Dropping fighters' skill cap

listerman

Weidman, GSP and Jon Jones arent elite in every skill.... Also, in this game, your fighter can just be some run of the mill middle of the division fighter in a 15-30 ranked org and be basically elite. I have noticed the funnest fighters to use are the ones 30-50k behind the games current ID

GSP was trying out for the olympics at wrestling, a black belt in bjj, trained boxing under Freddie Roach, his MT isn't that great but he is is more of a TKD/Karate type of fighter.

Weidman is one of the better wrestlers in MMA and was an All American division 1 wrestler. His BJJ maybe a Brown belt then again he did beat Maia and beat up Silva on the ground. He held his own against Anderson Silva and Lyoto Machida who are two of the most fearsome strikers in MMA and are considered Elite fighters.

Jon Jones his boxing is rather crisp and knows how to use his reach really well same with his kicks he has out struck a vast majority of his opponents. if anything you could say his BJJ isn't the strongest then again most black belts in this game don't even have submissions just elite DG.

You haven't experienced fighting at the very top level of the game yet. When you are in a fight for the #1 p4p spot or the #1 in the division spot. Scouting what your opponents sliders are and trying to guess the damage he throws off the energy loss between strikes been thrown by the opponent etc. That is when the game gets very detail orientated, to me lower the fighter skill gap just makes it find the hole and destroy them instead of a test of sliders against another top manager. I hate fighting at the start of the game, if you look through the fighters i have i fight maybe 4 times to gauge their hiddens then just train them until they get to a level that they are good enough to compete against any one dimensional fighter. It is each to their own though if you enjoy fighting at that level once your fighters get to a certain skill level then cut them and repeat. Don't penalize those who enjoy the fighters skills the way they are just now.

• Downvote 1

• 8 months later...

^ I just think Elite is too much. I imagine an Elite boxer to be Floyd Mayweather or so- the top of the top. Wonderful or Exceptional should be enough to box in elite MMA (with the threat of the takedown, for example) but today, in the game, it isn't. I think we should lower the cap, maybe not to 60% but at least to something like 65~70% to begin with.

• Upvote 2

^ I just think Elite is too much. I imagine an Elite boxer to be Floyd Mayweather or so- the top of the top. Wonderful or Exceptional should be enough to box in elite MMA (with the threat of the takedown, for example) but today, in the game, it isn't. I think we should lower the cap, maybe not to 60% but at least to something like 65~70% to begin with.

Then imagine the elite tag as being elite in mma boxing and not real boxing.

I said it up there before, if you want to fight at the mid level area you can, you will still roughly get the same amount of years as those who fight at the top level of the game out of those fighters then cut them when they become too skilled for you to enjoy fighting with them anymore.

• 4 weeks later...

Elite has to do more with being within the best 1 or 2%(insert random number here) than being the best of best of best. Saying this, if there are 10000 MMA fighters(I have no idea how many worldwide are then in real life), then 100 would be elite.

In my head, if you're good enough to be in the UFC, then you're elite. Because you're part of that 1% who got chosen to be on the best org in the world(I know, there are exceptions both ways, don't get technical here pls). And let's face it, in you're not elite in BJJ or striking or clinching in the UFC, you'll get easily exposed and be quickly on your way out.

Also, anyone who partakes in mma training and goes on amateur circuits or as aspirations to be a fighter counts as a mma practicioner. This means the sample size is very big leading to having a lot of elite fighters. If you think about the skill difference between a newly created 18 year old and any fighter signed to EVO you understand what I mean.

Now, there are some fighters whose skills in a particular area are even scary to Elite fighters(Cormier's wrestling, Maia's BJJ, Rousey's Judo, etc) and I feel that this would be the direction to take in this game too.

Instead of lowering the cap, we should be thinking of adding one or a couple of new levels on top of elite.

What would this accomplish?

