Alfred Winterbottom Grappling Invitational - 25 Million T$ Prize

Alfred

I'm out, but had fun while it lasted. I'm happy about my guy never being submitted at least. Not as happy about having my max level BJJ & Transition guy constantly having his guard passed like a white belt.

This was very different from previous tournaments I have done and I think the weird 3 step elimination worked well with grappling. Good luck to the rest of you.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, jjsquirrel said:

I'm out, but had fun while it lasted. I'm happy about my guy never being submitted at least. Not as happy about having my max level BJJ & Transition guy constantly having his guard passed like a white belt.

This was very different from previous tournaments I have done and I think the weird 3 step elimination worked well with grappling. Good luck to the rest of you.

You gave me a big fright that I had forgotten about the next round of matches and they were earlier than I thought!

Nope, luckily still over 9 hours away

• Upvote 1

ROUND 9 RESULTS

G61: Dragan Silva (Chuck) 4-2 vs. Carmelo Rodgers (Crazy Horse) 4-2
Rodgers wins via Points (7-2)

With no more life lines available, Carmelo Rodgers has been living with some major anxiety for a few rounds now but he just keeps on finding a way to stick around another round. This time, perhaps surprisingly, at the expense of early favourite Dragan Silva. It was a rematch of their earlier Round 2 meeting where Silva made short work of Rodgers, tapping him with a Kimura after ten minutes of action. Silva too was on his last legs after going through the biggest turnaround in form that we've seen during this tournament. From winning his first four in a row, to now two losses in a row. 

The bout was tense and not particularly full of action. Rodgers scored with a takedown and Silva pulled even with a sweep. It would be several minutes until the next points were scored by Rodgers and from there he was able to keep control and pick up the points victory. A major victory for the Panamanian and some sweet revenge for his earlier loss. 

G66: Cleetus Boone (Manne) 5-1 vs. Ernest Chabot (Cope) 6-2
Chabot wins via Points (7-0)

No extra grappling fans were made during this match up as wrestler Ernest Chabot kept things locked down against "The Mayor of Boonville" Cleetus Boone and managing to keep his opponent of off the scoreboard completely. 

Chabot was coming into this one without the luxury of surviving another loss whereas Boone still had an extra life to play with. Whether that had any bearing on the result there is no way to tell but Chabot certainly grappled like a man with his back against the wall. For now, both men survive for another round. 

• Like 1

ROUND 10 MATCH UPS

G68: Cleetus Boone (Manne) 5-2 vs. Grappling Panda (Pika) 6-1

The winner of G68 will move on to face Ernest Chabot in G70
If Cleetus Boone loses he will be eliminated
If Grappling Panda loses he will move down to face Carmelo Rodgers in G69

Ernest Chabot waiting for winner of G68
Carmelo Rodgers waiting for result of G68

• Like 1

LEADERBOARD

Grappling Panda (Pika Choo) 6-1
Ernest Chabot (Cope T) 7-2
Cleetus Boone (Freako Wimp) 5-2
Carmelo Rodgers (Crazy Horse) 5-2

Dragan Silva (Chuck W94) 4-3
Joao Miyao (Mac Little) 5-3
Brijbhushan Siddika (Bob Slay) 4-3
Cleber Rocha (Alfred Winterbottom) 4-3
Adriel Orozco (Tycoon Judas) 2-3
Antonio Darko (Rei) 3-3
Axel Randall (Don Frye) 2-3
Bernhard River Jr (Joe River) 2-3
Pedro Hemeterio De Araujo (Rush Greyson) 2-3
Jaan Mirtel (Henry Rollins) 2-3
Rip Dolomite (Real Rocket) 1-3
Rick Donkulus (Jimmy Normal) 1-3
Randy Snooze (Scottie 2 Hottie) 1-3
Avital Lavi (Todd Westacott) 0-3
David Donowitz (Chris Karter) 0-3
Billy Richards (Albert Summertop) 0-3

• Like 1

On 11/22/2023 at 6:48 AM, jjsquirrel said:

Thanks for being a part of it!

Glad you enjoyed the format. It's been cool not having to wait weeks in between fights to progress the tournament. 

• Like 1

Yeah it's all a bit confusing, but having multiple lives is fun. Lets the builds evolve a bit too (either for better or for worse).

Interesting to note that it's two guys who started out with more wrestling primaries than BJJ vs two guys who went the most popular full BJJ primaries on creation. Chabot still rocking the blue belt!

Although that said, I just had a look at the panda and now he's got some big time wrestling primaries too?!?! We're really all going to lose to a panda aren't we?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Daudy said:

Yeah it's all a bit confusing, but having multiple lives is fun. Lets the builds evolve a bit too (either for better or for worse).

Interesting to note that it's two guys who started out with more wrestling primaries than BJJ vs two guys who went the most popular full BJJ primaries on creation. Chabot still rocking the blue belt!

Although that said, I just had a look at the panda and now he's got some big time wrestling primaries too?!?! We're really all going to lose to a panda aren't we?

It would have probably been less confusing if I could have found a way to upload the bracket clearly but that sort of wizardry is beyond me I'm afraid. 

• Upvote 1

ROUND 10 RESULTS

G68: Cleetus Boone (Manne) 4-2 vs. Grappling Panda (Pika) 6-1
Boone wins via Points (3-2)

Another football score in this one but with 25m on the line you could almost forgive lack of action. 

Cleetus Boone coming in with no lifelines remaining going up against the surprise package of the tournament Grappling Panda. Panda, who had only lost one match up prior to this, could afford to be a little more relaxed with the result as no matter what would be afforded another bite at the cherry. 

In the end, Boone took the points victory by the very narrowest of margins setting up the next two rounds in the most understandable fashion possible. 

All four remaining grapplers on their final lives meaning a straight forward semi-final and final to crown the champion of this tournament. 

LEADERBOARD

Ernest Chabot (Cope T) 7-2
Grappling Panda (Pika Choo) 6-2
Cleetus Boone (Freako Wimp) 5-2
Carmelo Rodgers (Crazy Horse) 5-2

Dragan Silva (Chuck W94) 4-3
Joao Miyao (Mac Little) 5-3
Brijbhushan Siddika (Bob Slay) 4-3
Cleber Rocha (Alfred Winterbottom) 4-3
Adriel Orozco (Tycoon Judas) 2-3
Antonio Darko (Rei) 3-3
Axel Randall (Don Frye) 2-3