Sucker Punch Pro Series (Unrestrained) Opens in Sydney

HareRumpler

Happy to see Fury continue under such a good manager and friend of mine. I made sure to hand over all my notes to make the transition as painless as possible for him even if there was no way around him losing some training time. That win was as dominant as we could have hoped for, good job doing that on this level!

Just had to log in and check since I still felt somewhat invested in this fight. I'm not back, probably not for a good while yet but please keep SP going, its a great org.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

SSPS 91 Has come to a conclusion, here I,  Ahmad Berry-Pettus with your review of the event.

Mike Bard vs Roger Dalay

This bout was very competitive while it lasted, Mike Bard was able to cut Dalay very early in the bout, which might of effected Dalay on the outside, but he fought through it, which shows in the stats as both landed 4 punches to the head each. And Dalay only got outstruck by 1 strike, but what spelled the end of Roger Dalays night was a huge counter uppercut that sent him down to the mat, in which Mike Bard finished him off.

John Fuller vs Ryo Hamada

In this bout John Fuller started with a great round! Getting two takedowns and controlling Hamada for the rest of the rounds. But in the coming rounds Hamada had something for him, in the second round in my opinion it could've went either way but Hamada took it on all scorecards. He was able to keep it on the feet and land some nice strikes but John Fuller was able to land some shots of his own and even open a cut on Hamada. In round three Hamada kept it off the ground at all cost, only letting Fuller get minimal control time and being able to land some quality strikes to win the bout 29:28 on all three cards!

This was a quick one! Casus Fett got an early takedown and had to advoid the dangers of being submitted by Powell, to land his own big shot from side control to stun Powell and get the finish soon after.

Lou Valentine vs Ramon Rabbit

In this bout we seen an hard fought bout. Both went all out and it ended in an Majority decision. In round one Valentine got in the clinch and both fighters took advantage of the short range targets in the clinch, landing a lot of blows in the clinch. But overall with all of the clinches and everything I feel that Valentine won the round. In round two Valentine took full control! Landing two takedowns and getting in the clinch twice and landing some quality shots in the clinch. Round three was smooth sailing for Rabbit, until the end when Valentine landed a nice takedown into side control. It was a very dominant final round for Rabbit.

Alex Kuznetsov vs Abraham Barnes

In this bout Barnes got two takedowns and on the ground it was pretty entertaining with reversals and submission attempts! In round two Kuznetsov had an much better round, being able to keep it on the feet, and being able to land some big shots and not staying on his back for too long. In round three he had an perfect round, not letting the fight get to the ground and swaying punches and of course, landing some of his own, winning the bout 29:28.

Jake Drake vs Count Drakula

Jake Drake did an great job of getting Drakula to the mat, and keeping him there, landing some great ground and pound and sticking to his gameplan, scoring an 30:27 victory on all cards.

Sirus Hall vs Leroy Nimoy

The first round of this bout Nimoy did some great work on the feet, opening up an cut on Hall. But once Hall was able to take Nimoy down, it was wraps for the rest of the round. In round two Hall just picked up the pace and cut Nimoy on the feet, shortly after taking him down and submiting him. 

Frankie Logan vs Ziggy Ozbourne 

Starting straight out the gate these two were throwing, Ozbourne got cut and overall it was an great round in the first round of this lightweight title fight, round two was not too different, except at the end of the round Ozbourne got rocked, but he was still throwing kicks, and then got hit with an beautiful hook to the head, ending his night, Frankie Logan retains his title.

Greg Conor vs Belt Casey

This was an clean striking bout with some grappling mixed in, Conor won the bout by an flawless 30:27 score on all three scorecards. The bout was compeitive though.

John Fury vs Jacob Parker

In the first round Fury was able to keep Parker in the clinch landing blow after blow, which weaked him up to get an knockout jut 19 seconds into round 2 to retain his title!

• Upvote 1

1635187749SPPS_Poster_92.png

SUCKER PUNCH PREVIEW

Sucker Punch Pro Series 92

Hello again Sucker Punch fans!!!  Hare Rumpler here along with my colleague and analyst, Donkey “Dan”, and we’re ready to get back to the action tonight after a week between SPPS 91 and SPPS  92!  Once again we’ll be at the Sydney Superdome and despite the fact that there are no title fights on this card and the overall hype may not be close to that of SPPS 91 we’re still going with a three hour PPV!  Let’s see how it goes and if the investment into the last couple events pays off, eh?!

All of the fights tonight will be important to the boys in the cage of course.  But none have “immediate” impacts upon the title pictures for their divisions outside perhaps the Main Event, so rather than bore you with a bunch of mumbo jumbo, let’s just jump into things after a quick word about our merchandise partner and sponsor!

NOTE:  We had a last minute failure to make weight…in the most obnoxious way possible.  So the fight that was supposed to be the Co-Main Event tonight is now going to be moved to the first fight of the evening.  I’ve already done the write-ups for everything up to that point, so I’m not going to go back in and re-write the entire preview fight by fight, but I’ll try to catch as much as I can quickly.

1584375781SWN.jpg

Do you find that you’re resting your fighters too often? Two, three, maybe even 4 times a week sometimes?  If that’s the case, you’re probably not supplementing their training, and if you are I’m thinking you’re not doing it with Shadow Warrior Tea 160Q, which is Shadow Warrior Nutrition’s outstanding energy loss reduction supplement.  It’s the best money can buy and will keep your fighter in the gym training rather than sitting days out resting!  Stop on over there today, you will NOT be disappointed!

Now, let's get to it!

Undercard Bout #1: Lightweights

Will Result in a No Contest

Maximus Furioto (15-7-0) v Walter Wiener (9-10-0)

Unfortunately this fight tonight, which was slated to be our Co-Main Event of the evening on a 30,000 seat arena card with a 3 hour PPV…is going to end up being a No Contest!  Why?  Well, because apparently Walter “Big” Wiener is living up to his name and pulled a “Dick” move potentially, although I’m waiting to hear back from the manager about whether it was an honest mistake or not at this time.  He appears to have been put on weight gain and has been slowly over the months moving up in weight constantly, from 135 lbs, to 145 to 155 and now…he’s up to 180 lbs.  He signed on with us at 155 for lightweight but since then has ballooned and won’t make weight this evening.  In his bio, it states, “Eating Disorder”, so I can only assume that this is not an innocent mistake and is seen as a joke.  Unfortunately, it fucks us over for the evening, both for the card, as well as for his opponent.  I wish I’d caught this sooner, so this is on me, but needless to say I’m less than pleased at the moment.

For Furioto and his manager Ivan Grozny, my apologies.  I will get you set up with a new fight asap.  I will completely understand if you’re pissed with me.  I would be.

Donkey’s Pick: Wiener as Dick of the Year

Nuff said Hare.

Undercard Bout #2: Middleweights

Bruno Souppe (3-6-0) v Brusse Liee (0-1-0)

We’ll kick things off this evening with at least one new face to the Sucker Punch scene.  Brusse Liee was brought to Sucker Punch on a two fight contract specifically to give a couple of the guys at the lower end of the Middleweight rankings a bit of diversity in their fights.  Actually, we brought in two guys for this purpose, hence the two fight contract and after this bout with Souppe, Liee will go on to face Rodionovich.  Likewise, Red Jesus Karter, who already had a go with Rodionovich will switch off and dance with Souppe here next month.

It's no secret to anybody that throughout his career so far the 31 year old Souppe has struggled to find his way.  With an 0-5 start on the career things looked a bit troubling until he seemed to find his stride over the past four fights, going 3-1 and finally seeming to grow into his Jiu Jitsu game!  Three wins, three submission finishes, that’s the way you do it!  I won’t lie and shine sunshine up your asses though, overall, for a 31 year old his skills as a whole are not entirely as well rounded as his peers and being he got into MMA a bit late in his career he’s got a limited timeframe to claw his way as high as he can go. 

Tonight will be a challenge for Souppe, as he has the advantage in wrestling but the 24 year old youngster, Liee, who trails behind by about 1k in MMAT ID, will have a small advantage in the other three primaries…including the very Jiu Jitsu that Souppe has started to depend upon.  Liee has a significant disadvantage in experience in the cage though with only one professional fight under his belt, which was a QFC test fight loss back in July.  That means we don’t quite know what approach he’ll bring to the cage tonight and it’ll be fun to see which of these two men comes out on top!  Possibly quite literally!

Donkey’s Pick: Souppe via Submission (Armbar)

You know, going simply by skills and all things are telling me that this fight should be Liee’s to lose.  But, I have to give some credit to Souppe’s run of late and his experience advantage.  I’m going to go out on a limb here and predict that Souppe gets ahold of one of Liee’s tonight!  Hare, do you see what I did there?  I pulled one of your dad jokes!

Undercard Bout #3: Welterweights

Ceedee Queen (6-6-0) v Nova Lankinen (1-1-0)

Donkey, our second fight of the night, a Welterweight contest between Lankinen and Queen, may end up being the most evenly matched bout of the entire evening. At least on paper.  Lankinen has a small, small advantage in both boxing and Muay Thai but Queen has just a small edge in wrestling.

