How many people at the upper ranks refuse fights?

shockg

I'm of the mindset that I accept all fights. What about you guys?

I have refused maybe 3 fights ever, and it was early in my managing career and I felt I was being taken advantage of. Now that I've played the game more, I pretty much accept everything. I can't remember the last time that I've asked for a fight (other than a rematch or title) or denied a fight.

Org managers out there, especially more established ones. How many people bicker and pick fights? Or is it mostly up to you guys to figure out who wants who?

• Upvote 1

I have played since October of 2009, I have never declined a fight. I cant think of a time I have ever asked for a specific fight unless it was a rematch after a draw. I dont even look at the fight offers, when I log in and see one I just accept it. I dont care if it is a day away or a month, I accept and get ready.

(as an org owner) It's not very often that someone declines a fight in Aspire MMA, when they do it's generally a case of fatigue due to many recent fights and is rarely a case of something actively avoiding a fight but it has happened on rare occasion, personally I'm not offended by declined fight's, I'm generally able to offer alternative options at this point and if the worst comes to the worst and you end up having to part way's it's no longer the end of the world for me so I don't worry about it much.

(as a manager) I think I once declined a fight with a guy 100k ID below me that for some reason the idea of fighting upset me somewhat, I don't even recall who it was or what about it made me feel so distressed by the idea of potentially.... losing a fight in an MMA game, lol. I think once I started to really run Aspire MMA my view on it changed.

I used to think I was playing a game where the goal was to climb the rankings by winning all the time, but MMATycoon isn't that game for me anymore, I mean I'm doing alright for a guy who started in December at rank 55 but I'm mostly just telling story's at this point, and in any case it's MMA, half the point is someone loses and the other half is to test yourself against the best level of competition you personally can, so at this point I pretty much accept anything they send me, I have scouted an org before I join it and I made the decision on if I would fight everyone pretty much at that point, that's how I look at it now.

• Upvote 3

(as an org owner) It's not very often that someone declines a fight in Aspire MMA, when they do it's generally a case of fatigue due to many recent fights and is rarely a case of something actively avoiding a fight but it has happened on rare occasion, personally I'm not offended by declined fight's, I'm generally able to offer alternative options at this point and if the worst comes to the worst and you end up having to part way's it's no longer the end of the world for me so I don't worry about it much.

(as a manager) I think I once declined a fight with a guy 100k ID below me that for some reason the idea of fighting upset me somewhat, I don't even recall who it was or what about it made me feel so distressed by the idea of potentially.... losing a fight in an MMA game, lol. I think once I started to really run Aspire MMA my view on it changed.

I used to think I was playing a game where the goal was to climb the rankings by winning all the time, but MMATycoon isn't that game for me anymore, I mean I'm doing alright for a guy who started in December at rank 55 but I'm mostly just telling story's at this point, and in any case it's MMA, half the point is someone loses and the other half is to test yourself against the best level of competition you personally can, so at this point I pretty much accept anything they send me, I have scouted an org before I join it and I made the decision on if I would fight everyone pretty much at that point, that's how I look at it now.

I should sign a young gun with you some day I love having a huge gap it makes fights more fun for me?

There are managers that are very easy to work with and there are those, who don't deserve there to be orgs. Sometimes the ridiculous declines I receive make me throw the org business away. But also there are managers that take every fight and it is very impressive when you see a top10 manager who is taking every fight.

• Upvote 2

There are managers that are very easy to work with and there are those, who don't deserve there to be orgs. Sometimes the ridiculous declines I receive make me throw the org business away. But also there are managers that take every fight and it is very impressive when you see a top10 manager who is taking every fight.

Not top 10 but I kick arse I'm not picky

I'm of the mindset that I accept all fights. What about you guys?

I feel the same way. I like to think most org owners would feel that way about me. However there are occasionally moments and exceptions.

I literally just declined this fight:

Ekaku (8-1) vs San Pedro (0-2)

Numerous reasons, but if I decline a fight I'll explain why. This is my message:

"this guy is 0-2. if nobody else will take it, I guess I will... but it just doesn't really serve a purpose crushing this can lol. He should QFC and get some wins."

