Sucker Punch Pro Series (Unrestrained) Opens in Sydney

HareRumpler

Thanks guys. Hero read the interview and he apologised his translation,. He loved how it went and enjoyed his stay. He wanted to add that Zygmunt Krol's fists aren't like hammers, but his chin is like an anvil..... "amazing chin".

Hero also wanted to mention he has a lot of respect for Thoth, but likes the comradery and looks forward facing him with ruthless abandon. 

Superb work guys. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1622843228SPPS_Poster_64.png

POST EVENT CHEAP SHOTS

Sucker Punch Pro Series 64

Hey out there to all our Sucker Punch faithful, Hare Rumpler here as we’re about to bring you the breakdown of all the fights and action from SPPS 64.  Yep, it’s been the weekend plus a day since the fights went down but Nati Batti finally got around to doing her portion of the review and I just wasn’t going to let her weasel out of it this time around!  Ha!  I told her the fans are waiting, get on it girl!  So she finally did and was all ready to throw it in my and Donkey’s faces as soon as I got home from work today.  Figures.  Kid has clearly been raised improperly!

Anyways, SPPS 64 went down as what I believe is our highest rated event to date!  Despite that we’re not really pulling a profit as I keep pumping the $ right back into the new contracts for our boys doing the fighting, but frankly I’m more than happy to do that and making the dough was never the big goal here at Sucker Punch!  Having a blast, seeing a few dirty cheap shots and generally causing a ruckus, yep, that’s definitely what the big goal was!  And this event sure made that happen…all the way from the very first fight which ended in a Submission via Armbar (and got the “Sub of the Night” award, something Donkey will touch on more shortly!) to the end which saw Wanderson Machado successfully defend his recaptured belt in the Middleweight division!  There was plenty of action in between as we had only ONE decision on the night…so buckle up and get ready for one hell of a ride folks…

Let’s get a quick word about our sponsor and merchandise partner and then turn it over to Nati and Donkey!

1584375781SWN.jpg

Do you find that you’re resting your fighters too often? Two, three, maybe even 4 times a week sometimes?  If that’s the case, you’re probably not supplementing their training, and if you are I’m thinking you’re not doing it with Shadow Warrior Tea 160Q, which is Shadow Warrior Nutrition’s outstanding energy loss reduction supplement.  It’s the best money can buy and will keep your fighter in the gym training rather than sitting days out resting!  Stop on over there today, you will NOT be disappointed!

Now, let's get to it!

Undercard Bout #1: Middleweights

Bruno Souppe Defeats Van Der Veer Jr via Submission (Armbar)

To start off the night, we had Van der Veer Jr against Bruno Souppe in a middleweight match. For this fight, I chose Veer Jr to win simply because he had more experience with winning than Souppe did. However, Souppe surprised me and won via armbar submission 3 minutes and 44 seconds into the first round. I figured Veer Jr would win by submission, but I guess Souppe decided he would instead. There were a lot of sub attempts in this match, even though it was relatively short. I’m sure the crowd got sick of that, which is likely why the fight has a rating of 33%. Souppe went on the offensive for most of the fight, which paid off when he won. I’m sure him and his manager are quite happy with this one.

Donkey’s Takeaways:

I would like to start off by pointing out that I was right and Nati was wrong right from the start here!  I told her that she was going to get the majority of the Undercard wrong and that I had the upper hand this week but she insisted that that wasn’t going to be the case. Oh well, 1-0 for the Donkey man, that’s right, who’s the sucky one now kiddo?

Souppe got the win here and to be fair I did predict it would be via TKO.  On that, I was wrong, but on the concept that he was going to finally bring home his first professional win I was spot on!  Van Der Veer Jr. took this fight to the ground right from the bell, clearly thinking that was going to put him at the advantage.  What he and his manager continually fail to factor in is how much not having morale heading into a fight can hurt you!  That was the case here as he got the fight onto the mat only to immediately realize that Souppe was all over him, transitioning with ease and gaining the upper hand.  With little to no motivation to fight back, Souppe attempted only a single submission while Souppe more or less had his way.  The inevitable happened of course and Souppe was more than thrilled to get his arm raised!  We’ll next see Souppe step to the Pickle Puncher himself, Edward Mills, next month.  That should be a fun one to start out the card!

I mentioned that Hare had indicated that enough was enough with Van Der Veer Jr. coming in unprepared and he wouldn’t see another fight after this one.  Well, apparently Hare decided, “Nah, some guy out there would love to get what’s essentially a free win I’m sure!” and he held onto the dude for the final fight of his contract.  The lucky fella who gets a free win next month if Young Chin, Der Veer Jr’s manager, doesn’t bring his kid to the cage prepared?  Sirus Hall. 

Undercard Bout #2: Welterweights

Maximus Jr vs. Costune II

Marcus Megnus Maximus Jr Maximus Jr Defeats DJ Costune via TKO (Strikes)

Fight number 2 was a welterweight fight between Marcuys Megnus Maximus Jr Maximus Jr (I stand by the fact that this is a stupid name, I will not be changing my opinion on that. I do not care that he won.) and DJ Costune. This was a close match going in, which made it kind of hard to choose. So, when in doubt, I judged by names. Clearly, I don’t like Maximus Jr’s last name, so I chose against him. Unfortunately, it didn’t work out for me, and Maximus Jr won via TKO 3 minutes and 57 seconds into the second round. There were a lot of quick strikes and moves throughout this fight, but not a lot of clinches or sub attempts. It seems like the fans liked this fight, and Maximus Jr seemed excited to win one. Better luck next time, Costune.

Donkey’s Takeaways:

I do believe this makes me 2-0 vs. Nati’s 0-2 so far on the evening!  Hmmm…

Again, I was off on the call a bit as I predicted a submission from Maximus Jr. this time around but I’ll take the call for the winner!  Despite throwing less shots standing than Costune did Maximus was able to land as many or slightly more with a better strike percentage.  That was likely due to Costune’s insistence upon pushing heavily on the combinations, something he’s been known to do and which normally do end up missing more often than not.  The beginning of the end was when Maximus got the fight to the ground, however.  Once there, he landed shots at a perfect clip of nine for nine and did some serious damage with each bomb dropped!  I honestly think full turning point though was when Costune probably did something he shouldn’t have, which seemed to energize Maximus to turn it up and win the fight!

Maximus Jr is taking a breather. Costune says something to him but it's hard to make out. Perhaps he's telling him to get on with it and actually do something.

Things didn’t last long from there and Maximus soon had the TKO victory.  Now he’ll  head back to the gym after what will likely be a small break as he begins preparing for Kahdi Mandinos next month.  He and Kyle F will be looking to reproduce this performance which would tie two wins together and start moving things back in the right direction!

For Costune, he’s back to bouncing between wins and losses over the past four fights.  Which is a lot better than before than when he had five losses in a row!  At 26 years old he definitely needs to start capitalizing on his opportunities though or he’ll be looking back wondering what happened to a career that started out promising with four wins in five fights.  No time better than the present, so it’s time to get to the gym and prepare for Young Prodigy next month like it means everything!  And maybe it does?

Undercard Bout #3: Heavyweights

Devin Hill Defeats Lanuola Sefina via TKO (Knee and Punches)

Lanuola Sefina and Devin Hill fought in the third fight of the night, and the second fight ended by TKO. I’m on a losing streak for picks so far tonight, which Donkey told me I would be beforehand, which was kind of rude and pessimistic but ok. I chose Sefina to win this fight by TKO, but Hill won by TKO just short of 4 minutes into the first round instead. Once again I was right about the way of winning, but not about the winner. I think it’s pretty exciting that this TKO was from knees and punches, lots of action. Hill even cut Sefina towards the end of the fight, which was probably what did it for him. It took one more good knee to the head and then it was over and the ref called it. Better luck next time, Sefina.

Donkey’s Takeaways:

What’s this?  I’m 3-0 on the evening while Nati is…um…0-3?  Hmm…guess I know what’s up more than the whippersnapper after all eh? 

In the preview I mentioned that, “This is a tight contest with the only really significant advantage being Hill’s Muay Thai over Sefina’s skills in said area.  That statement turned out to be right on target as the standup between these two was pretty even.  But once the fight went into the clinch Hill clearly had the advantage and used  his elbows, knees and fists to work Sefina over pretty nastily.  Clearly that knee and then strike combo was just what he needed for the big finish, one that was a serious contender for ‘KO of the Night’.

Hill ends the run of losses before it can become a streak and has himself back on track here.  Next month we’ll see if he can continue to build on that success as we have him scheduled to face off with Banana Republic. 

Sefina finds himself in a bit of a predicament after this loss as Kyle F’s disappointment after guaranteeing a loss spilled over into a concern over Sefina’s chin.  That was enough of a concern for Sefina to lose his spot in the stable and end up on the free agent market following this fight!

Undercard Bout #4: Heavyweights

Herleifr Conchobhar Defeats Victor Ballsawash via KO (Punch)

Finally. My first correct pick of the night. Fight number 4 was a heavyweight fight between Herleifr Conchobhar and Victor Ballsawash, and Conchobhar took the win, as both I and Donkey predicted. Conchobhar ended this one relatively quickly with a punch that knocked Ballsawash out a minute and 14 seconds into the first round. Conchobhar decided to go on the offensive from the start and Ballsawash was forced to take a defensive stance to try to avoid all of Conchobhar’s strikes. And when Ballsawash tried to get some hits in, it didn’t really work out. So, in the end, Conchobhar fought better to win this fight and seemed very happy about it. I’m happy I gave him a chance this time.

Donkey’s Takeaways:

Nati may have finally gotten one right, but so did I and I roll along at 4-0 while she stands at 1-3!  You’re not catching me you little monster!

This was another fight that was under serious consideration for ‘KO of the Night’ honors on a card full of such options!  Lasting only a little more than a minute, Conchobhar took it to Ballsawash in this one as he prevented the quad takedown attempts and finished this one off without ever taking a strike in return!    What almost got him the ‘KO of the Night’ award though was the beauty of the uppercut that caught Ballsawash as he came ducking down…a perfect setup and a beautiful finish! 

Ballsawash bobbing and weaving nicely... He's ducked under a jab and ducks again but ooooooh! Conchobhar comes at him with an uppercut from hell! Ballsawash falls to the canvas, unconscious! This one is all over! Oh man, looking at the replay that was right on the button! Ballsawash was out before he hit the floor!

Conchobhar gets right back to winning after a slight misstep last month that saw him fall to Ashwin Tyson via a head kick KO!  Now he’s got three out of his last four in the win column and has only lost two of his nine fights under current management!  That’s impressive and certainly has the fans and management here at Sucker Punch taking notice!  He’s set himself up well to move into the top tier of fighters in this division and if he can focus and pull in another win next month over Thor Nordquist he could see all kinds of opportunities open up for him.

Ballsawash’s freefall has only been broken by the win last month over Brutus Ryker.  Outside that he’s got five losses in his last six fights and seems to be flailing in an attempt to find an answer to what has suddenly started to look like a very questionable chin.  Hare has indicated that he’s waiting for Andre Powell’s next fight to finish before potentially pairing these two up as it would be a great combo.  Ballsawash would have the training and registered ID advantage while Powell is a young up and comer who shows an impressive skillset at his age.  It’s a solid challenge for both fighters!

Undercard Bout #5: Heavyweights

Sam Cooper Defeats Patrick Murphy via TKO (Strikes)

The last fight on the undercard was Patrick Murphy and Sam Cooper in a heavyweight match. Last time I covered a fight with Murphy, he was fighting for a title that he really couldn’t win. He actually did pretty well in that fight so, come this fight, I figured he’d be able to win it since it should’ve been an easier competitor for him. However, he disappointed me and lost to Cooper almost 3 minutes into the third round by TKO.  He came so close to making it go to a decision and then failed. How disappointing. There was a lot of action throughout this fight, which you could probably tell since it was a TKO by strikes. There were also a lot of clinches and a couple takedowns that added to the excitement. In the end, Murphy just couldn’t handle the uppercut that Cooper sent his way and the ref called it. This was the third TKO of the night and we haven’t even reached the main card yet.

Donkey’s Takeaways:

Darn!  There goes my perfect record on the night as I drop to 4-1 while Nati goes to a paltry 1-4 with her picks!  I’m still the big time winner in this head to head battle though, just not a perfect one at this point!

This fight went deep into the third round and was all over the cage as these guys went at it in and out of the clinch and down on the mat.   If you could fight there, they did it!  Murphy, despite having shown some significant ground skills in previous fights was unable to capitalize on the ground opportunities this time out though.  Instead, Cooper showed us a thing or two for picking against him and got the better of Murphy in the clinch, eventually dictating the fight take place there for almost all three minutes of the third round before the finish!

A nice right hand lands inside from Cooper.  Murphy is rocked!  This is a great period of action - very entertaining stuff!

Cooper creates some distance for himself and unleashes a massive uppercut that sends Murphy's eyes rolling into the back of his head! Murphy drops to his knees and Cooper pours it on with more strikes until the referee steps in to end the bout!

Cian Coggins continues his trend of finding a way to guide new fighters to victory once they’ve joined his stable!  That’s actually a bit of an outlier considering a lot of managers need a fight or so to get acquainted with a newly added fighter.  Not so for this manager apparently!  This win over a quality opponent makes a big move in the right direction here and sets him up for a potentially bigger challenge next month!  We’re waiting to see how some of the fights already scheduled this week come out before deciding on that pairing though.

Murphy drops his second in a row here.  Granted the first was a loss to the champ that he has no reason to be embarrassed about as he handled himself really well there.  This was a tough fight that he took deep as well but he just seemed to be a tad off his game this time out.  Like Cooper, we’re waiting to see how some fights pan out before determining his next fight.

Main Card Bout #1: Featherweights

Destin Craven Defeats Tyson Thompson via Submission (Armbar)

The first fight on the main card was a featherweight fight between Destin Craven and Tyson Thompson. We are on fight 6 now and this is only the second fight of the night that I had correctly predicted the winner of. Quite sad. Craven took the win 3 minutes and 29 seconds into the first round by putting Thompson into submission with an armbar. There were a lot of submission attempts throughout this relatively short fight, so I imagine the fans got bored of it pretty quickly. It worked out for Craven when he finally succeeded, though. Craven seemed to have control of much of the fight, so it’s not really a surprise that he ended up winning. He sounded like a bit of a dummy in his post fight interview, though. His manager should probably consider working with him on his talking skills if he intends to keep winning and having interviews to do.

Donkey’s Takeaways:

Well, Nati and I both improve a bit here as we both picked Craven to win and he proved us correct.  I stand at 5-1 and she’s still a less than stellar 2-4! 

When this fight went to the ground just shy of a minute in it took a turn for the worse for Thompson who we figured would want to stand and strike.  Indeed, he appeared to be outmatched on the ground and Craven was able to start working on submissions immediately, taking only about two more minutes to find the answer and lock in the sub for the win!

The win gave Craven a newfound sense of confidence and he immediately proceeded to make the call for a fight with new arrival to Sucker Punch, Greg Connor.  That’s one hell of a ballsy call considering Connor could easily be considered an immediate Top Contender here in the Featherweight division as he had huge success over at his prior promotion and still stands as the reigning BBFC champ from its 355k days.  Now that it’s going to 360k, he’s moved over to SPPS and will get a chance to make an immediate mark…on Craven!  Or…perhaps Craven isn’t so crazy after all and is the one who does the mark making!  We’re going to find out in an explosive showdown next month!

Thompson takes his second loss in a row, but his first under current management and here at Sucker Punch.  I’m really very impressed by the fact that this kid has lost almost NO morale at all with the loss!  That’s highly impressive!  But now it’s about finding his way back to the days where he won six straight to start his career and we think that opportunity will likely be against the winner of Nagashima/Villarreal after their fight is complete!

Main Card Bout #2:  Light Heavyweights

Aleks Kuznetsov Defeats Devin Ecker via Unanimous Decision

The seventh fight of the night was a light heavyweight fight between Aleks Kuznetsov and Devin Ecker. I was right about this one, too, so I guess I am starting to get back on track now. I chose Kuznetsov to win by TKO. He did win, but he did it by decision instead which is slightly annoying because I said specifically in my preview that this fight wouldn’t be by decision but, of course, they had to go and prove me wrong. It doesn’t really matter though, because I was right about the fighter and that’s what really counts. Donkey thought it would be Kuznetsov by TKO, too, so I guess it wasn’t that terrible of a guess. Although Donkey does make some pretty stupid geusses sometimes. No offence. There was a little bit of excitement sprinkled throughout the fight but not a lot which is probably why it went all the way to a decision. I’d prefer if we did it wicked next time, please and thank you.

Donkey’s Takeaways:

Did that kid just have the nerve to call MY guesses stupid?!?  Seriously?  Last I checked, I’m the one who is 6-1 on the night so far, while she stands at a paltry 3-4!  But who’s counting, right?   Ha.  (I am!)

In the preview I mentioned that, “It’s fairly clear that he (Ecker) either tends to win via the KO or lose in the same manner.  Live and die by the sword as they say!  That said, given I picked Kuznetsov to win I did indeed think it would be via TKO, not a decision!  Instead this thing went a full three rounds to give the judges a chance to stick their noses into things.  The action was intense, with Ecker working for takedowns throughout and nailing four over the first two rounds.  He was intent upon working the GnP to the max once down there, but was only able to land about a third of his shots.  Not enough to put the big Kuznetsov away and with Kuznetsov getting the better of the standup with a diverse kickboxing attack he was able to make the call by the judges an easy one.

Overall a fantastic fight though that earned ‘Fight of the Night’ honors for the gutsy performance from both sides.  Kuznetsov will take this win and tack it on the prior two to make a nice three fight winning streak.  That’s a heck of a bounce back from the three fight losing streak he’d been on prior and he’s once again starting to look like the Top Contender and former champ that he’s previously been in this division!  Another win or so and we may be looking at a potential title shot again!

For Ecker the loss is disappointing after a quality effort that still ends up making it four of his last five in the loss column.  That can be discouraging.  Given the current state of availability in the division, or lack thereof, we may go looking outside the org for his next challenge!

Main Card Bout #3: Welterweights

Baldomir Barbosa Defeats Alex Steel Ii via KO (Punch)

For fight number 8, we had Baldomir Barbosa and Alex Steel li in a welterweight match. I chose Barbosa over Steel li, simply because Steel li doesn’t even look like a fighter. Barbosa didn’t disappoint me, like many others have tonight, and won 3 minutes and 38 seconds into the second round by knocking Steel li out with a punch. It was a brutal knockout, and the ref ended up cradling Steel li as he was put cold. After such a long fight, Barbosa was tired and a little out of it but he won and that's what matters. Barbosa’s knockout was awarded KO of the night. Good job, bud.

Donkey’s Takeaways:

Not that we’re keeping score or anything, but this one makes me 7-1 with my picks while Nati continues to flounder at 4-4, although she has made some significant improvement lately by pretty much just copying my picks!

Let’s get right to the important stuff though!  This fight won Barbosa ‘KO of the Night’ honors.  Now, there were quite a few explosive KO’s and TKO’s on this card. But I’m told that Mrs. Rumpler actually got involved in this one and chose it as the winner due to the finish…

Steel Ii walks right into a perfectly timed right hook and goes down hard! He's out cold! The ref cradles Steel Ii limp body while Barbosa jumps on to the cage and waves to the roaring crowd. Wow that was just a brutal knockout!

