The New Players Guide to Effective Fighter Building

PSUMike

A sprawl n Brawler is a classic build which will work at a low level org

ive always focused on the ground game with my fighters, with most of them having competent or higher subs and about the same in bjj, im going to try working on a standup fighter and see how it goes

And no, you do not want to get your main stats and fill up the other ones. seeing as it's faster to get a stat from useless->strong than strong->wonderful, maxing out a few stats and then working the rest is way more economical.

ive always focused on the ground game with my fighters, with most of them having competent or higher subs and about the same in bjj, im going to try working on a standup fighter and see how it goes

I would strongly suggest starting a fighter with either Punches, Strike Def and Td Def at 110.This will be your best chance of being successful.

so your saying that should start him with a balanced skill set, but with boxing and bjj as the high points, then train those up along with those main two

Well if it was me I wouldn't go for that kind of build, there is no easy or quick way to do it.

Your best bet would be to make him an 18 year old and put 110 into either Boxing or BJJ and then the other 10 odd points you get into whatever really. You'll then need to work on physicals and either Boxing or BJJ depending on what you gave him. Then after that as I mentioned you'll need to greatly improve your wrestling as otherwise you won't see the full advantage of being good on the ground and standing as you won't be able to dictate where the fight takes places.

Basically let's say you're a Strong Boxing/Purple Belt. If you don't have good wrestling then what happens when you come up against a Brown Belt or Black Belt that you can't stop from taking you down. Then vice versa what happens when you come up against a Wonderful Boxer who you can't take down due to your lack of Wrestling to take advantage of your ground game.

Let's also not forget about the clinch, at least from a defensive point of view which is another reason to need wrestling and clinchwork.

Muay Thai would be the last thing you'd train but you need to get at least some points there eventually to be good at defending strikes, especially against good MT guys.

In short if you want a succesful guy standing up and on the ground then you can probably afford not to train kicks, elbows, knees and possibly GnP, everything else needs to be at a high level.

If you're simply making a sprawl and brawler you don't need any of the above nor do you need Takedown Offence, Submissions or as high a Defensive Grapple. Basically there is less to train meaning although you have a smaller skillset they are at a much higher level.

Well if it was me I wouldn't go for that kind of build, there is no easy or quick way to do it.

Your best bet would be to make him an 18 year old and put 110 into either Boxing or BJJ and then the other 10 odd points you get into whatever really. You'll then need to work on physicals and either Boxing or BJJ depending on what you gave him. Then after that as I mentioned you'll need to greatly improve your wrestling as otherwise you won't see the full advantage of being good on the ground and standing as you won't be able to dictate where the fight takes places.

Basically let's say you're a Strong Boxing/Purple Belt. If you don't have good wrestling then what happens when you come up against a Brown Belt or Black Belt that you can't stop from taking you down. Then vice versa what happens when you come up against a Wonderful Boxer who you can't take down due to your lack of Wrestling to take advantage of your ground game.

Let's also not forget about the clinch, at least from a defensive point of view which is another reason to need wrestling and clinchwork.

Muay Thai would be the last thing you'd train but you need to get at least some points there eventually to be good at defending strikes, especially against good MT guys.

In short if you want a succesful guy standing up and on the ground then you can probably afford not to train kicks, elbows, knees and possibly GnP, everything else needs to be at a high level.

If you're simply making a sprawl and brawler you don't need any of the above nor do you need Takedown Offence, Submissions or as high a Defensive Grapple. Basically there is less to train meaning although you have a smaller skillset they are at a much higher level.

so start him with high or low conditioning

• 1 month later...

I want to build a fighter for a tournament, it's a K-1 tourney so just have to decide between MT or boxing. But the fighter has to be a 18yr and will have 2 months before the tourney start. What would be the best way to set and train his physicals and primaries in that given time. Would it pay to max his conditioning and put him in a CT gym.

Any advice.