Former #1 manager Marky Mark brings Lankinen into the cage tonight for his Sucker Punch debut.   Lankinen only has two prior runs in the cage, both test fights a year ago under former manager Jamal Jamison.  After he was released he was lucky enough to be scouted and eventually signed to the stable of one of the best managers in the game and clearly after time spent recreating himself he’s now ready to show us what he’s really all about!  His skills are extremely well rounded across the primaries so your guess is as good as ours as to what to expect from him tonight! 

That lack of recent activity and inside information has to have kept Queen up at nights over this past training camp as the best he could do was work on his own skills, both his strengths and his weaknesses.  Queen will have the added struggle of having changed management teams as well between his last fight and this one, so there may also be an adjustment period as he and new manager Santiago Frederico adjust to each other.  Queen was on the fast-track here at SPPS as he started off his career 6-2 overall and 5-2 here with us.  He’d defeated some top quality competition with the likes of Sanchez, now-champ Darry Curtis and former Top Contender Matsuzaka.  Then he seemed to hit a bit of a wall and fell to other elite fighters in the division such as Bass, Barbosa, my own up and coming Valentine and a rematch against Matsuzaka.  Coming into the cage tonight with that four fight losing streak he desperately needs to find his way back into the win column.  Granted, at 23 years of age, he has time still no matter the outcome, but certainly a win here would be a step in the right direction.

Donkey’s Pick: Lankinen via Unanimous Decision

I think this one may be a close call and given how little we know about Lankinen it’s very difficult to say who will bring the advantage tonight.  But I think the lack of information about him is going to give him a small edge in this one and having Marky Mark in his corner certainly won’t hurt.  Advantage Lankinen due to the dark-horse status between these two .500 fighters.

Undercard Bout #4: Lightweights

Paetmar vs. Dominguez II

Venali Paetmar (7-7-1) v Montesh Dominguez (6-8-0)

Donkey, if Dominguez had come into this fight fully prepared tonight I’d have said that so far this would be the fight I was looking forward to the most!  However, he’s off on morale a bit and even energy a tad, so that doesn’t bode overly well.  Granted, it’s not ridiculously bad, but it may be enough to give Paetmar the advantage.

Dominguez would have the edge in boxing, Muay Thai and wrestling tonight, each to a very nominal degree.  But Paetmar definitively has the advantage in Jiu Jitsu with a brown belt over Dominguez’ purple. 

These two are both on a bit of a roll of late, albeit Dominguez was stopped last month by Kongsangchai in a tough decision loss.  Part of that may have had to do with preparation and unfortunately that may come back to bite him again tonight.  Prior to that last loss, Dominguez had gone three in a row with big wins over Brunswick, Cobain and Hazuki and was actually 4-1 over his prior five fights.  Paetmar on the other hand has been a bit Jekyll and Hyde over the last ten fights, but in the right way!  He had lost a disappointing five in a row after joining Sucker Punch but then found his groove and ran off a 4-0-1 record with only a majority draw against Alex Martens marring that record. 

This will be the second meeting between these two as they fought for the first time back in February this  year.  That fight ended up going the distance in a battle that earned ‘Fight of the Night’ honors and resulted in a Dominguez victory.  It was a hard fought contest that saw them battle in and out of the clinch while keeping the fight on the feet the entire time.  Will history repeat or get turned upside down this time around?

Donkey’s Pick: Paetmar via Unanimous Decision

Paetmar has been rolling along and seems to really know how to get the fight all the way to the judges with things going in his favor.  Combine that with a little bit of a lack of focus and preparation for Dominguez and I predict this one flips the other way this time around.

Undercard Bout #5: Middleweights

Landon McGuire (7-4-0) v Darwin Zambrano (6-4-0)

I’ll be honest here Donkey…as we head into the last fight of the Undercard we’ve got one of my own kids, Zambrano, set to face off against a very tough former champ in the division, Landon McGuire.  Landon’s struggled ever since losing his belt to Machado, only overcoming Oliver Allen since then over five fights including a potential revenge opportunity that he lost to Machado two fights back.  But, his losses have been against the cream of the crop here in the division…Machado, Kazuma, Machado and Doe.  All champions at one time or another here at Sucker Punch! 

So yes, I’m not just playing possum when I say that this is an uphill battle for Zambrano especially given his two losses in a row to Filth and Jukassa.  I was probably foolish to even schedule this one, but given his relative talent and quick learning I also felt it would be cowardly to dodge a fight that from a standings and ranking perspective made sense! To his credit, Zambrano has defeated Oliver Allen as well, along with former champ Nyah Hirst.  He actually retired Hirst! Not sure if I should be proud of that or take it as an insult!

Zambrano is a hard hitter who also has some submissions to his name earlier in his career, not that his career is that old.  McGuire is the same, which makes this fight intriguing.  Given age, experience and training time, this fight is McGuire’s to lose.  Trust me, if he does, I’m going to let Joe River hear about it…in the nicest ribbing way possible!

Donkey’s Pick: McGuire via TKO (Strikes)

I’m not going to disagree with Hare here.  His boy is at the disadvantage but it’s also a fair test.  If Zambrano does fall short here, and it is likely, it’s time to step back a bit and test himself against guys a little closer to his developmental age.  McGuire could jump start a comeback run with a win here and really gain a head of steam with a win!

Main Card Bout #1: Lightweights

Trevor Barnes (7-6-1) v Timmy Flowers (2-1-0)

Alright, we kick off the Main Card action tonight with Timmy Flowers who will be pleasantly surprised to look across the cage tonight and see that Trevor Barnes has come in a bit unfocused and off on his morale, likely due to the disgustingly dirty and stinky nature of his clothing!  Apparently manager Clifton Barnes has taken to being a bit stingy with the nickels and dimes these days and refuses to do any laundry or buy any sort of stylish, much less clean, clothing for his boys as the same was said for teammate Abraham Barnes in his recent fight here at SPPS.

I do expect that the lack of preparation and morale will start to catch up to the Barnes camp at this point, just as it finally did for Abraham in his last fight.  You just can’t keep showing up unprepared and expect to win.  That said, Barnes will still hold the advantage in both boxing and Muay Thai tonight while Flowers will need to rely upon his superior Jiu Jitsu. 

Speaking of Flowers and his chances this evening, he’s coming off a win under the relatively new management of Mark Harrington from the Legion of Doom alliance.  He scored a victory via decision against Ryo Hazuki last month in his Sucker Punch debut.  This is a man who does have a significant grappling background with quite a bit of time spent at CACC, CWC and in TWGC tournaments.  Expect him to go for the ground game tonight and a submission victory while trying to take Barnes off his feet and away from his striking game.

Donkey’s Pick: Flowers via Submission (Kimura)

You know I can’t go with an unprepared fighter, especially when it’s become a habit and almost expected.  Clifton Barnes needs to start paying attention to the particulars of his fighters and that means purchasing some changes of clothes and getting the morale up for his entire camp. Otherwise, these poor kids will never fully perform to their potential.

Main Card Bout #2: Heavyweights

Peter Beardsley (9-2-0) v Sam Cooper (7-7-0)

The first and only matchup of our BIG boys here at Sucker Punch tonight, we continue things on the Main Card with a Heavyweight bout between Cooper and Beardsley.  Don’t let the records fool you folks, these two are evenly matched and, to some extent, you could say that Cooper even has the advantage with his better wrestling. Beardsley has a slight edge in boxing but it may be offset by Cooper’s equivalent edge in Muay Thai.

Despite significant skills, on paper, and an overwhelmingly advantageous MMAT registration ID, Cooper has not been able to capitalize and transform those factors into wins at Sucker Punch.  He was 0-2 under his first manager upon joining us, then 0-1 before being promptly discarded by his second management team since arriving at SPPS.  Since then he’s been part of the Cian Coggins stable and, while having somewhat better results, still has run off a 2-3 record under the Coggins’ run.  Granted, he’s been up against top of the division talent most of this run, due his skill level and ID as mentioned, but now he gets a chance to step back slightly and pit his 26 years and favorable ID against the young 24 year old Beardsley and the 7k ID advantage he holds against him.

That may not be easily taken advantage of for Cooper though.  He’s going to have to step up to get a win here as Beardsley is a ferocious young opponent with a ton of talent, confidence and swagger.  He’s run off not one, not two, but eight wins in a row.  Five of which have come while at Sucker Punch.  He’s also managed by Stef Power, a former #6 manager in the game.  If anybody in this division is capable of stepping up and showing that they can take on any caliber or age fighter we have to offer, it’s this kid!

Cooper is a striker who prefers to try to get into the clinch.  Sometimes making the attempt to get into the clinch such a persistent effort to a fault.  His chin has also been somewhat exposed as it was against Tyson recently.  Beardsley is a very hard hitter with several KO’s and TKO’s to his name.  The plan will be for Beardsley to take advantage while Cooper attempts to nullify that striking power by getting in close and hopefully proving he can control and dictate in the clinch.