As Mrs. Rumpler put it, any fight that leaves your opponent being “cradled” by the ref while you celebrate has got to get you an award!  Heck, that even caught Nati’s attention above as well!  Well, ok, there ya go, an award for you Barbosa!  I hope you appreciate your status as a bully! Haha!

Barbosa had already rocked Steel li earlier in the fight, so admittedly this one felt like it was already on borrowed time at that point knowing Barbosa’s propensity to finish once he gets that advantage in the strikes going.  There’s a good chance he’ll see either Perkele or Matsuzaka after they finish their fight in about another week.  If he can focus and churn out another win over one of those two in July there’s a very good chance he’s going to find himself near the top of the division again and be on the fast track back to a potential title fight down the line!  But he’ll need to stay focused to make that happen.

Steel li let’s his manager, Kyle F, down after he guaranteed a win.  Granted, this was one tough call to arms against the firepower that “The Real Sportspower” brings to the cage.  With three losses over his past four fights Steel li is going to be doing some introspection and leaning on his team to help him find a way to bring things together for a winning approach.  That focus and the strategy they’ll come up with will be fully directed at trying to overcome John Fuller next month!

Co-Main Event:

Featured Light Heavyweight Bout

Eemeli Lampi Defeats John Fury via KO (Punch)

As we neared the end of the night, fight number 9 was a light heavyweight match between John Fury and Eemeli Lampi. Unfortunately, after much debate with myself, I chose Fury to win this fight by TKO. My mistake, as Lampi delivered the third knockout punch of the night only a minute and 34 seconds into the first round, in the fight right after Barbosa did the same thing. Must be contagious. This was also the second fastest fight of the night, following Conchobhar’s knockout of Ballsawash, which was also done with a punch. I think we can all say with confidence that the night has been very exciting so far. Lampi, like most of the fighters, thanked his fans after the fight. He should be pretty happy with this outcome as I’m sure many people had doubts about him going into this. I mean, I did.

Donkey’s Takeaways:

Another that was definitely considered for ‘KO of the Night’, Lampi decided to come out and prove both Nati and myself wrong here as he spat in the face of all the naysayers out there, and all the non-believers who thought that Fury would have the advantage striking on the feet.  Instead, Lampi comes out and makes short work of Fury, not only beating him at  his own game but denying Fury a title shot in the process! 

So this missed pick moves me to 7-2 on the evening while Nati moves back to sub-500 with a 4-5 record on the evening with her picks! 

As I just said, Lampi made a definitive statement with this fight and now has the attention of the fans, the management at SPPS and the entire Sucker Punch world!  He’s probably about one step away from having to be seriously reconsidered a Top Contender in this division despite a recent loss to John Doe in a title fight.  The loss to Jacob Parker didn’t help his case, but that fight also propelled Parker back to the title picture.  But a win where you not only defeat a big time striker at his own game, but force his manager to ditch him afterward out of frustration, is enough to get you a big time opportunity.  That opportunity comes in the form of a fight with Kuznetsov, one that will prove which of those two had the lead in seeking to get back to the top of the mountain!

For Fury, as I just mentioned he now finds himself without management after the loss.  Was that perhaps a bit of a kneejerk reaction given his success up to this point?  Perhaps, or perhaps his manager has had some concerns with his boy for some time and they were just too much to continue dealing with.  No doubt many managers out there who might want to continue on with guys here at Sucker Punch are looking over Fury right now, potentially flying him in for a look with their boys in multiple gyms around the world, and considering if he might just be the next big piece in their lineup…

Main Event:

Middleweight Championship Bout

Wanderson Machado Defeats Tanaka Matsuda via TKO (Strikes)

The final fight of the night is a fight for the middleweight title between Wanderson Machado (defending champion who also won the last time I wrote about him) and Tanaka Matsuda (the challenger).  I like to choose the underdog if I am in doubt, but unfortunately it didn't work out here. Sometimes it does though, so it was worth a try. Machado won by TKO a little over halfway through the second round. Matsuda just couldn’t take hit after hit from Machado, and eventually after what felt like a long match with many submission attempts and a mean overhand from Machado, Matsuda was down and the ref called the match. Machado remains the champion and will await his next challenger.

Donkey’s Takeaways:

Well, there we go folks…I finish out the evening 8-2 with my picks while…wait, what’s that?  Oh…did I just hear “4-6” for Nati?  Ouch…yeah, I’m such a horrible sort at making these picks while she’s a genius eh?  Ha.  Shut it kiddo! 

The Main Event featured Wanderson Machado defending his newly reclaimed title against challenger Tanaka Matsuda in a Middleweight Title Fight!  Lasting just over a round and a half, Machado cut Matsuda early to send a message.  Matsuda responded by getting the fight to the ground, something we saw as a ‘must do’ move for him in this fight against Machado.  Using a combination of ground and pound and submission attempts fairly successfully, minus the finish, Matsuda was only able to hold Machado down there for a while before Machado could escape back to the feet thanks to the bell and a new round!

Despite landing more strikes in standup, it was Machado’s powerful counters that were proving to be the damaging strikes and the beginning of the end came at two and a half minutes when he first rocked Matsuda, cutting him further…

Matsuda misses with a hook and Machado counters with a crisp right hand that drops Matsuda! Machado lets Matsuda back up to his feet, looking for a finish!  Matsuda is rocked!  That has opened up Tanaka Matsuda's cut even more.

…and then finishing him off less than a half minute later…

Machado throws a hook but Matsuda blocks it.  And Matsuda tries to counter it with a takedown but Machado pushes his down on his head and steps out.

Machado throws a monster overhand right that drops Matsuda! Machado follows up with more strikes from mount and the fight is all over!

With a successful defense of the belt once again under his…er, belt…Machado is now on top of the world in the Middleweight division.  The line in the sand has been drawn and he’s once again making the case that he is the ultimate test for anybody who thinks they’re ‘the one’ at Middleweight!  He now sits, watches and waits for the winner of McGuire/Kazuma to see who will be next to step to him in July!

Matsuda was on a heck of a run leading up to this shot and had absolutely earned it.  Now though, he’ll step back and try to figure out what changes and adjustments he needs to make to potentially topple the king if he can work his way back to the top again. Before he can do that, he’ll need to really bear down and focus as he has a tough challenge in Luka Marka awaiting him on July 10th!

So there we have it Sucker Punch fans!

An amazing night of action over the Bondi Outdoor Arena that started out our past weekend and got the Sucker Punch world in a frenzy after the highest rated SPPS event to date!  The action was intense, and will pick right back up again at the Bondi tomorrow night as we head into SPPS 65.  Hope you’ll be there with us or watching on the live stream folks!

Till then, have fun and don’t forget…

Keep it cheap and dirty…Sucker Punch Pro Series 355k+ style!

• Upvote 4

1623187102SPPS_Poster_65.png

SUCKER PUNCH PREVIEW

Sucker Punch Pro Series 65

Welcome back yet again for another little stop on the Sucker Punch tour folks!  We’ve got SPPS 65 coming at all our fans out there with a vengeance this evening over at the Bondi Outdoor Arena.  As always, I’m Hare Rumpler and I’m going to get things kicked off here before turning things over once again to Nati and Donkey as they look at each upcoming fight a bit more in depth!

No titles on the line this evening which means just a whole lotta crazy fun as twenty fighters head into the cage with a lot to prove…everything from being worthy of a spot in their manager’s stable long term to potentially setting themselves up for a title shot in the next month or two…and everything in between!  Some folks will rise further with their performances this go round, others will take a step back after hitting a bump in the road.  But one thing’s for certain, each guy will head into that cage with a desire to show our Sucker Punch fans their love of the fight and just how much heart they have!

So with that said, let’s get a quick word about our sponsor and merchandise partner and then turn it over to Nati and Donkey!

1584375781SWN.jpg

If you’re looking for the absolute best way to keep your fighters in the gym, training session to session and getting the absolute best gains possible, then you’re looking for our respected sponsor and partner, Shadow Warrior Nutrition!   Specifically, their premiere energy loss reduction supplement, Shadow Warrior Tea 160Q, is THE supplement that keeps your fighters dropping the bare minimum in energy after each training session!  What does that mean?  That means less sessions off to recover and get back above 90% energy.  That means they can max out their gains and potentially advance their skills faster than their competition. And that means you get the best results possible when it’s time for your boys to step into that cage and go to war!  Stop by their store today to get some for your kids, you won’t regret it.

Now, let's get to it!

Undercard Bout #1: Sparring Bout

Pedro Gomez (0-1-0) v Damian Taylor (0-0-0)

The first fight of the night will be a 1 round, 3 minute heavyweight fight between Pedro Gomez and Damian Taylor. While neither of these guys are actually heavyweights, for reasons I do not know we have labeled them as so anyways. Gomez has only fought 1 fight, and he lost. Taylor has never fought a fight. So I guess this will act as sort of a test fight for these two guys. It looks like Gomez is better than Taylor in just about every skill other than wrestling. Taylor’s boxing and muay tai skills are awful so unless he can somehow get Gomez on the ground, this fight may be over pretty quick. I think Gomez will win this one, most likely by decision just because of how short the fight will be.

Donkey’s Pick: Gomez via Unanimous Decision

I don’t typically make picks for Sparring Bouts where a manager or managers are testing their fighters to see if they’re worthy of a long term place with their team.  In this case I think it’s fair to say that Gomez is coming in as the prohibitive favorite!  P J Jones clearly intends to find out what Taylor has under the covers, and not just that, to see how he handles a loss.  Does he go sulking around afterward, no morale and confidence in the dumps or does he bounce out of the cage determined to work harder and come back stronger?!?  Those are the big questions, in addition to eliminating any chances that the dude is going to spend more time gardening or mulling over comics rather than working on his craft in the gym!

Undercard Bout #2: Lightweights

Venali Paetmar (4-7-0) v Seven Of Five (0-1-0)

Fight number 2 will go back to a normal 3 round lightweight fight between Venali Paetmar and Seven of Five. These two match up decently skillswise, but Five seems to be lacking morale which will most likely lose him this fight. Not to mention, Five has very little fighting experience, having only fought one fight in his career here and lost it. With the crowd cheering for him, as he seems to be the fan favorite, I think Paetmar will win pretty quickly. It’s hard to tell how he will win, seeing as he has only won 4 of his 11 fights. So, with very little to go on here, I will say he will win by submission, just because of his good BJJ skills.

Donkey’s Pick: Paetmar via TKO (Strikes)

Without a doubt Seven Of Five has been sent into this fight at a distinct disadvantage as manager Dale Saw clearly has not taken the time to give this kid some new clothes.  That would have helped the kid get his spirits back up in between fights and raise that morale.  Instead, he comes in with morale at only about 40% and that’s going to mean a significant disadvantage in this fight.  With sensational boxing alongside remarkable Muay Thai and wrestling it’s clear he’d probably want to stand and strike.

Paetmar is unlikely to cooperate this evening and will most likely attempt to take this fight to the ground.  From there there’s a good chance he tries to work the ground and pound, although with a purple belt and decent wrestling he may even try a few submissions on for size as well. He does have a submission victory from early in his career, so it’s not out of the question.  He’ll probably have a decent chance of succeeding in getting this thing to the mat as well given Of Five’s lack of morale which will make imposing his will and taking advantage of Five’s lack of desire to even be in the fight easier.

Jeppe Bjoergen (5-7-0) v Brutus Ryker (3-6-0)

Fight number 3 will be a heavyweight fight between Jeppe Bjoegen and Brutus Ryker. It looks like for this fight, Bjoegen has the advantage across all 4 fighting skills. Bjoegen has lost 4 of his last 5 fights and Ryker has lost 3 of his last 5. Bjoegen has more experience than Ryker does, and has a better percentage of wins at about 42% opposed to Ryker’s 33%. Bjoegen also has a tiny bit more energy than Ryker. So, for all of those reasons, I’m going to choose Bjoegen for this fight. I think no matter which one of them wins, it will be by TKO. Both of them have made a habit of winning that way, so I wouldn’t be surprised if that happens here.    

Donkey’s Pick: Bjoergen via Submission (Armbar)

Ryker specifically asked for this fight despite being a bit outskilled, at least on paper.  Clearly he and his manager see something they like though and it’ll be intriguing to see if he truly can exploit an aspect of Bjoergen’s game tonight or if he’s bitten off more than he can chew!  Ryker does have two head kick KO’s to his name and if I had to guess he’s going to try to take Bjoergen’s head off before any other factors can come into play in there this evening. 

Bjoergen could go about this a number of ways given his all-around skill advantage, but given Ryker’s tendency to use some dangerous kicks, as well as Ryker only possessing a white belt in Jiu Jitsu, there’s a good chance Bjoergen tries to get this on the ground and exploit Ryker’s lack of skill in that area.  Don’t be surprised if Bjoergen lands the takedown early and puts this away via submission before the first round is out.  If he can’t…he better watch out for the feet!

Undercard Bout #4: Featherweights

Jihadi Joseph (4-1-0) v Wietse Dellemans (2-1-0)

The fourth fight of the night will be a nice slap fight between two featherweight boys, Jihadi Joseph and Wietse Dellemans. This fight is pretty evenly matched, neither of them really stand out in any specific skill, but Dellemans got Joseph by a little bit in muay tai. Joseph has won 4 of his last, and only, 5 fights. Dellemans, on the other hand, has only fought 3 fights so far, but he won 2 of them. Dellemans has slightly less energy, and Joseph has more popularity and hype then Dellemans. So, I think Joseph will take this one but I think it will be close and it will probably come down to a decision.

Donkey’s Pick: Joseph via Strikes (TKO)

Both kids come into this Featherweight matchup this evening ready to go, minus just a tad bit of energy on Joseph’s part.  It shouldn’t hurt.  At least not much.  These two are closely matched in skill with Joseph having a small edge in wrestling while Dellemans has a bit more in Muay Thai.  Overall this fight should come down to secondary skills and who has the better game plan though.

With solid skills across the board but definitely with a focus on his standup we should expect Dellemans to try to keep this fight on the feet.  I wouldn’t be surprised if Joseph says he’s perfectly fine with that and this turns into a contest of who can throw down the best as they face off.  Joseph has been known to switch between a heavy focus on the clinch in one fight and then going heavy with his boxing in the next.  With Dellemans technically having the advantage in the clinch, you’d think Joseph might go with the boxing tonight but he could surprise!

Undercard Bout #5: Featherweights

Luke Skywalker (7-6-1) v BJ Barrett (1-2-0)

For the final fight of the undercard, we have another featherweight fight, this time between Luke Skywalker (a wannabe Jedi) and BJ Barrett. It looks like Skywalker has Barrett in boxing and wrestling, but Barerett has Skywalker in muay tai and they are pretty much even in BJJ, they’re both purple belts. It looks like the fans like Skywalker much better, which makes sense since he has been fighting a while, and Barrett has only fought 3 fights, and lost two of them. Going off just experience, I think Skywalker will take this one. He doesn’t really have one set way of winning, but he has won the most by decision so I’ll just assume he is going to win by decision this time, too.   

Donkey’s Pick: Skywalker via TKO (Strikes)

Similar to the last fight these two Featherweights head into the cage this evening ready to go, minus a small amount of morale for Barrett.  Probably not enough to factor in, but certainly not ideal.  Skywalker will have the advantage both boxing and wrestling this evening while Barrett is the better Muay Thai artist.  Both have purple belts in Jiu Jitsu.

It’s very strange that all three of Barrett’s fights so far in his pro career have been QFC fights against Anton Jackson.  And each only about 4-6 days apart back in early May.  You have to wonder if these two managers coordinated that on purpose?  Jackson took the first two from Barrett before Barrett was able to take one back with a submission victory in their third meeting.  With proficient wrestling and a purple belt, he could pull that off again tonight but it’s highly unlikely with Skywalker’s sensational wrestling.  Instead, you’d expect Barrett to perhaps try to work the clinch this evening. 

Skywalker will be perhaps be a bit more than the relatively inexperienced Barrett can handle.  Skywalker is highly experienced despite coming in at about the same skill level and age.  Barrett’s limited exposure to different opponents may leave him not quite sure which of his skills he can utilize best against Skywalker who may very well decide to cooperate with letting the fight go to the ground.  But with the intention of ground and pounding the hell out of his opponent!

Carlos Villarreal (11-7-0) v Kaoru Nagashima (6-7-0)

The first fight of the main card will be a featherweight fight (again) between Carlos Villareal and Kaoru Nagashima. This should be another good fight, with Nagashima excelling in BJJ and Villareal excelling in muay tai. Villareal is a very experienced fighter, having fought 18 fights in his career and winning 11 of them. Nagashima is decently experienced too, having fought 13 fights but only winning 6 of them. Villareal is down a little in morale, so I think I’m going to give Nagashima the benefit of the doubt here and say he will win. It’s a long shot but it’s possible so I’ll just be hopeful. I think he will win by submission, since he has won ⅔ of his wins that way.

Donkey’s Pick: Villarreal via TKO (Strikes)

Nagashima, ole crazy eyes himself, was having a hell of a rough go for a bit there back late 2020 and to start the new year.  However, in the past four months he’s turned it on with three wins over four fights and comes into this bout tonight on a two fight win streak. 

Villarreal was on a tear prior to coming to Sucker Punch with a four fight winning streak of his own but has struggled to adjust to the change of scenery with losses to Sitsongrit and Baptiste.  That said, those are two of the toughest in the division and when given a chance to back off just slightly he was able to overcome Casey for a decision last month.

Villarreal is a striker who will either attempt the KO finish or try to win the fight via points by going the distance.  He has fallen to a submission in the past and he can expect Nagashima to try to take advantage of that this evening.  If the fight goes to the ground, Nagashima gets the edge.  Otherwise, the nod likely goes to Villarreal as Nagashima has shown a tendency to fall to (T)KO’s in the past.  This should be a highly entertaining battle this evening to open up the Main Card!

Main Card Bout #2:  Heavyweights

Hero Shima (4-3-0) v Ultima Kekkonen (3-3-0)

Fight number 7 will be a heavyweight fight between Hero Shima and Ultima Kekkonen. This will be a pretty close match in all skills except BJJ, which Shima is better at. Both of these guys have similar experience and similar records, so this is kind of a hard one to guess on. While Shima has slightly less energy, it’s not really that much and I’m not going to judge on that. Shima seems to be slightly more popular among fans, so I think I’ll go with the fans’ opinion and choose Shima here. I think it’s going to be really close though and will most likely go to a decision.

Donkey’s Pick: Shima via Submission (Armbar)

Kekkonen and Shima come into this fight extremely evenly matched with the exception of Shima’s brown belt in Jiu Jitsu over Kekkonen’s purple.  Shima had a pre-fight interview with Alexei Smirnov in the days leading up to this fight and seemed confident, yet excited, for this challenge.  A highly entertaining piece, we got a look inside the mind…albeit with some lost in translation craziness…of the man who seems willing to win in any way necessary.  There’s a lot on the line here for Shima as he could earn a title shot against Chontamenti with a win tonight!

Kekkonen is usually fairly straightforward in his approach and willingness to take advantage of his exceptional boxing and Muay Thai, although his preference is clearly to get back out of the clinch to kickbox.  He’ll offer up a mixture of offense but certainly seems to favor a heavy dose of head shots.  While Kekkonen tends to win via TKO he’s also shown in his most recent fight against Devin Hill that he can go the distance and impress the judges if needed.

