Looking like there will soon be too few good public gyms for new fighters- Maybe already an issue if starting

Bynum

Someone asked what one could do as a user to help with this problem.  If one has their business slot free or is willing to have their VIP eaten away at faster for owning an extra business, you can buy this gym before it has no buyers and closes:  https://mmatycoon.com/gympublic.php?gmid=4895.  I doubt it'll happen because Mike sets it up so if you have another business buying a gym as well will cause you to pay a lot more VIP per day (therefore, why in this thread we talk about a second business slot with a VIP account) so not only is the gym obviously a money loser but Mike will charge you a lot of VIP as a penalty for helping his game by stopping the very rare good public gym from closing, so it's a pretty big sacrifice, but if someone wants to help with the game's worthwhile public gym shortage, that would help it.  If a few people buy the few good public gyms if those gyms are about to fold otherwise, and a few more people read the help file to see what abilities coaches need for a gym to be good and open good public gyms, together that would have a big benefit to the gym situation.

I don't blame anyone at all for not doing it.  In my case I literally can't because there is a hard limit to owning one gym, but as much as it would cost in VIP I doubt I would anyway, because the system in place makes it super-costly in real life money because it costs significant VIP to have a gym as an extra company; but I thought I'd take a shot at seeing if someone might read this and buy it.

I referred to that gym in my original post the Hilo pair of gyms- one standup, one grappling- that between them make for a really great gym if one moves fighters between them to gain some skill at both assuming you don't just want a kickboxer or pure grappler (the one negative was that neither had any CT).  It's looking likely that that gym, the standup half of that, will close; though I really hope someone buys it.

Give us a second slot and maybe a gym like that would be bought and survive, or maybe instead someone would open some other quality public gym.  Either way helps (if the gym is quality, not crappy with single discipline coaches only or something).  Also getting rid of the hard limit on owning one gym per person would help, though Mike said in an announcement that the code on gyms made it hard technically to recode to allow someone to own more than one gym, even if they'd pay the VIP.

I would start a public gym similar to what you say, finance and run it but no way am i paying even more VIP days for the privilige, but if there was no penalties I would and Im sure others would too. It would have to be limited numbers public though or it will be the same problem = Those in public gyms are at a disadvantage to those with private

• Upvote 2

On 10/9/2021 at 5:34 AM, Gator001 said:

I would start a public gym similar to what you say, finance and run it but no way am i paying even more VIP days for the privilige, but if there was no penalties I would and Im sure others would too.

I 100% understand that.  I hope Mike reads this thread, if he hasn't been, and decides to stop charging people a lot extra to do something that will help keep knowledgeable new players around (the less knowledgeable ones won't realize why it's bad to train at Cozad, or why a typical public gym with only single-discipline coaches isn't any good; even the best public gyms aren't as good as having your own private gym, but a good public gym is way better than a cruddy one, the difference at least as big as the difference between a good public gym and a private gym; then they'll keep losing, not have any idea why, and quit in frustration).

3 minutes ago, scottxbandz said:

i like this idea if only one of the gyms can be private maybe?

Why would they be private? We need more PUBLIC gyms. By letting people franchise their gyms and open them in multiple cities it lets those who know how to properly run gyms give their gym access to more fighters in cities with poor public gyms.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Zello said:

Why would they be private? We need more PUBLIC gyms. By letting people franchise their gyms and open them in multiple cities it lets those who know how to properly run gyms give their gym access to more fighters in cities with poor public gyms.

yes but im saying dont even make it an option

• Upvote 1

On 10/9/2021 at 5:34 AM, Gator001 said:

I would start a public gym similar to what you say, finance and run it but no way am i paying even more VIP days for the privilige, but if there was no penalties I would and Im sure others would too. It would have to be limited numbers public though or it will be the same problem = Those in public gyms are at a disadvantage to those with private

George and I are opening a 35 cap public gym next week. There's another one coming within a month. I'm footing the bill on both. We could always use donations if you feel like it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I guess I never said it except by upvoting, but I love the chain of public gyms idea.

I opened my gym in Tokyo because I'd put fighters there because I didn't realize we could fight anywhere regardless of where we put our fighters, and I liked the idea of having fights come in in the middle of the night due to my often odd hours.  I don't want to move the gym and my fighters, but if I could open up LA and NY branches without paying extra VIP I would in a second, even though like my Tokyo gym they'd probably lose money.

I know Mike has said it would be a lot of work for him to make it so a player could own more than one gym, because the code assumes one gym.  And obviously it would almost never happen anyway at the level of VIP cost one would currently have to pay to do it.  But if he allowed without extra charge a chain of gyms, all having to be public, in either as many cities as one wanted or some limit whether it was 2, 3, or 4 or whatever...that would help a lot.  It would be worth the extra work.

Like DRussell, although if pushed to where I can't get decent training otherwise I'll take my gym private, there's something fun about having and training in a public gym, plus I feel like I'm helping the game and other players by keeping my gym public.  My record as I write this shows one can have success while doing that, though I'm sure I'd have more success if I took my gym private, and if you're reading this in a couple months who knows if my record will still be as good.  But so far as I write this I've been pretty successful in my gym and finding other good public gyms (though my favorite one besides my own closed last week, and another I like a lot as half of a tandem is apparently going to close also).

I'd love to open up a public gym and even potentially have a string of people open up a chain of gyms across every city in the game, but it's JUST the VIP time that's the problem. Spending a fortune on my own VIP time is just money I could put into someone else's VIP time that ultimately will help the game out better. If they removed the VIP time, and maybe just made me make a big one time payment or something to open a second company gym, I'd be much more interested.