Donkey’s Pick: Cooper via Split Decision

I spoke with Cooper’s manager earlier this month and I know that he’s been pondering whether Cooper has it or not as well.  This could potentially be Cooper’s last hurrah tonight if things don’t go well, but I also know that his camp has given full effort to ensure he’s prepared and ready to give this a really solid go.  Expect this to be a war, even if it does end early by the hand of one or the other tonight!  Beardsley is young, and even though he’s managed by a fantastic manager, tonight may be more than he can chew.  Possibly.  Or not!

Main Card Bout #3:  Light Heavyweights

Wille Thai (10-7-0) v Radu Dracul (3-1-0)

Our first of two Light Heavyweight matches tonight will feature relative newcomer to Sucker Punch, Radu Dracul, facing off against ground specialist extraordinaire Wille Thai!  Both fighters are ramped up and ready to go tonight, energy on full, focus locked in, woot, I love it Donkey!

Now, I say ground specialist extraordinaire for Thai here because that is typically how he makes his living in the cage, with a solid ground game and submissions soon to follow.  Or at least attempts at them whether they are successful or not.  He’s coming off an impressive win over Andrei Averyanov where, indeed, those skills were on full display with a ‘Sub of the Night’ winning Americana finish! 

That said, Radu Dracul made his entrance at SPPS in fine fashion last month with an impressive finish of his own over Mike Bard.  Dracul has a black belt in Jiu Jitsu as well so he’s no slouch on the ground and was able to limit Bard’s chances at submissions there while gaining the position advantage and raining down brutal ground and pound punishment.  I have no reason to expect that tonight’s matchup will veer too far from that same path. 

Donkey’s Pick: Thai via Submission (Guillotine)

Dracul will be searching for the dominant position on the ground this evening so he can repeat the abuse he dished out last fight.  Thai on the other hand would likely want to prevent himself from ending up on the bottom and at the mercy of those shots, but if he does, expect him to be looking to secure an unprotected arm, or even head, at every available opportunity!

Co-Main Event:

Featured Middleweight Bout

Jarna Kuiva (17-8-0) v Longsun Zhao (9-9-0)

This was originally supposed to be the last fight on the Main Card before the two Main Events, but now we’ll see these two under the big lights as the Co-Main due to Wiener not making weight.  That fight has been moved to the first fight of the night knowing that it’ll be a No Contest. 

Instead, we have a fight that I thought could have been one of the more interesting battles on the evening.  Unfortunately, it now becomes interesting for all the wrong reasons.  WTF is going on tonight?!?  Kuiva’s manager unexpectedly departed, having most of his fighters suddenly go FA and then into retirement.  It looks like he may be back at this time, but on a VIP trial so perhaps he asked for his membership with MMAT to be deleted, or he ran out of operating capital, who knows!  What I do know is that in between the time this fight was signed and now, Kuiva went from managed, to unmanaged and up for free agency…to retired.  So we have a technically retired fighter here who still has a fight to get through this evening? Very, very weird!!! 

That means that Kuiva comes in unprepared with low morale.  And who could blame the poor bastard!  Zhao is 1-3 over his last four fights with only a solo win against Shigemasa to speak of.  He’ll take this gift of a win, happily.  That is, so long as he can take care of business and secure the win!  He needs to stay focused, come in prepared to get the job done…and then do it!  Expect him to work to dish out abuse standing, both in and out of the clinch.  He has a significant Muay Thai advantage in this one.

Donkey’s Pick: Zhao via TKO (Strikes)

There’s no reason for Zhao to drop the ball and miss this opportunity tonight.  If he does…well, he may want to sit down and really think things over…a true come to Jesus sorta moment!  He’ll get the job done.  He has to.

Main Event:

Featured Light Heavyweight Bout

Eemeli Lampi (9-4-0) v Derwent Bolt (6-2-0)

One thing I can be fairly certain of Donkey…this fight, despite the craziness…and disappointment really…of the other stuff earlier this evening with No Contests and retired fighters…well, this fight should be a great one!  We have an outstanding striker in Lampi, former champion no less, facing off against a ridiculously talented submission artist in Bolt who has also prove recently that he can strike as well in a win over Kuznetsov!

And that’s really what this fight comes down to folks!  Both are about equal in the boxing realm, but Lampi will have the clinch advantage thanks to an edge in both Muay Thai and wrestling.  Bolt, however, has the significant advantage in Jiu Jitsu with his black belt over Lampi’s brown.

Lampi comes off a loss to John Fury where he saw his belt taken in his first title defense.  Needless to say, I expect he’s going to have a fire in his gut and a desire to prove that he belongs fight up there still in the title picture!  If he scores the win tonight, he’ll most certainly find himself in a Top Contender battle again next month with the chance to return to the title picture in December or early January!  Nothing like a chance to start the year out right…or end it that way…but first he has to focus on the here and now and that’s overcoming the ground skills of Bolt!  Something he’s never been asked to do before really, so this is an interesting new test for the former champ!

I’ve been told by Bolt’s management that he may be stepping away some and there’s some question on whether Bolt and his stablemates will be taking further fights. This could turn into a dress rehearsal for Bolt as he tries to show off his talents and lure another great manager to snag him if that comes to pass.  Otherwise, a win here could certainly propel him up the charts again after his losses to Doe and Parker which were split by a win over Kuznetsov.  The fight against Doe was a title shot, so a couple wins would certainly put him back into the discussion.  A loss though would make it three in the past four fights, with the three losses being to some of the best in the division.  Certainly that would set Bolt back a little into the second tier within the division and open the door for others to step above.  He won’t want to think about that…think WIN!

Donkey’s Pick:  Bolt via Submission (Armbar)

I know what Bolt can do against other ground specialists and non-elite strikers.  I’ve also seen the more elite strikers get the better of him lately and expose his chin a bit.  The question will be, can Bolt change the story there tonight.  I’m going to lean towards yes only because I haven’t seen Lampi face a top tier ground specialist yet and we may find it’s an Achilles heel for him.  Or…maybe not! 

So there we have it Sucker Punch fans!

So there we have it folks!  Despite the crazy nonsense that has come about leading up to tonight for this card I’m still expecting a fun one, although we may not get the ratings and results we’d like at this point.  However, the action will still be top notch in the nine fights that likely go off and I can personally guarantee you a great time down at the Sydney Superdome tonight, so come on down, join myself and Donkey, and let’s have a blast together! 

Till then, have fun and don’t forget…

Keep it cheap and dirty…Sucker Punch Pro Series 355k+ style!

• Upvote 3

1635529366SPPS_Poster_93.png

SUCKER PUNCH PREVIEW

Sucker Punch Pro Series 93

Welcome guys and ghouls!  Bwahahahaha!!!  Hare Rumpler along with Donkey “Dan” and we’re more than ready for Mischief Night in Sydney as we prepare for SPPS 93 – Mischief Night at the Sydney Superdome!  Once again we’re going with a three hour PPV and this one is action packed despite no titles on the line!  I fully expect a night full of spine tingling, toe curling, hair standing on end action and cannot wait to experience all the excitement and horror along with our fans worldwide tonight!

The big boys really stir the pot early to get the evening going with three Heavyweight fights on the Undercard alone!  Mixed in will be some great matches with Welterweights Alex Steel li and Pete Dunham facing off along with Lightweights DeVon and Kongsangchai prepared to lay their souls on the line!  Well, maybe not their souls, but still, you know they want this win tonight!  Ha.

Once the Main Card hits you’ll have even more on the line tonight as we get back to the Welterweight action and see Kulina and Prodigy bring it to the cage, a couple fighters who have five wins between them over their last six fights and could see this fight push them firmly up into the top of the division with a win here.  You’ll also have Itzapapalotltotec squaring off with my own kid, Repus Revorg, in our second Lightweight battle of the evening.  Pablo has been struggling of late over his last two fights but tonight he gets a chance to take it to Revorg who is considerably younger yet just as skilled.  On paper at least.  This is a fear inducing fight for both I’d imagine, but he one who can overcome that and find the will to survive will certainly make big strides in the Lightweight division!

There’s no need for me to get into the crazy action of the top three fights which are sure to make this spooktacular event tonight something special.  We’ll get into each in more detail below, but know that every single one of these fights has immediate impact over the next month or so when it comes to the title pictures in the Light Heavyweight and Middlweight divisions!

So, let’s just jump into things after a quick word about our merchandise partner and sponsor!

1584375781SWN.jpg

Do you find that you’re resting your fighters too often? Two, three, maybe even 4 times a week sometimes?  If that’s the case, you’re probably not supplementing their training, and if you are I’m thinking you’re not doing it with Shadow Warrior Tea 160Q, which is Shadow Warrior Nutrition’s outstanding energy loss reduction supplement.  It’s the best money can buy and will keep your fighter in the gym training rather than sitting days out resting!  Stop on over there today, you will NOT be disappointed!

Now, let's get to it!