Main Card Bout #3: Light Heavyweights

Mike Bard (7-5-0) v Dolph Lindgren (7-5-0)

The eighth fight of the night will be a light heavyweight match between Mike Bard and Dolph Lindgren. This is a really even match skillswise and their records are identical at 7-5. They even have the same amount of wins by TKO. How bizarre. The fans seem to like Bard slightly better for this match, but the stats look to tip slightly in favor of Lingren all around. Lindgren is just as good or slightly better in all 4 skills, and is also slightly taller and heavier than Bard is. I think this will be a really close fight, but I’m going to choose Lindgren to win by TKO. I think no matter which one of them wins it will still be by TKO. I wouldn’t be surprised if they get to the third round before it happens though.

Donkey’s Pick: Bard via TKO (Strikes)

Our third fight on the Main Card and last before the two Main Events sees closely matched Light Heavyweights Dolph Lindgren and Mike Bard step into the cage against one another.  Lindgren will have a slight edge in boxing, Muay Thai and wrestling while Bard has the advantage of having been training a bit longer than Lindgren.  That could mean an advantage in secondary skills and physicals.  Both fighters sport 7-5 records and both would like to come out with an ‘8’ in that win column after tonight!

Lindgren loves to strike and especially loves to bop his opponent in the ole melon!  He’s had a rough go of it over his past four fights, only winning one over Titus Fury three fights back so he’s really looking to start a big turnaround tonight to get things back on track.

Bard has no issue whatsoever standing and striking, also preferring to knock a noggin or two, but given the chance he’ll move to finish things on the ground with brutal strikes after the softening up phase on the feet.  Don’t be surprised if this fight lands on the mat if Lindgren can’t prevent the takedown!

Co-Main Event:

Featured Lightweight Bout

Guy River (6-3-0) v Bobolo Jubbly (7-6-0)

Fight number 9 will be a lightweight match between Guy River and Bobolo Jubbly. Just looking at the names, which I haven’t really done in a while, I would choose Jubbly. What a fun name. Bobola Jubbly. Much more interesting than Guy. How boring. What kind of monster even names a child Guy. Like could you be less creative? Anyways, this fight looks like it could be all over the place. I’ve never seen such extreme differences in skills, and yet their records are similar to one another. The only thing they share in common is wrestling skill, which they are pretty close in. Everything else seems to be strongly one way or the other.  Jubbly is much better at BJJ, which he has a black belt in, and River is better in boxing and muay tai. Not necessarily because he is super good at them, but rather because Jubbly really really sucks at them. You know what? I don’t care. I'm still going to go with Jubbly because I like his name better. He will likely win by submission.

Donkey’s Pick: River via TKO (Strikes)

With a win tonight in the Co-Main Event, Guy River could secure himself a second title shot against Frankie Logan for the Lightweight Championship!  That’s with a win tonight.  First he needs to step up to the challenge of Jubbly who will certainly test his ground game and give us a chance to see how River fares against that challenge.  He’s faced a strong ground fighter before in Furioto but that was back in the early fall of 2020.  He lost that battle via a guillotine but a lot could have changed in the time between then and now!  River’s been winning via decisions of late in his most recent two fights since the loss to Logan with a strong focus on his standup, both boxing and Muay Thai.

I really didn’t think that Jubbly would want to be seen as a stepping stone here, and I doubt that is the case, but his manager certainly isn’t doing him any favors as Jay Stanley has been MIA since May 19th.  That  means his fighter is likely unprepared with a focus specifically on this fight although there’s a high likelihood the approach wouldn’t have been changed a lot anyway.  However, Jubbly surprisingly is coming in with full energy and morale, which is amazing to me if I’m  honest.  With losses in his last two fights, he really needs this one as a turnaround…but again, the lack of attention may prevent him having his best go!

Main Event:

Featured Heavyweight Bout

Ashwin Tyson (7-2-0) v Andre Powell (7-4-0)

Fight number 10, and the final fight of the night, will be a heavyweight fight between Ashwin Tyson and Andre Powell. These two have the same number of wins at 7, but Powell has 2 more losses than Tyson does. Both of these guys have also won 3 of their last 5 fights. I think this will be a very close one, as they are both very good fighters. However, unless Powell can get Tyson on the ground, I think he may have a bit of trouble winning this one. So, since he has won all 7 of his fight by it, I think I will choose Tyson to win this fight by TKO.

Donkey’s Pick:  Powell via TKO (Strikes)

Our Main Event is going to see Tyson and Powell step into the cage with their eyes on moving up the ladder in the Heavyweight division in a big way.  Both are relatively lower skilled at this point than some of the folks who are technically ranked above, yet these two have quietly been putting on a show individually and making things happen in their careers!

Tyson is the considerably more “trained” fighter here having been working on his MMA skills and career considerably longer than the relatively much newer to MMA Powell. That said, he’s still a year younger than Powell and appears to have likely started his MMA training as a young 16 year old!  A huge boost potentially, but it’s hard to say what this kid’s underlying intangibles may be as he started his training with a huge amount of cardio, having a hell of a gas tank.  That covered up anything else we may have found.  He only has a white belt in Jiu Jitsu, so he definitely will not want this fight on the ground tonight and will be aiming for a finish on the feet!

Powell has a purple belt in Jiu Jitsu, technically the edge in that area this evening, but has never really had success or attempted to use the ground game for a win.  Instead, his last three fights have all been finishes via TKO or KO.  Being on a roll like that he’s definitely due for a step up and a challenge, which is why he’ll see what he can do against an older MMAT registered opponent this evening.  A win here would be huge as he’d be 4-0 in his most recent fights and proving that he has a ton of potential to keep marching towards the top of the division!

There we go folks, a ton of action on tap, not title fights, but a hell of a lot of fun no doubt regardless!  I’ll be over at the Bondi in just a few hours from now along with Hare and the rest of the crew, we hope to see you among the other crazy Sucker Punch fans as we get ready for some mid-week throw downs!  Let’s get it on!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, kfuhrer said:

Yeesh or not haha might be another fighter of mine on the chopping block

NORMALLY...I would say definitely not to give up on the guy Kyle!  But, as we discussed when he first onboarded with Sucker Punch, we knew that the HW division (and the Featherweight divisions) were two of the smaller populated, less flexible divisions in terms of matchmaking for guys who might come in with ID's over 362k or so.  As we discussed, Ryker was ok and up for the challenge, but at the same time I did insinuate that he'd potentially be better off for the short term developing with a specific 360k org, whether that be Cali or now BBFC, etc. 

Now, here's where I go back to my "normally" that I started this with.  I'd normally say don't give up, the guy has tons of potentially and could flip over to one of those other two orgs still even at this point and suddenly start killing it against equitable competition, as he's been fighting at a slight disadvantage with us.  BUT...that morale drop with his losses.  Is EXTREME.  He ends up with almost zero morale after a loss...which is really, really bad.  For that alone, I'd probably (nay, definitely) drop him. That lack of confidence is always going to put him behind the eight-ball in fights, he's going to need to stay ahead in the striking or getting the better of the fight and almost limits you to not being able to pull off a counter game at times.  I'd love to hear others' thoughts on this as well!

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Gator001 said:

no disrespect to anyone but seeing thoughts were encouraged getting Ko'd in half his mma fights (2-3) and 4 times in KT (1-4) is a bin job irrespective of morale. There is no reason to keep even if his morale was 90% after a loss

the ko frequency will get worse as well

Those are also extremely solid points.  While he did show KO Power in his tale of the tape in his first KT fight, which is nice to have, clearly he didn't pop a granite chin or what not.  And at this point it's safe to assume he's likely either got a very questionable chin, or lack of heart, or potentially both.

6 hours ago, HareRumpler said:

Those are also extremely solid points.  While he did show KO Power in his tale of the tape in his first KT fight, which is nice to have, clearly he didn't pop a granite chin or what not.  And at this point it's safe to assume he's likely either got a very questionable chin, or lack of heart, or potentially both.

I figured the 1-4 in KT was due to some mismanaging, he learns quickly but the moral drop and the chin is just brutal. I cant drop him for 26 days so might as well book him in another match Hare. At least with some of my weak link fighters e.g. Mr. Pickle he almost drops no moral on a loss and seems to be able to take some shots... He just a really slow learner.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

John Doe Pre-Fight Interview

Hey Sucker Punch fans, unfortunately Hare couldn’t write a preview today so I decided to post an interview so y’all have something to read! I’ll be interviewing current SP light heavyweight champ John Doe. First though I’ll give you a little fighter profile about him. John Doe started his MMA career under the management of Petro Farantini and won his first MMA fight via TKO. He was then released but was picked up by manager P J Jones who was impressed by his KO power. Doe then trained up and was signed by Sucker Punch and was booked for his first fight against Steven Jones. After picking up the win he proceeded to win his next three fights which set him up for a title fight against Jacob Parker. He won the fight in a close back and forth, taking the SP championship for himself. Now we are in the present day where Doe is still undefeated and about to have a rematch with Parker for the belt.

Mixed Martial Arts Fighter - John Doe

AS: Hey Mr. Doe glad you could be here today for this interview. Now before we talk about the future and you’re upcoming fight, tell me about how you got into MMA.

JD: (Write Up from John Doe’s Fighter Bio)“PJ came across JD outside of a hamburger joint in LA while there for a fight card. JD was living on the streets and became infamous when a bunch of teenagers attacked him and filmed it. Bum Fights 22 went viral after JD smacked the christ out of all the teenagers and shoved their iphones up their asses and left them in a dumpster. This was the last installment of Bum Fights. PJ doesnt know JD's history and John Doe aint telling. Sometimes its better not to know…”

AS: Hehe *laughs nervously* That's an interesting backstory to say least, having an Iphone up your ass would not be fun. Anyway, next tell me how you describe your style of MMA.

JD: It’s simple, I'm a brawler, street fighter.

AS: Well I can’t say I’m surprised to hear that especially after I heard your backstory. Let’s talk about your wins more specifically about your most recent win over Derwent Bolt. What do you think of that win?

JD: It was a different fight to what I was used to, no bottles, shivs or dumpster lids. No standing and banging until someone falls down. I had to train differently to how I had ever trained before for that one (not that I really train technique usually anyway I guess). We were not sure how it would go on the ground but I did know I was going to hurt him and if he could walk through that hurt it would be a win for me.

AS: You certainly pull your own on the ground and put Bolt in a world of hurt, it’s impressive to see a street fighter wrestle with the best. Now it’s finally time to talk about your rematch with Jacob Parker. What’s your thoughts on him?

JD: There are a few really dangerous KO artists in the Sucker Punch light heavyweight division and Parker seems to be the best of them. A former champ who I beat to get the belt. That was a fun fun fight, tough fight but fun.

AS: I agree it was a great fight to behold and I can’t wait to see the rematch. Why do you think you’ve had so much success over your career so far?

JD: No idea, I just fight, never really thought about winning or losing. From what I have seen in life everyone loses. I even have Born To Lose tattooed on my arm.

AS: Well that’s a pretty ironic tattoo to say the least. How did you end up fighting in Sucker Punch especially considering your non-pro MMA background?

JD: After training at Far Q MMA for a while I went along to watch one of my teammates Frankie fight and saw that this joint actually encouraged street fighting rather than protecting crotch sniffing college student rich boys who never saw the real world. I asked PJ if I could have a go so he talked to Hare who gave me a go.

AS: Sucker Punch is a perfect place for a fighter like yourself and now I can see why you’ve had so much success here. Let’s talk about your MMA fights again, who’s been your biggest challenge so far?

JD: Easy, Jacob Parker.

AS: That was the closest fight of your career so far. Back to you, would you say any MMA fighter in particular influenced your style?

JD: I don't know any stars but I met this Latrobe Arundel guy in LA a couple years back. Me and him got on well, which is unusual as I don't like people. 

AS: Damn wish I could meet P4P fighters on the street, instead all I do is write about them. Let’s talk about the future, if you do beat Parker is there anyone you want to face next?

JD: Not really, whoever is next I guess, PJ has talked about maybe a fight or two at MW but I don't care.

AS: Middleweight would be interesting although there are still some up and comers in the light heavyweight division. Finally, anything you want to say to the great fans of Sucker Punch?

JD: Hang on, I got a bit of paper here. " To all fans come and watch Sucker Punch and watch me and Parker beat the shit out of each other" Thank you 

I just want to give a special thanks to P J for helping me with this great interview and for Hare who pays me to do these interviews. Hope y’all enjoy reading these! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, TheBuster said:

John Doe Pre-Fight Interview

AS: Middleweight would be interesting although there are still some up and comers in the light heavyweight division. Finally, anything you want to say to the great fans of Sucker Punch?

JD: Hang on, I got a bit of paper here. " To all fans come and watch Sucker Punch and watch me and Parker beat the shit out of each other" Thank you 

Loved this thing!   But this bit right here cracked me up with the pulling the piece of paper out for that little statement!  HAHAHA!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Damn folks! Now you're just guilt trippin' me, I see how it is!  I fail to get a chance to do any preview/poster info for this latest event and you guys and gals go out there and turn it into a monster affair with some serious big finishes, great action, a surprise result or two that'll have fans talking...and what is probably our 2nd or 3rd best rating ever!  

Ok, I get it, I get it, I'm a slacker and you folks are pointing out what I'm missing.  I'll get on it peeps!  Anyways, haha, great job all, it was a hell of a card for SPPS 66, clearly, and you folks really took it to the house...the house being the Bondi in this case,  haha!  Can't wait to get a review out that hopefully helps offset the lack of a review some.  Great job all!

Hare

12w1.jpg

John Fury

I'm changing some things, making a new start in my career under a new management. I was so close once but this time I'm coming for the Sucker Punch title. My new manager Mac has been there before and knows what it takes so he was a natural choice to work with.

(Hi again, had to find a new fighter just to get back into this awesome org :))

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jjsquirrel said:

12w1.jpg

John Fury

I'm changing some things, making a new start in my career under a new management. I was so close once but this time I'm coming for the Sucker Punch title. My new manager Mac has been there before and knows what it takes so he was a natural choice to work with.

(Hi again, had to find a new fighter just to get back into this awesome org :))

Awesome to have you back Mac and really super excited to see where Fury goes from here!  

Machado vs. Kazuma will be interesting. Looks like he has a solid chin and enough KO power to down a granite chin. But I think Machado’s probably one of the best natural talents in the game when it comes to hiddens. We know from the ToTT that he’s got a better chin than Kazuma by a mile and his KO power is probably on par or higher than Kazuma’s, so the question is can Kazuma punch him enough before the fifth round without getting clattered a handful of times and going down like a sack of potatoes? Machado’s only lost by decision and one of those was pretty controversial to say the least.

1623187102SPPS_Poster_65.png

POST EVENT CHEAP SHOTS

Sucker Punch Pro Series 65

Hello Sucker Punch fans, Hare Rumpler here, and I know it’s been more than overdue for us to get some of these reviews out for you folks!  That said, without making too many excuses real life has just been flat out rough with big projects at work over the past couple weeks.  To be fair, this was not Nati’s fault this time around as she actually had her portion of the review done the very next day.  It’s just me who couldn’t get time to sit down and focus on this.  So enough of that…we’re catching up here after this one is now over nine days late!  The SPPS 66 review should come out either later tonight or tomorrow morning and at that point hopefully we’ll get back on track!

For now though, SPPS 65 delivered an evening of fun although the full event rating certainly wasn’t one of our higher ones in recent history.  Things kicked off with only one finish in the first five fights but then once we rolled into the Main Card we got FIVE TKO finishes in a row!  So there’s that, which is pretty awesome!

Since we’re already well over a week behind on this one I’m going to just swing right into a word from our sponsor and merchandise partner, then get into the meat of things here with Nati Bobatti and Donkey taking over!

1584375781SWN.jpg

If you’re looking for the absolute best way to keep your fighters in the gym, training session to session and getting the absolute best gains possible, then you’re looking for our respected sponsor and partner, Shadow Warrior Nutrition!   Specifically, their premiere energy loss reduction supplement, Shadow Warrior Tea 160Q, is THE supplement that keeps your fighters dropping the bare minimum in energy after each training session!  What does that mean?  That means less sessions off to recover and get back above 90% energy.  That means they can max out their gains and potentially advance their skills faster than their competition. And that means you get the best results possible when it’s time for your boys to step into that cage and go to war!  Stop by their store today to get some for your kids, you won’t regret it.

Now, let's get to it!

Pedro Gomez Defeats Damian Taylor via Unanimous Decision

The first of the night was a single round heavyweight fight between Pedro Gomez and Damian Taylor. It was only 3 minutes so, as predicted, nothing exciting happened and they fought through the entire round. I also predicted that Gomez would win, and he did, so I think I’m off to a pretty good start. Better than last time at least. There were a couple punches back and forth, but nothing particularly exciting. It essentially just ended up being a slap fight between two inexperienced boys. Really, what did we expect? A good KO in 3 minutes? Between two fighters with little to no fighting experience? I think not.

Donkey’s Takeaways:

Gomez had more experience coming into this fight and was pretty much guaranteed a win by manager PJ Jones as the real purpose to this fight was learning more about Taylor.  And good things were learned indeed!  Taylor has a granite chin it seems and also didn’t lose a ton of morale after taking the expected loss.  That’s fantastic and bodes well for PJ having added another future superstar potentially to his stable!

Venali Paetmar Defeats Seven Of Five via Unanimous Decision

Fight number 2 was a normal 3 round, 15 minute lightweight fight between Venali Paetmar and Seven of Five. I chose Paetmar to win this one, and I was right. However, he didn’t win it as quickly as I thought he would and it ended up lasting all 3 rounds and came down to a decision. It was a pretty good and well matched fight with a couple clinches and takedowns throughout the fight but nothing overly entertaining. There were no submission attempts, which was very disappointing. Especially since that’s how I chose Paetmar to win. It doesn’t matter though, because when it came down to the decision the judges unanimously chose Paetmar which makes me 2 for 2 so far tonight.

Donkey’s Takeaways:

A second fight that goes the distance and puts things in the hands of those nasty judges.  That’s never good for one guy as there will always be a disagreement over who won or lost in these cases.  Even if the rest of the world sees it differently.  Seven of Five came into this fight unprepared and unattended to by his manager and it showed.  His offense over three rounds was almost non-existent and he spent the majority of the time attempting takedowns that he had no motivation to do anything with and moving to the clinch.  Where again, he was motivated to do nothing more but try to drag the fight to the ground.  Ultimately, Paetmar was able to win this one walking away easily scoring the points he needed to sway the judges.

Paetmar has now won two in a row after losing five straight and some might wonder if he’s turning the corner!  Next month he’ll see Alex Martens, a somewhat newer fighter to Sucker Punch, and get his chance to turn this into a bonafide streak!  Of Five has failed to impress and with his manager doing a disappearing act of late, and his morale in the dumps, it’s highly likely we’ll be cutting him loose long before he gets a chance at another fight unless he comes back and accepts the fight offer on the table within the next day or two.  That’s unlikely, so we’ll probably be looking for a new opponent for Bobolo Jubbly.

Jeppe Bjoergen Defeats Brutus Ryker via TKO (Punches)

Fight number 3 was a heavyweight fight between Jeppe Bjoegen and Brutus Ryker. Once again, I am right. Bjoegen won a minute and 37 seconds into the first round by TKO. This was the fastest win of the entire night. I figured Bjoegen would have an easy enough time winning this one, there was just do way Ryker could win. In no aspect was Ryker better than Bjoegen going into this and it ended up showing during the fight. Ryker took hit after hit from Bjoegen and one brutal strike ended it for him. Better luck next time, Ryker.     