1- It would take longer for anyone to actually reach the top level on a skill

2- Since the cap would be the same, it would lead to a more unbalanced distribution of the skill points, leading to more fighter diversity

Right now it's common to have fighters at 15-15-14-Black but if you really want him to be a master at boxing for example it would have to be at a cost on other areas leading to having top fighters like this 17-14-11-Black or 11-10-17-Black.

I suppose it would make sense to only apply this to Primaries and physicals and leave secondaries with the same top level.

• Upvote 3

Elite has to do more with being within the best 1 or 2%(insert random number here) than being the best of best of best. Saying this, if there are 10000 MMA fighters(I have no idea how many worldwide are then in real life), then 100 would be elite.

In my head, if you're good enough to be in the UFC, then you're elite. Because you're part of that 1% who got chosen to be on the best org in the world(I know, there are exceptions both ways, don't get technical here pls). And let's face it, in you're not elite in BJJ or striking or clinching in the UFC, you'll get easily exposed and be quickly on your way out.

Also, anyone who partakes in mma training and goes on amateur circuits or as aspirations to be a fighter counts as a mma practicioner. This means the sample size is very big leading to having a lot of elite fighters. If you think about the skill difference between a newly created 18 year old and any fighter signed to EVO you understand what I mean.

Now, there are some fighters whose skills in a particular area are even scary to Elite fighters(Cormier's wrestling, Maia's BJJ, Rousey's Judo, etc) and I feel that this would be the direction to take in this game too.

Instead of lowering the cap, we should be thinking of adding one or a couple of new levels on top of elite.

What would this accomplish?

1- It would take longer for anyone to actually reach the top level on a skill

2- Since the cap would be the same, it would lead to a more unbalanced distribution of the skill points, leading to more fighter diversity

Right now it's common to have fighters at 15-15-14-Black but if you really want him to be a master at boxing for example it would have to be at a cost on other areas leading to having top fighters like this 17-14-11-Black or 11-10-17-Black.

I suppose it would make sense to only apply this to Primaries and physicals and leave secondaries with the same top level.

Uhhh this sound really interesting to me. I like this idea a lot and well thought trought.

Uhhh this sound really interesting to me. I like this idea a lot and well thought trought.

I think the potential problem with this is that the game is based on a 1 to150 scale. I don't know this for sure but I suspect that "adding" points above Elite would be really tricky because it would leave you with stat numbers beyond the scale the fight engine and training are made to function with.

The best I think Mike could do easily is shift around the levels for the skills and add in a couple of new skill names for the very top ranks (say, Spectacular for 156 to 158, and Astonishing for 149 to 150). However, all this would do is rename some skills for fighters who have extremely high Elite ranks. It wouldn't do anything to create real diversity. (Although, maybe it would have a psychological effect on people and make it "feel" like the fighters are more varied and I wouldn't complain.)

If I'm wrong and Mike can easily make the scale "bigger" and "stretch" the variety, then Torrelio's idea is a good one.

I can see a lot of declined fights.

and then they don't fight....what's the point of playing this game if you're not going to fight.

Someone else will fight in their place. I fail to see where the problem is.

I'd love to reduce the cap; it just depends how much of a fuss it would cause.

there was a suggestion I made on the previous page which would not require a cap drop.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe combining this change with making all the primaries BJJ belt style, refusals could be diminished.

If we were trying to mimic the belt system, just to keep it six categories similar to belt system (white, blue, purple, brown, black, red)

• Useless (0-9.99)
  • Feeble (10-39.99)
  • Competent (40-69.99)
  • Respectable (70-99.99)
  • Wonderful (100-129.99)
  • Elite (130+)

Only other alternative I could see to it mixed up and go with 7 categories. Lower cap for wonderful to 119.9, Sensational from 120-139.9, and Elite to 140+.

I feel like that'd be more realistic for the game in separating fighters skill set, even if the gap between stat/skill levels/labels isn't symmetric.

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...