such a promising start here at Sucker Punch! He came roaring in at 2-0…and since has dropped four in a row. He needs a win in the worst way…even if he has to buy it at this point! The good news…this man’s morale barely ever budges, no matter win or lose. He holds his confidence, now he just needs the wins to go with it.

Main Card Bout #3: Light Heavyweights

Joe Junior Defeats Mike Bard via TKO (Strikes)

You seem to be getting on track here Donkey, as this is yet another now that you’ve gotten right. Apparently you were just waiting for the Undercard to be over before heating up!

It didn’t look like Junior was going to pull this one off. Bard connected with a solid one flush halfway into the first minute of action and rocked Junior pretty good! Somehow, Junior bounced back and found a way to recover and get his senses about him and this thing went on! Bard then went another path, clinching up and then taking this to the ground but shy of a sub attempt wasn’t able to get much going and this thing went to the feet and ground again after that. Even the clinch got into play a couple more times…but generally, this thing ended up back boxing by the end of the round and for most of the following.

Bard had gotten the first round with the judges, and Junior snagged the second in a close one. Coming out into the third, Junior and Bard both knew they needed to push the action and came out swinging! Junior was letting Bard come and getting his counters in solidly, first with a body shot early from the bell and then an uppercut a few moments later. With a shot to Bard’s body he enticed him to come back at him again, which Bard did…and the trap was set…

Bard throws a jab, cross combination which is slipped and Junior comes in over the top with a devastating right hand! Bard stumbles back against the cage, looking to regain his senses but Junior is on him like rabid pit bull! Bard slumps to the ground under a storm of punches and this fight is over!

Donkey’s Takeaways:

This was a huge fight for both of these “not so much” kids at this point in their careers! With both being 27, every opportunity counts! At 4-2 a piece coming in, this was likely to end up with one of them having a title shot in their future and sure enough, with this win Junior will have a shot against John Fury next month to earn a shot at the belt in January! This is the big one...time to bear down and have a great camp! For Bard, a disappointing loss. But there’s still time to bounce back and if he can string together a few wins after this there’s nothing saying he might not be able to position himself again by February or March! But it’s going to take quite a bit of focus and determination to get it done and chances will start to dwindle as these former older start fighters start to falter.

Co-Main Event: Welterweights

Carter Ortiz Defeats Chaz Campbell via Submission (Triangle Choke)

Ya got another Donkey! On a roll now eh? Wow. Ortiz came in with his 6-0 record on the line and made short work of this fight, ending it in under two minutes!

Campbell needed to get his shots in early and make them count in this one and he had about a minute to make it happen. Before the takedown came, which was sure to eventually come at the hands of Ortiz if he didn’t finish him sooner! Unfortunately for Campbell, Ortiz’s striking defense was on point this night and he prevented any of Campbell’s shots from landing until he was able to pull off the takedown on a counter!

First Ortiz went for a leg but couldn’t quite get it and then another shot at the leg…still no joy! Campbell was able to use that opportunity to get a reversal as he was able to scramble free and end up on top! Unfortunately, that’s not a safe place in a submission artist’s guard either…and a lack of awareness of the situation seemed to leave Campbell vulnerable…with Ortiz sneaking the triangle up there and suddenly, the trap snapped shut with it tightening up! And…the tap!

Donkey, so…what do you think…?

Donkey’s Takeaways:

Some beautiful Jiu Jitsu there by Ortiz and he adds on to his record, moving to 7-0! Which is also beautiful! He has a fantastic record, but we do need to see him move up the ladder a bit given his age and relative skill levels. There’s nothing saying he won’t very well do it and we won’t be talking about him and “title shot” in the same sentence in not so distant future! Campbell moves to 6-4 rather than 7-3…and while that’s not a bad thing by a long shot, what is going to be frustrating for him is having lost three of his last four. He’ll want to get back to his roots where he started out at Sucker Punch at 3-0 asap!

Main Event: Featherweight Championship

Kurt Cobain (6-1-0) vs. Michael Aalto (4-0-0)

And here we are Donkey!!! The MAIN EVENT and we’re about to finally get that title and belt placed right smack onto one of these two gentlemen with the Featherweight Championship on the line!

Let’s get right to it and see what our very own Juice Fluffer had to say as he headed into the cage…

3d8a168f5f8ff8e520307ef15bdabf4c.png

Juice Fluffer enters the cage…

“Ladies and gentlemen…this is the Maaaain Event of the evening!”

“The judges for this bout are Damien Edna, Chris Dean and Topper Green.”

“Our sponsor for this event is Shadow Warrior Nutrition.”

“Annnnnnnd Now! For those in attendance and Sucker Punch fans around the world…this is the moment you’ve all been waiting for!”

“LIVE!, from Schooners Bar in Sydney, Australia…”

“Iiiiit’s TIIIIIIIME! Five rounds for the Undisputed Sucker Punch Pro Series Featherweight Championship of the World!”

“Introducing first… FIGHTING…out of the blue corner. Holding a professional MMA record of FIVE WINS, NO losses and NO draws, he stands 177 centimeters tall, weighing a normal 149 pounds and also 21 years of age, fighting out of Helsinki, Finland and hailing from Espoo …the NUMBER TWO ranked fighter in the Sucker Punch Pro Series Featherweight Division, Miiiiichael…AALLLLLLTOOOO!!!