Donkey’s Takeaways:

Bjoergen manages to finish this one against the youngster Ryker in an impressive one minute and thirty-seven seconds of the first.  Once he got this fight into the clinch he was able to take over and fully control the action and really that was the end of this short story. 

Bjoergen is now 1-1 since joining Sucker Punch and earns ‘KO of the Night’ honors with this finish.  This finish is certainly something to build upon and we’re hoping to bring in somebody from the outside soon to match him up with.  For Ryker, word from his manager has it that he may be close to the end of his leash but has chosen to take on more fight before then.  Teixeira will be the next challenge up for him and we’ll see if Ryker can go out with a win!

Undercard Bout #4: Featherweights

Jihadi Joseph Defeats Wietse Dellemans via Unanimous Decision

The fourth fight of the night was a featherweight fight between Jihadi Joseph and Wietse Dellemans. This is the third fight of the night won by unanimous decision, and the judges went in favor of Joseph. I chose Joseph to win this fight by decision. So hey, I’m 4 for 4 now. A pretty solid start if you ask me. It was a pretty close fight through the entire thing, so it was hard to tell who was going to win in the end. However, Joseph had won both the first and second round, so most people could’ve taken a good guess who it would be. Either way it was a good fight and it’ll be interesting to see how these two do in their next fights.

Donkey’s Takeaways:

It turns out that this fight was more than just a good fight as Nati put it since it eventually won ‘Fight of the Night’ honors for its solid back and forth, quality action and competitiveness.  Despite not having a finish! 

Joseph makes it three in a row now and a total of five wins on the career with only a single loss.  He’s on a roll for sure and it’ll only be a matter of time before this kid develops enough that he might start eyeing the top of the division!  His next challenge is Herve Cabrera, who has been at the top, so certainly Joseph is well on his way and another quality win could have him right on the doorstep!

Dellemans comes up just short in his Sucker Punch debut, doubling down on losses from both at CMMA prior to joining SPPS and now this one.  He’s definitely going to want a win next month to prevent a three fight streak of L’s. Yellow Belt Casey will force him to bring his best takedown defense to the game or prove that he can handle rolling around a bit!

Undercard Bout #5: Featherweights

Luke Skywalker Defeats BJ Barrett via Unanimous Decision

For the final fight of the undercard, we had another featherweight fight, this time between Luke Skywalker and BJ Barrett. For this fight, I chose Skywalker to win by decision. I was, of course, right again. 100% accuracy halfway through the night is pretty good, if you ask me. Unfortunately, Donkey has all of the same picks as me so he is 5 for 5, too. That’s disappointing. This was the fourth fight of the night that has been won by unanimous decision, which makes this relatively boring compared to the last one I wrote about. This was a good fight with a bit of action but nothing special. Skywalker seemed quite happy with the win though, and I’m sure his manager was too. I’m sure this will keep him motivated for the fights to come.    

Donkey’s Takeaways:

Skywalker tacks another onto the first column of his record after falling just a bit short last month against Jihadi Joseph.  He's been on a lose it via Decision or win it via Decision streak now for entirety of 2021 and his six fights this year.  With three wins in his past four fights he’s definitely flirting with making big moves up the ladder and a win over Count Dankula next month would certainly solidify his claim to be ranked near the top! 

Barrett struggled in this fight finding it difficult to generate much offense over three rounds.  Perhaps it will take him a couple fights to get his bearings and adjust to the difference between QFC fights, which is all he’d fought prior to Sucker Punch, and what competition looks like at this level.  The next step in that adjustment period will be a date with Geroge Turner next month on July 14th.

Kaoru Nagashima Defeats Carlos Villarreal via TKO (Strikes)

The first fight of the main card was yet another featherweight fight between Carlos Villareal and Kaoru Nagashima. Three featherweight fights in a row is a bit much if you ask me, but ok. Nagashima beat Villareal 3 minutes and 56 seconds into the first round by TKO from strikes. I chose Nagashima to win this fight by submission. I was right about Nagashima but wrong about submission. Still, I’ve guessed all 6 winners right so far tonight so that’s something. Villareal actually went on the offensive from the start but it didn’t work out and Nagashima turned it around. At least Nagashima was humble about the win.

Donkey’s Takeaways:

This fight not only kicked us over into the Main Card action for the evening but also begins the streak of TKO finishes via Strikes the rest of the way out!  Yes, FIVE of those in a row folks!  So a bit of a spoiler there, sorry. 

Ole crazy eyes Nagashima pulls yet another one out here and makes it three wins in a row, all via TKO (Strikes).  He seems to have found his stride of late and it hasn’t mattered whether the opponent has been a standup fighter or ground specialist.  He’ll get a very real challenge next month against Tyson Thompson. A win there would very likely put one of these two into a position to face off against the winner of Dankula/Skywalker in an attempt to move the victor closer and closer to an eventual Top Contender battle or title shot potentially!

Aydan The Wandering Spirit had seen enough of the L’s coming his camp’s way from Villarreal and made the tough decision to part ways after this most recent loss.  It remains to be seen if he’ll potentially get another shot under new management or not.  We had tentatively paired him next with Kongsangchai but now we’ll be looking for a new challenge for Kong.

Main Card Bout #2:  Heavyweights

Hero Shima Defeats Ultima Kekkonen via TKO (Strikes)

Hehe. I’m right again. Fight number 7 has Hero Shima defeating Ultima Kekkonen 2 minutes and 56 seconds into the second round via TKO by strikes. Kekkonen was cut pretty quickly in the fight, and Shima made it worse a couple minutes later. There was a lot of good action in this fight, there was even a submission attempt in there, but in the end it didn’t really work out for Kekkonen and he ended up losing to Shima.

Donkey’s Takeaways:

This fight between Kekkonen and Shima was a Top Contender battle with a title shot on the line.  With the impressive finish in this one Shima not only earns his fifth win in six fights but a shot at the title next month against the one, the only, Thoth Chontamenti.  What becomes even more interesting there is that these two are both alliance mates of Hare’s in Yabai, and the good natured smack talk has already started to some degree over at Yabai headquarters!  It should be fun!

Kekkonen is likely disappointed with the loss but will undoubtedly learn and grow from it.  His entire career to date has been a back and forth between losses and wins every other fight so at some point (soon) he’s going to want to find his ‘zen place’ and consistency.  Perhaps that quest begins when he meets Sam Cooper next month?

Main Card Bout #3: Light Heavyweights

Mike Bard Defeats Dolph Lindgren via TKO (Strikes)

Aw, my first one wrong of the night. I guess getting the first 7 right is pretty solid though. Bard won this fight just short of the end of the final round by way of TKO. Unfortunately for me, I chose Lindgren to win this one by TKO. Right way of winning, wrong winner. That’s a bit disappointing but it’s ok. Lindgren tried his best though, and he almost made it to the end. But, like a quitter, he lost a couple seconds before the clock ran out. It was an exciting fight, though. Lots of submission attempts and a couple take downs. All around a good fight. Try harder next time, Lindgren.

Donkey’s Takeaways:

Our last fight before the two Main Events on the evening and Mike Bard proves me right in that he doesn’t mind standing and throwing hands, but certainly given the chance he’ll take it to the ground and work the mean and dirty down there! That’s exactly what he did in this one, ground and pounding his way to victory.  With four wins in a row including this win he’s now on a roll and potentially looking to make a run up to the very top of the ladder for Contendership!  He has a fairly tough fight with Lukasz Wieczorek next month on July 14th and if he can move past that one with another ‘W’ you have to imagine he and his team are going to be expecting title shot considerations!

Lindgren is on the opposite trend as he’s now dropped a trio of fights and four of his last five.  He likes to stand a throw although he hasn’t been opposed to working for a submission now and then as well.  He was working for that in this one when he found himself on the ground but it just wasn’t meant to be.  Next month, he’ll get to throw hands with John Fury who is now under new management.  Fury will likely have zero interest in the ground so we’ll have to see how that plays into Lindgren’s strategy!

Co-Main Event:

Guy River Defeats Bobolo Jubbly TKO (Strikes)

Fight number 9 was a lightweight match between Guy River and Bobolo Jubbly. I chose Jubbly here because he I oiled his name better but, unfortunately, he disappointed me. I had so much faith in Jubbly and he let me down by losing to River 14 seconds into the third round. An exciting fight, but it had a lot of submission attempts, which I imagine the crowd probably got bored of after a bit. It is one thing to have action in a fight, and a whole other to keep doing the same thing over and over until the crowd falls asleep. River cut Jubbly right after the start of the third round, and it looks like that pretty much did it for him. One more good hit, and it was over for Jubbly. Better luck next time Jubbly, maybe try not to lose to someone named Guy.

Donkey’s Takeaways:

Jubbly, who pretty much is an all or nothing submission and ground guy, was desperate to not only have this fight take place on the ground but to end it there.  The positive early in this fight was that he was able to get it to the ground early and often and work the submission game. The downside?  He was stringing together sub attempts like a chain smoker goes through cigs and yet he could not get River to fall into his naughty traps!  Finally, River had enough of the nonsense and when the third round began decided it was time to end “playtime on the carpet”, instead landing a nasty head kick right from the third bell, cutting Jubbly and knocking him on his ass.  He let him back up, but only to finish it moments later with a huge left and then some more strikes till the ref did his job.

With the win River accomplished two things.  First, he proved he could handle himself quite well on the ground against a submission and ground specialist, something we’d been waiting to see.  Second, he earned himself a shot back at the title again and will now get to spend the next month strategizing about how to unlock the puzzle that is Frankie Logan!

Jubbly drops his third in a row here and seems to be backsliding a bit of late. That may be because Jay Stanley has been around less and a bit less attentive than usual or it could be due to his one-dimensional approach starting to fall behind the development of other fighters.  He was going to see Seven of Five next month but we suspect his manager has gone AWOL so instead it may be Jameson or Aldo.  Given Jameson just faced Winston, another ground based fighter, this month it’s likely it will be Aldo.

Main Event:

Featured Heavyweight Bout

Ashwin Tyson Defeats Andre Powell via TKO (Strikes)

Fight number 10, the main and final fight of the night, was a heavyweight fight between Ashwin Tyson and Andre Powell. A chose Tyson for this one, and he won. So hey, that’s a great way to end the night. 8 for 10 on picks is pretty good in my personal opinion. A shame for Donkey, I think he might’ve gotten the first 9 right just to get the last one wrong, How disappointing for him. This was the fifth TKO by strikes in a row, every fight on the main card was won this way. How bizarre.  Tyson won a minute and 37 seconds into the first rounds, which ties it for the shortest fight of the night. I thought this fight would be much closer than that but hey, a quick fight is always a fun surprise. Plus, a great way to end the night.

Donkey’s Takeaways:

At only one minute and thirty-seven seconds in length it certainly didn’t take long…or many strikes for that matter…to determine a winner in our Main Event!  Powell landed two head strikes and Tyson the same as well as a body shot and a head kick.  After a furious attempt to get in and land some shots that failed to land for Powel we got this piece of action to end things…

Tyson rushes forward with a series of wild hooks but Powell moves out of range and avoids them all easily.  Ohhhhh! A huge head kick from Tyson! Powell is out on his feet! Tyson rushes in and throws more strikes. The ref is looking closely - Powell is covering up but the punishment is just too much and the ref steps in to stop the fight! Powell is staring into space, just thankful that the beatdown has ended. Brutal finish.

This one just about earned Tyson ‘KO of the Night’ honors but instead that went to a higher rated fight earlier in the evening that was very much needed to get the fans into a card that got less than stellar ratings overall.  That said, this was a fantastic finish by Tyson and he doubles down on his statement start here at Sucker Punch with two wins in a row at SPPS under Andreas Johansson’s management.  Next month this hard striker will look across the cage at another striker who’s been landing some heavy shots of late as he takes on Anton Meshkov!

Powell will undoubtedly be disappointed with the loss after being on a three fight winning streak. He’d taken out quality competition in Teixeira and Sefina in his most recent fights but runs into a speed bump here on his road to the top.  Victor Ballsawash will be the man who either makes it two L’s in a row for Powell or serves as a bounce back opponent who Powell can take his frustrations out on.  Which it will be…well, we’ll find out next month!

There we go folks, a “tad” bit behind schedule on this one but hey, I keep saying better late than never.  We’re doing our best to get back on schedule and hopefully we can do that by finishing up SPPS 66’s review tonight and tomorrow and then return to our normal schedule after that.  So be on the lookout for that next review and prepare for SPPS 67 which comes up this week on the 23rd!

• Upvote 2

POST EVENT CHEAP SHOTS

Sucker Punch Pro Series 66

Hello out there to all our Sucker Punch fans worldwide!  I’m Hare Rumpler and we’re finally about to get caught up a bit here after a bit of slacking on my part over the past couple weeks due to RL work.  Ah well, gotta make that dinero ya know?  Anyways, SPPS 66 took place this past Wednesday and it was, I believe, our highest rated event to date!  I’d have to actually go back and check through past events to ensure that’s the case, but I believe SPPS 64 or SPPS 63 was the highest prior to that in the 233 range.

It certainly helped that there was a title on the line in this one for the Light Heavyweight Championship here at Sucker Punch.  John Doe was once again defending against prior champion Jacob Parker who was on a mission to reclaim the belt.  I won’t give any spoilers here, you’ll have to go to that portion below if you want the final result there!

This card seemed to be running in triplets…first three submissions, then three (T)KO’s and then a trio of decisions before the Main Event.  A bit strange but hey, who am I to judge right?

Nati is refusing to step in for this one.  She states that since she wasn’t involved in doing a preview (nobody was, sorry) that she wasn’t doing the review because that makes it more difficult.  Bah, if you ask me, it’s just that she’s paid off her debt from the tech suit she wanted and is now being a brat!  So instead you get me and Donkey for the remainder.  We’re going to get a quick word in about our sponsor and merchandise partner here and move on to the good stuff…

1584375781SWN.jpg

Our fantastic and respected sponsor is Shadow Warrior Nutrition!   Many of you already know them as the providers of Shadow Warrior Tea 160Q, THE energy loss reduction supplements!  For those of you who aren’t in the know on that, you should be, because this is the way you keep your fighter training more often and not taking sessions off to try to keep his energy above 90%!  If you aren’t using this supplement, hurry over and check them out today, you will not be disappointed!

Now, let's get to it!

Undercard Bout #1: Featherweights

Yellow Belt Casey Defeats Akara Kongsangchai via Submission (Kimura)

This Featherweight contest to get things going just about went the distance and looked like it was going to end up in the hands of the judges until the last half minute of the third round!  Kongsangchai will regret that he wasn’t able to fend off Casey for another thirteen seconds as he had dominated the first two rounds with his striking.  The two were fairly even boxing but Kongsangchai was able to get it into the clinch repeatedly throughout and once there he was able to control the action and land shots.  Not a high percentage of them, but enough with Casey more focused on takedowns.

It was those takedowns that finally paid off though as Casey had this fight on the ground throughout most of the third round and was finally able to capitalize…

That's four minutes gone in the round.  Casey trying to control the action but Kongsangchai is working from the bottom.  Casey is in a dominant position here, looking for a kimura. Kongsangchai looks calm but he's in trouble here. Casey gets his leg over his opponent's head and yanks on the arm. Kongsangchai is tapping like a morse code operator on the titanic! SOS! SOS! Casey lets go of the hold and Kongsangchai can pop his arm back in its socket.

Donkey’s Takeaways:

Casey finally breaks free of the doldrums after losing four fights leading up to this contest with Kongsangchai.  But this was a good one and earned him ‘Sub of the Night’ honors for his finish.  Next month he’ll get an opportunity to see if he can make it two in a row and truly break out of his slump when he meets up with Wietse Dellemans in the cage.

Kongsangchai came within twenty seconds or less of finally snapping his horrendous losing streak but instead sees another ‘L’ added to his string of losses.  This one makes it seven in a row and ten of his last eleven fights.  Ouch.  Double Ouch.  Hell, just Ouuuuuuuuch!  He has one more fight with us on contract and unless his manager, Mattias Lundgren, comes to us and tells us he really wants to keep him fighting it’s likely this will be the end of his long run here at Sucker Punch as he may very much just need a change of scenery.  Or a new profession.

Repus Revorg Defeats Conor Aldo via Submission (Americana)

My own Repus Revorg, young as he is, stepped into the cage with Conor Aldo in what turned out to be a fantastic early Undercard fight to get the crowd pumped and ready for the rest of the card!  The fight only lasted just under four minutes into the first but there was plenty of action and excitement in those minutes.  If not for the title fight that turned into a heck of a battle and a fun one later in the evening this fight along with the one just prior to it could very well have vied for ‘Fight of the Night’ honors.  You have a love a card that opens like this one did!

I won’t sit here and lie to you folks.  A just past the minute mark Aldo landed a beauty of a head kick that put Revorg’s ass on the mat and rocked him to hell!  Needless to say (but I’m saying it anyways, so not really sure why I said that…) I thought that this fight was likely going to be over right there!  Instead, I’m very proud to say that Revorg showed some hella heart and bounced back, recovering his senses about 30 seconds later and even shocked us a little but cutting Aldo with a nice jab.

At just over three minutes in Revorg turned the tables and returned Aldo’s earlier offering, landing a huge overhand right that rocked Aldo and then used the opportunity to move into the clinch and then quickly to the ground with a takedown.  The ground is where Revorg figured he’d have a bit more of an advantage and he made good on that landing a nice Americana on his second submission move…

Revorg thinks about going for a far side armbar but bails out and retains the dominant position instead. 

Revorg has an Americana. Aldo didn't react quickly enough there and he's in big trouble now! He tries to squirm out but is forced to tap! Revorg is delighted and gyrates in front of the ring girls. They seem to like the attention - it'll be interesting to see if Revorg hooks up with any of them at the after show party.

Donkey’s Takeaways:

This one was definitely a fun one with four minutes of great back and forth action. Plenty of drama and a big finish.  The fans…hell, even we…can’t ask for much more.  With the win Revorg pulls himself together after back to back losses to Yip Man lii and Guy River.  Those were tough fights for somebody Revorg’s age and his relative lack of experience and it showed.  This was another tough one but perhaps we’re seeing a bit of growth from the kid here.  He’s not scheduled for his next fight yet but we’ll hope for more fireworks the next time out.

Conor Aldo spoke after the fight, saying 'I stormed in and put it all on the line. I took a shot and missed. I will never apologize for taking a shot. Shit happens.'  The man certainly gave it a great shot and looked to be seconds away from winning this thing so there’s nothing to be ashamed of there, other than perhaps questioning his lack of killer instinct at that moment.  At 23 years old he’s still plenty young and has time to continue his development but at the same time he will need to figure out how to capitalize on his skills in the cage as he’s lost four of his last five.  I’m being told that we’re targeting a battle with Bradley Brunswick Jr next for Aldo and that should be a great battle!

Undercard Bout #3: Lightweights

Piney Winston Defeats Jamal Jameson via Submission (Guillotine)

Another submission victory here in our second Lightweight battle of the evening.  And another that didn’t make it out of the first round although this one came awfully close with just fifteen seconds left to go before the bell!

Jameson actually chose to take this fight to the ground so he could work his patented ground and pound, including some nasty elbows, on Winston.  Unfortunately for Jameson, he may have forgotten that Winston is an exceptional Jiu Jitsu artist and can be extremely dangerous even from his back.  It almost worked for Jameson though as he was dishing out plenty of abuse to the tune of eleven of twelve attempted shots down there.  Winston was able to weather that storm though without getting rocked or finished and kept his composure enough to try out five submission attempts...the fifth of which was the money-maker…

Winston is looking to cinch up a triangle. Jameson throws the leg off to one side though and gets in tight to Winston's body to avoid the submission. Winston has instead reached around Jameson's neck and now has a guillotine! Oh, this is biiiig trouble! Winston arches his back and squeezes and forces the tap from his hapless opponent.