Undercard Bout #1: Heavyweights

Banana Republic (6-8-0) v Jeppe Bjoergen (6-10-1)

Both of these big boys would like to walk away with a win tonight and inch just a bit closer to evening up their records at .500.  There’s nothing like a Heavyweight contest to kick off an evening and you can expect things to get down and dirty with these two as both are fully gassed up and more or less full of confidence and morale heading into the cage tonight!  And for that, I say THANK YOU! 

Republic will have small advantages in three of the four primaries, everything outside Jiu Jitsu where Bjoergen holds a brown belt over his purple.  Both fighters are struggling…Republic has only one win over his past seven fights which is smack dab in the middle of that run, bookended by three losses on either side.  Bjoergen has had his own fair share of difficulties grabbing wins as he comes into the cage tonight with a three fight losing streak and a 1-4 record over his last five. One of these boys is going to break free from the L’s after this one and the other is going to have some soul searching to do barring a crazy ass Draw or something this evening!

Bjoergen could utilize his Jiu Jitsu skills tonight against Republic.  He hasn’t pulled off many submissions on his career, but he does have one previously against Art Bowers just before he left Gamma Contenders.  On the same token, Republic has fallen via submission, so it’s a fair call to say that might be the smart path for Bjoergen to take. 

Republic will no doubt look to lay down the punishment on Bjoergen early and often with those fists of his as Bjoergen has had serious issues with cuts over his last five fights, losing three times due to doctor stoppages.  This hadn’t happened since much earlier in his career but clearly as he ages and has more wear and tear it’s becoming more of an issue.  Could our very first fight tonight turn into a total gorefest in the cage and set the tone for this frightfest?

Donkey’s Pick: Republic via TKO (Cuts)

Hare is right on track and Bjoergen has had serious issues with the cuts that seem to be haunting him these days.  While there’s a chance he gets the fight to the ground and takes advantage early, that had likely better be his tactic if he wants to win.  Otherwise, the other fights this evening may have an interesting cage to walk into!

Undercard Bout #2: Welterweights

Alex Steel Ii (9-8-0) v Pete Dunham (2-6-0)

Our first Welterweight clash of the evening sees Dunham head into the cage in an attempt to claim his first MMA victory.  He’s had some trouble finding his way since transitioning from KT and while two of  his four losses have been via submission the more concerning losses were the ones to Norling and Kulina.  Norling, inferior to Dunham in striking skills, still managed to land the shot that put Dunham on the mat.  Kulina managed to out-aggression Dunham to win one with the judges with the entire fight remaining on the feet, albeit much of it in the clinch. 

Dunham has heavy hands which we know from his early KT fights.  But, his chin is clearly suspect at this point.  Steel li will bring the type of fight to the cage tonight that Dunham enjoys, a standup battle that probably won’t involve a lot of clinching.  His striking is solid mixture of kickboxing that should add some change of pace for Dunham to defend against.  Steel li also lost most recently to Kulina, a former opponent that both he and Dunham have in common, so we know that this should be a closer challenge for both fighters this evening.

I expect this fight to stay standing and likely separated tonight and we’ll see whose standup skills, both offensive and defensive, as well as intangibles prove to be the difference!

Donkey’s Pick: Steel li via TKO (Strikes)

Hare hit on the key point that I’m seeing as the most concerning thing for either fighter tonight and that’s that Dunham has lost to other strikers when striking is almost the entirety of his skillset. And the chin is definitely suspect.  Steel li will test that tonight and if he comes out with the ‘W’ there will be a lot of questions for Dunham and his management team to ask…and answer.

Undercard Bout #3: Heavyweights

Bobo Brazil (9-4-0) v Bloodsport Unknown (5-9-0)

Our second bout of the Big Boys here and skill wise this is a very tight one.  On paper.  Brazil appears to have a slight edge due to his boxing and wrestling but Unknown will have a small advantage in Muay Thai.  That said, Unknown has a 4k head start in MMAT registered ID so that should more than offset things some.  Brazil also is coming in with his morale off close to 20% but that’s his own (and his manager’s) doing, so totally on them and should even things up further for Unknown!

Unknown changed management teams sometime between April and September this year along with his switch over to Sucker Punch and went through your typical adjustment period in his first fight here at SPPS.  A loss to Patrick Murphy in that fight made it two in a row and four losses in his last five.  He demonstrated some solid ground skills with the one win as he finished Jingky Bacolod with a triangle.  Pulling the same off tonight may be tough as Brazil has never been finished via submission.

Brazil had a rough start with Sucker Punch as he carried a loss in with him from BBFC and then failed to establish himself over his first two fights, losing to Silva and Beardsley via cuts and a decision.  However, he’s turned the corner since then and has decision victories over both Bjoergen and Republic leading into tonight’s contest.  We’ll have to see just how much Donkey feels the morale issue will come into play though, eh?

Donkey’s Pick: Brazil via TKO (Strikes)

Brazil started out his career with a slew of wins via TKO and KO.  However, recently he’s leaned more towards going the distance.  Tonight is a great opportunity to return to his former ways as Unknown has fallen to quite a few TKO finishes, along with a few doctor stoppages.  Unknown has finished on the ground twice though and has several TKO finishes also, so this is not a fight to be taken lightly by either fighter.

Undercard Bout #4: Lightweights

Dee DeVon (8-4-0) v Akara Kongsangchai (3-12-0)

Kongsangchai comes into the cage tonight desperately needing a back to back with his win from last month.  His decision victory over Montesh Dominguez put an end to an astounding run of bad luck that saw him losing nine fights in a row here at Sucker Punch.  He’ll get a bit of a hand tonight as DeVon comes in almost 20% off on morale.

DeVon himself could use a win as he’s now on a three fight losing streak heading into tonight’s contest.  He had about seven months layoff in between changing management teams prior to his last fight and was formerly known to many in the Sucker Punch world as Frank Diaz.  Early in his career he relied upon his sensational wrestling and brown belt in Jiu Jitsu, or at least the skills that were in the process of developing into those, to score submissions fairly regularly.  Recently though, he’s been either winning via decision or tending to fall to TKO’s or KO’s.  He showed that he cuts easily early on but has never had a doctor stoppage to date.

DeVon went heavily after Cobain last fight with a ground and pound attack that also mixed in the occasional sub attempt.  Kongsangchai went a somewhat new direction last fight against Dominguez with a serious concentration on the clinch and focus on his Muay Thai skills.  It worked.  Tonight we find out if he can keep it on the feet or if DeVon will prove that he can work the ground madness to horrifying effect!

Donkey’s Pick: Kongsangchai via TKO (Cuts)

I’m going to go with the more prepared fighter here solely because it’s tough to figure out who might come out ahead in this one.  I’m also going to go out on a limb and say that perhaps that tendency to cut comes out tonight for DeVon if Kongsangchai focuses on the clinch again!

Undercard Bout #5: Heavyweights

Anton Meshkov (8-6-0) v Edward Mills (8-8-0)

Alright, we wrap up the Undercard here with our third and last Big Boy clash!  Mills has bounced between weight classes a bit lately and it’s been working for him as he is on a very nice three fight win streak and four of his last five.  The last three fights have been spent at Middleweight, Light Heavyweight and then Heavyweight.  This will be the first time in recent history he’s fought back to back in the same weight class!

Meshkov was on a tear earlier this year up till June, having won five of six fights.  Then he seemed to stumble against Ashwin Tyson and Peter Beardsley.  To be fair, those are two of the fastest up and comers in the division and were some tough competition.  That said, it gave us an idea of where Meshkov was at the time and he was able to bounce back last month with a win over Jeppe Bjoergen with a TKO via doctor stoppage.

Tonight we get to see which one of these two are ready to keep the drive up the ladder going!  Meshkov is a hard hitter but also has a tendency to fall by the sword as well.  Funny, Mr. Pickle Punch is the same way.  Hmm…it’s almost like I thought this would make a hell of an interesting and fun fight for those who love a good ole throwing of hands!

Donkey’s Pick: Mills via TKO (Strikes)

Really have no idea who’s going to win this one so I’m taking a shot in the dark here.  What I do know is that this is going to be fun for anybody who likes to see guys throw down, just as Hare said!  Let’s get it on!

Main Card Bout #1: Welterweights

Kulina vs. Prodigy II

Justin Kulina (6-3-0) v Young Prodigy (5-4-0)

We get the Main Card going with two fighters who have had a ton of success lately in the Welterweight division as I mentioned in the intro earlier!  Both are also extremely well matched with Kulina having just the slimmest of an edge in boxing, Muay Thai and wrestling while Prodigy brings superior Jiu Jitsu skills to the cage this evening.  They’ve met one time prior to this, back in March earlier this year with Kulina coming out on top with the judges in that go round.

Prodigy will make full use of every tool he has in his belt.  He’ll kickbox when standing but also will try to get the fight to the ground where he goes after his opponent both with strikes and submission attempts. While he’s never won via a TKO or KO stoppage, surprisingly, he does score valuable points with those shots that help him with the judges.