“And nowwwww… fighting out of the red corner. With professional record of SIX WINS, one loss and NO draws, he stands 178 centimeters tall, walking at 158 pounds…at 21 years of age, hailing from Seattle, Washington, United States and fighting out of New York, New York…the Top Contender and NUMBER ONE RANKED FIGHTER in the Sucker Punch Pro Series Featherweight Division,Front Maaaaannnn”…Kurrrrrrt…COOOOBAAAAAINN!!!

And we were off Donkey!!! Admittedly, Cobain was considered a heavy favorite heading into this fight. He’s been known for his hard hitting style and makes no excuses for his direct approach and lack of any attempt to hide his desire to hit you with bad intentions!

The bell rang…and for a few seconds, everybody in the place thought this thing was going to be over in record time! Aalto clearly looked to be focused on things other than his hands, probably thinking about getting this thing to the ground with a quickness…and that allowed this to happen…

Aalto's hands are dropping dangerously low here and Cobain connects clean with a right hook that sends him down to one knee! Aalto scrambles back to his feet.

To Aalto’s credit, he bounced right back from that shot that, frankly, in many of Cobain’s fights would be the type of shot that ended it right there and then! Cobain was the more aggressive fighter to start this thing going, but combined the two were landing about the same number of shots, with Aalto mixing it up a bit with kicks thrown in, most of which were landing on the legs, clearly attempting to slow down Cobain and give him something to think about. Perhaps a distraction for a takedown, something Aalto had been unsuccessful in landing through much of the beginning of the fight.

Into the clinch, and these two were both jockeying for position, each offering several shots and accepting a couple. Just past the two minute mark, Aalto made the move though and pulled guard to finally move this thing to the ground, somewhere he’d wanted it the entire time!

And with the fight finally on the mat, Aalto went to work spamming the submission attempts. First a triangle attempt that Cobain managed to fend off and still keep active, trying to get back to his feet from Aalto’s guard. Then a mixture of reaching for arms and triangles from Aalto. With Cobain still intent up on escaping Aalto’s guard, he made the move to try to stand…but in the process left an arm in danger…and…Aalto wasn’t going to pass up this opportunity with a title on the line…!

Cobain wants to stand up, so he's looking to wriggle free of Aalto's closed guard. He's half up but Aalto has locked on to an arm! Uh oh! Aalto pivots and extends the arm, Cobain falls face first to the mat and taps??... does he?? YES! He's tapping! Excellent counter grappling there by Aalto! Well done that man!

Juice Fluffer enters the cage as the referee has both fighters in the middle of the cage…

“Ladies and gentlemen, our referee has called a stop to this contest at three minutes and forty-six seconds of round number one…”

“Declaring the winner…by Armbar Submission…ANNNNNNDDDD NEWWWWW…Sucker Punch Pro Series…UNNNNNDISPUTEDDDDD…Featherweight Champion of the World… Miiiiichael…AALLLLLLTOOOO!!!

HE DID IT DONKEY! THE BELT IS RE-ESTABLISHED! And against all odds, Michael Aalto has come away the victor and seized the day!

Well Donkey, amazing stuff huh…?

Donkey’s Takeaways:

Truly a battle of just what you expected to see, striker versus ground specialist in this one! Cobain certainly had his shots early and was doing a nice job. He was keeping the fight on the feet and working things over the way he does, with big shots that land hard. While Aalto was landing his fair share as well, they didn’t seem to be having quite the same impact and you have to wonder if this thing hadn’t gone into the clinch, was the championship in Cobain’s hands? I have no doubt we’re going to be seeing these two at it again in the near future! Cobain will not sleep on this one easily, nor should he, and I bet he comes back with a fire in his gut like no other! For Aalto, I know we touted him as being a true talent that fought above his “technical skill level”. Nobody has ever proved us right more than he did this evening by finding a way to push through, take some rough shots, and still come away with the championship! Congrats to the young man! Now…the real work begins…defending!

Amazing stuff out there at Schooners Bar the other night, with Donkey having a very rough go early on with his picks for the Undercard but bouncing back in the second half…well, at least until that Title Fight! And a great fight that one was! We had a great time, we hope you did too! And we’re back at it again mid-week this week coming up!

Till then…remember…

• Upvote 5

http://mmatycoon.com/images/posters/1605034787SPPS_Poster_22.png

Sucker Punch Preview

Sucker Punch Pro Series 22

Hello Sucker Punch fans!!! Are you all ready for a good…nay…a GREAT one tonight? Well, I’m hoping that’s exactly what we have in store for all our amazing fans out there worldwide and especially for the folks who will be there in person in Sydney this evening! I’m Hare Rumpler along with my partner and analyst Donkey “Dan”!

Our very own Suzy Sucker Punch is also with us, but I’ve been told that she actually has another special piece in store for us this evening as she’s becoming a bit of a bar-rat and seems to really enjoy the excuse to hang out there at the hotel on the eve of our events…probably just enjoys the free drinks frankly! But, truth be told, I am excited to see the results from her informal chats as folks flow in and out of the area!

As for Donkey and I, well, we’re going to take a quick look forward at each of the fights on tap and get a feel for what you guys are going to have in front of you this evening and the possible approach, results, etc.! This card is all over the place too…a variety of weight classes with almost all of them represented, so something for everybody! We’ll start out with a Light Heavyweight bout and then move to our Featherweights. From there out through the Co-Main event we have four Lightweight contests for you guys with a pair of Middleweight bouts thrown in for good measure! Sprinkle in a Welterweight bout and then finish things off with our Title Fight for the Light Heavyweight Championship!