Donkey’s Takeaways:

A beautiful transition to the guillotine there for Winston and that right there just about earned him ‘Sub of the Night’ honors if it wasn’t for the overall match coming in a bit underrated by the fans.  Despite the win, his morale remains in the dumps though in part due to the absence of his manager for the past three weeks and the need for a clothing change.  I’m actually a bit surprised he won this fight given his morale situation.  I also have some concerns about whether he’ll be with us come next month if we don’t hear from  his manager soon, which would be a shame considering he’s fought his entire org career outside the QFC with Sucker Punch.  He’s also got three wins out of his last four fights, so he’s in position to make some moves up the ladder if his manager steps back into the light again.

Jameson finds the struggle to be more than he can deal with at the moment as he’s unable to best a low morale opponent and has now dropped three in a row and four of his last five.  His next appointment in the cage may see him match up with the youngster Trevor Barnes.  He’s going to need a spark of inspiration over the next month to get him mentally back in the game after this loss to an unprepared opponent.

Anton Meshkov Defeats Jairzinho Teixeira via KO (Punch)

Meshkov may have been cut early by Teixeira in this one but that didn’t stop Meshkov from making short work of this fight as it was over and out…literally…in under two minutes!

Meshkov returned the favor and drew blood as well shortly after the cross from Teixeira that drew first blood.  A sharp jab was all it took to leave his mark under Teixeira’s eye and let him know that this wasn’t going to be Teixeira’s night to just walk over an opponent!  Less than a minute later Meshkov sent the final message in the fight, leaving Teixeira to check with his corner to get the message relayed after the smelling salts kicked in…

Meshkov lunges in with a left hook that violently twists Teixeira head around and knocks him out cold! Meshkov hops onto the cage and yells out at the top of his lungs - Yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaah! They're showing the replay on the big screens now; that was nasty! I hope one of the photographers got a good shot of it.

With only three strikes landed in this one, Teixeira was never able to get his groove on before Meshkov turned off the lights.  Both Nati and Risa would probably say that Meshkov needs to settle down a bit though with that show up on top of the cage, but I say let it all out big boy, you earned it!

Donkey’s Takeaways:

Meshkov has got himself on a bit of a roll lately with two back to back victories and five out of the last six!  And he’s been rocking the KO’s throughout which makes it an exciting fight each and every time.  Even the one he lost was via TKO, so it’s a live and die by it situation apparently.  He gets a huge test next month as he will step to Ashwin Tyson who has come into SPPS with a bit of an edge himself.

Teixeira had gotten himself back on track with two wins in a row against Ballsawash and then Dalton Swas.  He, much like Meshkov, lives and dies by the (T)KO as well so he’s fallen victim to his fair share even before this fight as the two prior to Ballsawash were TKO losses to Porter and Powell. He’ll see another familiar style next month when he faces off against Brutus Ryker, the young kid who just hasn’t seemed to have the chin his manager Kyle F was hoping for and may be seeing his last fight.

Undercard Bout #5: Middleweights

Kiryu Kazuma Defeats Landon McGuire via KO (Punch)

Many folks out there might have called this one an upset…but if you ask Kiryu Kazuma’s camp they’d undoubtedly tell you that the only upset was people thinking that he wasn’t ready to make a statement and claim the Top Contender status as his own!  And that’s exactly what the kid did here, snatching the opportunity to go back and go after the title again from the former champ’s grasp and booking himself an appointment in July to go for the title!

McGuire was good but just not good enough in this one as Kazuma came out aggressive, first looking to get this to the ground but upon finding McGuire was prepared for that instead switching to an approach to beat McGuire at  his own standup game.  Kazuma used solid striking, especially head shots, and after impressive the judges and fans in the first round came out prepared to send a clear follow-up message in the second round!  He got McGuire with a huge right that sent him to the ground right from the bell and clearly rang McGuire’s bell in the process. 

With the message clearly made that Kazuma was not here to play games or be a stepping stone for McGuire he continued to bring the pressure, eventually ending it…

McGuire throws a leg kick which misses Kazuma's front leg but catches the back leg as Kazuma tries to avoid it.

Kazuma flashes McGuire a smile before throwing a beast of a right hand, straight down the pipe. McGuire's eyes follow the hand right onto his nose, taking in it's full glory... and then darkness. McGuire crumples to the floor! He's out cold! Kazuma punches the air and yells at the top of his lungs - yeeeeeeeeeeah!!!! This one is all over!

Donkey’s Takeaways:

With that win Kazuma earns himself a one on one party with Wanderson Machado next month with the belt on the line!  He’s worked hard for this opportunity as he’s defeated former champ Nyah Hirst in his run-up to this fight as well as other top tier competition in Filth and Harms.  He’s also proven he can handle the ground game, something he hadn’t shown earlier on when he lost via submission to both Beam and Yi, but since managed to defeate Harold Kerzner.  He brings explosive power and excitement to the cage, but so does Machado, so this will be an interesting camp for both and a great fight next month!

McGuire lost the belt to Machado last month in May and clearly hoped to come into this fight and win it to make his way back to the title picture for a rematch.  With two KO losses in a row some might now start to ask a question or two about McGuire’s chin.  There’s no doubt his name will be back in the title picture again sooner or later here, but clearly his camp will be disappointed that this loss will make it later than they’d hoped.  He’ll have an opportunity to take out his frustrations in a fight with Lester Karnage next month.

Main Card Bout #1: Welterweights

Keisuke Matsuzaka Defeats Ispa Perkele via TKO (Cut)

Another fight here that almost went the distance as we get into the Main Card action!  This was a fantastic battle between these two that was a serious contender for ‘Fight of the Night’.  Perkele dominated the first round and looked to be cruising pretty well in the second as well until the fifth minute of action when Matsuzaka sent a clear message that it wasn’t going to go down just like that!  Instead, Matsu caught Perkele on a counter with a nasty right that dropped Perkele and rocked him!  Worse, he made the cut that had already been dished out early in the fight and abused a couple times since look a hell of a lot worse with Perkele leaking what looked to be a quart or two of blood.

The third round came and Perkele continued to lay on the shots using a steady combination of fists and feet but Matsu’s counters were working effectively earning him some big shots on the flip side.  The cut continued to get worse for Perkele and with only twenty seconds to go in the round Matsu caught him on another counter right that sent him to the mat again and brought the doc in to have a look at the gash.  It was enough that the guy with the medical degree didn’t want to see more and this thing was all over via cuts! 

Donkey’s Takeaways:

Disappointing for Perkele I’m sure as he appeared to lead in points up till that point.  Matsuzaka will take this win though and feel he earned it regardless of the points as his counter approach was nasty and effective in this all out brawl!  With three wins in four fights since joining us here at Sucker Punch he’s making a heck of a name for himself and has worked himself into position to make a run for the title.  He’ll face Red Crow, former champ who lost the belt back to Christiano, in July for a chance to get that title shot.

Perkele has bounced back and forth between losses and wins since joining Sucker Punch earlier this year.  We’re waiting to see what options open up as most of our Welterweights are scheduled at this point but we’re thinking it may be Ortiz, if Alex Conors returns, or Mister Lee after their fight on July 3rd which should give Perkele some time to solidify anything he feels is off in the meantime.

Main Card Bout #2:  Middleweights

Jarna Kuiva Defeats Joseph DeAngelo via Decision (Unanimous)

Alright, as we get into the middle of the Main Card here we have a run of fights that made it into the hands of those nasty judges.  The first of those is this Middleweight bout between Kuiva and DeAngelo.

I won’t lie, with DeAngelo’s superior Jiu Jitsu I thought this fight was going to be his if it made it to the ground.  But Kuiva did enough to score points standing with his solid, aggressive boxing and was able to defend on the ground to put his name all over those first two with the judges. 

I was back to thinking again that DeAngelo might pull this one out when after just over a minute in the third DeAngelo rocked Kuiva…

Kuiva swings away with a body shot that misses and DeAngelo counters with a crisp right hand that drops Kuiva! DeAngelo lets Kuiva back up to his feet, looking for a finish!  Kuiva is rocked!

Again, Kuiva showed amazing resiliency and heart though, rebounding and getting right back into things again.  DeAngelo did enough to win that round but without a finish ultimately the contest went to Kuiva despite DeAngelo having the momentum at the end.

Donkey’s Pick: Takeaways:

Kuiva comes into the org and stamps his name on the Middleweight division with a solid showing in this debut fight.  Including his fights at both SMASH and ALPHA before this he’s now won four of his last five.  Clearly despite his youth and 360k+ registered ID he’s set to have a solid run and make some waves.  He’ll get shot to continue making waves as he enters the shark tank with Sean Smith most likely next month.  We’re just waiting for Smith’s current fight on June 26th first.  Another option is Valeryevich so we’re waiting to see how things play out.

DeAngelo has struggled over the past two fights as he lost via KO to Longsun Zhao and now drops one to Kuiva that he legitimately had a shot to win had the killer instinct kicked in.  The competition over the past two fights was a step up from the first three with SPPS that saw him win a trio upon his arrival.  Next month we’ll see how he fares against Humphrey Wellington, new arrival at SPPS, and that should tell us a lot about where both guys stand.

Main Card Bout #3: Welterweights

Ronnie Bass Defeats Ceedee Queen via Decision (Unanimous)

Our next fight brings us to the halfway point of the Main Card and the last fight before the two Main Events.  This Welterweight battle between Queen and Bass literally went all over the place…from boxing, to the clinch with Bass moving it there off and on, to the ground with Queen instigating takedowns.  You name it, this fight went there! 

Bass managed to pull off a feat in this one that he very rarely does…win via decision with the judges.  It’s not that he loses by the judges often, it’s just that he normally knocks this shit out of somebody well before that point!  Coming off the loss to Crow last month that saw him turn over the belt he clearly focused on his ability to handle the ground game heading into this one.  He was excellent with his defense on the ground.  Not that he didn’t take any shots from Queen’s ground and pound, he did, but he hung in there and limited the damage.

On the flips side of things, Queen is also known for winning via decisions or (T)KO’s, whatever it takes and he loves to dish out the damage on the ground.  He withstood one of the best striker’s shots on the feet which is impressive in and of itself.  But, Bass has a tough as hell chin as well and he just couldn’t get the better of him on the ground.  Ultimately all three rounds went to Bass due to Queen’s focus on getting the fight to the ground rather than striking back on the feet. 

Donkey’s Takeaways:

With both these fighters having had a great run, and Bass just coming off losing the belt, this fight was a Top Contender battle to see who got a chance to go challenge the winner of Crow/Christiano.  Bass has snagged that option with the win and will get a chance to be the first THREE TIME champion if he can pull off a victory over Christiano next month!

Queen has been on a tear and his only two losses over his last six fights have been to future or past champs in the division.  That’s something to take heart in and use to hold the head high.  He’ll have the opportunity to start working his way right back into position with a high profile fight against Baldomir Barbosa next month!

Co-Main Event:

Maximus Furioto Defeats Kira Yoshikage via Decision (Unanimous)

Coming into this Co-Main Event I would have assumed two things.  First, that Furioto would definitely want this Lightweight contest on the ground as much as possible and for as long as it took to get a submission.  And second, that Yoshikage would likely avoid the ground given how dangerous Furioto can be down there.  I was right on the first half of that equation, but not the second as Yoshikage not only seemed to welcome the ground but took the fight there once on his own!

Once on the ground we had a difference of styles. Furioto, as expected, worked heavy submission spam with some ground and pound mixed in when he found himself on top.  Yoshikage clearly had worked on some ground and pound skills as well, supplementing what he already had and was prepared to try to dish it out in heavy doses if he could gain the dominant position.  It turns out he was able to do that enough do delivery twenty-four shots down there...unfortunately for him, Furioto showed he could take the abuse and keep on rolling! 

Ultimately the judges decided to award the first two rounds to Furioto and that gave him the win.  If I’m being honest though, I have no idea how they came up with that conclusion as Yoshikage clearly dished out the majority of the damage in this fight, including those two rounds.  Though Furioto was aggressive and scored the takedowns the majority of his approach was with submission spam.  I’d have probably given this fight to Yoshikage, but hey, that’s why I’m not a judge right?

Donkey’s Takeaways:

There were big things on the line here, especially for Furioto. With the win he’s one step away from a potential title shot and if he can get past Yip Man lii, who has previously been offered the shot but hasn’t taken it, he’ll be the new Top Contender and get a chance at the Lightweight belt in August.  Time to bear down and focus for Furioto and team Grozny!

Yoshikage has dropped two out of his last three now, both to ground based fighters, albeit only one to Winston was via a submission.  Clearly he’s improved his defense and escapes in the time between!  There are only so many fights available at his level in the division and we’re interested to see if he truly is ready to avenge that loss to Winston.  We gave him a choice of fights in the division and he too seemed to want that opportunity, so we’re going to roll it back and do that one again to see if things have changed!  Assuming, of course, that Davies returns and signs the fight offer for his boy Winston.

Main Event:

Light Heavyweight Championship Bout

Jacob Parker Defeats John Doe via KO (Punches)

Here we go, finally at our Main Event of the evening!  And this was a big one folks, the Light Heavyweight Championship on the line between defending champion John Doe and former champion and challenger, Jacob Parker! Boy I couldn’t wait for this rematch and this fight rightfully earned ‘Fight of the Night’ honors!

This thing just about went the distance to become our fourth Decision in a row!  Almost.  If it was three rounds.  Which it wasn’t.  And if you didn’t count those last thirty-eight seconds of the third round…which didn’t happen.  So yeah, ok, it didn’t almost go the distance…it went…about half the distance.  Ok, enough with the tough math, let’s just get to what happened!

Parker is a hard hitter.  We know that, everybody knows that.  He made a point of reminding Doe about that right from the first bell as he landed a nasty cross that left Doe cut to get things rolling.  From there they danced a bit, with Doe taking it into the clinch perhaps for a bit of “chill and get this under control”, but then Parker separating and these two sparring a bit more for the first two minutes. 

Doe decided to move things to the ground to start the third minute of action but after a short period the ref decided there wasn’t enough going on to keep it there.   Back to standing and more action as they attempt to clobber one another for the remainder of the round minus a short clinch session at the very end.  As expected, when things look to be going the distance Doe and most of PJ Jones’ crew have a tendency to score the points they need with the judges, so sure enough the round appeared to be awarded to Doe.

Round two had a longer clinch session…two of them actually…but surprisingly Parker was looking more than comfortable in there coming out at least square on the exchanges if not slightly ahead.  Still, when separated Doe had the edge when it came to scoring points that counted with the judges with his varied kickboxing attack and again appeared to snag another round with the judges. 

With the third round seeing a bit of clinch action again and Parker holding his own Doe was starting to show signs of gassing as he’d rarely had the advantage taken from him in these situations.  Parker isn’t just any old striker though, and even Doe acknowledged that in his recent interview!  It looked like the round was going to make it to the bell again with us looking to the judges to see if Parker had turned the tide for points or if Doe was still hanging on…but then Parker put the entire crowd of the Bondi on their feet with this sequence that triggered the end of this fantastic fight…

Doe takes a solid shot to the body. That one hurt him but he's trying not to show it.

Parker throws a looping overhand right but Doe ducks down to avoid it.  Parker cracks Doe with a big right hand that sends him to the floor! Doe looks wobbly but he's sprung back up to his feet straight awaycan Parker finish him?  Doe is rocked!

OH! Doe has been rocked by a huge right hand and is in deep trouble! Parker smells blood and charges in for the finish! Parker unloads a vicious overhand right and connects to the jaw of Doe sending him face first to the canvas! Unbelievable!

And with that…we got to hear our own Juice Fluffer head into the cage to announce those words that any challenger wants to hear… “ANNNNND NEWWWWW!!!!”…something Parker has heard once before and had worked hard to hear once again as he regained the title, toppled Doe from the throne and becomes the Light Heavyweight Champion for the second time!

Donkey’s Takeaways:

What more is there to say here?  Jacob Parker is THE MAN at Light Heavyweight again…and now finds himself with that target on his back that he knows all too well!  And he’ll be tested immediately in a huge challenge from Rogerio Duarte next month as he prepares to defend in his second run as the Sucker Punch Pro Series Light Heavyweight Champion!  Time to take a few days to enjoy…which I’m sure he’s already done earlier this week and this weekend…and then get back to work because there is a big time challenge coming!

For Doe, well, he’s been looking to make the move to Middleweight for some time.  We knew this already, but of course there was no way he was going to abandon a title at Light Heavyweight!  Now that he’s been dethroned, he’s also been set free to seek fame and fortune in another weight class.  He’ll begin his quest to become the first Sucker Punch Pro Series champion at two different classes next month, although we haven’t determined his opponent yet.  Hare has mentioned potentially looking to Blikstein after his fight with Ainsworth though.

A fantastic night of action earlier this week folks as SPPS 66 set what we believe is the all-time record for event ratings here at Sucker Punch!  Great stuff, we hope you enjoyed it as much as we did and are ready for SPPS 67 mid-week in a few days!

• Upvote 3

1624315176SPPS_Poster_67.png

SUCKER PUNCH PREVIEW

Sucker Punch Pro Series 67

Hello out there once again to all our Sucker Punch faithful worldwide!  I’m Hare Rumpler and I’m here along with my pal and colleague, Donkey “Dan”, to take a quick peek forward at all the action packed fights on tap tonight at SPPS 67.  Wait…what’s this?  Oooh, word just in that Nati is going to step in and do my part this evening so we’ll be turning this over to both her and Donkey after I give this intro!

The excitement will be intense tonight over at the Bondi Outdoor Arena as we have a full card queued up and ready to go for you, including the epic showdown between Magnificent Chulalongkorn and Jaxon Bremner that just about had the forum spilling over with vitriol earlier this week!

Starting things off though will be a sparring bout between two of my own fighters to keep things light while the fans work their way in from tailgating in the parking lot. Afterward, four more fights are lined up on the Undercard, each from different weight classes that should give just about everybody something they’re looking forward to! 

On the Main Card we’ll get going with a Heavyweight bout between Bobo Brazil and Rock Silva followed up by a top notch Welterweight match and then yet another big boy matchup before we head into the two Main Events!  The final two fights of the evening will be some high profile, hype filled bouts that start out with Lightweights Kurt Cobain and Ramon Rabbit going at it!  Cobain needs this fight to begin working back towards a shot at the title again while Rabbit could really use this opportunity to finally string a couple wins together and start showing consistency up at the top of the division!

We already talked about the big time, trash talking finale of the evening, so I won’t go over that much more here, instead sending us for a word from our merchandise partner and sponsor so we can move on to the good stuff!

1584375781SWN.jpg

Now, let's get to it!

