Different tactics per round

MMATycoon

Do you want different tactics per round?  

404 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want different tactics per round?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know / Don't care

I want to spend 4 rounds doing nothing but working over legs and body, no takedowns, it would be premature and get me punched in the face on the counter.. In the 5th, when my opponent is battered, bruised and tired, I want to takedown.

• Upvote 1

How about my point CK? :P

You mostly do that now. The problem with tactics per round is that you are setting up for something based off of what you hope happens. Then people will want sliders for if they are winning or losing and we are looking at a huge fucking mess.

With the way the sliders work now, you can set up for the later rounds. You just have to pay close attention to how the odds of success will change as the fight rolls and set accordingly. We all play with the same sliders and the last thing we need is an overly complicated system that will inevitably cause more problems than it solves.

• Downvote 1

Ignore my first few post that were made in a drunken stoned blur on the first several pages of this thread, I've went through this and gathered the (my) most important factors counter-arguing the need to implement this.

I also think that a new poll is very necessary to reset the toll, I still think people would favor new tactics per round out of obliviousness, but think it wouldn't be as one-sided.

My main worry with tactics per round would be that there would be a set way of doing things that would work far more often than it should do. For example. R1 leg kicks. R2 takedown GNP. R3 standup. I could totally see that working far too often and it becoming very boring. The fight engine is SOOO complicated that it took about 3 months of tweaking last year just to get it to where I was happy with it, JUST for the power vs accuracy slider. I just think this could potentially be absolutely impossible to balance.

I don't like it at all, I think it's unrealistic in the sense that after the first 5 minutes most gameplans either go out the window, or continue to do what they did in round 1. If ANYTHING, if this IS implemented... after round 1 your fighter needs to pass an intelligence check or be on 100% SHIG and if he's smart he'll go with your gameplan.

I also have never seen a fighter say "I was throwing a bunch of leg kicks in round 1 cuz my coach told me to, and I stopped in round 2 and threw just punches or shot in for takedowns because that was the gameplan" not that it doesn't happen, but most of the time guys go out there with 1 gameplan to use for the whole fight... they don't have set option A set option B - that is what "FMO and SHIG" is for. SHIG - if your fighter is smart - will switch up his gameplan if/when losing. You do this round by round nonsense and it's a waste of everybody's time when everything is functionable as is.

None of those fighters were on "100% follow orders". Clay Guida vs Gray Maynard - 100% FMO. Carlos Condit vs Nick Diaz - 100% FMO. If you want your fighter to deviate from your strategy, lean with the See How It Goes, or don't have it on 100% follow orders. With the way this game engine is set up, with probability, randomness, percentages, etc... different tactics per round would be severely flawed and screw with the game mechanics for a long time if created with significant detail. I think you would need to simplify it a lot more than the current sliders.

This is a good thing. Name one fighter who said he's gonna throw 60% head punches and 40% body punches, leg kick 70% of the time, exactly 5% takedowns, clinching 13% of the time, etc. It's impossible.

That would be retarded. Making slider setting any more time consuming and complicated would be a huge mistake. The game functions great. Let it be.

I always thought that hidden to FMO was related to intelligence or experience.

It should never be implemented. Over complication of things. Mike himself has stated the difficulties of it and the potential nonsense that would come with round by round tactics. I think he'd need to completely revamp the engine - or some part of it - to maintain the balance of the game, and even then there's some major flaws/problems it would bring.

With new stats, engine changes, etc we open up the possibilities of TD spam / 100% counter era all over again. I'll take playing it safe over sorry on this catagory especially since I'm not a fan of the idea before the potential complications it'd bring to the system. I've always thought it'd be a cheap way confuse the engine. I'd rather we eliminated the FMO and SHIG slider before adding round by round tactics. ******************************

The only option I'd ever agree with that has to do with other rounds would be FMO / SHIG. If FMO or SHIG in round 1 didn't work, the ability to FMO or SHIG at the start of round 2, without adding a whole sheet of tactics per round. Just simplify it to FMO or SHIG. No other tactics, just a SHIG / FMO box.

5:43 AM rambling. You pointed out how it could backfire big time... lol. That being said, I think it's much better this idea were to die off, despite what the majority voted. It's better to piss everybody off for the greater good of the game.

************* look what happened with new sliders and 100% CTD. **************

The vote has become lopsided unfortunately i REALLY dont think we should do this even though it would be cool,as i said,im a noob trying to learn the current sliders and i got 4 more mma/mmo fans to join and theyve all already quit. I'd really like to see the game grow and i just think this will make it harder for it to do so

Game's already complex enough, even a noob (at the time) had that realization early on in his tycoon career.