So let’s get moving and hear from our sponsor and merchandise partner so we can get to the good stuff!

http://mmatycoon.com/images/company/logo/1584375781SWN.jpg

Shadow Warrior Nutrition will be on hand at the event this evening, and I cannot say enough about how much we appreciate having them as our merchandise partner and sponsor here at Sucker Punch! Do yourself a favor…better yet, do your fighters who you spend so much time developing and preparing a favor…and stop by the stand to grab some of their Shadow Warrior Tea 160Q. It is literally the best energy loss reduction supplement money can buy and will keep your fighter in the gym training rather than sitting days out resting! Stop on over there today, you will NOT be disappointed!

Now, let's get to it!

Undercard Bout #1: Light Heavyweights

Steven Jones (2-7-0) v Devin Ecker (1-2-0)

Jones and Ecker, two of our Light Heavyweights, kick off the action for the evening in a contest that honestly could turn into a clash of styles…or…possibly end up with both of them trying to work the same angle, specifically in the clinch!

Ecker has good standup skills and his sole win to date came after using the clinch to his advantage two fights back. Outside that, he very good ground skills, and has dabbled with both some ground and pound and submission attempts, but just hasn’t been able to put it all together in a way that leads to a W from the ground.

Steven Jones is pretty much desperate to turn things around at this point as he’s gone 2-7 overall and 1-3 since joining Sucker Punch. While his debut fight for us was a win and looked like he was heading down the right path, he’s now strung three losses together and very much wants to avoid a fourth! He has strong wrestling and a blue belt in Jiu Jitsu but so far seems to prefer the standup game, both in and out of the clinch. Will that remain the same tonight or will he switch it up some? Given Ecker’s skills on the ground, at least on paper, that probably isn’t the best move.

Donkey, whatcha got bud…?

Donkey’s Pick: Ecker via Submission (Armbar)

Most likely one of these kids is getting a win tonight and that’s good news…for one of them. The problem is, determining which one of the two may have tightened up the game a little and is coming in with a clear plan that will help them succeed? They’re both prepared for this fight, which I give them big time kudos for because that isn’t always the case with the early fights and specifically those that involved fighters with losing records. For me, I’m going with the idea that maybe Ecker has refined the ground game some for this fight and figures it out, finding a way to work his best skills and get the win.

Undercard Bout #2: Featherweights

Kaoru Nagashima (3-3-0) v Broklyn Red 1-1-0)

Donkey, at 3-3 and 1-1, one of these two young warriors will use tonight’s bout to break free of the .500 doldrums! A great surprise here though, as this is our second early fight and yet again, these two are prepped and ready to rock for the fans over at Schooners Bar tonight! That’s awesome!

Nagashima lost an opportunity against Andy Veidt to become Top Contender…then, given a second lease on life so to speak when our champ went MIA, he got another opportunity to become Top Contender against Kurt Cobain. Unfortunately for him, he wasn’t able to capitalize on that opportunity either. Tonight will be all about showing that those nutso eyes of his can focus in on the goal and get the job done…and move back into the picture. But he’ll have to do that against a another tough opponent in Red. Nagashima is extremely well balanced with his skillsets, mor or less being proficient across the board with a brown belt in Jiu Jitsu. He can sink in a submission…and has for his three victories…but we’ve seen him strike also.

Red is also very well balanced, with a set of skills very similar to Nagashima’s except flip the BJJ with the wrestling. He’s still looking to try to figure things out in MMA a bit here as he’s only had two fights, one back early in the year against Hero Shima, who has also joined Sucker Punch since. The other was last month, a loss to talented Petsuwan Sitsongrit via TKO. He attempted to use the clinch quite a bit against Sitsongrit, but tonight, with Nagashima interested in the ground game he may welcome the change and eagerly join him there! And then…does wrestling conquer BJJ? We’ll find out possibly!

Donkey’s Pick: Nagashima via Submission (Kimura)

A very tough call again here! Is it going to be like this tonight? You could flip a coin on this…but I’m going to go with Nagashima’s experience say he’s had more time to refine his game plan, especially for the ground, and that that makes the difference this evening.

Undercard Bout #3: Lightweights

Montesh Dominguez (0-3-0) v Tua Graves (5-6-1-0)

Unfortunately our run of fights where both kids are ready to go ends here with our third fight of the evening. Graves is coming in about 40% off on morale…and I know what that means for Donkey’s pick when he gets his shot here!

So far, Dominguez is 0-3 to start his career, and 0-2 since leaving kickboxing and coming to MMA. He’s on his third manager now as well in as many fights. Tonight will be the first time he’s had the ability to fight more than once under the same manager and perhaps that consistency, combined with Graves’ lack of preparation, will be the key to scoring a win! He has stellar standup skills with superb boxing and sensational Muay Thai. His wrestling is proficient. If he can keep the fight on the feet, he stands…no pun intended…a very good chance in this one!

Graves will try to overcome the disadvantage his manager has given him in this one by using his ground game, including his competent wrestling and specifically his purple belt in Jiu Jitsu, to get the advantage. If he wants a W in this one, he’s going to have to find the drive and desire to get the fight to the ground and, once there, use his combination of striking and submissions to find a way to finish! In a fight that goes on and on, that morale will probably be a bad thing.

Over to you Donkey…?

Donkey’s Pick: Dominguez via TKO (Strikes)

I just can’t go with the unprepared fighter in this one, so the nod is given to Dominguez and his attempt to break the dry spell and chalk one up in the left hand column.