Fredrico Schmico (0-0-0) v Bartholomew Bainbridge (0-0-0)

(Pick- Schmico by Decision)

The first fight of the night will be a heavyweight test fight between Fredrico Schmico and Bartholomew Bainbridge. Both of these guys are brand new fighters, and both of them were named by me (because we couldn’t have them fighting as “Hare” and “Test Hare”, could we?). So, obviously, since I named them both, I like both of their names and therefore will not be judging on that. I created Schmico first, which makes me have a slight bias toward him. And, since this is both fighters’ first fight, we have no insight into their skills or fighting styles. So, naturally, we must look at the small things. Schmico is heavier by almost 40 pounds and has 5 cm on Bainbridge and, like I said, I already slightly favor him just because. So, I’ll choose Schmico on this fight, most likely by decision unless Bainbridge ends up really sucking or Schmico ends up being really great. (P.S. this fight will be 1 round, 3 minutes… something I didn’t notice until I got to fight #4 and don’t really feel like finding room for in the main paragraph)

Donkey’s Pick: Nope

Everybody knows I typically don’t make picks for sparring bouts and I’m certainly not about to start here for two of Hare’s kids!  That said, I will say as usual that when it comes to two new kids stepping into the cage what a manager is typically looking to take from the fight are any intangibles found in the Tale of the Tape and how the loser handles the loss morale wise.  We don’t want to see things like an enjoyment of moonwalking, gardening, comics, pizza or any of that crap rather than focusing on training.  We also don’t want to see a tendency to bleed all over place like a stuck pig.  A solid if not granite chin would be very nice indeed…heck, maybe some knockout power perhaps? 

Undercard Bout #2: Middleweights

Iliya Topuria (5-0-0) v Jim Beam (5-9-0)

(Pick- Topuria by Submission)

Fight number 2 will be a middleweight fight between Iliya Topuria and Jim Beam. I’ll start by saying I like Topuria better, just because his name is more fun. “Jim” is rather boring, don’t you think? I would never name a fighter something so bland. Looking at their Stats, Topuria seems to have the upper hand for this fight. Topuria is less experienced, having only fought 5 fights, but he has yet to lose one. Beam, on the other hand, has fought 14 fights, and only won 5 of them. Nine more fights than Topuria, same amount of wins. That’s not very good. Their skills seem to be pretty evenly matched except for Beam being slightly better at muay tai. However, seeing as Beam didn’t win a single one of his last 5 fights, I have no faith in his ability to win this one. So, going off record (and name, of course), I am going to choose Topuria to win by submission.

Donkey’s Pick: Beam via Submission (Guillotine)

We’ve got an extremely even matchup here with only Beam showing a slight edge in Muay Thai.  Given his history, I’m not really sure how much that will play in because he’s not exactly known for taking advantage of the clinch offensively.  Beam comes into this one struggling a bit as he’s lost his last five fights after being on an absolute tear which led to him winning the Middleweight Championship from Nyah Hirst.  He lost the first defense of the belt and since then has seemed to have his confidence shaken.  Tonight he’ll face Topuria who is known for his aggressive submission skills, something Beam has proven he can do well also. 

Will we see an all-out chess match on the ground as they battle for position and opportunity to lock in the sub?  I think probably.  I have every reason to go with the undefeated 5-0 Topuria here given his record and Beam’s struggles.  However, I just have this strange hunch that Beam is due and is going to pull off the surprise win in this one.  Maybe.  We’ll find out!

Bradley Brunswick Jr (5-1-0) v Montesh Dominguez (3-7-0)

(Pick- Brunswick Jr by Decision)

For fight number 3, we will have Bradley Brunswick Jr against Montesh Dominguez in a lightweight match. This is another fight that appears to be evenly matched skillswise, but their records disagree. Despite supposedly having similar fighting abilities, Brunswick Jr is 5-1 while Dominguez is 3-7. The difference in records also likely explains while Brunswick Jr appears to be the fan favorite and has more hype behind him. He has won his last two fights while Dominguez lost 3 of his last 5 fights. However, Brunswick Jr has slightly less energy and morale than Dominguez, so that may help Dominguez a little bit in the fight. However, I’m still going to choose Brunswick Jr for this fight, most likely by decision since they’re pretty similar fighters.     

Donkey’s Pick: Dominguez via Majority Decision

Another extremely tight matchup in terms of overall skills in the major areas of concentration here!  Dominguez will have the slightest of edges in both Muay Thai and wrestling but Brunswick certainly has the more impressive record to date.  Dominguez comes into this one fully prepped and ready to go while Brunswick is just slightly off on his preparation here with a slight shortage of morale and about 10% loss of energy heading into the cage.  That could come into play in a tightly fought contest as this one may very well be! 

Dominguez has been bouncing between wins and losses and when he wins it’s usually either a rare TKO or more frequently a trip all the way to the judges’ cards.  He’s coming off a loss to Ramon Rabbit, so perhaps he’s due for a win based upon his pattern lately? 

Brunswick is on a tear since switching management teams and joining Sucker Punch all in one fell swoop.  He’s defeated Jameson and Barnes since coming aboard SPPS and much like Dominguez has been taking things the distance.  Given that information, I wouldn’t expect a finish necessarily in this one tonight and think we’ll see these two picking at each other for three rounds in an attempt to score more points with the judges.  Again, I’m going to go with the underdog here according to the records and say that Dominguez surprises and comes out on top, given his slightly better preparation.

Peter Beardsley (5-2-0) v Petter Persson (6-1-0)

(Pick- Persson by TKO)

Up next, for fight number 4, we have Peter Beardsley and Petter Persson in a heavyweight fight. Similar name? That’s a bit odd. Except, Persson felt the need to double a random letter in both his first and last name. A bit unnecessary if you ask me, but ok. You do you, I guess. Looking at the fight, it should be pretty good. This is pretty close, both in skill and in record. Although, it appears that Beardsley has the advantage in both boxing and muay tai. Despite that, fans seem to favor Persson here. A bit odd, but they probably know these fighters better than I do. Plus, his record is technically slightly better (86% win rate over Beardsley’s 71%). Both guys have fought the same amount of fights, Persson just won one more than Beardsley. So, I’ll choose Persson to win this fight, probably by TKO since that’s all he has ever won by. I don’t have strong stats to support either fighter here, so I’m trusting the fans. And Persson better not disappoint me.

Donkey’s Pick: Beardsley via KO (Strikes)

In our first battle of the behemoths this evening Beardsley will head into the cage with an apparent edge over Persson in both areas of standup.  He’ll need that edge as Persson has but a single loss in his career, granted, a TKO loss, while having won every other fight via TKO or KO.  Most often via KO!  And he has a knack for doing it quickly in the first round!  Will he be able to pull off the same this evening in his Sucker Punch debut after having spent his entire career to date with Byzantium prior to his arrival at SPPS?

Beardsley certainly will not go down without a fight and will be more than happy to swing em a bit with Persson tonight.  He’s won his last four fights including his debut with Sucker Punch last month in a TKO victory over Jeppe Boergen that he acquired due to some nasty cuts he dished out.  But he certainly doesn’t rely upon that tactic as his prior three fights were all KO finishes in the first round of the Pride Heavyweight class where he won the belt.

Expect one hell of a standup war between these two tonight, a fight that could very well earn an ‘of the Night’ award…and my money is on it being of the ‘KO’ variety!  It’s extremely tough for me to pick a winner here between these two, so I’m going to just use the fact that Persson is the only one of the two who has fallen to a TKO that wasn’t a cut up to this point and give Beardsley the nod.

Undercard Bout #5: Welterweights

Dennis Dalborg (4-2-0) v Justin Kulina (3-2-0)

(Pick- Dalborg by TKO)

Fight number 5, the final fight of the undercard, will be a welterweight fight between Dennis Dalborg and Justin Kulina. I feel like welterweight fights are kind of rare, so that’s fun. I vaguely remember writing about Kulina before, I don’t remember if I chose him or if he won so that doesn’t really give me any reason to care. I have a feeling he lost, I don’t really know why. Maybe it’s his dumb face. Dalborg, on the other hand, is new to me. I don’t recall ever writing about him. He has a decent record, nothing special but also not awful, so that’s something. It’s slightly better than Kulina’s, so that’s good. Dalborg appears to be better at BJJ and wrestling, but Kulina has him in muay tai. Nonetheless, I will choose Dalborg. Kulina just gives me bad vibes. Dalbord will most likely win by TKO since, much like Persson from the last fight; that is all he has ever won by.    

Donkey’s Pick: Kulina via TKO (Strikes)

This Welterweight bout, our last fight on the Undercard, is yet another extremely well matched fight.  But unlike the others leading up to this this evening these two each have their own advantage in opposing areas.  On paper this would look to be your classic striker vs. grappler matchup tonight as Kulina has the advantage in boxing and especially Muay Thai while Dalborg has a wrestling advantage and even more of an edge with his Jiu Jitsu.  But that’s unlikely to be the case as Dalborg has used powerful striking with a focus on head shots in most of his fights.

Much like some of our other fighters on the card tonight, Dalborg is making his Sucker Punch debut.  Just as Persson in the fight prior to this was with Byzantium his entire career up until this point the same can be said for Dalborg.  He comes in off a two fight losing streak, the first loss two fights back being a TKO via Kick & Punches defeat at the hands (and feet) of Ethan Hawk for the title there.  He’s going to want to return to the things that got him four wins in a row prior to that this evening!

Kulina comes in with a pair of W’s after defeated Zsofka via decision two months ago and then pulling off a thrilling Superman Punch on Carter Ortiz last month to earn ‘KO of the Night’ honors!  That win sent a message that he’s ready to step away from simply going for decisions and can throw down with the best of them, setting this fight up to be yet another potential slugfest like the one just before it!  Again, a very tough one to call, but given this is likely to stay on the feet I’m going to go with Kulina as he has the advantage skill wise in those areas.

Main Card Bout #1: Heavyweights

Bobo Brazil (7-2-0) v Rock Silva (1-3-0)

(Pick- Brazil by TKO)

The next fight, fight number 6, will be the first fight on the main card. We will see Bobo Brazil and Rock Silva in a heavyweight match for this one. Brazil is named after a country, how fun. I don’t know what to think of their first names being “Bobo” and “Rock”. They’re both boring and fun at the same time. Anywho, this is a bit of a confusing fight. Silva is slightly better at everything except BJJ, but Brazil has him by a decent amount in it. Silva’s record, however, sucks. He is 1-3 opposed to Brazil’s 7-2. It’s no wonder why the fans like Brazil so much better. And I have to agree with them. I think Brazil will end up winning this fight pretty easily. He’ll win by TKO since, once again, that’s all he has ever won by. I feel like there’s going to be quite a few TKOs tonight. I’ll be surprised if there’s not. It should cause quite the contest for TKO of the night, though. So that’s kind of fun.

Donkey’s Pick: Silva via TKO (Strikes)

Our second of three ‘big boy’ fights this evening will see Bobo Brazil make his debut at Sucker Punch against relatively new SPPS member Silva who has only one fight at Sucker Punch previously. Brazil has the advantage on the ground here this evening but given his history I fully expect that he’ll stand and throw with Silva despite that purple belt he’s toting around versus Silva’s blue.  It’s just a matter of whether he’ll choose to stand and box or take it into the clinch as he’s done both previously.  He’s got a granite chin and heavy hands, so he can definitely hang with other solid strikers and take some punishment in his quest to dish it out.

Silva is 1-2 in MMA but what’s most important is that he’s 1-0 under his current management and since his return to the cage professionally after a bit of a sabbatical to work on his skills.  Full disclosure, he’s managed by Hare’s own alliance-mate, Laz Staz, so we hope to be unbiased here as much as possible.  With sensational skills in boxing, Muay Thai and wrestling he’s certainly equipped to give Brazil everything he can handle this evening!  Expect this to be the third hard hitting fight in a row on this car and for those of you out there who love the standup game you’re going to be loving this last sequence of fights!

Another tough one to pick, I’m going to say that unless Brazil surprises us and takes it to the ground I have to go with the advantage on the feet and that appears to lie with Silva, at least on paper.

Main Card Bout #2:  Welterweights

Nils Norling (5-3-0) v Carter Ortiz (10-3-0)

(Pick- Norling by TKO)

Fight number 7 will be a welterweight fight between Nils Norling and Carlos Ortiz. Ortiz is, as he was last time, wildly unprepared for this fight. He has no morale. None at all. I don’t even know why his manager makes him show up for these things. Please make sure your fighter is prepared, otherwise it is just a waste of time for everybody involved. His opponent, the fan, the people who have to write about it, the people who read about it. A waste of time all around. Ortiz has no chance here because of his morale, otherwise he may have had a shot. A slim one, but a shot nonetheless. He’s got strong BJJ skills going for him, but he wastes it by being unprepared. Norling should win this fight pretty quickly. Likely by TKO since, like all the other fighters tonight, that’s all he has one by so far. Seriously, TKOs are fun but they’re going to get old eventually. Could we spice it up a little?

Donkey’s Pick: Norling via KO (Punch)

This one is almost too easy to pick and that’s a shame.  Carter Ortiz is 10-3 on his career and was having a great run but then his manager seemed to go MIA, has been gone for a month again at this point, and has therefore had his morale go into the dumps.  That’s a recipe for disaster and his recent two losses reflect that level of neglect.  Expect a third loss in a row this evening given the situation hasn’t gotten any better.

Norling comes in like several others this evening from Byzantium and makes his SPPS debut after taking a loss to Ethan Hawk for the title over at Byz in April.  That was a TKO defeat, the first of his career as the prior two losses were both via submissions.  When he wins, it’s usually via TKO and even more often via KO, so expect him to put some heavy hits on Ortiz this evening.  Given Ortiz’s likely lack of desire to even be in the cage tonight I don’t expect him to take many before taking a fall.

Main Card Bout #3: Heavyweights

ZaDarius Haden (10-3-0) v Zygmunt Krol (4-4-0)

(Pick- Haden by Decision)

The eighth fight of the night is going to be a heavyweight fight between ZaDarius Haden and Zygmunt Krol. This will probably be a pretty good fight, it may even end up being one of the close ones of the night. They’re pretty close in everything except BJJ, which Haden has a slight advantage in. Haden is also much more experienced, with a much better record than Krol, as he is 10-3, opposed to Krol’s 4-4. Krol does have a bit of a weight advantage on Haden, so that may work to his advantage. However, I’m still going to choose Haden for this one, for once not by TKO, but rather by decision. He could win by TKO, he’s done it several times before but, in hopes of having some variety in the review, I’ll hope that these two can fight through all 3 rounds.

Donkey’s Pick: Haden via TKO (Strikes)

Our last battle before the Main Events is a monster showdown between Heavyweights Krol and Haden!  This is one I’ve been waiting for all week folks!  While the fights leading up to this one should set off some fireworks, expect TnT with this bad boy as two of the biggest, baddest meanies in the division face off to see who is closest to making a run at the top of the division!

Krol has the slightest edge in both boxing and Muay Thai…and I do mean the slightest.  At the same time, Haden has the Jiu Jitsu advantage, although I’m fairly certain that’s mostly defensive and he’ll likely stand and throw hands! 

Krol cannot be happy after losing a showdown with alliance-mate led Hero Shima last month that saw Shima earn a title shot with the win.  He’ll be looking for a little comeback this evening and will try to reclaim his form from the fight with Kekkonen where he was able to win via TKO. His manager, Action Jackson, is one of the best (again, full disclosure, an alliance-mate of Hare’s) at the Heavyweight, power-punching game so that’s a serious thing to take under advisement! 

Likewise, Haden is no joke when it comes to his striking abilities despite his last six fights actually going to decisions, some for and some against him.  The most recent loss, three fights back, was for the title against the beast, Thoth Chontamenti, so that in itself is extremely impressive if you think about it.  Whoever wins this fight will position themselves for a title fight sooner than later.  Possibly as soon as August but we have to see how this one flows out first!  A winner? Hell, flip a coin…my coin says Haden makes it three in a row and earns his third title shot…

Co-Main Event:

Kurt Cobain (10-4-0) v Ramon Rabbit (9-8-0)

(Pick- Rabbit by KO)

Fight number 9 will be a lightweight fight between Kurt Cobain and Ramon Rabbit. I have changed my mind, this will be the closest fight of the night. These two have identical skills. Literally, the same ranking in all 4 skills. How bizarre. They are also both very experienced fighters. Cobain’s 10-4 record (71% win rate) is quite a bit better than Rabbit’s 9-8 (53% win rate). This is probably why fans like Cobain better but hey, maybe his opponents were easier to beat than Rabbit’s. We can’t count Rabbit out, he still technically has a winning record and can match Cobain’s skills. And, since I like Rabbit’s name better and haven't really chosen an “underdog” to win yet tonight, I’m going to choose Rabbit for this one. I think he will win by KO, because I fear if it comes down to a decision he won’t win, so he must do it earlier. And I’m sick of guessing TKOs for the night. Plus, I think we would all like to see a good knockout this late into the night.

Donkey’s Pick: Cobain via KO (Punch)

Two popular, highly hyped Lightweights are set to go at it in our Co-Main Event of the evening tonight at the Bondi here as both of these two competitors attempt to work themselves back up the ladder and into position for a title shot down the line! 

Cobain has been within sniffing distance of being the champ twice in two divisions now after challenging Michael Aalto at Featherweight back in November and then getting a shot at Lightweight Champ Frankie Logan last month.  With that decision loss against Logan he takes a slight step back but given he took the long-time champ the distance he could very easily work  himself back into the title picture within the next few months with some solid wins.  That quest starts tonight against Rabbit.  He’s a hard hitter who doesn’t pull any punches, so Rabbit beware!

Rabbit has been hopping between wins and losses during his stay at Sucker Punch where he’s spent the entirety of his MMA career so far.  Yes, I had to use the hopping joke, Hare would have been disappointed if I didn’t.  Ha, see what I did there? I kill myself when Hare’s not around!  Anyways, your guess is as good as mine what Rabbit’s approach will be to this fight.  But I do know he better come with a hell of a strategy to avoid those heavy shots from Cobain!  With almost the exact same skillsets across the board for these two, anything goes…and given Rabbit has typically gone with a varied kickboxing approach, don’t be surprised to see him using some heavy leg kicks to slow down the hard-hitting Cobain!  I’m going with Cobain here, but I wouldn’t be surprised one bit if Rabbit hops right over him in the rankings following this fight!  HA!  I did it again!

Main Event:

Featured Featherweight Bout

Magnificent Chulalongkorn (10-4-0) v Jaxon Bremner (5-4-0)

(Pick- Bremner by Submission)

The final fight of the night will be a featherweight (or skinny boy) fight between the Magnificent Chulalongkorn (why he had to make his name so hard to spell and pronounce is a mystery to me) and Jaxon Bremner. This is a very anticipated, and somewhat last minute, fight to top off the card. These two have been bickering back and forth for a while now, so it’s about time they get in the cage and try to back it up. It looks like it will be a close fight, but the fans seem to like Chulalongkorn better, likely because he has fought more than Bremner, so they know him better. But, out of spite because I had to struggle to type “Chulalongkorn” (which I have now taken to copying and pasting), I am going to choose Bremner for this fight, hopefully by submission since I haven’t predicted one of those happening yet. Either way it should be a very good fight, and I just hope Bremner doesn’t disappoint.

Donkey’s Pick:  Chulalongkorn via TKO (Strikes)

Our Main Event this evening features one of the most hyped, talked about, verbally contested and generally anticipated fights we’ve had in a while here at Sucker Punch!  Originally when this fight was offered Bremner was hesitant to take it given the Muay Thai advantage that Chulalongkorn holds.  However, these two are easily two of the most skilled, talented and competitive fighters in the Featherweight division and this was an almost unavoidable matchup that really did need to happen!  And I’m thinking the Muay Thai barely comes into play here as I expect a war between these two after all the trash-talk and gamesmanship we saw in the forums leading up to this fight which was made suddenly with only about a five day notice and then, “BAM!”, it was on like Donkey Kong!

