The Quest for the QFC

Alfred

Today marks day five that my three young prospective LoL fighters have been eagerly waiting a chance to impress me in the QFC system.

So far they have been denied this opportunity. 

There was a time in days of old where the QFC was a rapid, reliable way to test your newest prospects if you didn't mind the two day wait. Now, obviously, not so much. 

I can only imagine what a new player would think of this. I doubt they would be sticking around very long at all. 

Ho-hum. Maybe today is their lucky day?

• Upvote 2

Yeah tbh the reason I wouldn't like QFC is people are either testing projects they're going to immediately drop, or they're taking a dive to check morale.

People should be stuck with fighters for like 6 months or something. The idea of picking up and putting down fighters every 20 seconds is what makes QFC not worthwhile. If I lose in QFC I fancy fighting that guy again down the line, not see him immediately get released because he didn't pop 3/3 great things.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, clydebankblitz said:

Yeah tbh the reason I wouldn't like QFC is people are either testing projects they're going to immediately drop, or they're taking a dive to check morale.

People should be stuck with fighters for like 6 months or something. The idea of picking up and putting down fighters every 20 seconds is what makes QFC not worthwhile. If I lose in QFC I fancy fighting that guy again down the line, not see him immediately get released because he didn't pop 3/3 great things.

6 months??

i think the 15 days is more than reasonable, especially considering that it essentially costs real life money to release someone early

as much as I love this game, when 360k rolled around i had to create about 15 fighters before I got one with decent enough learning speed and hiddens. If i had to keep those 15 scrubs? I’d be over mmat pretty quickly, lmao

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, clydebankblitz said:

So you'd rather guys get stuck with bums for half a year? If I'm a new player and create 4 slow learning fighter with crap hidden and have to sit through loss after loss for half a year I'd probably quit.

If you're a new player you don't know what hiddens are. The game has come down to this exact science of repetition. I could open up automation software, get it to arrange all my guys their first fights, check what their hiddens pop and auto release them if they aren't good. That's not really "playing the game". If everyone is just looking for the exact same stuff every single time, and they just make and drop fighters until they find it....what's the point in having worse fighters then? If people ONLY want to play with the best possible fighters and refuse any concept of playing the game that didnt pop granite chin or whatever...whats the point of having fighters without granite chins? So we can have people to lose in test fights?

Some fighters having a weaker chin, or some fighters getting cut more, or some fighters struggling with heart. If you just want everyone built with the exact cookie cutter mould, then where's the fun? JUST in sliders? If it's JUST in sliders, why even have "bums" if no one wants to play with them?

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, andy808 said:

Do sports team draft/keep their bums? Lol no, your argument is as dumb as your roster being all 25yo island fighters

Do sports teams know their guys are bums after their first game? Does a player go out on the pitch and they look at a sheet of paper and it says "Marco Johnson likes pizza" and the coach is like "Ah shit alright he's never played another game ever again".

It's too formulaic. You KNOW in one or two fighters whether or not someone is a complete dud forever.  Maybe if they hid the text on the pages it could give people more time to think "Was that a big punch or a bad chin?". "Was that a normal cut or is he weak to cuts?".

And I guarantee I have more fun, as do the other guys playing on The Island, having guys fighting frequently than when you make a guy and bake him for 12 months. I'm currently talking on discord with someone now about my 5-3-1 or whatever fighter because both of us are having a lot of fun playing against each other.

It's a game. It's fun. You guys are the type to make a new COD account just because you had a bad game and it ruined your KD. Cooking a fighter for a year isn't fun. No one thinks it is. New players to any game want to play the game. They dont want to stick all 4 of their fighter slots on projects in gyms and be like "Aite bet see you guys in 6 months".

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, clydebankblitz said:

If you're a new player you don't know what hiddens are. The game has come down to this exact science of repetition. I could open up automation software, get it to arrange all my guys their first fights, check what their hiddens pop and auto release them if they aren't good. That's not really "playing the game". If everyone is just looking for the exact same stuff every single time, and they just make and drop fighters until they find it....what's the point in having worse fighters then? If people ONLY want to play with the best possible fighters and refuse any concept of playing the game that didnt pop granite chin or whatever...whats the point of having fighters without granite chins? So we can have people to lose in test fights?

