Fight Engine Discussion

MMATycoon

He's done some GnP work and also increased takedowns off of kicks. Haven't really had a chance to play with it yet though.

May 4th

- Added a damage vs accuracy slider for ground and pound strikes. The aim is to try and make it easier for ground fighters to keep the fight on the mat and also to offer more variety in ground strategy. There has also been a 10% increase in the overall chance of GNP landing.

I hadn't seen the GNP update. That's good news. Wish I had seen it yesterday.

eds: We had aptitude for about a year and people wanted me to get rid of it cos it was too much added complexity or something.

Your soft points is pretty much exactly what's in place already.... you're basically just asking for those points to be made visible. that's a personal preference I guess but I've found people stress too much about all the visible info and when it's not displayed, they don't worry about it. I mean, we still pretty much have tickers but they're just hidden, so people don't even think about it. Obviously "soft skills" or whatever you want to call it isn't a negative, so that's different but I also get people complaining about clutter when we add new stuff to pages and if this was getting displayed somewhere, it would be a lot of extra info.

Now, if we cut through the (what I find really irritating) hashtagging, I think there's on really good idea that you have come up with and that's replacing age with a sort of training age, based off number of sessions trained. The only problem is, I don't think we store that info for non VIP fighters. We can approximate for existing fighters based on their ages. I really think this would make the game more fun when building up fighters and less projecty, as suggested.

• Upvote 1

So if you were to fight more and train less then the learning speed would stay higher for longer to compensate. That's an interesting idea. It would help my creation tournament fighters who've lost many sessions of training due to fortnightly fights early in their career.

• Upvote 1

eds: We had aptitude for about a year and people wanted me to get rid of it cos it was too much added complexity or something.

Your soft points is pretty much exactly what's in place already.... you're basically just asking for those points to be made visible. that's a personal preference I guess but I've found people stress too much about all the visible info and when it's not displayed, they don't worry about it. I mean, we still pretty much have tickers but they're just hidden, so people don't even think about it. Obviously "soft skills" or whatever you want to call it isn't a negative, so that's different but I also get people complaining about clutter when we add new stuff to pages and if this was getting displayed somewhere, it would be a lot of extra info.

Now, if we cut through the (what I find really irritating) hashtagging, I think there's on really good idea that you have come up with and that's replacing age with a sort of training age, based off number of sessions trained. The only problem is, I don't think we store that info for non VIP fighters. We can approximate for existing fighters based on their ages. I really think this would make the game more fun when building up fighters and less projecty, as suggested.

I understand we have a system in place like the "soft points". And I like it. Thats why I want to brainstorm ways to expand on it.

I would love to see the hard points become like a minimum skill level that your fighter will never fall below. Then your soft points be a faster paced, but fluctuating set of points that is controlled by your up to date training.

The reason why I suggest the soft points, is because it's really the only way to get fighter diversity. Outside of removing the training wall and letting ppl go to the high levels without penalty.

But if you want to keep the training wall then I think the alternative is to reduce the overall skill cap to around an average of superb or remarkable in all skills. And then subsidize it with around 200-400 soft points that go beyondthat, that ppl could shift around with current training

And yes I think getting rid of the penalty for fighting early should go directly to the top of the list

One major improvement would be to significantly increase the chance of something landing if it is thrown rarely. Say you have an elite dirty clinch boxer with 140 boxing and 140 punching. Then, it would be a viable build to give him elbows at 80 and knees at 80, instead of elbows at 140. Because the variation and the rarity of the elbows/knees would compensate for the lower skill.

You see this in real life all the time. Good strikers with the occasional takedown, or good grapplers to punch their way into the takedown. Or boxers that throw maybe 2 elbows the entire fight, but those elbows have a very high chance of landing, because the opponent isn't prepared. This would create variation in fighter builds, something we all want.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I for one am ok with the training speed, that is why you have restricted org to fight there till your at a decent level to compete with the cap fighters. I kind of like that is tough to have a 15 skill. This makes the game more diverse. I for one have 1 fighter at 22 years with 15 one of his secondaryes, and another 4 secondaries will pop to 15 in a month or even earlier if I train just those 4. That is 4 to 5 years to have a fighter with 5 secondaries to 15, plus psihicals almost all to 15, what do you want more from a fighter ? If we seep up the proces what is the role to create older fighters on the island and so on.

Edit: Got a bit off as I read the post from the earlier page. Saw you already talking about different stuff. Sorry about that.

• Upvote 2

I for one am ok with the training speed, that is why you have restricted org to fight there till your at a decent level to compete with the cap fighters. I kind of like that is tough to have a 15 skill. This makes the game more diverse. I for one have 1 fighter at 22 years with 15 one of his secondaryes, and another 4 secondaries will pop to 15 in a month or even earlier if I train just those 4. That is 4 to 5 years to have a fighter with 5 secondaries to 15, plus psihicals almost all to 15, what do you want more from a fighter ? If we seep up the proces what is the role to create older fighters on the island and so on.

Edit: Got a bit off as I read the post from the earlier page. Saw you already talking about different stuff. Sorry about that.