Undercard Bout #4: Welterweights

Weston Hodkiewicz (4-3-0) v Ceedee Queen (2-0-0)

Alright, now we’re talking Donkey as we bounce right back to a pair of combatants who are fueled up and ready to get at it! And we’re already moving into some fights that feature winning records here! Excellent stuff!

Queen, managed by The Million Dollar Man, features a sensational, hard-hitting ground game. Something that he’s featured prominently in both of his wins en route to 2-0! Heck, his first fight consisted of a takedown, and TWO strikes to TKO his opponent in a QFC match! His second fight, here with us at Sucker Punch, took a few more…ha, eight! Yes, this man will brutalize you if he can get the fight to the ground…and so far…nobody has prevented that from happening!

Weston Hodkiewicz will attempt to be the man who puts an end to that nonsense! With strong skills across the board in both areas of standup and wrestling, as well as a brown belt in Jiu Jitsu, he’s betting that he can be the guy who breaks Queens bad habit of…well, breaking people! With serious submission skills, Hodkiewicz will give Queen something else to think about besides just being able to pound on his opponent when they’re on the ground. If Queen can’t subdue and conquer Hodkiewicz quickly, he’s going to have to worry about a submission coming out of nowhere at any time!

So, what do you say Donkey...?

Donkey’s Pick: Hodkiewicz via Submission (Armbar)

Oh, this is another really, really tough one to pick, and this time it’s for all the right reasons! Because both of these kids are superbly skilled and this should be a fantastic fight! And you know what? There’s no guarantee it definitely ends up being a ground game! They both have standup skills as well, and heck, they could decide to respect each other’s skill on the mat. I don’t think that’ll necessarily happen, but it wouldn’t be shocking either! I’m going with the guy who can win from the top or the bottom potentially with submissions, as it doubles his chances.

Undercard Bout #5: Middleweights

Bill Sherman (4-1-0) v Ibrahim Volkov (2-1-0)

We finish up the Undercard here with another really great match between two very skilled fighters! Although Volkov does come into this fight tonight just a bit down on morale, I’m not expecting it to make a huge difference. Although, you never know…and certainly not coming in fully prepped is never ideal!

Ibrahim Volkov is a wonderful boxer…but he prefers to do that boxing on the mat! He has respectable wresting and a blue belt, which relative to some of your ground specialists isn’t going to blow you away when you see it on paper, but clearly his ground and pound skills are off the chart and the grappling skills are just enough to get him in position to do serious damage! In his first fight he made short work of his opponent after a takedown and quick beating! In his second fight, his first here at Sucker Punch, he took on Bonjour Arrivederci…and although the fight went to a decision, he dished out a ridiculous amount of punishment while on the ground and it’s frankly amazing that Bonjour lasted till the end in that one! His last fight he met his match on the ground against a submission artist in Kirill Krasnov, so clearly he knows he needs to watch out for that situation and prepare for it.

Volkov will face “Big Willy” Sherman tonight, managed by Dan Inacan. After a big win over Toth Orion last month Inacan hopes he can continue with the winning ways as he sends Sherman out into the cage again tonight with Volkov. Sherman likes the clinch and specifically dishing out some nasty knees but if he plans to do that tonight he’s going to have to do it with a mind on not getting taken down in the process. While having Volkov pull guard wouldn’t necessarily put him in danger, he’ll have to be confident in his own defensive grappling and transitions to avoid ending up on the bottom should this go to the mat!

Donkey’s Pick: Volkov via TKO (Strikes)

Volkov appears to have a very, very focused selection of skills, both what we see and what we don’t, that all work towards a very specific task. That task is gaining the ground, gaining position on the ground, and then using that position to dish out the pain! Because he’s so focused there’s a chance his skills overpower Sherman tonight and put the fight in his domain…at which point it may be difficult to escape unscathed!

Main Card Bout #1: Lightweights

Demi Achilles (7-2-0) v Corona Virus (2-4-0)

Virus appears to be coming in with less than stellar energy tonight as he’s off by about 12% as of writing this. That doesn’t sound like a lot, but it usually turns into bad things! We’ve looked back and this appears to be a trend for Virus and his manager Donnie Jackson. With only two wins in six fights here at Sucker Punch a fifth loss tonight, presumably due to the lack of prep again, could put the writing on the wall. Hell, let me do it Donkey…there, I wrote it on the wall? Can you read it? Yeah? Good, then you know what tonight’s fight means as well!

For Achilles, the goal is to climb back up the ladder and regain his standing as a potential Top Contender! He had the opportunity in his fight with Valery Bokov but fell short falling via TKO. But he bounced back last month and with that win over Tua Graves has won four of his last five fights! If he can win again tonight it will put him back into position to make his case for a TC battle spot in December or January!

Achilles works the submission game as well as just about any fighter with his brown belt in BJJ. But he can also stand and strike when necessary as he proved last month. Virus has pulled off submissions with his purple belt but also fallen to them in the past. He also has been able to finish opponents with an aggressive striking style on the feet, similar to Achilles. So this will be an interesting fight as no matter where it goes, both fighters will believe they can win the fight there!

Donkey’s Pick: Achilles via Submission (Kimura)

Wow, well you just about covered everything there Hare! Thanks. I think. Yeah, this one could be tight, and the combination of the brown belt and Virus’ tiny bit of energy loss coming in may be the difference makers. And that’s a shame if it results in a loss for Virus rather than giving him the best shot he could have!

