Fight Engine Discussion

MMATycoon

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I was always good a sliders which is working directly with the game engine. It the game engine stayed like this forever it wouldn't be a bad thing. It is very balanced and allows for all body types and fighting styles. What more, every single body type & fighting style is competitive at the highest level, which is a very good sign.

There was a boost to takedowns a while back, especially off kicks, which was needed. The (fairly) recent boost to elbows and knees and slight nerf to head shots from clinch ay 15% was just right. The boxing wrestler is still strong and can compete at the highest level. But now, ELBOWS + KNEES also work. The 15% dmg increase was just right.

A lot of game developers will boost useless skills to make them overpowered. Elbows and knees are NOT overpowered today, just good.

Honestly, I wouldn't change anything about the fight engine right now.

Mikes refusal to remove autoflights even though it would literally take him 3 second doesn't make him more likable, but he always paid a lot of attention toward the fight engine and and tends to make high quality decisions in that realm. He was also always good at adding new sliders when needed, which is how you interact with the fight engine as a player.

• Upvote 4

Does it now mean there will be three ways to take someone down from a clinch? We already have takedowns (wrestling) and pull guard (bjj), now we will have clinch takedowns as well. I assume the previous takedowns won’t work in the clinch any more, which will make them less useful. But will the new clinch takedowns be easier than pulling guard? Will we be able to clinch takedown into bottom position?

Will we be able to reallocate unwanted points from knees elbows etc into the new skills?

Will the new physical cap affect already maxed out fighters? Will they be cut down automatically or will they be superheroes for the months until they retire? Should we be spamming CT now to get in before the cap?

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Does it now mean there will be three ways to take someone down from a clinch? We already have takedowns (wrestling) and pull guard (bjj), now we will have clinch takedowns as well. I assume the previous takedowns won’t work in the clinch any more, which will make them less useful. But will the new clinch takedowns be easier than pulling guard? Will we be able to clinch takedown into bottom position?

Will we be able to reallocate unwanted points from knees elbows etc into the new skills?

Will the new physical cap affect already maxed out fighters? Will they be cut down automatically or will they be superheroes for the months until they retire? Should we be spamming CT now to get in before the cap?

YEAH!! What he said. Been trying to find a way to ask this (failing miserably).

• Upvote 1

The (fairly) recent boost to elbows and knees and slight nerf to head shots from clinch ay 15% was just right. The boxing wrestler is still strong and can compete at the highest level. But now, ELBOWS + KNEES also work. The 15% dmg increase was just right.

A lot of game developers will boost useless skills to make them overpowered. Elbows and knees are NOT overpowered today, just good.

No. Maybe at the lightest weight classes.

when your HW with elite cardio (or any fighter cutting substantial weight to make w/c) gets gassed in the first minute of a fight after one knee to the body, you may want to reassess what impact the universal damage boost had.

It ain't perfect. Could vastly be improved. Would like to see control more viable option vs MT attack but it isn't and imo that is flawed.

Please nooooo clinch takedowns. Stupid stat. Might as well start sepperating clinch punch tech too so balance out striker vs grappler otherwise just making ANOTHER wrestling stat grapplers have to have.

Takedowns are universal. That's just common sense.

Your clinchwork ability dictates how effective your takedowns are from that/those positions.

Absolutely no need to make it a seperate statistic. If desperate for another MMA stat go with footwork and make it a boxing or a circuit stat that impacts both offensive and defensive striking effeciency, and have training punch tech, striking def, and boxing sparring boost footwork very moderately.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

It's hard to argue with your thinking, but I think I will anyway. Lol. Regarding the game that is, I have been under the assumption that sprawl and brawlers would need clinch takedown defence to counter clinch TDDs or am I mistaken?

As far as real life's concerned, there are many more takedown options from the clinch so it is would make sense to have more variability there. However, I may agree with you that as far as the game is concerned, this is not a priority.

What you said about more pending issues such as HVW's knees, energy loss and control in the clinch is a sound assessment. Would depleting (more) energy due to missed knees at heavier weights be a way to solve that conundrum? I like the idea of being able to control much more in the clinch (if you have better wrestling and strength).

I am inclined to agree with your points Rambo, but not so much the reasoning behind it.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Most people don't use knees though and there are only so many gyms (unless it is a private gym) that would allow a manager to reach elite knees anyway. It is a good counter to KO Power and Granite Chin opponents in my opinion if your fighter has terrible hiddens and he has at least wonderful knees, then again I'm still a fish out of water with only 3 months of experience so I haven't dealt with the same frustration you had Rambo lol.........

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Please nooooo clinch takedowns. Stupid stat. Might as well start sepperating clinch punch tech too so balance out striker vs grappler otherwise just making ANOTHER wrestling stat grapplers have to have.

Takedowns are universal. That's just common sense.

Your clinchwork ability dictates how effective your takedowns are from that/those positions.

Absolutely no need to make it a seperate statistic. If desperate for another MMA stat go with footwork and make it a boxing or a circuit stat that impacts both offensive and defensive striking effeciency, and have training punch tech, striking def, and boxing sparring boost footwork very moderately.

I HIGHLY DISAGREE WITH THAT LOAD OF CRAP YOU JUST SPEWED

Clinch takedown DOES need to be a thing... obviously, you have never fought or trained a day in your life, clinch takedown defense is COMPLETELY different from sprawling against an opponent attempting a takedown with space between you two. Also, clinch takedowns (sweeps, trips, position changes) are completely different than open space takedowns... WTF??? Are you mental? If we are going for realism, YES THEY ARE NEEDED.

• Downvote 4

Another thing, Knees and Head Kicks at the elite levels should be more powerful than punches... I understand it's a game and we want some balance, but a knee generates more power than ANY other strike in existence and a Head Kick from a professional Muy Thai fighter is just as powerful as swinging a wooden bat at full force... THE GAME NEEDS A LOT DONE TO THE FIGHT ENGINE. I still love it though!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Another thing, Knees and Head Kicks at the elite levels should be more powerful than punches... I understand it's a game and we want some balance, but a knee generates more power than ANY other strike in existence and a Head Kick from a professional Muy Thai fighter is just as powerful as swinging a wooden bat at full force... THE GAME NEEDS A LOT DONE TO THE FIGHT ENGINE. I still love it though!

This is already a thing.

• Upvote 1

I've seen that fighters don't win by submission as much as they do by KO. A fighter can KO his opponent on the ground as well. It seems to me like a fighter that strikes has the advantage over a fighter that goes for submissions

Because that is realistic.. Have you ever heard the saying "Punch a black belt once, he becomes a brown belt, punch him twice, he's a purple belt" and so on... It seems legit to me.