Some fighters having a weaker chin, or some fighters getting cut more, or some fighters struggling with heart. If you just want everyone built with the exact cookie cutter mould, then where's the fun? JUST in sliders? If it's JUST in sliders, why even have "bums" if no one wants to play with them?

and fair enough, having varying hiddens on your roster does add an exciting element to play- all depends on what you want to get out of the game. I'm not particularly looking for my fighters to be the best in the world, and I have some fighters on my roster currently with things like "big right hand" and "determined." These fighters almost feel more rewarding whenever you're able to win with them. I wasn't disagreeing on the idea of roster diversity, just on the mandatory keeping of fighters. I personally don't only play by this formula, and i'm sure many don't, but imo you should be able to hack and slash your roster into a fine granite if that's your MO. :)

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, popart said:

6 months??

i think the 15 days is more than reasonable, especially considering that it essentially costs real life money to release someone early

as much as I love this game, when 360k rolled around i had to create about 15 fighters before I got one with decent enough learning speed and hiddens. If i had to keep those 15 scrubs? I’d be over mmat pretty quickly, lmao

I have gotten really lucky... not with learning speed but out of the two fighters I created for 370k 1 had good learning speed plus granite chin and the other I didn't care about because he is the "son" of the first fighter I ever made who ended his career 9-5 so I wasn't worried about his skills because his dad was pretty bad (I was hopeful but I didn't care, still using him lol).. For 360k I kept 1 of 4 fighters (3 had terrible learning speed and the one I kept was just average) but he had a granite chin and crazy KO power, for 350k (besides fighters for the island which was a big mistake that season for me haha) I only made one fighter, I had him for 2 months before he fought and he popped granite chin, 340 I had no idea what hiddens were, how to train, what learning speed even was ( I literally thought every fighter learned at the same speed) and the guy I kept, I made for 340k (who is actually 345k) has a granite chin, only depops on occasion lmao, and was the start of my whole online persona and charade.. Other than that maybe 70% of my fighters I have, I've gotten off the free agents list for sparring purposes or because someone released a young guy who could one day fill in a void of sparring purposes lmao most my losses have came from fighters I picked up to spar and decided to accept an offer for the hell of it.  I did make a ton of 340k fighters though, I used to release fighters no matter what they popped even if they only lost one fight... I was and still pretty much am a perfectionist at EVERYTHING I do and that is why I have such a strong love/hate relationship with this game because the sliders, still after 3 years make absolutely no sense and the top guys basically just use the same slider settings and hope for the "hiddens" to do the rest of the work which is a disgusting oversight by Mike that really sucks mostly all competitiveness out of the game. For the managers who use the same sliders fight in and fight out, there should be some sort of diminishing returns. Like make people come up with some real strategy lol EVERY fighter in real life is different, no two people think the same no matter how similar, no two people move the exact same regardless of similarity, there is no way in hell certain weight classes (especially the lower ones and the heavyweights) should have any sort of "sweet spot" for the sliders, every fight should be treated a it's own fight. Clinch cheesing especially, it's probably the worst... You outrike your opponent 100 strikes to 40 and they win because they spammed the clinch and spammed breaking the clinch? I understand "bad decisions" are a thing but that has happened to me a lot. lol especially when I first started playing. I am not so sure if winning or losing is the make it or break it thing for NOOBS, I almost quit within 2 weeks because I couldn't afford to train.. I understand the "Cozad" gyms are a thing but I am also not retarded and even from the very beginning all I wanted was my fighters to have good, proper training, because that is also very inexpensive and easy to find in real life. lol.. which I didn't really have until just before 360k came around. Money was and I think still is the biggest issue with newer players on the game... managers should start with 100k so there is no need for a NOOB fund, I borrowed probably about 80-100k within my first few months of playing. lol There is no room on this game to be a NOOB, it's not friendly to new players, the game does not want new players, you can tell by how it's set up.. I remember being confused af and a bit overwhelmed by the vast amount of features and the lack of a UI that is helpful to newer players, like now I know it like the back of my hand but new players and especially young players aren't going to have the patience for this. lol The least you can do is have some sort of run down about the fight " not the tale of the tape" have a message from the fighter or something, Like " guess we were too aggressive coach, I gassed out." or "maybe I should have worked on my strike defense, instead of just clinch work" SOMETHING that would actually help players out, like to this day I still have no Idea how I lost most my fights on this game. I spend hours analyzing and I don't understand why I can't beat some MANAGERS, it's not even fighters it's these damn Mangers on the game who set the sliders the same 2-3 ways and cheese the system, that gives everyone the "can't beat em, join em" mentality that sucks all the life, strategy, fun, and competitiveness out of the entire game and on top  of all that mess, Mike doesn't go in and mess with a few lines of scripting ( which is easy as hell by the way) every few weeks to keep these guys from using the same exact strategy fight in and fight out.  ANYBODY who doesn't agree with the fact that the fighting engine should be updated every few weeks (just slight tweaks nothing major) are the same Managers who are ruining this game. PERIOD.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, popart said:

and fair enough, having varying hiddens on your roster does add an exciting element to play- all depends on what you want to get out of the game. I'm not particularly looking for my fighters to be the best in the world, and I have some fighters on my roster currently with things like "big right hand" and "determined." These fighters almost feel more rewarding whenever you're able to win with them. I wasn't disagreeing on the idea of roster diversity, just on the mandatory keeping of fighters. I personally don't only play by this formula, and i'm sure many don't, but imo you should be able to hack and slash your roster into a fine granite if that's your MO. :)