I want to build a fighter for a tournament, it's a K-1 tourney so just have to decide between MT or boxing. But the fighter has to be a 18yr and will have 2 months before the tourney start. What would be the best way to set and train his physicals and primaries in that given time. Would it pay to max his conditioning and put him in a CT gym.

Any advice.

The real advantage here is that you don't have to worry about wrestling (or BJJ) in this event so that gives you 3 sets of 110 to put between 6 secondary attributes and 1 selection of 110 for the primary. The two I would think are a must are clinch and strike defence as both of those will give you a chance even whatever type of build you are up against. Then it is about your preferences of attacking style. Choose the primary to compliment the attacking primary. (Boxing/punches, all the others MT)

Then as long as you can afford a 3/4 or less a week CT then set your fighter up to do CT's for the full 2 months (so start with 110 conditioning), your fighter should be at least wonderful by the point you get to the start of the tournament and be very dangerous.

It is underway but I am not done nor am I completely happy with it thus far. I won't publish it until I am 100% satisfied that I did the best job I could do.

I am breaking it down by primaries since the only logical way to make a fighter today is to max out one primary. This way, I can give advice for the best way to build a boxer, MT guy, etc. It will be fairly long and detailed. Moreso than this one was.

• 5 weeks later...

Any update yet on the new guide? I throughly enjoyed the last one, and totally looking forward too your next installment. If it's not ready, do you have any idea of a time frame in mind? Thanks bro.

Oh, Mike, Your guide is soooo dreamy. I'm a new manager and have to say how amazingly sensual this topic is. Thank you for making my life.... I am new better believe it, I have a white belt!

• 1 month later...

Any word on a update yet? I have been checking in everyday for your extended version, of your already awesome fighter creation guide. Could you possibly give some sort of time-table for when it might be done? Thanks.

What about the Randy Couture type?

I have been relatively successful using my fighter as a clinch expert with a specialty in elbows but i'm not sure whether to up his boxing so that he can close the distance and punch inside or his MT so that his elbows are more effective.

What about the Randy Couture type?

I have been relatively successful using my fighter as a clinch expert with a specialty in elbows but i'm not sure whether to up his boxing so that he can close the distance and punch inside or his MT so that his elbows are more effective.

Randy Couture's style would be extremely high level wrestling and clinch work with high level boxing for dirty boxing, and with clinchwork the more weapons you have the better off your will be, so train your punches up and then build up your MT to increase your effectiveness in the clinch, but the biggest key to the clinch is strength (as far as physicals are concerned)

An alternative will be wrestling, I have seen wrestler clinch-rape MT fighters and my starting with 110 clinchwork, 110 MT and 30+ wrestling, old time 22 years old has been clinch-rape by non-MT fighters a few times as well, so MT is a bit overrated is the goatly clinch stat IMO, but that's only my view.

• 2 months later...

Im starting a 18 years old fighter,and I need some suggestions.I want to make a Boxing/MT fighter,can anyone of you give me some advices on how should I put my stats?

Im aiming for :

- Boxing/MT

- Punches/knees/kicks/elbows

- Striking Defence

- Takedown Defence

- Grap Defence

Thanks.

• 7 months later...

erm.. Nate Diaz having shitty boxing and some BJJ sounds quite strange. I know it hardly matters but still.. the guy has insane boxing skills. I saw only 1-2 mistakes(if u can call them that way) he was doing in the Cerrone fight but he broke records that night with that "shitty" boxing so...

erm.. Nate Diaz having shitty boxing and some BJJ sounds quite strange. I know it hardly matters but still.. the guy has insane boxing skills. I saw only 1-2 mistakes(if u can call them that way) he was doing in the Cerrone fight but he broke records that night with that "shitty" boxing so...

technically speaking, nate/nick diaz does have shitty boxing. their technique is horrible but their physical gifts allow it to be effective. by game standards they probably have remarkable-wonderful boxing