3 minutes ago, scottxbandz said:

Maybe a good option for org owners would be able to make a gym that is a dedicated public gym option for the orgs...

Make it Gym partner or whatever you want it to be.

Maybe to help alleviate the session sizes there could be room for more coaches because i could see classes getting cluttered fast still..

That's a good idea, except that if the total coach skill limits (or the amount of coaches one can have without being subject to them) are relaxed for them it should also apply to all public gyms.  Maybe you meant that, but org gyms shouldn't get a special exception; it should apply to all public gyms if it's implemented...which seems good to me.  I'd love to increase capacity in my gym if I could add enough coaches the class sizes wouldn't get too big.

One change that could incentivize public gyms, and this is going to be very unpopular, but is to *slightly* nerf private gyms.

The problem now is that you can satisfy all of your needs in a private gym. So your fighters can just be anti-social assholes, never have to leave home, and never meet new people.

But the main thing is public gyms need to become a lot more viable, and as others have pointed out, get rid of the VIP penalty for public gyms. Nobody cares how much monopoly money you make or lose running a gym, but if people are losing real $, why the fuck are you going to open up essentially a charity gym.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, scottxbandz said:

i think a good improvement to gyms in general that could be made would be adding a hard class size cap... if a public gym doesnt want more than 4 people on a session then make the session unselectable once the class has 4 people in it.

A hard class size cap would be a great idea!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, scottxbandz said:

i think a good improvement to gyms in general that could be made would be adding a hard class size cap... if a public gym doesnt want more than 4 people on a session then make the session unselectable once the class has 4 people in it.

I honestly don't see any downside to this. This is absolutely something Mike should implement and it would big improvement for public gyms. 

You'd be able to have a large gym that has the advantage of a small gym. And it would formalize a system that is already basically in effect in the quality public gyms.

I'm someone that has a private gym and uses public gyms.

My private gym is slightly geared toward grappling. I can train several fighters in tds, subs, and def grap easy. But I can only train 2-3 fighters in stand up skills. So if I have someone that needs to focus on standup, I'll put them in a public gym that has a lot of space for training punches, strike def, kicks, etc. Then I'll alternate which fighters I have where so I can keep my fighters involved in sparring in my private gym and hold my space in the public gyms.

I'm wondering if anyone else does anything similar to this?

Just now, JudoJoker said:

I'm someone that has a private gym and uses public gyms.

My private gym is slightly geared toward grappling. I can train several fighters in tds, subs, and def grap easy. But I can only train 2-3 fighters in stand up skills. So if I have someone that needs to focus on standup, I'll put them in a public gym that has a lot of space for training punches, strike def, kicks, etc. Then I'll alternate which fighters I have where so I can keep my fighters involved in sparring in my private gym and hold my space in the public gyms.

I'm wondering if anyone else does anything similar to this?

Back when I had only 10 fighters and most of them were training secondaries, I'd use public gyms for my fighters who needed sparring. However, after getting to about 15 or so fighters I no longer needed to outsource. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

PUBLIC GYM ON JUICE

Looking for VIP manager(s) with a company slot who is here for the long haul. Will fund a public gym. Need a few managers to step up and chip in. Doesn't have to be motherload up front, but if/when fees get low, we'll send an influx of cash. Gym could become self sufficient when member count is up.

For those that don't know, coach skills improve with time. So if you make your coach at 130 instead of 150, one day, pretty far away because they're really, really, slow, they will be 150. This is how I have 16 coaches at Convicted Fight Club and not limited to 12. A few of these coaches are still not 150 rated and it's been years. So it isn't a quick process. I suspect larger classes = slightly faster coach improvement but this isn't confirmed.

Cozad is an embarrassment. 2 coaches. Superb cap. Skills locked and don't get better. So let's make cozad on juice. If your fighter has useless-- skills, he gets the same training he'd get with a competent coach as he would an elite one. So even a gym full of wonderful rated coaches could give a lot of noobs max training for the stats they need to boost up.

Coach List (3000 pt skill cap):

100 pts = Circuits (General)
100 pts = Circuits (General)
100 pts = Circuits (Speed)
100 pts = Circuits (Agility)
100 pts = Boxing (Punch Tech)
100 pts = Boxing (Punch Tech)
100 pts = Muay Thai (Kicks)
100 pts = Muay Thai (Kicks)
100 pts = Muay Thai (Knees)
100 pts = Muay Thai (Elbows)
200 pts = Boxing + Muay Thai (Striking Def)
200 pts = Boxing + Muay Thai (Striking Def)
300 pts = Boxing + Muay Thai + Wrestling (Clinchwork)
300 pts = Boxing + Muay Thai + Wrestling (Clinchwork)
100 pts = Wrestling (Takedown)
100 pts = Wrestling (TD Def)
100 pts = Wrestling (TD Def)
200 pts = Wrestling + BJJ (Def Grappling)
200 pts = Wrestling + BJJ (Trans)
200 pts = Wrestling + BJJ (Escapes)
100 pts = BJJ (Sub Offense)

GNP is missing intentionally. If you want to add GNP, ditch a circuits and kicks/elbows coach, add BJJ/Wrestling and dedicate to GNP. I would do that and add another defensive grappling coach before adding GNP. Would stick to above format though. Gym should have 100+ members.

100 points in everything is already better than cozad, and in time it improves.

Once you make your coaches, you need to be committed to them. You can't delete them later and replace with a new one, unless you create that coach in ordinance with your total skill cap. I.E. my gym has 3,237.8 skill points. I would need to remove two elite coaches and would be able to add a coach with 62.2 skill points, because that would equate to 3000 total which is typically the limit.

• Upvote 3