For the record, the org owner at FFA has been great to work with and does a really great job with the org. If I had to guess, I'd wager he's having a hard time finding this guy a fight and knows I'd be down for it if he really needs me.

I have played since October of 2009, I have never declined a fight. I cant think of a time I have ever asked for a specific fight unless it was a rematch after a draw. I dont even look at the fight offers, when I log in and see one I just accept it. I dont care if it is a day away or a month, I accept and get ready.

I've asked for plenty of fights, but factor in a logical analysis - like a mathematical logistical machine. I never ask for a fight that doesn't make any damn sense. I believe I usually come to the same conclusions that the org owner would. I occasionally target rival managers. I also seek to avenge losses. I don't always get it, I don't holdout if I don't get the fight I want, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't seek out rivalry fights and attempt to avenge losses. I'm MMATycoon's Conor McGregor, except I defend belts.

I.E. I signed Orlando Diggs to EVO because they had two Musketqueer fighters in his division. Yvenge Stolt (The Philosopher) and Chief Tappenhomma (G Wad). After Orlando pimp smacked Stolt, I used Orlando's rank and win streak to push for Tappenhomma. Little early in Orlando's career for that fight and he came up short, but shit happens. I'm definitely looking forward to earning a rematch in the future.

At the top level of the game I want my next fight booked as soon as my last fight is over or at least know who the potential opponent(s) will be. I like short notice fights but I also want to know who to prepare for and don't want to get put on the back burner and have a fighter sitting for a month or two for no reason. ID restricted orgs get leniency just because training is essential.

:thankyou:

• Upvote 2

I have only declined a handful of fights in my tycoon career. I'm sure that is probably a big reason why my historic record is as bad as it is (that and horrible slider settings).

Only reasons I have declined fights are my guy is still injured, needs more training time (for my younger guys finally making the jump to tougher competition) and mis-matched fight offers.

I take any fight that looks close to fair on the Scouting Report.

I've declined 3 fights, ever.

2 were pretty bad mismatches against younger opponents who would only grow the skill gap. A 25 year old only has a certain shelf life.

1 was against some dude who basically walked into an Org expecting a title match after farming quick fights... I later accepted out of fairness to the owner.

...Not that I'm a high level manager. Just saying.

To sum it up:

- I've had a dude rejecting a fight for his 25yo creation to fight an 18yo because "he wanted to train for 2-3 months". His fighter spent those months at Cozad gym;

- Another dude rejected a fight because "opponent had purple belt and his fighter had a blue one so he wouldn't be able to beat him on the ground". His fighter had at least 60-70 points wrestling advantage;

- Another one was a dude rejecting a fight for his 310k 18yo creation versus a 315k 25yo creation because "he didn't want to fight a 25yo build". Game was at about 317500 ID and his 18yo was very well developed;

- Another one(very high ranked manager) decided he wouldn't be able to decline a fair title defense, so it would be better to release his fighter with the fight offer unanswered.

But, as I said, there are also managers making it easy running an org - accepting every fight offer when it isn't nuts.

• Upvote 1

When I owned and managed NY Fight Nights, I hardly ever saw a manager decline a fight offer. I guess that is for a big part due to JLP who did the matchmaking for most of the time and did a great job.

As for when I owned Syn, that was a different story. There were a bit more 'elite' managers in there, but I wouldn't go that far as to say that they refused more often. It rather seemed as if they frequently had certain managers they preferred to fight because of rivalries, something I understood very well.

Two of the more bizarre declines that I have witnessed, without using any names:

1) Refusal to fight an opponent because his name had changed during his career.

2) Refusal to fight a manager because they had a rivalry with him.

I remember GWad, LT, Marky,Joe River... all being very easy managers to deal with when it came to fight offers.

There was a period not so long ago, maybe a few months, where 4 or 5 managers refused to fight me because they did not like me. Yeah, they all were buddies and shared the same opinion. That is all fine, but not when a belt is on the line. I still remember very well that they were asked to defend the belt against my guys if they became number one contenders and they said ' fine'. Then when that time came, 3 of them refused, one of them even multiple times. He declined in total 3 title defenses against my guys in 3 different elite orgs within one month time. Such things are really a shame and org owner should act faster when such things happen in my opinion. I'm glad to see that he is not really active anymore, apart from some KT fights.