Main Card Bout #2: Middleweights

Jin Yi (4-1-0) v Wilfred Ainsworth (4-1-0)

Ok Donkey! Now here we go!!! What we have here with our second fight on the Main Card for the evening is nothing short of an absolutely amazing fight with tons of potential to be a Fight of the Night! Both guys, Ainsworth and Yi, are ready to go and that means fireworks, as both bring some serious skills to the cage!

Yi, managed by Mikey C, will bring the edge in grappling, specifically the Jiu Jitsu side of things, to the cage tonight with his brown belt. He’s got very solid skills across the board outside that as well. He’s amassed a 4-0 record under current management, with his only loss coming under former manager Tristan Finch in what was likely a test fight. All four of his recent wins have been via submission, with Kiryu Kazuma being the latest victim last month when Yi made his Sucker Punch debut.

Ainsworth took on the champion for the title last month and, while he gave him a nice run and fight, fell just shy of his goals. This man is a serious striker who loves to utilize the clinch to terrorize his foes. And while he doesn’t tend to land a ton of shots when he fights, he puts a lot behind the ones he does land! He TKO’d three of his prior victims and KO’d another before finally falling against Machado for his first loss of his career. And that fight went a full five rounds between two beasts in the cage! He’s the first fighter to ever push Machado to a decision, and that says a TON! Can he dictate the fight tonight and keep it on the fight…and dominate there…or will he end up on the ground and potentially another victim of Yi’s? I can’t wait!

Donkey, what are you thinking…?

Donkey’s Pick: Yi via Submission (Armbar)

My god, I don’t want to pick this fight, I just want to SEE this fight!!! Seriously, this one is THAT good, it could be a main event on the card for certain! Yi is fighting last month’s Top Contender and challenger for the belt. Ainsworth fell short in that bid against our champion, Machado, and this fight will tell us if Yi is ready to step forward into that role. If not, we might be looking at a fighter like Beam next month. However, Ainsworth will not simply step aside and wave Yi past though and will be determined to prove that he’s still right there and deserves another shot in the future…sooner than later. Heck, a win here combined with the way he pushed Machado to the limit could potentially earn him the shot again. We’ll see!

Main Card Bout #3: Lightweights

Vinicius Verreira (4-2-0) v Rudy Giuliani (7-5-0)

Giuliani comes into this one a little off on morale, but not ridiculously so. Only about 8%, but in tough fights…and this one is sure to be just that…every little bit can make a difference!

Honestly Donkey, this fight was a mistake on my part. I don’t make a lot of them, but sometimes I do…and this was one of them. In our matchmaking, I had this down as a fight previously made two months ago and messed up, thinking I had it slated for this coming month…when it was the fight that had just finished. That’s a huge mistake on my part, because I basically set these two up to go at it again in back to back’s without a very good reason for doing so. I honestly kinda wish somebody had reached out and said something to me about it, but like the true warriors they are, these two simply were offered a fight, and took it without any complaining. Commendable for both of them…but dang, I don’t mind being questioned when something is a bit wonky. And this one was. Sorry guys!

That said, I’m lucky in that this fight doesn’t lack merit completely and in some ways does make some sense. Between their last fight and this one Giuliani went out and defeated Rey Bargos, former top contender. That proved he was right there and deserved to be in the discussion still. So there is a very good chance that the winner of this fight is going on to get a shot at Logan…if Logan retains the belt against Oosthuizen later this month!

Last time around, Verreira clinched up and used the slow dance to tenderize and brutalize Giuliani. And it worked, right down to the TKO in the second round. Giuliani can clinch up and dance very well, but it just didn’t work out for him last time around against Verreira. It will be interesting to see what adjustments he’s made to his strategy and game plan this time, and…if he can pull those adjustments off or if Verreira will impose his will again!

Donkey’s Pick: Giuliani via TKO (Strikes)

I have a very sneaky feeling about this one Hare…sometimes, in a rematch, the adjustments are what can make the difference, especially if the fighter who previously ones stands pat with what worked previously. And I don’t know why, but for some reason I think perhaps Giuliani gets one through that hurts and does some damage tonight! We’ll see, Verreira doesn’t have the stellar record he does for no reason though!

Co-Main Event

Lightweight Bout

Piney Winston (8-3-0) v Raleigh St. Clair (6-2-0)

Our Co-Main Event of the evening is another in a string of absolutely outrageous fights that are “can’t miss” tonight Donkey! Everybody had better be in their seat for this one because I expect fireworks and a big finish! This ones doesn’t go to a decision, that much I can assure you.

And both of these fighters are on the verge of Top Contender status! With another win for one of them tonight, they’ll already have a case, and frankly, only the logjam at the top would keep it from happening next month! Likely we’ll have to filter out the possible Top Contenders with another fight next month, but this one is HUGE in that process and in the quest to get that shot!

Bear Stevenson will be cornering along with the rest of St. Clair’s camp as his 21 year old kid gets ready to go into battle tonight! With back to back wins over Corona Virus and Rock Lee, St. Clair is riding a wave of confidence into this fight with Piney Winston. But…buyer beware…Piney Winston is a whole different animal from what he’s faced recently and he should be taking this one as seriously as his fight with Achilles…which was a loss…because Winston and Achilles are similar styled fighters and both come with considerable skills. St. Clair is a well-rounded fighter, and he doesn’t care what he has to do to get a win…he’ll adjust! Stand and box…ok. Clinch up and rape you? Sure. Go to the ground and dish out some hurt there? You got it! Pick your poison. Just let’s not do that arm and leg twisty thing, ok? That stuff…well, he does have a purple belt in Jiu Jitsu now…so who knows…he might not be opposed to playing that game too!