Kulina is on a tear with three wins in a row and five in his last six fights.  Outside his win five fights back in May over Carter Ortiz, which he won via a ‘KO of the Night’ earning Superman Punch, he’s mostly taken fights the distance and won via decision.  Expect him to try to clinch up in the one area that Prodigy doesn’t tend to go while also trying to prevent the takedown.  The last time these two met, Kulina stayed out of the clinch, likely to prevent takedowns from it, and worked an aggressive boxing game while nullifying Prodigy’s ground attack when they got to the mat. 

Donkey’s Pick: Kulina via Unanimous Decision

Kulina won last time with a different approach than you seem to be expecting tonight Hare.  Things change though, a lot of time has passed, and we shall see how things pan out this time out!  I’d be shocked if the approaches don’t turn out differently this time around, but stranger things have happened.  Kulina is pretty good defensively on the ground, so I’m going to lean towards a similar result though.

Main Card Bout #2: Lightweights

Pablo Itzpapalotltotec (11-6-0) v Repus Revorg (7-4-0)

Our second and last of the Lightweight challenges this evening will have my own boy Repus Revorg putting his 364k ID up against Pablo…er, I can’t say his name...yeah, that guy’s 359k ID.  That said, Repus is fairly well skilled and should be able to make this a solid showing for the fans tonight even if he should fall to the more experienced…er, Itza-papa-dakalis…something!

Itza had won four of five fights with BBFC and Blaze prior to switching over to Sucker Punch.  Since then, he’s fallen to Furioto, a ground specialist, and Yip Man lii via Decision.  Yip had previously defeated my boy Revorg here as well, so we know that Pablo and Revorg are a closer fight than that and that once again bodes well for a solid matchup.

Pablo has a history of doing whatever it takes to win, and taking those wins any way he can get them.  Decision, TKO, submission…whatever, so long as it’s a ‘W’!  His only “weak” primary is Muay Thai, so clearly he’s more than capable of handling himself in all areas and positions within the cage.

Revorg comes in off two back to back wins himself over Kongsangchai and Oliver Allen.  He also has won three of his last four counting his win in June against Conor Aldo.  Pablo is a whole different level of competition now though and Revorg has struggled with the likes of Rabbit, River and Man lii.  All losses via decision.  If Pablo comes at him with a similar approach and style, this may be another tough one for Revorg to win out on given his relative lack of experience and training time.  When Revorg does win though, it’s a finish via submission or (T)KO.  He can put the nasty down on the ground or standing, so Pablo will have to watch his step!

Donkey’s Pick: Revorg via TKO (Strikes)

I almost never pick Hare’s boys, but he’s so down on this matchup that I feel like I need to go the other route here.  I’m going to show a little confidence that Revorg’s skills will see him through on this.  I will agree though, Pablo has all the tools needed to walk away with the ‘W’ tonight and nobody would be shocked if he comes out on top.

Main Card Bout #3:  Light Heavyweights

Tank Tribute (12-5-0) v Victor Veidt (7-2-0)

Alright folks, our last before the Main Events on this action packed night!  And here we are with a big one on our hands as the winner of this Light Heavyweight showdown will be looking at a title fight opportunity in later November against waiting Champ John Fury! Hmm…maybe they don’t want to win after all Donkey? Haha, I kid!

Veidt, previously managed by both V Veidt and then Slick Gunderson, came on strong once he switched to his current management team under the former Tristan Finch who has now upgraded to Golden status!  He went on a three fight tear with victories over Thai, Shigemasa and then Averyanov, proving he could take on different style opponents and handle them all. He stumbled just slightly against Ilya Topuria earlier this month in a Split Decision loss that was also for Top Contender status.  Given how close, and frankly, questionable, that decision was we felt it was only fair to get another shot at it here.  If he can get past the very dangerous Tribute, he’ll have more than earned the shot!

Tribute has been on fire under manager John Wayne for some time now with five wins in his last six fights.  Only a Decision loss to Choctaw Bloode dirties that record in the past six months and he avenged that loss earlier this month!  If he should manage to defeat Veidt here, he’ll get an opportunity to avenge yet another of his prior losses as he was defeated by John Fury back in March earlier this year, a tough loss that had to sting given it was a doctor stoppage.  That has to be something that’s been on his mind since, especially given Fury’s rise to the throne. 

Both of these men fight a similar style.  Expect them to come out boxing with perhaps some kickboxing thrown in by Tribute.  But I don’t expect either of them to come out completely predictable here, so while we know what we’ve seen, be prepared for the surprises in this one also!

Donkey’s Pick: Tribute via Unanimous Decision

I wouldn’t be surprised if this one is finished, but I’m calling for the Decision.  If it’s finished, I’m going with the following:  Veidt by TKO (Cuts) or Tribute via TKO (Strikes).  Yeah, really riding the fence there eh? But given history, that’s the likely outcomes.  But, I hope there’s some tricks and treats in store for us in this one and these two come out playing strategic chess with each other!

Co-Main Event:

Tanaka Matsuda (14-3-0) v Zett Jukassa (8-3-0)

The winner of our Co-Main Event of the night here is going to determine who is next in line for a title shot late in November against Machado who waits on his next title defense!  These two have worked hard to get where they are and are now one step away from the biggest of opportunities! Matsuda has been here before as a former champion from BFC and also having had one title shot already here at Sucker Punch…against none other than Machado who ended it via TKO in the second round.  Jukassa is fresh to the Top Contender scene and is likely very hungry to prove he’s the one who belongs here!

Matsuda will have the skill advantage here this evening, at least on the ground with his Jiu Jitsu. His black belt over Jukassa’s purple should give a considerable edge…and he does enjoy his submissions!  He’s won three in a row, two of those subs via Guillotine and Armbar, and an astounding seven of his last eight fights have been wins! Five by submission. 

Jukassa’s goal is clear tonight.  Keep this thing off the ground.  He’ll be hoping that his exceptional boxing and wrestling along with sensational Muay Thai will be enough to make that happen.  He has a history of winning via TKO and KO and tends to go heavy on the head shots.  I could definitely see him head-hunting with counter shots and a ton of power put behind each strike this evening in an attempt to turn off the lights for Matsuda before he can gain the upper hand!

Donkey’s Pick: Matsuda via Submission (Armbar)

There’s no reason that Jukassa can’t come away with the win here.  He’s got the puncher’s chance.  But, he has to land em, and land em with intent and accuracy I’d think.  The odds are that Matsuda may get it to the ground and unless Jukassa’s defensive grappling and escapes are up to the task that may spell trouble.

Main Event:

Joseph DeAngelo (13-4-0) v Psiris Fuhren (11-6-0)

Our Main Event tonight is a Top Contender battle and will put one of these two potentially one step away from a title shot.  This is what you work for, the opportunity to earn your way to the top, and these guys are so close they can likely taste it! 

For Fuhren, this is familiar territory as he’s been in this position, and more, a trifecta of times.  He’s worked his way to the title fight but come up short against Machado, Christiano and Kazuma.  But, no matter the setback, he always manages to bounce back and work his way into the picture again as one of the most skilled in the division (although the title shot against Christiano was at Welterweight).  But he has to figure out how to close the deal rather than getting to the big stage and letting nerves get to him, or so it seems.

DeAngelo was a former champion at WPFA and, after losing the title and then a follow-up fight after that, has been magnificent here at Sucker Punch.  He went on a three fight winning streak, stumbled slightly against both Zhao and Kuiva, but then bounced back strong to win three straight again, including a rematch with Zhao.  Now he looks for the opportunity to prove he deserves a title fight.  A win here, and he’ll be in the driver’s seat with a Top Contender battle on the line.  He’s about two hops away from staring at the belt and a chance to take it…but he needs to focus on a big win here first!

Donkey’s Pick:  DeAngelo via TKO (Strikes)

Much like several of our other fights on the card tonight, this one comes down to two amazing strikers facing off and seeing who is the superior warrior!  Expect an all-out explosion as these two highly skilled Middleweights lock horns tonight! 

So there we have it folks!  Tonight all the ghastly horrors you can imagine will be present in…the CAGE!  Hahaha, did I scare ya a little there?  Ah, don’t be afraid, get on down to the Sydney Superdome where all the thrilling, bone jarring action is set to take place in just under six hours!  We’ll be there, waiting for you!  Or catch it on the PPV if you’re too afraid to witness it in person…either way, fun and excitement is in the air tonight for Sucker Punch fans around the world! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1636117654SPPS_Poster_94.png

SUCKER PUNCH PREVIEW

Sucker Punch Pro Series 94

Hello to our Sucker Punch faithful worldwide out there!  Hare Rumpler here and I’m about to jump into what I hope will be a super-speedy preview along with my partner and buddy, Donkey “Dan” here.  Why am I going to attempt a speedy preview? Well, because my middle daughter’s marching band will be at the football team’s playoff game tonight and I got suckered into lugging a bunch of the instruments over in my SUV being that the normal instrument truck is not available to the band today.  So that means I have to cut out of here in less than four hours (from the time I’m starting to write this…likely shortly after I post this!) and have to make this quick!