Once these two agreed to the fight it easily became the highest hyped fight on the card and made this a must-see, can’t wait for fight of the evening folks.  Simple as that.  Bremner will have the slight wrestling advantage in this one while Chula has the Muay Thai advantage as we discussed.  Outside that, these two are about as closely matched as they come with almost identical MMAT registration ID’s, age, etc.  And two managers hell-bent on destroying the other it would seem! 

I fully expect to see Bremner attempt to utilize that edge in wrestling as he takes this fight to the ground and attempts to throw a submission on Chulalongkorn.  For his part, Chulalongkorn will likely come out headhunting and looking for some heavy strikes to ring Bremner’s bell!  He’s got power…he’s lost to Greg Conor twice but in the last fight before joining us at Sucker Punch he had Conor rocked and just about looked to be the victor in that one.  He didn’t finish then…but will he tonight…or will Bremner get it to the ground and take advantage?  Your guess is as good as mine!  Let’s get it on!

Woooo!  I think we’ve said enough!  The Bondi will be rocking tonight as all of Sydney finds out that SPPS 67 is rocking the joint!  We hope you’re ready for some great action because it’s coming at you hard and heavy in just about four hours folks!

• Upvote 5

14856844305227.png
Magnificent Chulalongkorn

WALK-OFF KO 

Bremner takes a shot to the nose. Hopefully that hasn't broken it.
Chulalongkorn cracks Bremner with a right hand to the side of the head.
Wooooo! Give it up for these two warriors! They are putting on a show!
Bremner gets tagged by a hook that puts him to sleep! Chulalongkorn points and yells something to his unconcious foe before strutting off. Bremner wakes up just in time to hear Chulalongkorn thank his coaches in the post fight interview.

Ladies and gentlemen, after 1:51 of round 3, we have a winner by way of KO (Punch). Magnificent Chulalongkorn!
A very excited looking Magnificent Chulalongkorn rambled incoherently for about 5 minutes post fight about how awesome he is. It was kinda funny for a while but then everyone got annoyed.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bjornmma1 said:

14856844305227.png

WALK-OFF KO 

Bremner takes a shot to the nose. Hopefully that hasn't broken it.
Chulalongkorn cracks Bremner with a right hand to the side of the head.
Wooooo! Give it up for these two warriors! They are putting on a show!
Bremner gets tagged by a hook that puts him to sleep! Chulalongkorn points and yells something to his unconcious foe before strutting off. Bremner wakes up just in time to hear Chulalongkorn thank his coaches in the post fight interview.

Ladies and gentlemen, after 1:51 of round 3, we have a winner by way of KO (Punch). Magnificent Chulalongkorn!
A very excited looking Magnificent Chulalongkorn rambled incoherently for about 5 minutes post fight about how awesome he is. It was kinda funny for a while but then everyone got annoyed.

It was actually one HELL of a fight.  If I'm being completely unbiased and fair...it really was a hell of a fight that swung both ways!  Easily could have ended up on either end, and I think the final nail and deciding factor was that Bremner gassed out from being so aggro which made him susceptible to the final KO!  But that aggro is also what had him winning the rounds leading up to that point, so it's a double edged sword.  That fight was right on the razor's edge of potentially ending as a decision for Bremner or a finish for Chula...and we see which way it went.  Awesome Main Event boys!

3 minutes ago, HareRumpler said:

It was actually one HELL of a fight.  If I'm being completely unbiased and fair...it really was a hell of a fight that swung both ways!  Easily could have ended up on either end, and I think the final nail and deciding factor was that Bremner gassed out from being so aggro which made him susceptible to the final KO!  But that aggro is also what had him winning the rounds leading up to that point, so it's a double edged sword.  That fight was right on the razor's edge of potentially ending as a decision for Bremner or a finish for Chula...and we see which way it went.  Awesome Main Event boys!

14856844305227.png

There never was any doubt. I bullied him at the start, then decided to not use my MT-advantage anymore so that little crybaby wouldn't need too many tissues. I played with him for two more rounds before unleashing justice once more.
I was looking for FOTN, KOTN,... and will always keep doing so. 

PS: do me a favor and change my contract to a win bonus only contract. 
You getting that coward to sign the fight offer (after the decline) cost you way too much money that he isn't worth by any means. I'll gladly cover that loss for you. I'm a fighter, but also a business man. 

1624315176SPPS_Poster_67.png

POST EVENT CHEAP SHOTS

Sucker Punch Pro Series 67

A big “howdy” to all our Sucker Punch fans out there worldwide!  Hare Rumpler here and I’m going to be turning this over pretty quickly to Nati and Donkey as they look back on SPPS 67 that happened earlier this mid-week. It wasn’t the biggest event we’ve had by far, that’s true, but it certainly wasn’t one of our lowest rated either so it was a solid outing with lots of cool fights that helped setup the divisions a bit more here at Sucker Punch!

Now, we also have SPPS 68 coming at everybody later this evening and that’s something that I, Hare, have to personally get running over to so that we can get a preview out for that.  So without further delay, let’s turn this over to Nati as I said and we’ll get a little bit of quick insight from Donkey as well on what these fights did for the divisions and the fighters involved!

But first a word from our merchandise partner and sponsor as we can’t thank them enough for all they do for us here at Sucker Punch!

1584375781SWN.jpg

Now, let's get to it!

Fredrico Schmico Defeats Bartholomew Bainbridge via Split Decision

(Pick- Schmico by Decision)

The first fight of the night was a heavyweight test fight between Fredrico Schmico and Bartholomew Bainbridge. This was a tough one to make a pick on because I named them both, so clearly I like them both. This was a shorter match, only 1 round that was 3 minutes. Donkey is boring and refuses to choose on test fights, but I am not. I chose Schmico to win because I named him first so, naturally, I like him slightly better. Thankfully, Schmico didn’t disappoint me and won by split decision at the end of the match. For the length of the match, it was pretty good. There was quite a bit of action, Schmico even cut Bainbridge just over a minute in. That’s probably not good for Bainbridge, though. It isn’t a surprise that it went to a decision, considering the length of the fight. I mean, how much damage could they really do in 3 minute? Even the judges had split decisions because not enough happened. It was a good start for Schmico’s career, though. Not for Bainbridge though. I’m sure he’s a bit disappointed, he lost a bit of morale from it. Actually, it appears that Hare has released him. That’s a little rude.

Donkey’s Takeaways:

Nope, I didn’t make a pick, so deal with it Nati!  That said, the morale drop for Bainbridge was just too much for Hare to deal with on top of a less than stellar hidden and only slightly above average learning speed.  So, the kid is gone!  Shmico is also on the fence at the moment and a morale check may be the final determining factor for him.  He has decent learning speed and is intelligent, which could turn him into a decent ground based fighter…but that morale has to come in pretty good for him to be worth taking a longer flier on.

Undercard Bout #2: Middleweights

Iliya Topuria Defeats Jim Beam via Submission (Armbar)

(Pick- Topuria by Submission)

Fight number two was the first normal length fight of the night, with Iliya Topuria and Jim Beam in a middleweight match. As I often do, I chose the fighter whose name was more fun. “Jim” isn’t very exciting, so I chose Topuria to win this one. Donkey, on the other hand, chose Beam. He was wrong. Topuria won just over halfway through the third round via submission, as I also predicted. I’m just so good at this. Topuria was a bit less experienced going into this fight, but he had a better record and better skills than Beam, so I don’t really know why Donkey would choose Beam. It ended up being a bad choice. Sucks for him. The fight started off pretty exciting, but ended up being submission attempt after submission attempt. When fighters do the same thing over and over again, it gets a little boring. This fight was no exception. But, in the end, it worked out for Topuria when he got Beam to tap out by locking him with an armbar. A good move, one that Topuria should be proud of.

Donkey’s Takeaways:

Topuria gets the win as Nati keeps harping about up there and with it moves to a fantastic 6-0!  He nabs the ‘Sub of the Night’ award in the process and also earns another win at Middleweight with the move back up from Welterweight…but I’ve been given word from the front office that he has indeed requested a move on up to Light Heavyweight now!  Wow!  Well, he’ll go in as the hands down favorite to vie for a Top Contendership now with a 6-0 record, so we’ll have to see if he’s up for the next big challenge.  If Tribute wins his fight with Bloode tonight that will likely be the fight to make for a title shot on the line! 

Beam just cannot seem to find his way back from that loss of the title back in January and has now gone 0-6 on the year!  Unbelievable to be honest.  Have to wonder if this kid will be able to find his way at this point?  A date with Longsun Zhao is likely on his calendar after Zhao gets finished playing games with Fuhren on July 3rd.

Montesh Dominguez Defeats Bradley Brunswick Jr via Unanimous Decision

(Pick- Brunswick Jr by Decision)

For fight number 3, we had Bradley Brunswick Jr against Montesh Dominguez in a lightweight match. Unfortunately, I chose Brunswick Jr to win this fight, and he disappointed me. I was really hoping I would go on streak tonight. But no. Brunswick Jr ruined it. That’s annoying. It was close, though. Brunswick Jr and Dominguez fought through all 3 rounds and it came down to a decision. There were lots of jabs back and forth, but nothing overly eventful. Dominguez fought better though, and the judges agreed seeing as he won all 3 rounds and also the whole fight unanimously.     

Donkey’s Takeaways:

I went with the underdog here and put my chips on Dominguez, but I notice that Nati failed to acknowledge that.  Funny, she doesn’t seem to forget when she gets one right and I don’t, now does she?  This fight was in line for ‘Fight of the Night’ consideration and almost got it too.  It was a pretty good one, despite what the negative Nati said up there.  Dominguez continues his trend of W-L-W-L-W-L…something he’s going to want to break out of next month so he can start putting a few wins together back to back!  He’ll have that opportunity against the very hard-hitting Cobain, so he’d better come prepared with his strike defense in order!

Brunswick Jr takes only the second loss of his career and his first under current management.  Next month he’ll meet up with Conor Aldo, another fighter who also wants to bounce back from a loss and that should make it a heck of a fun fight to see!

Peter Beardsley Defeats Petter Persson via TKO (Strikes)

(Pick- Persson by TKO)

For the fourth fight of the night, we had Peter Beardsley and Petter Persson in a heavyweight fight. I chose Persson to win this fight by TKO, and he disappointed me. At least he wasn’t the first one to fail me tonight. Beardsley won via TKO just over halfway through the first round. So far, this was the quickest win of the night. Persson actually got off to a pretty good start, even cutting Beardsley in the first couple seconds. However, it didn’t affect Beardsley much and he came back stronger, landing strike after strike on Persson. It didn’t take long for Beardsley to win it, and the referee called it. Good for Beardsley, but I think he could use an ego check based on his post-win interview. Persson, on the other hand, didn’t seem to take it too bad. I’m sure he will do better next time.

Donkey’s Takeaways:

I had said that, “It’s extremely tough for me to pick a winner here between these two, so I’m going to just use the fact that Persson is the only one of the two who has fallen to a TKO that wasn’t a cut up to this point and give Beardsley the nod.” And that proved to be a pretty good hunch and way to call it as this one may have lasted a half round, but it looked like we could already guess where it was headed after only the first thirty seconds when Beardsley had already rocked Persson early. 

With this win Beardsley goes 2-0 since joining Sucker Punch and has a five fight winning streak going!  Heck of a run!  If he keeps this up he’ll be getting offered a Top Contender shot sooner than later, although with Chontamenti sitting up there on the throne is may be worth holding back and developing a bit longer!  Next month he’ll get a chance to continue his streak and also his development as he takes on Bobo Brazil.

Persson was the only one of the Luvana crew to come over and fail to snag a win in his first fight at Sucker Punch.  Disappointing I’m sure but he’ll have a big opportunity to bounce back against Jeppe Bjoergen next month.  

Undercard Bout #5: Welterweights

Dennis Dalborg Defeats Justin Kulina via KO (Punch)

(Pick- Dalborg by TKO)

Fight number 5, the final fight of the undercard, we had a welterweight fight between Dennis Dalborg and Justin Kulina. This was a pretty good fight, one that ended with Dalborg knocking out Kulina a minute and 27 seconds into the second round. There was a bit of action, with a couple of cuts throughout the fight. Two, specifically. Well, one, if we are being technical. Dalborg cut Kulina quickly after the start of the fight and then opened it up even more with another hit just before the end of the first round. A hard hook to the side of the head sent Kulina down and he didn’t get back up. Dalborg, much like Beardsley, was a little arrogant in his interview, but it is what it is. Kulina wasn’t bothered by the loss, and looked forward to his next fight. Hopefully he’ll win against whoever he fights next.     

Donkey’s Takeaways:

Well, Dalborg proved me wrong in the standup game as I figured on Kulina having the advantage in that area and capitalizing on it.  That wasn’t to be, and Dalborg has now shaken off the pair of losses he carried into Sucker Punch leading up to this fight.  On the right track, he’ll have the opportunity to pair up a couple wins next month against the likely challenge of Segura pending how things go in Segura’s fight this evening.

I won’t be the only one disappointed by Kulina’s loss here, as I’m sure Kelly McGrady and Kulina are just as put off by it.  Although, upon second thought, perhaps not, as they seem to have the same level of enthusiasm and morale as before the fight…at least going by recent buzzes…

Justin Kulina's recent buzzes:

Sucker Punch is the best org in the game!! If you aren't in SPPS, wtf you doing with your life? SPPS is where it's at! #SuckerPunch (Jun 24, 2021)

Justin Kulina buzzed at Dennis Dalborg:

What a fucking punch!!! Good fight, dude.  (Jun 24, 2021)

Gotta love that go get it, stay up and stay energized attitude!  No doubt Kulina will carry that attitude right into a bout with Ryo Hamada next month, a fight that will truly test Kulina’s ground defense!

Main Card Bout #1: Heavyweights

Rock Silva Defeats Bobo Brazil via TKO (Cut)

(Pick- Brazil by TKO)

The first fight of the main card was a heavyweight fight between Bobo Brazil and Rock Silva. I chose Brazil to win this one, but he disappointed me and lost by TKO just before the end of the first round. Silva cut him right off the bat and kept landing hits that made it worse throughout the fight. Unfortunately for Brazil, the cut got so bad and he was bleeding so much that the doctor looked at it and called the fight. I’m not sure that’s how he wanted it to end, but he couldn’t protect himself from Silva and Silva walked away as the winner. For the fans that don’t like blood much, this probably wasn’t a very enjoyable fight to watch.

Donkey’s Takeaways:

What fans don’t like the blood much?!?  I mean, this is Sucker Punch, and this is MMA!

Nothing to see here outside a small blood-letting ceremony as Silva celebrates his second win in a row, making him 2-0 under Laz Staz and as part of Sucker Punch!  Apparently that year of training and re-creating himself paid off.  Next up, a heck of a fight against a very talented Patrick Murphy and I’ll tell you folks right now that that’s a ‘MUST SEE’ fight! 

Brazil drops his second in a row and first at Sucker Punch.  Not the way he intended his debut I’m sure.  We’ll see how he bounces back next month against the hard-hitting Beardsley!

Main Card Bout #2:  Welterweights

Nils Norling Defeats Carter Ortiz via TKO (Strikes)

(Pick- Norling by TKO)

Fight number 7 had Nils Norling against Carlos Ortiz in a welterweight fight. Unsurprisingly, Ortiz lost very quickly into the fight. Norling won by TKO 25 seconds into the first round. I figured this would be a quick fight, but I didn’t think it would be that fast. Guess that’s what happens when you enter a fight with no morale. You’d think him and his manager would eventually learn that he can’t win fights like that, but no. He just keeps trying and keeps failing. But hey, I’m sure his opponents love it. It’s an easy win for them and it looks good on their record. So that’s something at least. There’s not really much else to say about this fight. It was too quick to write about. Ortiz just took too many hits too quickly and got cut and then it was over. Just like that. Kind of boring, but it is what it is. I’m also just now seeing Norling’s hair. It’s very fun. 10/10.

Donkey’s Takeaways:

As Nati said, no surprises here.  Ortiz was unprepared and you get what you get with that!  A big ole loss.  Norling gets the win for Team Luvana and can get right back to training in short order due to the easy fight.  The question now, after this debut victory at Sucker Punch, is can he string a couple W’s together, something he has struggled to do of late?  We’ll find out most likely against Hare’s own Lou Valentine next month.  Valentine fights tonight in the upcoming card, so eyes open folks…I’m sure Norling will be watching with interest!

Alex Conors, manager for Ortiz and several of his teammates here at Sucker Punch, has now been MIA for a month.  That’s left his fighters floundering as evidenced by Ortiz here who just took his third loss in a row.  Unfortunately we may be cutting most of these fighters in the next day or so given the situation at hand while hoping at the same time that all is well for Mr. Conors in RL.

Main Card Bout #3: Heavyweights

ZaDarius Haden Defeats Zygmunt Krol via Unanimous Decision

(Pick- Haden by Decision)

The eighth fight of the night was a heavyweight fight between ZaDarius Haden and Zygmunt Krol. I figured this would be a pretty close fight, and I chose Haden to win by decision. A bit of a hard call, but somehow it was right on. Haden and Krol fought through 3 long rounds but, in the end, Krol didn’t fight well enough and the judges unanimously chose Haden. Surprising, since Krol cut him at the beginning of round two, but it didn’t get bad enough and he was able to finish the fight. There was a lot of action throughout the fight, the referee even had to step in several times to get them back on their feet. Hopefully these two will rematch at some point in the future.

Donkey’s Takeaways:

I took a shot in the dark and called for Haden in this one with this here, “A winner? Hell, flip a coin…my coin says Haden makes it three in a row and earns his third title shot…” and sure enough that’s what Haden has likely earned with this victory!  This would be his third trip to the title fight and perhaps three time’s a charm?  We’ll find out in August and between now and then we’ll also find out whether it’ll be against longtime Champion, Thoth Chontamenti, or challenger Hero Shima!

I’ll be honest that I’m very surprised to see Krol struggling at Heavyweight.  This weight class is one of the ones that his manager, Action Jackson, excels in and yet Krol seems to be struggling to find his way.  He’s 2-3 since joining Sucker Punch and while he’s had quality wins against Tribute and Kekkonen, he’s struggled against other top talent in the division like Murphy, Shima and now Haden.  Is it just going to take some time for him to find his way or is there something lacking under the covers for this talented kid?

Co-Main Event:

Ramon Rabbit Defeats Kurt Cobain via Unanimous Decision

(Pick- Rabbit by KO)

For the co-main event, we had a lightweight fight between Kurt Cobain and Ramon Rabbit. Naturally, I chose Rabbit just because of his name. Luckily, it worked out for once. However, he didn’t win how I predicted he would so that’s no fun but hey, a win is a win. These two guys fought through all 3 rounds and it came down to a decision, where the judges unanimously chose Rabbit. I now notice that Rabbit has fun purple hair, too. That’s probably why he won. Better hair, better chance of winning. There was a lot of back and forth in this fight, exchanging hits and punches, but nothing overly exciting so that’s a shame. Especially since I was hoping Rabbit could win this by KO. Maybe we will get a KO from him next time, since he told the crowd he’d do better at his next fight.