Winston will look at that purple belt though…and smirk! Winston has strong wrestling and a brown belt in Jiu Jitsu. He doesn’t have much of a standup game, so he’ll definitely want this on the ground tonight. Something that St. Clair should take note of, prepare for, and try to prevent…because the advantage is definitely St. Clair’s on the feet. On the ground…that edge switches right over to Winston…who has eight…count’em…EIGHT submission victories to his name. Yes…that’s one for every single one of his wins. So…um, ya getting’ the picture here? Yeah, he’s going to want to take this to the ground and make things go in directions they shouldn’t…or just hold you tight, whisper sweet nothings and let you drift off to sleep!

Donkey, you have a call here…?

Donkey’s Pick: Winston via Submission (Guillotine)

Not really Hare! Who could call this and not just want to be there to see it?!? This is a huge fight, I mean, just a crazy good one! And heck, Winston had two “of the Night” awards back to back, and for good reason! St. Clair is still seeking his first, and with a huge finish tonight on the feet could earn it! Or…maybe this is just the good ole “Fight of the Night”? We’re definitely in for a ride with this one! I’m flipping a coin damnit…and it’s saying…Winston. I guess we’re getting a submission? Pffft. Who knows!

Main Event

Light Heavyweight Championship

Jacob Parker (3-1-0) v Julian Rourke (2-0-0)

Our Main Event Donkey, and this one is for the Sucker Punch Pro Series Light Heavyweight Championship of the World! Last month, Parker took on Aleks Kuznetsov and swiped the belt from him in Kuznetsov’s first title defense. This was after Kuznetsov did the same to Lamb the prior month! Can Parker be the first to break this curse and successfully defend his title tonight? Or will the curse continue with the belt being won…but not defended? Many people will claim that a champion is not a true champion until he can defend the belt successfully. If that’s something you believe in…then this division is still seeking its first true, undefeated, unquestioned champion!

With two KO’s in a row, against both Ross Rhea and Kuznetsov, Parker certainly looks like he could be prepared to be “The Man”! But he’s going to have to prove it against a tough challenger tonight in Julian Rourke! Rourke has two wins to his record so far, so a resume that is somewhat sparse, but has an incredible skillset and proved he was a formidable opponent with a big time win over Ian Justino last month.

This one will be an all-out, toe to toe slobber knocker Donkey! These two both like to throw down, throw down hard, and won’t back down to anybody! The fireworks are about to go off in the Main Event tonight! I know they both also spoke with Destin for the Spotlight, so that may be coming out tonight with them giving us a few more words…and hell, they’ve been very chatty this week, as I know I saw at least one of them speaking with Suzy over in the lounge and bar area at the hotel last night! So there’s more coming from at least one, if not both of these two, before this fight kicks off tonight! WOooohooo Donkey!

Well Donkey, who will it be…?

Donkey’s Pick: Parker via KO (Punch)

Haha, I sound like a broken record…so yeah, you know what I’m going to say…yep, lamely it seems tonight…I JUST WANT TO SEE THIS FIGHT!!! Hahaha. Yes, apparently I’ve gone dumb and that’s all I can think of! But can you blame me? This stuff is going to be a hell of a go! I think Parker may have what it takes to be the first one in this division to establish some residency with the belt. I’m going with a highlight reel KO to finish the night…but darn it, that could go either way and Rourke is extremely talented!

Another fantastic night of action on our hands and if you can’t tell by the way Donkey can’t think straight, this one just has him too excited to make picks! I can’t blame him, and I also can’t wait to be there myself. Hopefully you’re all with us over at the 10,000 seat Schooners Bar in Sydney tonight as we take in all the pulse pounding excitement! Let’s do this!

Till then…remember…

• Upvote 5

Sucker-Punch-Fist-Forum.png

Presents

The Night Before…

…from the hotel bar with

Suzy Sucker Punch!

Hello everybody and all our fans out there in Sucker Punch land! I’m Suzy, and I’m so excited to once again bring you this special segment tonight. This started as a casual affair a couple weeks back as I realized I could set up camp in the hotel bar, chat up friends and colleagues and just be available if anybody wanted to talk to me in a bit more of a laidback environment. I set up at one of the side bar tables and prepared to have a relaxing evening and, if the mood took anybody, chat about tonight’s event in a no-pressure sort of way. And I’m so excited to tell you that they came through again last night! It was a really fun time and I appreciate how great the guys were.

So, here we go! A couple of my girlfriends from the front office had come over to the bar for an early happy hour. We’d had a couple drinks already…yes, rum and coke for me this time…darn that Jack Sparrow…and the last of the girls had just shot off to catch up with her boyfriend when…in walked Julian Rourke who headed over and saddled up to the bar not far from me. Honestly, I don’t think he was really here looking to talk but more just to settle his nerves, but who can blame him? Tonight he’s in the fight of his life as he goes for the title, the first potential belt of his career! But I slipped on over and gave him a nudge with my elbow…

SSP: Hi there Julian, you look like a fella with a lot on his mind! Care to buy a lady a drink and spill the beans on what’s rolling around up there?

*Julian looks up, cracks a smile and flags down the bartender to double his order…apparently we’re having a nice glass of wine now!*

JR: Nice to see you Suzy. How are things and of course we can chat a bit! No really tough questions though ok? I’m just catching a quick bite and drink before I prepare for the fight tomorrow, just me and the stars!