Yeah maybe not mandatory keeping fighters cause you might just absolutely hate a guy in seconds. The hiddens like learning speed and when they start to decline are defo the big factors in making the game. They let you combine the skill of setting sliders, the knowledge of what is important to build in fighters and the chance that whether you're good or bad...you might just have rolled the dice wrong. But with the text on the screen it makes it a little bit TOO obvious. Maybe actually a good workaround would be when fighters go to FA, they don't automatically retire. They stick around and are the bulk of QFC fights. That way it's more like real life. The MANAGER dropped the fight, but that doesn't mean they can't fight again. You could end up with some cool AI success stories in QFC etc. Maybe their sliders are just set to a simple archtype. "This guy looks like a boxer, his settings are set to boxer settings" and maybe only Mike ever knows what those settings are, giving us even another layer of "How do you beat AI boxer?".

Ahh just random ideas. I just hate seeing guys get released because they're "never going to make it". It reminds me of when people call a fighter like let's say Jim Miller a bum because he'll never win the title. Not everyone is a born stud. The fact that it's rare that anyone actually is makes them all that more special when they come along.

@SavageMMA, to be fair man the diminishing returns is that your opponents see exactly what you're doing. They have factual stats to where you throw your shots. With enough fights with the same sliders, you could probably come up with a reasonably accurate dataset to predict the percentage of attacks. If you have all that access and you still can't beat them, stuff like that makes it fun. Having someone absolutely dominate by doing the same thing over and over is pretty cool. Khabib spent the bulk of his career doing it, even down to his final ever submission being an early career signature move of his (no, he didnt let go of the armbar to spare Gaethje in front of his parents lmfao). Stuff like that is cool because it makes everyone think "I'M gonna be the one to beat this. I have the secret".

9 hours ago, clydebankblitz said:

I don't think that's necessarily exclusive to QFC though. This whole disposable fighter thing has been going on for quite a while now with people going as far as to start testing orgs/events themselves and drop them instantly if they aren't granite chinned 7+ learners (not judging, have done it myself plenty of times) 

I get what you are saying in that people use the QFC to do what you are suggesting but I'm just pointing out that people would do it anyway. The far more problematic issue that I can see is that the QFC provided new and far more casual players the opportunity to come in and get to enjoy the fight part of the game. It's essential to the game for noobies and now it seems broken. It's an easy fix too. At a minimum Make the QFC global. Could make some other tweaks too as there are other problems even for older open ID fighters but that is another story. 

I agree with most of your gripes though. I really hate the way that the game has turned out with the disposable fighters and sparbots but I think it's mainly to do with the player base that we have remaining. Pretty much everyone knows the best, quickest and most efficient way of creating a top fighter. Back in the day you still had this kind of thing but just fleshed out with tons of casuals and noobs for them to feast on. Higher ranking managers were also probably more likely to keep lesser fighters on their roster because they weren't always going against other granite chinned KO monsters. Karter has told me about some of his best fighters having pretty mediocre hiddens overall so it can be done. Or used to at least. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Karter has told me about some of his best fighters having pretty mediocre hiddens overall so it can be done. Or used to at least. 

you don't need hiddens when you're the king of slider fu, the grand wizard of predictions, the slider GOD, the KO King, reincarnation of White Jesus, and just a straight up BAMF.

????

16 hours ago, Alfred said:

Today marks day five that my three young prospective LoL fighters have been eagerly waiting a chance to impress me in the QFC system.

So far they have been denied this opportunity. 

There was a time in days of old where the QFC was a rapid, reliable way to test your newest prospects if you didn't mind the two day wait. Now, obviously, not so much. 

I can only imagine what a new player would think of this. I doubt they would be sticking around very long at all. 

Ho-hum. Maybe today is their lucky day?

I got a buddy to join. He took got the lay of the land, paid for vip, opened a gym, signed to a couple of Orgs, tried to get QFC fights and promptly fucked off. No action was his reason. 

3 hours ago, Carciofi said:

I got a buddy to join. He took got the lay of the land, paid for vip, opened a gym, signed to a couple of Orgs, tried to get QFC fights and promptly fucked off. No action was his reason. 

Just the nature of the game tbh. Even 3 days rolling for QFC is 3 days without really getting to play or enjoy the game so there will always be limitations on who'll be a fan. 

8 hours ago, Zello said:

QFC times need to be shorter. Maybe 1 day between fights instead of 2.

Unpopular suggestion but I think we're gonna need some CPU Fighters in QFCs.

Definitely not an unpopular suggestion. That'd help with getting projects test fights faster, so you can find out their hiddens quickly and not waste time on them until they find a fight.