Donkey’s Takeaways:

Rabbit shocks me in this one and hops right over Cobain by taking this the distance and putting it into the hands of those nasty judges!  The fight earned ‘Fight of the Night’ honors and I’m still a little shocked, not because Rabbit won, as we know he’s talented, but because it went the distance against a serious striker like Cobain!  The win makes it two in a row for Rabbit and certainly sends him rocketing up the charts towards the top of the division.  Next month, we’ll see how he does against Hare’s own Repus Revorg which should be a great fight, despite Revorg’s relatively young age.  Skillwise, these two should bring a hell of a bout to the cage though!

Cobain has to be disappointed in this setback after failing to snag the belt last month against Frankie Logan and now being pushed a bit further down by Rabbit.  I wonder if he’s as surprised that this went the distance as I was?  Next month he’ll face Dominguez and honestly, I’m intrigued by how that contest will go!

Main Event:

Featured Featherweight Bout

Magnificent Chulalongkorn Defeats Jaxon Bremner via KO (Punch)

(Pick- Bremner by Submission)

For the final fight, and main event, of the night we had the Magnificent Chulalongkorn (still don’t know why his name is so hard to spell) and Jaxon Bremner in a featherweight fight. This was a very hyped up fight because of the amount of trash talking these two sent back and forth. So, naturally, the fans were excited to see them get in the cage and try to back it up. Chulalongkorn did just that, knocking out Bremner a minute and 51 seconds into the 3rd round. He even cut Bremner early in the match, which likely helped him out as the fight went on. It was a tough fight for the two, as there was a ton of action and put on quite the show. They were in no doubt exhausted from that one. Unfortunately for Bremner, it was all for nothing and he went home winless. How sad. I bet he will never live this loss down. Chulalongkorn, on the other hand, was extremely arrogant and a bit annoying. But hey, if you won such a big fight, you’d be a little excited too. Anyways, it was a great way to end the night and I’m happy that we got one good KO tonight. The fans loved it, too. It had a 100% fight rating and will no doubt win fight of the night, if that’s even an award.

Donkey’s Takeaways:

One good KO on the night?  Hmm…apparently we are “counting challenged”, eh Nati?  Out of school for two weeks and needs to use her fingers and toes just to count to two!  Wow.  As for ‘of the Night’ awards, this earned Chulalongkorn ‘KO of the Night’, but we gave the ‘Fight of the Night’ to the Co-Main Event instead as that was a heck of a fight also! 

Chulalongkorn backs up all his talk without having to utilize the clinch the entire time to do it.  Although it was used a bit early on to do the “softening up” portion of things.  He earned a sizable 100k win bonus for this one based upon the discussion in the forums over trying to get a good one going here.  Well worth it, this fight brought the drama!  We’ll likely see Chula against Dismantle next and the winner of that fight will most likely see a title shot sooner than later.

For Bremner this had to be a disappointing loss considering all the babble by both parties heading into it.  But hey, that makes it a ton of fun eh?  He’ll attempt to bounce back next month with a chance to get the ‘W’ against Petsuwan Sitsongrit.  A tough fight, but winnable.  For both parties!

Alright, I have to run over and try to get a preview out now for SPPS 68 folks!  But in the meantime, we hope you enjoyed the results of this one and are ready for more action tonight over at the Bondi!  We’ll see you there, get there early and get the tailgating going, I’m pretty sure there’s already a crowd down in the parking lots!

• Upvote 3

1624653598SPPS_Poster_68.png

SUCKER PUNCH PREVIEW

Sucker Punch Pro Series 68

Alright folks, SPPS 68 is upon us in just a few hours and being I worked an 11 hour day today I’m trying to make my way through the review of SPPS 67 and still get this preview out as well!  Please bear with me (and Donkey) as we try to get through this in at least a somewhat interesting fashion without going on and on too long! 

A full ten fights on tap tonight with a quick sparring bout opening things up.  We’ve got quite a few of the “somewhat” big boys on tap tonight as five of the fights involve Light Heavyweights.  That’s be fun!  We also have a Lightweight match in the middle of the Undercard, a Welterweight bout opening up the Main Card and Middleweight smack in the middle there of that one…and then a second Middleweight bout between Ainsworth and Blikstein that will be the Main Event of the evening!

With that said, I don’t want to go on and on and on…let’s just say that the fireworks are about to go off in Sydney over at the Bondi Outdoor Arena in just about six or seven hours from now, and we hope you’re there with us.  For now, let’s get a quick word in about our sponsor and merchandise partner and move on to the look ahead!

1584375781SWN.jpg

Do you find that you’re resting your fighters too often? Two, three, maybe even 4 times a week sometimes?  If that’s the case, you’re probably not supplementing their training, and if you are I’m thinking you’re not doing it with Shadow Warrior Tea 160Q, which is Shadow Warrior Nutrition’s outstanding energy loss reduction supplement.  It’s the best money can buy and will keep your fighter in the gym training rather than sitting days out resting!  Stop on over there today, you will NOT be disappointed!

Now, let's get to it!

Undercard Bout #1: Welterweight Sparring Bout

Taz McKane (1-0-0) v Reggin Reggin (0-0-0)

Alright folks, we’ll kick things off here with a quick sparring bout between two of Chris Karter’s hopefuls as they try to impress him and show what they’ve got tonight.  One thing I can say is that Karter has already got his hands full with “Free Camara” over there, as he’s disrespecting the cameraman and the crowd at home with his one-finger salute!  Damn, that’s one way to start your career!

Not sure that the result here matters much. Taz McKane having about a 2k ID advantage probably bodes well for him getting the win unless Karter has told him to throw this one.  Always a possibility!  We’ll find out tonight folks!

Donkey’s Pick: Nope

I don’t make picks for sparring bouts often and won’t here either.  We know that McKane has a solid chin from his first fight but what we don’t know is how he’ll handle losing. If he loses.  That might be what manager Karter wants to know this evening, aside from finding out what Reggin has hidden away as well. 

Undercard Bout #2: Light Heavyweights

Abraham Barnes (4-6-0) v Sacrificial Lamb (6-8-0)

From what we’ve been told this is likely my former dude’s last fight.  Lamb hasn’t performed up to expectations for his new manager and I’m thinking that after he’s dropped he’s unlikely to find new work in the cage.  Perhaps he’ll become a coach or something in the future? Sometimes those who aren’t the best make the best coaches later in all sports.  Anyways, he does come prepared for the fight tonight, so perhaps he goes out with a bang and nails a ‘W’ as a parting gift to the fans!

If Barnes has anything to say about it that won’t be the way Lamb is walking out the cage this evening.  Barnes has lost his last two fights heading into the cage this evening and will be laser focused on trying to right the ship.  Having only one win over his last five makes that even more critical.  Barnes likes the ground and pound and that seems a reasonable thing to expect against Lamb this evening.  Lamb does have solid defense on the ground if his tactics are set correctly, I know that for a fact, so this one is going to come down to strategy on both ends as Lamb will want to keep it standing and nip away at Barnes for points.

Donkey’s Pick: Barnes via Unanimous Decision

I’m thinking Barnes does get it to the ground and perhaps scores enough points there to tip the scales in his favor with the judges. Lamb will certainly give him a run and I wouldn’t be surprised to see a split decision here, but I don’t think this fight is finished tonight no matter who comes out on top.

Barnes vs. Hazuki II

Trevor Barnes (5-5-1) v Ryo Hazuki (2-3-0)

Our second Barnes of the evening heads into the cage tonight in this Lightweight matchup against Ryo Hazuki.  Both Barnes are led by Clifton Barnes who will be hoping to see his kids go 2-0 early in the evening so he can sit back with a smile on his face as he enjoys the rest of the event!  Unfortunately for Trevor Barnes, this one doesn’t look to be leaning in his favor though as his manager has him coming in at about only 60-65% morale and that’s more than enough lost there to have an effect.

These two met two months ago in April and we are looking to see if Barnes has improved his ground defenses as last time he fell via a triangle choke to Hazuki.  Given his morale situation, it’s unlikely he’ll have the drive and motivation to keep this thing standing and that won’t bode well for him avoiding a repeat performance.  Expect Hazuki to try to duplicate the results from last time with a submission in the first round.

Donkey’s Pick: Hazuki via Submission (Armbar)

No need to dwell on this one.  Hazuki will have the advantage once this reaches the ground.  Not if, but when.  Barnes has not done himself any favors by coming in unprepared and he’s likely to pay for it tonight.

Undercard Bout #4: Light Heavyweights

Werner Wernerblom (5-2-0) v Atilla Dorn (3-3-0)

Paul Dengel, manager for Atilla Dorn, has made it clear to me in the past month or so that he has too much going on in RL and has not been giving his fighters the attention they need.  That’s evident here as he’s now been away for three weeks leading up to this fight and Dorn now heads into the cage this evening rudderless and without guidance from his corner.  He’s lacking a slight bit of energy, about the same as Wernerblom, but he’s also short on about 35% of his morale and that’s likely to spell doom this evening.

Dorn is coming off two wins over Shigemasa and Meyer, so that makes this lack of preparation disappointing this evening as he appeared to be about ready to make a run up the ladder.  Wernerblom, making his Sucker Punch debut this evening, is the fourth fighter to come to us from the Luvana camp and is part of a pair remaining who didn’t fight earlier this week.  His teammate, Eriksson, will fight later this evening.  Wernerblom will attempt to pile onto the wins his team accumulated earlier in the week and certainly Dorn’s lack of preparation will make it easier for him to take advantage on the feet.  Expect to see him striking and striking to finish this evening!

Donkey’s Pick: Wernerblom via TKO (Strikes)

There’s really not much more to add to what Hare had to say.  This fight is pretty straightforward and I don’t expect Dorn has been given any prep or strategy for this fight.  It should go to Wernerblom, we just don’t know if it’ll take one or two rounds to finish.

Undercard Bout #5: Light Heavyweights

Andrei Averyanov (4-0-0) v Joe Junior (8-5-0)

Junior is slightly off on morale coming into this fight but that shouldn’t be the factor that dictates how this one goes.  Instead, his focus and approach to  how to defeat the currently undefeated Averyanov is the biggest key to whether he can win this fight and put a 1 in that middle column for Averyanov or not.

Averyanov has the advantage in Muay Thai and wrestling, but most certainly on the MT side of that, but despite that typical advantage does not tend to utilize it for the win.  Instead, he prefers to stand and throw shots from range and is very, very effective with that approach!  He’s won three of his fights, all of them here at Sucker Punch, via TKO and KO.  His only decision was a test fight almost a year before he got truly serious about stepping into the cage professionally.

There’s really no telling how Junior will approach this fight.  He’s won via submission in the past, he’s utilized some ground and pound and he’s also won via TKO standing.  He’s an opportunist who will go with what options present and work with it.  He’s coming off an impressive KO victory over Jedi Rebel and has amassed a more than solid 8-5 record over his career, all here at Sucker Punch.  Despite not knowing how he might approach this fight one thing is for certain…he’s not about to give Averyanov a free pass to his fifth win!

Donkey’s Pick: Averyanov via TKO (Strikes)

Despite Hare’s confidence in Junior one thing is certainly true.  Junior has fallen to TKO’s and KO’s as well as having dished them out.  Averyanov has not fallen yet, and loves to dish out those exact same types of dishes that have felled Junior in the past.  That’s a tall order for Junior to work around this evening though he could surprise us by working the ground attack.  If he doesn’t, Averyanov likely gets this one.

Main Card Bout #1: Welterweights

Rick Segura (4-1-0) v Erik Eriksson (5-3-0)

Our Main Card this evening starts out with two solid fighters heading into the cage fully prepped and ready for action!  Welterweights Eriksson and Segura are ready to throw down and this is one I can’t wait to see tonight!

Eriksson is a striker who will have that advantage this evening.  He’ll be happy to have it too as he’s struggled in his two prior fights at CMMA before joining us here at Sucker Punch.  Losing via KO and then Submission, he’s looking to turn things around this evening.  The submission he fell to last time will be fresh on his mind though as he faces Segura and the edge Segura has in the ground game tonight.

While Segura doesn’t necessarily bring a submission threat to the table tonight for Eriksson, he still will attempt to work the advantage on the ground though.  Just with a focus on getting top position and then raining down the pain!  He’s coming off four wins in a row but now needs to be tested at a whole new level against new competition.  Eriksson will definitely provide that next step forward for Segura so this is a great test and a fight to watch tonight!

Donkey’s Pick: Segura via TKO (Strikes)

Eriksson could easily finish this one and do it fast if he lands the right shots and can prevent takedowns for a while in this fight.  However, I suspect it will eventually end up on the ground and when it does Segura’s skills there should take over.  If Eriksson ends up on the bottom he’s going to be in a bit of trouble so it’s critical that he avoid that and get back to the feet no matter what it takes.

Main Card Bout #2:  Light Heavyweights

Victor Veidt (4-1-0) v Wille Thai (9-4-0)

We’ve talked about this so many times when Thai’s turn in the cage has come up but we’re going to say it once again…Thai is almost solely a submission specialist and will want this fight on the ground tonight.  That said, he’s clearly been working on his standup skills both boxing and Muay Thai as they’ve started to move from “forgettable” to “something”.  That means he could simply be trying to become better defensively in that area…or it could mean he’s starting to develop multiple weapons.  Time will tell, but tonight I expect he’s going to still want it on the ground.

Veidt was once managed to V Veidt who had a group of fighters that looked to be primed to dominate the landscape for a while.  Then, he just disappeared.  Many of those guys sat for a while before getting trained again and lost valuable time training.  So they went from what could have been to maybe still having a future but having to work a lot harder at it.  That’s the case for Victor here who was on a four fight win streak before Veidt disappeared.  Later he was picked up by Slick Gunderson who kept him long enough to introduce him to the cage again, but bailed on him after he lost to talented Rogerio Duarte.  That didn’t scare Tristan Finch away though, as he promptly picked Veidt up and started coaching him along a bit in preparation for a serious run in the cage.  That run starts tonight!  Veidt will be looking to keep this fight off the ground and out of harm’s way while trying to finish Thai and get back to his winning ways.  We’ll see if he’s ready to do just that later this evening!

Donkey’s Pick: Thai via Submission (Armbar)

It’s not that I’m convinced Thai will win this.  I just need to see a little more now.  Both of his striking defense and skills on the feet as well as whether Veidt has had enough time to adjust and prepare again.  This is a really interesting fight that is definitely worthy of being on the Main Card tonight!

Main Card Bout #3: Middleweights

Artemyev Valeryevich (5-1-0) v Sean Smith (7-2-0)

Sean Smith and the rest of the Robert Smith led Savage Krew once looked to be the next “big thing” in MMA and around Sucker Punch.  Then, Mr. Smith lost his ability to focus on the landscape here at MMAT due to RL calls for attention and things have slid some.  Smith, who had worked himself up into Contender status has now been heading into the cage less than prepared at times and tonight is no exception.  He’s off slightly on morale, but more on energy as he’s about 20% low.  That’s not good and unless he finishes early with a TKO victory that energy issue could come into play.

Valeryevich was on a tear and then suddenly…his manager went “Poof!”  Not many know why.  I don’t think.  If you do, hey, message me!  I’m all for the interesting gossip and tea man!  All that said, this man still has a ton of talent and skill. He’s a knockout artist despite his last win coming via decision. He has remarkable boxing and sensational Muay Thai and will look to use both tonight.  He’ll likely approach this fight in a similar way as Smith, only with better skills in the key areas for standup.  Combined with Smith’s energy shortage, this could be the difference maker tonight.

Donkey’s Pick: Valeryevich via TKO (Strikes)

I expect that Hare’s right and I’ll go one step further and say that Smith likely gasses and then the KO or TKO comes for Valeryevich.  I could go on and on with more but it’s about as simple as that.  Robert Smith hasn’t been around in two weeks to guide Smith and that’s likely going to play into a lack of strategy and prep that was needed to win this one.

Co-Main Event:

Featured Light Heavyweight Bout

Tank Tribute (9-4-0) v Choctaw Bloode (8-5-0)

Big things on the line here tonight in the Co-Main Event for Tribute as it applies to his trip up the rankings in the Light Heavyweight division!  We have two very evenly matched fighters on hand with Bloode and Tribute but Tribute has himself in position record-wise to make a run at Top Contender.  If he wins this one here tonight, he could get a Top Contender battle and with it a shot to go on for the title! 

Bloode was dropped by G Wad three months back after a loss to Eemeli Lampi, a loss that saw Lampi go on to be Top Contender and clearly left G Wad concerned about something he saw.  He was picked up by Action Jackson shortly after but last month he lost to Bjorn Akerfeldt via a submission and AJ also felt it was best to let Bloode go.  Now, with Ryan West leading him into the cage after about six or seven weeks off Bloode will attempt to prove the prior two wrong and show that he’s ready to win again and also show why he was a former champ at Checkmate!

Bloode is mostly a kickboxer who doesn’t mind clinching up as well.  He’ll be tightly matched in those areas tonight by Tribute who has made a career of winning via KO’s and TKO’s.  The one thing Tribute will need to watch out for is cuts.  He’s suffered them in many of his fights and has even lost two due to doctor stoppages.  That’s a key to watch tonight as these two clash!

Donkey’s Pick: Tribute via TKO (Strikes)

I’m going with Tribute here.  If the cuts don’t rear their ugly head.  I am concerned about that and for that reason I was almost tempted to pick Bloode.  We’ll see how it turns out!  Stay tuned folks, this could be a nasty Co-Main Event that decorates the cage to finish off the evening leading into the final Main Event!

Main Event:

Featured Middleweight Bout

Wilfred Ainsworth (8-2-1) v Paulo Blikstein (8-4-1)

Ainsworth technically has the advantage in this matchup tonight as Middleweights get ready to clash!  But don’t count Blikstein out despite Ainsworth’s skills in Muay Thai and Jiu Jitsu being more advanced.  Blikstein has taken out or given a hell of a fight to the likes of Beam, Yi and a host of other fighters before joining Sucker Punch over at GDL! 

With almost identical records minus two additional losses for Blikstein these two are a well matched pair heading into the Main Event and the fact that they are headlining this card isn’t a mistake.  They’re likeable, skilled and come with a big fan base that is dying to see their guy come out on top!

Blikstein boxes with the best of them and can also dish out some ground and pound if he finds himself down on the mat and manages to get position.  Ainsworth is an all-out nasty brawler with great skills across the board. He’ll kick, punch, scratch, claw and quite possibly bite or headbutt if that’s what it takes! I expect a full-on war tonight in our Main Event!

Donkey’s Pick:  Ainsworth via TKO (Strikes)

Ainsworth is trying his damn best to work his way back into the title picture in the Middleweight division.  But he’s surrounded but a crap ton of talent and it’s no easy task these days.  Especially with Machado now perched back atop the mountain.  To get back now, any man who wants a shot at being a Top Contender is going to have their work cut out for them. That’s what these two are attempting tonight.  To prove they’re one of the best in the division and to prove that the other guy is NOT…at least, not as good as they are! This is a statement making opportunity for both fighters.  Blikstein would love to steal the stage and the thunder from Ainsworth here, and he may very well do it.  But man, let’s just get it on!

Tonight the power, excitement and energy will definitely be felt by Sydney as SPPS 68 kicks off over at the Bondi Outdoor Arena.   I’m now all hyped up and ready to see how our boys bring it in the cage this evening, I hope you are too!

• Upvote 3

And so, it all comes down to this. The greatest one-sided rivalry in Sucker Punch history reaches its conclusion on July 3. Longsun, you've climbed back up from the bottom but you must realize there is a ceiling that your glass chin and easily-cut face cannot break through. Psiris Fuhren is the standard. And you? You are just another stepping stone. You will lose...again. 

• Like 1