But that doesn’t mean we don’t have some great action coming at you folks tonight!!!  We do!  Three action packed PPV hours of it as well along with seating for 30,000 screaming SPPS fans at the Sydney Superdome!  And what do we have in store tonight over there?  Well, let’s just say that the Featherweight title is on the line…yet it won’t be the Main Event despite being featured on the poster!  Yes, we actually have a special guest stepping in for one fight, a short notice one at that, along with one of our own who is showing what intestinal fortitude is all about to get right back in there just a week or two after his last fight!  We’ll talk about all of that a little bit more when we get into the Main Event later!

For now though, this is a Featherweight heavy card including the Title Fight I already mentioned.  Along with all those “skinny boy slap fights”, as Nati and Risa would put it, we have a really nice Middleweight bout to open things between Glanton and Shigemasa that I expect to be a cool finish.  We also have Ecker and Averyanov back I action after what feels like ages as they go at it and represent the Light Heavyweights tonight as the only pairing outside the Main Event.  We also have a big boy bout between Teixeira and Conchobhar to open up the Main Card and a Lightweight battle between two of Sucker Punch’s best, Cobain and River, to lead us right into the final two Main Events of the evening.  Woot!  Yeah, good stuff folks!

So, let’s just jump into things after a quick word about our merchandise partner and sponsor!

1584375781SWN.jpg

Do you find that you’re resting your fighters too often? Two, three, maybe even 4 times a week sometimes?  If that’s the case, you’re probably not supplementing their training, and if you are I’m thinking you’re not doing it with Shadow Warrior Tea 160Q, which is Shadow Warrior Nutrition’s outstanding energy loss reduction supplement.  It’s the best money can buy and will keep your fighter in the gym training rather than sitting days out resting!  Stop on over there today, you will NOT be disappointed!

Now, let's get to it!

Undercard Bout #1: Middleweights

Morioka Shigemasa (5-7-0) v Luke Glanton (3-11-0)

We kick things off tonight with a Middleweight contest that pits two very evenly matched fighters against one another!  Glanton is only a tad bit older but within 1k ID and both have equal skills, or thereabout.  Shigemasa will have a bit of an edge in Muay Thai which will be offset by the combination of boxing and wrestling where Glanton can claim the slightly better skillsets. Both come into the cage ready to go, fully gassed and morale on high!  Nice.

Glanton is a newcomer to Sucker Punch and makes his debut with us tonight.  Previously he was with HFC under current management for one fight but prior to that, under Gunnar Pleysa, he was with SMASH for a long time following a run at BBFC.  For his ID I think he was probably a bit overmatched at SMASH and the record shows it, as he had run off a six fight losing streak, five of which were with SMASH. Under current manager, Izzy Fisher, he managed to find his way back into the win column with HFC in August and will now try to continue that success here at Sucker Punch.  That win was via a beautiful first round KO that only took eighteen seconds…will we get the same tonight?

Shigemasa has a similar situation to Glanton’s going in that he was having some trouble finding wins with three losses in a row up until his last fight where he scored a first round KO over Humphrey Wellington.  In thirteen seconds.  Are you seeing a common theme here folks?  Yes, I’m hoping for an all-out throwing of hands and to open this night with a bang!  Up to you to decide which one throws the heavier shots!

Donkey’s Pick: Shigemasa via TKO (Strikes)

This is going to be a fun one to start things off with this evening Hare!  I can’t pick with confidence  here as both have had their struggles and this is about who has turned the page and can start putting together some wins.  So for now, I’m just going with the guy who’s been around SPPS longer and we’ll see what we have with both of these kids tonight!

Undercard Bout #2: Featherweights

Ecce Homo (4-5-2) v Apophis Kalmisto (2-3-0)

This next fight won’t be much of one unfortunately for me when it comes to my matchmaking results.  Fortunately though, it’ll likely be a great outcome for Kalmisto and the fans if Kalmisto can finish this thing…which he should.  Ecce Homo comes into this fight once again unprepared.  Hmm…could that trend be a reason for him not having a win in his last five fights?  Combine a manager who hasn’t been around in over a week with a fighter whose energy level is under 50% and morale is down due to lack of clothing changes…and what do you get?  Yep, an almost guaranteed win for his opponent!

Kalmisto just needs to come in the cage tonight focused and still ready to get the job done.  You don’t let opportunities like this slip away!  He has slight advantages in boxing and wrestling and an even bigger one in Jiu Jitsu.  He needs to make good on it and after the loss to Casey last month you can bet that a manager like Marky Mark will have Kalmisto ready to finish this one by the second round!  Expect a bit of boxing, maybe even some clinching despite that not being an area of advantage for Kalmisto.  But it should gas Homo out in no time and lead to a KO or TKO!

Donkey’s Pick: Kalmisto via TKO (Strikes)

This is a no-brainer pick for me.  I don’t even like small amounts of lack of prep and this one is just ridiculous.  Kalmisto will finish.  If he doesn’t, he might want to consider whether this is the right career path!

Undercard Bout #3: Featherweights

Destin Craven (9-8-0) v Carlos Villarreal (11-11-0)

Back to back Featherweight contests here and this is two for two with having at least one fighter very unprepared Donkey!  Now I’m starting to get annoyed!  Villarreal comes into this one with his morale on absolute zero despite having a manager who has been around lately.  Clearly he’s not paying attention to clothing changes and ensuring that he does possession changes and throws the old ones away for his fighter!  Jovian Siekert has only been around MMAT since June, so perhaps he doesn’t know these things  yet…which means you all can expect another reminder email from me after this to explain how it all works and why it’s important!

Villarreal has lost his last two fights under current management and clearly we know why.  Actually, his losing streak goes back three managers now and four fights.  Craven just needs to come in focused and ready to take care of business tonight.  It’s not impossible for a fighter with no morale to win, we’ve seen it happen before, but it’s certainly a big uphill battle and Craven gets the huge advantage due to it!

Craven needs any advantage he can get these days.  He’s on a four fight losing streak and five of his last six.  He desperately needs to find his way back to form, the form that had him in position to be a Top Contender in the division about a year ago.  He has some good submission abilities, or at least, he did.  Tonight would be a great night to use them against a guy who won’t have the will to keep the fight on the feet nor to fight off the sub attempts!

Donkey’s Pick: Craven via Submission (Armbar)

Not much more needs to be said. Again, an easy pick for me tonight given the lack of preparation by Villarreal. Sad to see, that kid had lots of potential.

Undercard Bout #4: Light Heavyweights

Andrei Averyanov (6-2-0) v Devin Ecker (6-7-0)

Our next to last fight on the Undercard and here we go, a couple of the “next to” big boys here in the Light Heavyweight division and both are well prepared to get in there tonight! Nice!  It feels like forever since I’ve seen Ecker or Averyanov in the cage but really it’s only been a little over a month.  I guess I just like watching these guys go or something!  Surprisingly this is the first meeting between these two despite how long each has been fighting for us!

Averyanov was on an absolute tear for a bit with six straight wins, five of them here at Sucker Punch after his first QFC test fight.  All of those fought at SPPS were finished via TKO or KO and Averyanov’s crew had become accustomed to taking home ‘KO of the Night’ awards…and ones that were well earned!  Then he ran into Victor Veidt who caught him at the end of the first round with a shot straight down the pipe that turned off the lights for Averyanov for the first time in his career and turned the tables.  A scenario he’d never dealt with before.  At the end of September he then faced Wille Thai, an elite ground artist and submission specialist who tested Averyanov’s abilities in that area.  Losing by submission (Americana), Averyanov came away with the realization that there are other areas he’s going to need to work on to be championship ready. 

Ecker will not bring the ground threat to the cage tonight in terms of submissions, so Averyanov won’t have to worry about that for the second fight in a row.  Instead, Ecker is a stand up, hit em hard sort of fighter but with the caveat that he is more than willing to take the fight to the ground to work the nasty ground and pound stuff!  It should be noted that Ecker was able to work his way past Wille Thai, something Averyanov was not able to do.  However, it should also be noted that Ecker has fallen to (T)KO’s a bit more in the past than Averyanov has, so while Ecker definitely has the ability to land em, and land em hard, his chin may be slightly susceptible as well which creates an interesting situation here tonight!

Donkey’s Pick: Averyanov via TKO (Strikes)

This is an intriguing matchup and I think that there are a few keys to this fight.  First, is Ecker interested in taking it to the ground and if so, can he?  If he can, will Averyanov fare any better with his ground skills against a striking attack than he did against the submission game of Thai’s?  The other factor is, can Averyanov get to Ecker in the standup game before Ecker ever gets the chance to get to the ground…or if he doesn’t try? And can he dish out strikes that win it without letting Ecker slip one through like Veidt did? Ecker is perfectly capable of turning off the lights too if the right shot lands.  I love this fight!  Can’t wait for it!

Undercard Bout #5: Featherweights

Brady Jean Baptiste (11-3-1) v Tyson Thompson (9-2-1)

Donkey, if you thought the last fight has all the looks of being a great one then I have a treat for you, because we’re not even out of the Undercard yet here and we have one last fight on it that should be a hell of a contest!