SSP: Oh, absolutely Julian! I don’t hang out in a bar to get too serious! The stars, huh? You’re going to have to explain that one for me in a bit! But first…and I guess this is actually somewhat of a more serious question, so forgive me…but tomorrow night’s event is over at Schooners Bar…which may sound small, but it’s not. It’s 10,000 capacity, not as big as the Bridge, but still certainly not the Bondi Outdoor Arena either. That’s a lot of screaming fans. How do you feel about fighting in front of so many Sucker Punch faithful, especially for the title?

JR: Three weeks ago, my team mate Konrad won his belt here in Schooners. If anything, I take that as a good start, and I prefer the smaller crowd. I’m still rather new to this whole fighting for championship belts, so the smaller crowd, the better.

SSP: Ah, so the small, intimate thing with the fans is more to your liking. Well, small relative to some of the super big venues, sure, but still enough fans to make it fun tomorrow! And speaking of fun, I couldn’t believe the weather this week! Sydney is absolutely fantastic this time of year as things start to warm up! We're heading into summer now here while much of the world in the north is going into winter. Does the change of seasons excite you or does it seem to mix things up for you a bit coming to the land down under?

JR: Well Suzy, I’m from southern France, where the weather is about the same. And it has worked out really well this year as I got to spend the summer in France, and now I’m getting a second summer here in Sydney. I always hated winter, as the cold makes it annoying to sleep under the open sky.

SSP: Haha, well, now that’s your second mention of the great outdoors. Now you’re going to have to explain and I feel like there may be some sort of crazy ritual or superstition going on here! Is this something you do before a big fight?

JR: I wouldn’t call it crazy. I just get a bottle of wine, take a ride out of town, and spend the night before the fight outside. I like to sleep on the grass or in a field. I used to do that a lot when I was younger, and even these days, it calms me down and steadies my hands.

SSP: Wow, that actually really does sound nice Julian. But honestly, I’m not sure if I could do it…you hear too many stories about the bugs and other critters here in Australia! Honestly, I get the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it! Maybe I’m more of a “glamping” gal, haha! Well, it looks like we’re done our glasses…and you’ve got your bottle for the road…thank you so much for taking a few minutes with me Julian, I appreciate it so much.

JR: Sure thing Suzy, have a great night!

Talk about starting out the evening with a bang…the challenger right out of the gate! And wow, that was one of the more interesting conversations I’ve had with one of our fighters so far. I still can’t stop thinking about spiders crawling around him while he’s out there though! *shivers*

I was still standing at the bar waiting for another glass of the wonderful Dexter Pinot that Julian had turned me on to when the barkeep walked over with the glass…as well as a really beautiful side dish of rye whiskey gravlax and two slices of warm rye bread! I looked a bit shocked until he grinned and chinned at my shoulder. I looked back myself, and standing there was a smiling Andrew Churchill, manager of Devin Ecker!

SSP: Well, hello Mr. Churchill! How are you tonight? Is this from you?…you shouldn’t have!

AC: Well a lady can’t sit in a bar drinking all night without also having at least a small bite to eat, can she? Besides, the restaurant here has one of the best gravlax’s around. If you haven’t tried it, it’s a must. And I know from some of the guys that you like the whiskey, so bonus there, you’ll appreciate what it does for it!

SSP: That is so thoughtful! I assume you have Devin off mentally preparing for tomorrow, staying focused but not too focused I’d think. How was his camp this time around? Can we expect to see a new angle on things or are you sticking to the tried and true tomorrow night?

AC: Last time out, Devin had a great camp. He did everything we asked of him. And we gave him a game plan that wound up hurting him. That is on me. This time around, we worked on strategy more than we worked on technique. We hope to see a more focused version of Devin this time around. We think this approach will lead to a better outcome.

SSP: Well, Devin’s fights have kept the fans on their toes, that’s for sure...what do you think you've learned as a team from the last couple outings in the cage?

AC: Devin has a style that leads to exciting fights. He is an aggressive natural athlete with killer instinct. He has had mixed results with his approach, but the fans know they will get fireworks when he is in the cage. The biggest lesson we have learned is that controlled fury is smarter than all-out aggression. So expect a more cerebral approach...followed by Devin unleashing his killer instinct.

SSP: Well, I know for a fact that the fans love to know what they can expect from a fighter, but they also like to see a fighter evolve and bring new things to the cage! There’s no doubt that if Devin, and you guys as a team, keep up the hard work he’ll definitely keep the fans wanting. Oh…I think that might be your order there at the end of the bar…I’m keeping you! I’m so sorry!

AC: It’s quite alright, was nice to get a chance to chat! But it’s time to get up there, get everybody fed and be ready. Enjoy your evening!

And with that, Mr. Churchill was off to take care of his crew, obviously relaxed and confident that they’ve prepared well for tonight’s fight!

As he was exiting the bar area with his order…frankly, I don’t know how he was carrying that much without it going everywhere…in walks both Jacob Parker, our current Light Heavyweight Champion and Bill Sherman, a fast rising Middleweight with a big fight on the card tonight against Ibrahim Volkov! They were talking politely as they headed over towards me, but didn’t seem like old friends or anything.

BS: Hey Suzy! Good to see you! I overheard a few of the guys in the lobby telling Parker here that Julian was in to talk to you earlier, so I figured I’d come on in as well for the fun.

SSP: That’s great, I appreciate both of you stopping in…and I’m really happy that word is getting around that I’m here and available for you guys to chat with! Do you guys know each other well?

