Whats with all the spam??

They still aren't done either, hit the off topic like four hours ago twice.

All of the recent attacks have used OLD accounts already set up on the site with zero prior posts.

These all have email addresses with a very apparent pattern but which are very hard to combat with the available website tools.

On a few occasions I have logged onto spot a user name that looks similar to the dozens they have used before and I have checked the email address, seen it looks very much like the format used for the others and managed to ban them before they even posted anything.

Script kiddies could have easily manufactured thousands of accounts on this website with some very simple automation and all done long before measures were put in place to make sign up more secure.

I have suggested a purge of all old accounts with zero posts to clear out all the possible accounts these spammers can use, whether that's possible under this forum's back end or not I don't know.

The alternative is having access to the full members list of accounts with emails & manually deleting/banning them which could take a long time if there are a lot in there.

For example I literally just banned:

https://forums.mmatycoon.com/index.php?/profile/123492-andreasbgp/

https://forums.mmatycoon.com/index.php?/profile/124547-viktorijkl/

https://forums.mmatycoon.com/index.php?/profile/125461-agrohimbcj/

All have a similar email address "style" (mods & admins can see these) and all of them had zero prior activity, no posts, likes, dislikes, etc.

Look at their joined date and all are historical accounts, same pattern as all of the prior Russian-langauge spammers.

I've looked athe IP addresses and they have all been VPN servers, and most of them are on IP blacklist addresses. e.g.

Andreasbgp

11 minutes ago  ·  188.214.122.57

https://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/188.214.122.57

Mike told me a few weeks ago that he was working on translating the game into Spanish. But that can’t take that long, can it? I keep telling myself that he bought part of the game, he can’t just abandon it, but it’s at least looking like a lot of those visions won’t be accomplished.

5 hours ago, Fireballer34 said:

Mike told me a few weeks ago that he was working on translating the game into Spanish. But that can’t take that long, can it? I keep telling myself that he bought part of the game, he can’t just abandon it, but it’s at least looking like a lot of those visions won’t be accomplished.

Spanish that was a new one.. and honestly doesn't seem like the smartest thing to put ahead of everything else on that roadmap they were supposed to show us. Translating a site is not just about rewriting text. You also need to add the setting, add support to every single page to handle the logic of which language to display. Then all the places where you have game logic and text generation mixed up, like the fight engine probably. How do you handle log/fight descriptions on a fighter when he changes manager to one with a different language? And once you are done, congratulations, you now increased the workload for any future development as you need to write all text twice and handle the language setting.

And how many new players (who stay) would this generate? I have no idea, but I'm not giving it great odds against spending some dev time on brushing up the new player experience including removing the autoflight warnings that is STILL in there. Would be hilarious if they were translated to spanish..

• Like 1

On 5/7/2024 at 12:24 AM, Fireballer34 said:

https://forums.mmatycoon.com/index.php?/profile/123013-carsonmq/

Here’s one that was just online. Only 2 letters at the end, but still a pattern.

Edit: https://forums.mmatycoon.com/index.php?/profile/124543-viktorinai/

another one. Damn there is a lot

Top one has an email unlike the rest of the spammers so will not ban that right away.

EDIT: have found a few spammers with email addresses similar to that top one now so these have been banned also, these email addresses also appeared on spam blacklists & they also fit the pattern of no prior posts yet they were created months ago & had no manager in game linked to them.

Bottom one was a Russian Spambot Account as its email had the same pattern as the other ones so that one is now banned - good catch.

21 hours ago, Fireballer34 said:

I think that is the least needed thing this game needs. Game overall is good but for start i think some simple changes as "This fighter is in a different city to his fight. He will lose 10 energy points on the flight to the city. The flight takes 4 hours."  and some marketing would be nice, or adding proper info page not that wiki stuff etc. I feel like english part has bunch of things that can be improved and why than add spanish on top of that?

if Bob Slay got a nickle for every russin spam bot he banned, he'd be rich

• Upvote 1