Thompson is on a tear and hasn’t lost a fight in his last four outings, going 3-0-1 with two wins in a row over Skywalker and Aalto.  Yes, that Aalto…former two time SPPS Featherweight Champ Aalto! That right there should tell you that this man is for real and he and manager Nicholas Bowers are quickly chasing their first Top Contender birth and a chance at the title.  If he wins tonight, we have a big fight potentially lined up for him next month that could give him the opportunity to start 2022 with that title fight on his hands!

Baptiste, much like Aalto who Thompson already faced, is a two time champion as well here at Featherweight!  He successfully defended the belt the first go-round but fell short the last time with a loss to Jihadi Joseph last month after he won the belt from Chulalongkorn.  He hasn’t known anything but a title fight over his last five outings so it’ll be a bit strange for him here to be working back towards that opportunity. 

Greg Connor is already in line for a title fight most likely on December 3rd after the winner of Joseph/Sitsongrit is determined (tonight).  But the winner here of Thompson/Baptiste is likely in line and we’ll have a month in between which means another fight before a title.  Depending upon how Nagashima does in his fight later tonight we’ll be figuring out who…might be taking on Frankie Logan!  Yes, Lightweight Champion Logan…who I have it on good word is going to step down a weight class for a couple fights and will be an immediate threat to anybody looking to step to the title here at Featherweight!

Donkey’s Pick: Thompson via Unanimous Decision

I expect this to be a war.  Two excellent fighters and while I was leaning towards taking Baptiste here, especially with his ability to draw out a fight and win via Decision, I have to respect what Thompson has done to date as well in the same area while also wielding a somewhat concerning submission game for his opponents.  Perhaps that diversity in attack gives him the edge tonight!

Main Card Bout #1: Heavyweights

Herleifr Conchobhar (12-5-1) v Jairzinho Teixeira (11-7-0)

We kick off the Main Card here and surprisingly this is the first ever meeting between Teixeira an Conchobhar! I expect this to be an epic clash of the big boys, Donkey!

Teixeira has had about six weeks to rebound from a loss in September to Edward Mills.  That fight saw him downed via KO early in the second round and ended a two fight winning streak where Teixeira had been the one dishing out the finishes.  Overall he’s been strong though with a winning record in recent fights, going 4-2 over his past six. 

Conchobhar hasn’t lost a fight in his past four, going 3-0-1 and coming off a win over Andre Powell in September, a quick first round finish only a minute and a half in!  He, too, is a nasty, hard hitting big boy who will come at Teixeira just as hard as Teixeira brings it himself!

We’ve got a clash of the titans on our hands here Donkey! Don’t expect any cute stuff in this one!

Donkey’s Pick: Conchobhar via TKO (Strikes)

If you like the big, massive bodies in the cage who say, “Screw that ground business!”, then this is the fight for you folks!  Hare called it correctly, a Clash of Titans!  This is another fight that I’m waiting to see for sure.  Seems I’m saying that a lot tonight, which means we’ve got one hell of a card on tap considering we just stepped into the Main Card and have four fights to go!

Main Card Bout #2: Featherweights

Magnificent Chulalongkorn (12-6-0) v Kaoru Nagashima (9-8-0)

Our next Featherweight contest on this Featherweight heavy card is a really, really interesting one Donkey!  Technically, at least on paper, Chulalongkorn has the advantage here.  Both in boxing and Muay Thai.  But, both of these fighters have considerable ground skills and in many fights they tend to use them. I could definitely see Chulalongkorn going either way in this one, either trying to make a point that he can win on the ground despite them being relatively equally skilled there, or simply showcasing his advantage on the feet.

But here’s the thing.  Ole Crazy Eyes there, Nagashima, has quietly turned things around and started stealthily moving up the ladder.  He was having a rough go of it for a while last year and into the beginning of 2021…then he suddenly found his way around Sucker Punch’s first Birthday!  Since then, he’s gone 6-2, was even 5-1 most recently and has two wins in a row.  Record-wise, he’s put himself into position to make a case for Top Contender status.  But quality of competition comes into play as well, as the two most talented fighters he faced over that period were Tyson Thompson and Luke Skywalker, both of whom he lost to.  You could arguably say that Yellow Belt Casey and Dankula fall right into that group as well, but Dankula has struggled in his return and Casey has found himself struggling against the elite in the division as well.  Long story short…Chulalongkorn is the test that Nagashima needs to pass to make a solid case for a run at the top!

Chulalongkorn was a three promotion champion with Sucker Punch the latest notch on his belt.  Although some will argue that you’re not a true champ unless you defend, something Chula failed to do after he won the belt from Aalto but then fell to Baptiste the following month back in August. Since then he also failed to get past Petsuwan Sitsongrit, another top talent in the division and currently the one chasing the championship tonight!  Tonight we’ll find out if Bjorn is still paying attention and caring about leading his man to a win or not though, as we have it on good record that Chulalongkorn may be joining his former camp-mate Derwent Bolt on the free agent market after tonight.

Donkey’s Pick: Nagashima via Majority Decision

Nagashima wants this.  Chulalongkorn may not care so much…although he might!  Just because Nagashima wants it doesn’t mean he can have it though!  He needs to come prepared to get it!  If he does, it’ll be by a tight decision or a slick submission!

Main Card Bout #3:  Lightweights

Guy River (9-4-0) v Kurt Cobain (12-6-0)

This final fight before our Main Events tonight is a hugely important one for the Lightweight division folks!  Now, normally, given the way I do things typically, this fight would be a Top Contender battle with a title shot on the line.  However, the Lightweight division has failed to produce much churn over the past half year or more for contenders and we seem to have some stagnation in the lower ranks with folks unable to put together consistency and rise up to the top.  So with only two or three guys repeatedly stepping on those below but not being able to take and hold onto their chances at the title we’re probably going to have to let things cook for a bit! 

So that’s why I wasn’t much bothered by a request from Frankie Logan to see a bit of variety for the next couple fights.  Hell, not only wasn’t I bothered, I’m all for it!  So, he’ll likely be stepping into the Featherweight division for a bit and we’ll be leaving the Lightweight title in his hands for a while until this division can really start to shape itself up. 

So without a title shot on the line here (River has seen three in the past 6 months and Cobain, while tentatively on track for one should he win with a three fight streak going, still had three losses in a row just before that), what does this fight really mean?  Well, it sets somebody up to dictate to the rest of the division, “If you want to put yourself in position to have a shot at the title when Frankie returns to Lightweight action…you’d better damn well prove it with a run of wins against the top…and I’m the TOP!”  Yes, the winner here will be in position to play ultimate gatekeeper for a couple months, either proving that they absolutely, positively deserve the next shot, regardless of how many they’ve had, or…that somebody else damn well better show they can earn it!

The gauntlet is laid down in the Lightweight division and honestly shows why we very much need to be thinking about unrestricted ID over the next 4-5 months to up the competition level in the division overall. But for now…this becomes a murder pit with a mini-tournament sorta going on to see who gets Logan next in two or three months!

Now, Donkey, tell us what we can expect between these two tonight?

Donkey’s Pick: River via Unanimous Decision

Surprisingly this is the first time these two have met in the Lightweight division!  What you can expect from Cobain is very straightforward.  Pain.  Strikes. Punches to the face.  And ones that hurt.  He’s going to hit and hit hard.  Although, I believe he’s developed his ability to be a technical striker as well these days.  So watch out for him pointing you to death with a bunch of hard to semi-hard yet accurate shots as well!  River is more diverse in his approach.  And he’s also shown that if anybody out there can take out Logan potentially at the moment, it’s him.  He’s faced Logan three times.  He’s walked away the winner…and the only person to take the belt from him, on the second of those three tries.  Unfortunately for him, Logan came back with an answer to that in September and subbed him out with an armbar.  The first time Logan showed that, “Hey, look folks, I can pull off submissions! Fun!”  Not fun for River.  River is a kickboxer who can also work the clinch if need be.  I’m wondering if maybe he brought more clinch to the game tonight against hard striking Cobain?

Co-Main Event:

Featherweight Championship Bout

Jihadi Joseph (9-1-0) v Petsuwan Sitsongrit (8-1-0)

Our Co-Main Event tonight holds our Championship fight!!!  Featherweight belt on the line folks and much to my own surprise this is the first time Petsuwan Sitsongrit and Jihadi Joseph have met in the cage!  Sitsongrit will have the smallest of edges in both areas of standup tonight.  Joseph will be the better Jiu Jitsu practitioner.

Sitsongrit has been quietly biding his time.  He has been eligible for Top Contender status and a title fight for quite some time but wanted to continue development before preparing to swim with the sharks.  Over the past several months he’s waded into the feeding grounds, taking on folks like Dismantle, Bremner and Chulalongkorn.  And coming away victorious!  That’s a clear indication that he’s ready and now is the time!  He takes on first time defending champion Jihadi Joseph tonight, and you can bet that Sitsongrit will bring his usual technical striking, stinging like a bee, approach and try to push this fight to the very distance.  Can he do that for five rounds?!?