JP: Not really Suzy. Bill and I have crossed paths a few times but we’re in different divisions, so outside that only remotely. It’s cool if he wants to join in though.

SSP: Well, hopefully this will be fun for both of you and the fans will get a kick out of it. I think they did last time we did one of these! Hey, so let me ask you both the standard question here…there will be 7,000 fans over at Schooners Bar tomorrow night. That’s a lot! Not as many as The Bridge, but certainly no small number of screaming nuts that you know we have for fans. Does it hype you guys or bother you to fight in front of so many?

BS: Really Suzy, it doesn't matter to me if its 700 or 7000.. I always put out the best performance possible. It's all about giving the fans a good show! That's why we do this.

JP: It'll be the biggest event I've fought at so far. It'll be exciting to fight in front of more people and hope to gain new fans after defending the belt when they scrape ole sheep herder off the mat!

SSP: Jacob! You’re up against Julian Rourke tomorrow obviously. I know he goes by the nickname “Farmboy”, but Jacob!!! Be nice! Speaking of nice, I know Bill here got into town early a day or two ago. The weather’s been beautiful as we head into summer here, which is a change from the northern hemisphere for most people who are heading into winter. Are you enjoying it or does it spin you around a bit with the change?

JP: I arrived early also and flew in with my team late last week. This will be my fourth time here, so nothing new to get used to. Can't say the same for goat fucker though! *grinning*

SSP: My Lord! Jacob, I know you’re just trying to get guys riled up! And such words in front of a lady! *smiles sweetly* How about each of your camps leading up to this fight tomorrow? Did you change anything up this time around? Sticking to the tried and true and what works, or mixing things up a little?

BS: Over at Camp Sherman we have been working on our takedown defense…I don't think Volkov’ll want to stand with me and these legs. I know how this guy likes to take people down and beat 'em up, so ideally I'd like to keep him in my clinch and knee his head off…

JP: I've had a more well-rounded training this time, instead of focusing on one area. I noticed moof milker has been focusing on his muay thai clinch…if that is all he is worried about it is going to be a bad night for him!

SSP: *shaking my head* You’re just incorrigible Jacob! Seriously! *small laugh* Jacob, I spoke with Julian earlier tonight here in the bar. He seems to be in great spirits, is focused and is fully in prep mode for the fight tomorrow. How do you think this affects your chances of coming away with the win tomorrow night and retaining the belt?

JP: I'm sure Julian is excited for his chance at the belt tomorrow, but he's going to be disappointed in the results and go back to thinking about the farm!

SSP: Bill, word on the street has it that Ibrahim Volkov also had a very strong camp and is looking fresh, prepared and fit. Do you worry about his preparation at all or just focus on your own?

BS: I think Volkov is in great shape for this fight…It's going to be a war. One of us is going to get knocked out tomorrow. Should be a great show! *Sherman looks at a pretend camera* STAY TUNED FOLKS! WOO!!

SSP: *laughing* Always the showman Bill! Always the showman!

BS: Always Suzy! Hey, I’ve got to run, but this was fun and thanks for letting me join in! Good luck tomorrow Parker!

SSP: Thanks again Bill! Looking forward to tomorrow and best of luck! Jacob, your recent fights have kept the fans on their toes and you’ve displayed serious skills that opponents would be foolish to underestimate. What do you think you've learned from your last couple outings in the cage?

JP: I've learned what I've known all this time, I'm a confident fighter that can and has finished everyone that has been put in front of me. And that's why I have the belt, and that's why I am going to keep it at the end of the night.

SSP: Serious confidence there Jacob! Something others should be worried about I think, so long as it doesn’t become overconfidence! One last thing here before we wrap up, I know it’s getting late and you have something to do tomorrow I think. But the fans always love to hear from a champion and get inside their mind! Tell us a little something about where your mind is during camp leading up to a fight when you're back home? Is it exciting when you first get back in the gym, coming off a big fight, with a new chance to start over? Or is it more exciting when you're close to done and putting the final touches on things, with that anticipation and energy it brings to know you're ready to go for the next big one?

JP: I'm always in grind mode, so after my fights I go right back into the gym to get even better. And that should be a scary thought for any contenders looking to take a shot at my belt!

SSP: Wow! No down time at all, all business! That’s probably a bit crazy sounding to most people, but hey, if you want to know what it takes to become champion…folks have to look no further. Listen and pay attention! Jacob, good luck tomorrow, I know this has to be amazingly exciting to get out there and defend that belt! Take care and thanks again!

And with that both Jacob and I got up to head out of the bar…that is until we noticed a boisterous fellow we both recognized as Mikey C wandering into the room! It looked like he had a few drinks too many and was searching for conversation with anyone who would listen.

He was wandering from table to table and we could clearly hear him over the normal din of the room, rambling to total strangers about how happy he was for Jin Yi and Weston Hodkiewicz because, “they’re like my baby boys all grown up and ready to spread their wings.”

He finally settled in with a poor fellow who was trapped as a captive audience at the end of the bar, going on about how he was so excited for a tremendous night of fights up and down the card. He did get a bit of a cheer when he promised to buy everyone who returns to the bar tonight after the fights a shot of whiskey if his boys go 2-0!

Jacob and I looked at each other and laughed as we headed for the elevator…hearing, “Shots all around, ya filthy animals!!!!” from the bar as the doors closed off the lobby.

Enjoy the show at Sucker Punch Pro Series 22 over at Schooners Bar folks!

• Upvote 8