With me personally I don't have an issue with how long it takes fighters to be built. The speed of the game would be fine if you could eliminate the 6 months at the beginning of a fighters career that he does nothing but train. Fix that issue and you have essentially speed the game up 6 months in my eyes

• Upvote 2

Hey everyone, seeing as we are having a discussion on the fight engine, I wondered if I may be able to draw Mike out to give us a little insight. I can't remember if this discussion has taken place previously either in the forums or even privately but I wondered if I/we might be able to find out if the current game engine heavily favours punches over kicks? I have an example but before posting it I wanted to see what kind of feedback I received just from mentioning it. Not here to start a bitch fest just alittle clarity.

Hey everyone, seeing as we are having a discussion on the fight engine, I wondered if I may be able to draw Mike out to give us a little insight. I can't remember if this discussion has taken place previously either in the forums or even privately but I wondered if I/we might be able to find out if the current game engine heavily favours punches over kicks? I have an example but before posting it I wanted to see what kind of feedback I received just from mentioning it. Not here to start a bitch fest just alittle clarity.

Not sure if you're aware. Real life prioritizes punches over kicks. I would assume punches are easier and quicker to land and dont do as much damage as kicks. Just like the ufc and kickboxing.

Seems like you're just trying to flesh out your engine knowledge. Look at 20 fights among equal strikers and your answer will reveal itself!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not sure if you're aware. Real life prioritizes punches over kicks. I would assume punches are easier and quicker to land and dont do as much damage as kicks. Just like the ufc and kickboxing.

Seems like you're just trying to flesh out your engine knowledge. Look at 20 fights among equal strikers and your answer will reveal itself!

Thank you, i believe this may just be one example I was basing my question on and will continue to look into this on my own to avoid the somewhat sarcastic reply
  • Upvote 3

People want faster learning speed, but i feel like we need to make fighting before top orgs more fun.

I remember when there was 4kings and other id-orgs and it was really fun. I got guys at id-orgs now, where is basically like 3 good project and all others are total cans.

Fighting at really solid id-orgs would be fun, if there just would be those. I feel like all guys at 270,280 and so on. Are really split into so many orgs and plenty of guys are not fighting. Only problem with id-orgs is that styles make huge difference, so basically really bad fighter can win fights by pure luck and right skills.

I know there is now probably some ok id-orgs, that i just hacent checked. I got plenty of young guys that could basically sign to org now or really soon. :shades:

Id based tournaments would also make fighting before top more fun. U21 champions etc.

• Upvote 1

Another change that I think would be good would be adding another division to the QFC's. I normally do 1 as soon as I create then do another right below 1000 points, but then you either have to sign or wait until they have a lot of skill, because you could draw a beast. Put in a mid level like 1000-1250 points then anything over 1251 would be top level.

• Upvote 2

I have mentioned the corner men a few times, I have gotten no reply I take it that idea is out? I really think that would be a huge add to the game.

I personally do not like corner men. I don't think anything should be implemented into the game that might win you a fight that you otherwise would not have won on slider settings alone. I feel strongly this way.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

People want faster learning speed, but i feel like we need to make fighting before top orgs more fun.

I remember when there was 4kings and other id-orgs and it was really fun. I got guys at id-orgs now, where is basically like 3 good project and all others are total cans.

Fighting at really solid id-orgs would be fun, if there just would be those. I feel like all guys at 270,280 and so on. Are really split into so many orgs and plenty of guys are not fighting. Only problem with id-orgs is that styles make huge difference, so basically really bad fighter can win fights by pure luck and right skills.

I know there is now probably some ok id-orgs, that i just hacent checked. I got plenty of young guys that could basically sign to org now or really soon. :shades:

Id based tournaments would also make fighting before top more fun. U21 champions etc.

I agree. Calculating learning speed degradation by sessions trained is the way to solve this. That way you do not fall behind because you choose to fight. The advantage of training 6 months before fighting will be nullified

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'd like to see strikes from the bottom be more effective. Not in the, like, you can get a knockout off of it sense (but that may be a part of it-- like a small chance if the guy's taken a bunch of damage or something or if the person has a lot of knockout power), but in that they'll be thrown- and land more often and gas out your opponent sense.

I know you don't often see strikes from the bottom in fights, but that's not cuz' they're not effective. It's cuz' a lot of fighters are trained (falsely, I'll add) to think that's a useless thing to do, but a lot of fighters who do like to strike from the bottom have had a lot of success with it (Miguel Torres is one, and Bas Rutten's a big one.)

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I'd like to see strikes from the bottom be more effective. Not in the, like, you can get a knockout off of it sense (but that may be a part of it-- like a small chance if the guy's taken a bunch of damage or something or if the person has a lot of knockout power), but in that they'll be thrown- and land more often and gas out your opponent sense.

I know you don't often see strikes from the bottom in fights, but that's not cuz' they're not effective. It's cuz' a lot of fighters are trained (falsely, I'll add) to think that's a useless thing to do, but a lot of fighters who do like to strike from the bottom have had a lot of success with it (Miguel Torres is one, and Bas Rutten's a big one.)

not sure why people dislike this idea. I don't really think gassing them is totally necessary but I do recall Gegard Mousasi backhanding King Mo over and over again landing a very high % of ground strikes from his back.