The 9-1 Joseph has only lost once in his career and that was just before joining Sucker Punch.  He’s now won SEVEN in a row and while early on I was “easing” him in competition wise relative to his own skill level, ID and age…his manager, Alex K. made it clear to me early on that his boy was brought in because he felt he could compete with the best, regardless of “skill estimate” or age!  Sure enough, he proved that not only was he able to do that, going through the likes of Drake, Aalto and some of the other best the division has of late…but then he stepped into the spotlight with hardware on the line…and came away somewhat of the DARK HORSE CHAMPION!  This boy has chutzpa!  This boy has heart!  This boy…is a champion!

Last month when Joseph upset Baptiste to win the belt he answered the question we just asked about Sitsongrit.  Could he go five big ones and come out on top with the judges?  The answer was yes…by a slim margin.  It was a Majority Decision.  Tonight, he’ll face a similarly styled fighter in Sitsongrit, who takes the style of alliance mate Laz Staz, at least that which he uses for Baptiste, and ratchets it up to another level!  This is the toughest challenge for Joseph and his manager Alex K. since he’s been here and I’m ready to find out who will stand victorious in the end!

Donkey’s Pick: Joseph via TKO (Strikes)

Sitsongrit is the money pick here.  His manager has made a living knowing how to work the fights, even long ones, by picking his opponents apart and leaving them in shambles when the judges make the call!  Especially at the lower weight classes like this one…this is his wheelhouse!  That said…Alex K. and Joseph have never stopped surprising me every single fight and I’m not about to bet against them tonight!  And if he gets ahead on the points and can get his shots in, I can see him wearing Sitsongrit’s tank down and getting the TKO!

Main Event:

Featured Light Heavyweight Bout

Ray Jones (11-3-0) v Radu Dracul (4-1-0)

Our Main Event is a special one!!!  Both of these fighters stepped up on short notice to fill an open card slot tonight and did so with less than a week to prepare for it!  That’s friggin’ rockin’ huge as shit, balls out, stuff you have to LOVE!!!  Yeah, that made no sense, but that should tell you how much I love what these two did with no hesitation…just “BRING IT!”  And for it, they are the Main Event, as their hype is through the roof for this card!

And I think it’s important here to give a shout out to BLAZE as they were good enough to loan Jones to us upon Jones’ request for this fight tonight.  Jones was available for a fight, saw we needed one and came asking.  We didn’t poach Jones, never would.  This is a one night only deal and then he’s back with Blaze, but we can’t thank them enough!

Dracul is our long-time, relatively speaking, resident here at SPPS in this bout.  He is an absolute beast on the ground with elite wrestling and a black belt in Jiu Jitsu!  But don’t expect any of that silly submission stuff…no, this man is a lunatic who loves to dish out the nasty, the cruel, the vicious…the plain ole mean as shit strikes from above as he relishes the pain on his opponents face and the grunts of despair from his victims!  Jones had better pray his takedown D is on point tonight, and if not, that his defensive grappling, transition and escape skills are up to the task!

That said, Jones is a beast in his own right on the feet and also comes with more than solid, hell, I’d call them formidable, ground skills likely intended to counter the Dracul’s of the world!  With elite boxing and exceptional Muay Thai and wrestling skills he’s going to be a force in there tonight and one that Dracul had damned well better respect.  Because the moment you don’t…is the moment you get tagged and don’t know why everybody’s suddenly looking down at you when you wake up!

Donkey’s Pick:  Dracul via Submission (Strikes)

Ok, I know Hare made this sound like a complete striker vs. grappler contest tonight.  And it is that for the most part.  But bear in mind that Jones has considerable submission skills as well and has proven them several times in his career, most notably his very last fight against Anthony Ochoa over at BLAZE!  So anything is possible from his end tonight.  But yes, if Dracul does get to the ground…and maintains dominant position…this could be a painful endeavor for Jones.  Jones has the overall edge in skill…Dracul has the niche skillset that is absolutely elite and dangerous.  A great fight!  I’m going with Dracul because he’s our guy…but I do like Jones’ chances a lot here and if I was to call it the other way I’d say Jones via submission!

Tonight will be an amazing card!  Almost every single fight, aside from those two early ones where we have unprepared fighters, is a MUST see!  So get on down to the Sydney Superdome and let’s rock Sydney to its core together tonight!  We’ll make em KNOW that Sucker Punch is in town!!!!

• Upvote 3

1586007626SuckerPunchOrg_Logo_5.png

Hey Sucker Punch Fans!

So it's been a while since I touched on a few of these topics and I just really feel it's important for me to cover them every so often, especially for newer managers or guys who just may not be aware of the particulars with these things!  Anyways, this bit of info is to help with Energy, Morale and Flights (and the lack of needing to use them!).

First, ENERGY: This one is important for both training as well as on fight day. Training - If your fighter has dropped below 90% energy...he is NOT going to get the very best from his training, which means eventually if you continue training this way, your guy will fall behind others regardless of his learning speed or not. Fights - If you let your fighter walk into a fight without close to his full energy, there is a very good chance you are setting him up for a loss. If he doesn't get lucky and finish the fight early via a KO or Sub, there is a very good chance that as the fight drags on, even as early as late in the first round, he's going to get gassed and be more susceptible to being finished. Give your guy the best shot possible...keep his energy ready to go on fight day, and be sure he's training at above 90%!

Regaining Energy: The only way to regain energy is to rest him (set his training schedule to "no training" for as many days as it takes to get back to where you want him. You can find out how many days it will take by going to the little icon at the top right of your fighter's page that looks like a weight, located between the red "VS" and the Eyeball icons. It helps keeping the energy up if you are using supplements as well, but the main thing is to manage those training sessions, lay off before a fight for at least 2 sessions or however many it takes to get back to or close to full energy!

Now, MORALE: If your guy has not regained his morale to close to 100%, or at least over 95% or so, then the lower he is the less chance he's going to go into a fight focused and having the confidence to try to win it. Morale will drop for a number of reasons, including a loss in a fight and not changing his clothes often enough. If your poor dude is still wearing his magic white t-shirt and shorts, it's time to change that up.

Regaining Morale: You will want to go to "Possessions" in the right hand menu of the page, right down between Sponsors and Finances and check for his clothing and supplement usage there. If he doesn't have any other clothes, you should consider going shopping for some. If his morale needs to be boosted back up, try changing his clothes every day (by using the trash can next to his top and bottom items of clothing to throw away one copy, which will bring the quality back from whatever it is to "150" again) until the morale eventually works back to where you want it. After that, changing them every so often when the quality of them gets down to 140 or lower should keep his morale up barring a loss in a fight.  If you need detailed information on how to do this, feel free to reach out to me!

Last but not least, FLIGHTS:  There is absolutely no need to ever take a flight with your fighter to the fight locations before his fight.  Your fighter will automatically take part in the fight card no matter where he's located, so don't schedule a flight of him.  Stay in his hometown where his gym is and your guy will simply fight and still be there afterward.  No loss of $ sending him to the fight, no loss of energy and no loss of time!  So, keep this in mind when deciding upon orgs to join, the location of the org does not factor into things these days ever since Mike turned off the need to fly to your fights about 2 years ago!

Anyways, I hope this helps any newer managers out there. Reach out to me or any other experienced manager if you have any questions. Others might have other tips for you as well, but I hope this helps get all of our cheap shot artists in the best shape they can be come fight day and during training! More experienced managers, feel free to jump in here with any additional pieces of information that I failed to touch on, or to correct me as necessary!

Take care,
Hare

• Upvote 4

Nagashima shoots for a takedown but Chulalongkorn saw that one coming a mile off and avoided it easily.
Chulalongkorn lands a jab to the head.
rocked.gif
Nagashima is rocked!
Nagashima is aggressively charging in as Chulalongkorn backs up avoiding any damage. Chulalongkorn tosses out a jab and Nagashima runs right into it face first! Nagashima is out cold! Chulalongkorn dropped down on all fours and is barking in Nagashima's face like a pit bull in celebration until the ref was finally able to pull him away!

Ladies and gentlemen, after 1:39 of round 2, we have a winner by way of KO (Punch). Magnificent Chulalongkorn!
Magnificent Chulalongkorn bigged himself up after the win. The crowd seemed to love it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, andy808 said:

What is that even referring to? Enlighten me. Comical coming from the guy who cant succeed with his own fighters and has to fight 98% of his roster with other people's fighters

I managed my own created fighter to number one p4p, HOF. 

Which one is yours? ?

And yes, I find it more challenging and interesting to try and do well with released fighters, than to farm quick learning granite chins and fight them in ID orgs for as long as possible. 

3 minutes ago, andy808 said:

Said the guy who's lone homegrown fighter is a granite that has fought a whopping 8 times in almost 2 years..... in an ID restricted org like you tried to argue against me. Youre not exactly the brightest at this are you

Where is your number one p4p homegrown fighter big boy...? ?

And about my ID org fighters, don't worry, they go unrestricted quick. Perhaps they might see your guys there. Oh wait.. You don't fight there.