Guest VladTheImpaler

Would be good but only if he did apply different tactics on next round if he did loose the first one.

Fuck it, I suck as it is, I'll try to master this shit first.

If you need a couple lessons in slider wizardry all you have to do is ask me mate.

I've seen your idea of slider wizardry. I am not sure I agree with your definition of when a slider becomes a full size.

http://christopherfountain.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/fat-man-eating.jpg

I used to want round by round sliders, but the more it has been discussed, the more I think it would break the game. 75% of people who want it are planning on leg kicking for the first two rounds, then going for a takedown. The other 25% are planning on body punching for two rounds, then head hunting in the third. tt won't exactly revolutionize the game because everyone will be doing the same thing.

If we want different tactics, I suggest we implement cornering like we have talked about for years. Have corner men give a bump to fighter intelligence/experience so he will make better decisions with SHIG.

• Upvote 2

I agree with your idea,

however I do believe that tactics for each round should be general, not like now that there are so many things to include in your tactics, so that you will not change your tactic a lot. I hope you get my point :P

• 1 month later...

I like the idea a lot. Because lets say your fighter is striker who fights poor striker but good wrestler and you lack of takedown defense and go to round 3, you probably were taken down and are losing so you need a finish. I don't see any beter update to the game than that. However this update may make conditioning way more important than any other skill.

• Downvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

That would need to be a completely new/different part or type of game I think. Currently it runs a bunch of math and that is that, no real time influence from input to output.

• 7 months later...

hmmm... I just dont see the direct benefit of it. The reason why a fighter would change his tactics between rounds is usually in reaction to what his opponent is doing. Very seldom do you see a fighter change tactics dramatically between rounds as a predetermined strategy. I cant speak for everyone, but I know that I dont have a good enough grasp of the tactics to put together a solid strategy that would take advantage of mixing it up between rounds.

actually its OFTEN that fighters have a different strategy for different rounds. For example often u see someone throwing a lot of leg kicks early in the fight to slow down their opponent so in the later rounds they cant shoot takedowns or maneuver quickly...then when that mission is accomplished they step up the attack and knock them out or whatever. Happens all the time. planned an plotted and predetermined...oh YES it happens a LOT. in boxing AND MMA.

Over-complicating the system can fuck it up with the way this RNG engine works.

well Im not a programmer tech so for all I know u could be right...but it seems to me it would be rather SIMPLE to do. Just copy the coding for the sliders and set it up for 3/5 sets of sliders. Might add to much "bandwidth" or whatever it is...but most the work is already been done.

You mostly do that now. The problem with tactics per round is that you are setting up for something based off of what you hope happens. Then people will want sliders for if they are winning or losing and we are looking at a huge fucking mess.

With the way the sliders work now, you can set up for the later rounds. You just have to pay close attention to how the odds of success will change as the fight rolls and set accordingly. We all play with the same sliders and the last thing we need is an overly complicated system that will inevitably cause more problems than it solves.

"The problem with tactics per round is that you are setting up for something based off of what you hope happens." well if thats such a big problem then why have sliders at all? I mean thats exactly what sliders ARE already. Best I can see ur argument makes no logical sense. it sounds to me like u just dont like the sliders (perhaps to complicated for you?) and/or just dont want to do 3 times the work...OR its the extra THINKING u will be forced to do? idk...but I totally disagree with what SEEMS to be ur thought on this...

• Downvote 1

I think situational sliders would be the be better (if anything) but then you risk making it all over complicated and that'd require a ton of work on the engine most likely.

situational sliders...yeah thats a great idea....I like it! But I can see where it would be a nitemare to program.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

it crossed my mind as well, but when you think about it... the point of changing your strategy per round is in reaction to what your opponent is doing right? Like if you're getting owned on your feet for the first round, then you'll wanna take it to the ground.. but if your first round is going great (for whatever reason), then you'll wanna keep with that strategy.

true...for as far as it goes. HOWEVER there is a very common strategy that would change regardless wht ur opponent does and thats to wear him down with massive body/leg attacks in beginning the fight then go "upstairs" in last half....or go for the takedown after a bunch of leg kicks...this is extremely common in MMA and I think being able to set diff nstrategy each round would be a HUGE advancement to the fighting and MUCH more real. As it is now u stuck with either going defensive or offensive or ride the fence from beginning to end...very UNrealistic...altho the "adapt to fight" box for opponent and the See How It Goes slider address this slightly...its with no actual control or imput from the manager. I think adding different round strategy would take the fights in this game from 1-dimensional to a more "multi-dimensional" and be a BIG improvement. As it is now...u may as well just have one 15 minute round....