Anyway, declined fight offers have always happened and will always happen I guess, at all levels. I actually used to decline fight offers too fast when I was rather new to the game, looking back at it now. As long as the fight now makes even just a tiny bit of sense, there isn't really a reason to decline a fight anymore I think. Win as many fights as possible and learn from the losses. It is a game anyway, not real life.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm not owner of an org but I do matchmaking contracts and some other stuff (might as well be owner lol) and I've seen a few rejects because of the Id difference sadly one was due to be a title match.

I have org owners permission to take action should it be deemed appropriate (action being stripped of the belt). In my eyes a champion should be willing to face anyone despite any potential difference as anything can happen at any time

Anyway on my end: I've never denied a fight and I even book my guy with some people higher Id than me so yea I'm open to any and all fights?

I take any fight I'm given usually. I don't remember the last time I declined one.

I have, on occasion, asked for an opponent. But those times have just been me calling out the champ, or wanting to fight the highest ranked guy (when I've been close to it too), so I could fight for the belt after that.

As long as there isn't a gigantic hype difference, i'll always accept the fight. In case of such a difference, I would ask the org owner if he really wanted me to take it and do what they want.

It's not really a big issue tbh.

Once a fighter is maxed out or close to it, there is no reason to decline a fight unless you're just outright ducking or there's a huge rank difference. But if you're in a good org you shouldn't have to worry about the rank difference anyway because they usually have good matchmaking.

• Upvote 2

I have to say that in general it is not totally uncommon to have top level managers reject fights, however i do not think it is unreasonable for them to do so, i have made mistakes in the past and any of these reasons is a acceptable reason to reject a fight:

#1 I booked the fighter on a date when they would still be injured or cut.
#2 I book them against their own fighter.
#3 I booked them against their friend or alliance mate and would rather avoid fighting (assuming they told me previously)
#4 I book them against someone they just fought and would rather not fight again so soon.
#5 I booked them earlier than 21 days from them previous fight and they still want to train (this is also depending on if they asked for longer times for training)
#6 I booked them against someone significantly lower in ranking.

#6 is somewhat debatable because some people ranked 500 consider someone being ranked 700 as significantly lower in rank, others are ok with 400-500 places difference.

• Upvote 1

Nothing wrong with refusing to fight if you have a valid reason imo.

- Fights against alliance team mates

- Big difference in hype (what's the point in risking the hype loss?)

- Big difference in skills (generally this happens early in fighters careers)

- Fighter will have injury when the next fight happens

- etc

• Upvote 1

Bjorn: I've had something similar happen where a guy declined a fight offer based on the fighter's name. I had to side bar the conversation and tell him "ok I get it, some of the names in this game are really stupid....but you can't seriously think turning down a fight is the right thing to do. Have you seen how many of them there are?!"

As for declined fights: Back when I started in Sept 2009 I did the whole "I decline nothing!" and got set up with some pretty bad match ups. As I learned more and eventually came back to the game I got a little more picky. I try to avoid lining myself up with too many high level managers at once because I want to focus on those fights the most (so I tend to have maybe 10 fights lined up but only 2-5 near each other). I've declined short notice fights that kept coming repeatedly from an org owner who thought that was the right thing to do I guess.

And when I came back to the game I was like ranked mid 200 range and I had org owners trying to give me fights against top 25 to top 10 managers. So I had to tell them to give me a chance to train and get my feet wet again :)

I feel the same way. I like to think most org owners would feel that way about me. However there are occasionally moments and exceptions.

I literally just declined this fight:

Ekaku (8-1) vs San Pedro (0-2)

Numerous reasons, but if I decline a fight I'll explain why. This is my message:

"this guy is 0-2. if nobody else will take it, I guess I will... but it just doesn't really serve a purpose crushing this can lol. He should QFC and get some wins."

For the record, the org owner at FFA has been great to work with and does a really great job with the org. If I had to guess, I'd wager he's having a hard time finding this guy a fight and knows I'd be down for it if he really needs me.

Terrible, if you want to test your fighter, head over to MMA Gladiators, ill give you some real competition.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1