Different tactics per round

MMATycoon

Do you want different tactics per round?  

404 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want different tactics per round?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know / Don't care

Just discovered this topic as I apparently crawled out from the rock I had been under. God forbid I look in the "Game Improvements" section once in awhile. :)

I am not in favor of this addition. This may have already been said, but we have a slider in place that allows our fighters to switch things up on the fly, it's called Follow Orders or See How it Goes. I understand how people assume round by round strategy would make the fights more realistic, but I disagree. Fighters change game-plans during the fight. On rare occasions (GSP vs Penn) an entire game-plan works. However, more often than not, it's a constant "let's see what he's going to do" game of cat and mouse.

If I have a game-plan of wearing someone out, then going for the KO when they're gassed, I can implement that now. It's called clinching or striking the legs and body. For example, our sliders already allow us to kick/punch the legs and body XX% of the time, and the head XX% of the time. It also allows us to set what % of those strikes will be damage based or accurate. So if you go into a fight thinking "wear them down early - KO them late" you set your sliders with a higher % of leg/body strikes. When the opponent gasses, you DO have the chance for a KO.

In addition, your fighters hiddens play a role. So using our current sliders, a fighter can go for the kill without being "scheduled" to do so via a new slider set.

There are other things in the game that could use improvements before this new slider set.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just discovered this topic as I apparently crawled out from the rock I had been under. God forbid I look in the "Game Improvements" section once in awhile. :)

I am not in favor of this addition. This may have already been said, but we have a slider in place that allows our fighters to switch things up on the fly, it's called Follow Orders or See How it Goes. I understand how people assume round by round strategy would make the fights more realistic, but I disagree. Fighters change game-plans during the fight. On rare occasions (GSP vs Penn) an entire game-plan works. However, more often than not, it's a constant "let's see what he's going to do" game of cat and mouse.

If I have a game-plan of wearing someone out, then going for the KO when they're gassed, I can implement that now. It's called clinching or striking the legs and body. For example, our sliders already allow us to kick/punch the legs and body XX% of the time, and the head XX% of the time. It also allows us to set what % of those strikes will be damage based or accurate. So if you go into a fight thinking "wear them down early - KO them late" you set your sliders with a higher % of leg/body strikes. When the opponent gasses, you DO have the chance for a KO.

In addition, your fighters hiddens play a role. So using our current sliders, a fighter can go for the kill without being "scheduled" to do so via a new slider set.

There are other things in the game that could use improvements before this new slider set.

Agreed.

• 3 weeks later...

I already think the opposite.

Act in YOUR opinion have been great.

I think it's interesting having this type of non Slider Game.

It would be very nice to see strategies folded During The Game That would leave the more exciting and competitive.

Cause you can Be Taking Advantage and suddenly a hum From Your Totally round the adversary changes a strategy.

Like the example cited: GSP vs BJ PENN 2

Well I think this is interesting Sera. The galley is not interested What this, I think it would be easier just USE A Tactic.

Example:

Tactical Battle 1:

Exchanging punches, use low-kicks, avoid the clinch and avoid fighting on the ground

Tactical fighting 2:

It is not compulsory. The manager wants to be active from:

1 - If you're losing after the beginning of the 2nd or 3rd round

2 - Enable if you want from the round X...

• Upvote 1

I think it would be interesting if I had Plan A and Plan B.

Finishing with the 'Follow my orders / See how it goes' and put tables.

Eg:

•  
  • Plan A Plan (if you're winning):
  • Use 100% punch - Single Shot 70% - 75% Counter
  • Plan B (Use the second or third round):
  • Use 35% Takedowns - Ground and Pound 70% - 70% Finish

It would be interesting.

Though the idea of ​​using different tactics by round I think it would be good.

liked;

would be even better if I could choose when to activate the "plan b"

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would like to bump this thread, as it truly is time for Mike to look at this aspect again.

If i remember right this was mainly shot down because of complexity for some players,, but now the training element has been beefed up for realism sake, so now it must be time to give us round by round realism control of our fighting :smile_anim:

Mike has put in a massive effort in fixing the training, against the tide at times, still pushing it through, and it looks to be a success, even after a rocky and rough "welcome" road from some of the users, including me.

For me it's a no-brainer whether there should be round by round tactics, Because if it is possible at all coding wise, then of course that ability should be at our hands sooner than later.

But,, IMO there should be a choice to whether you want to st the sliders for the whole fights, or per round basis, as for some fights the same strategy could well be prevalent throughout the fight, while in other cases a choice between the rounds would make a lot of difference, especially if the fighters are of similar strengths.

This would very likely lead to much more excitement in reading the ToT, round by round...

Any chance you could look at this Mike, once you have fixed the counter/acc issue in the fight engine?

I know you have been putting in a LOT of work fixing the training aspect, so I am aware i'm pushing it a bit here, it would just be so fucking cool to have that ability.

This would add another awesome dimension to the fighting part of Tycoon, no question there. :smile_anim:

If it was an extra option for vip users then it'd be more incentive for people to pay, and would mean the run of the mill newbie didn't have to worry about complexity until they had a feel for the game and the fights

Definately add an extra dimension to the game and tactical fighting

My main reason for not pushing on with it was just the mixed reaction really. I might make a poll to see how mixed....

Excellent :)

If there is a "basic" and "advanced" setting for the sliders, then both sides are catered to, right?

I suppose some would say "advanced" having an advantage over those who use "basic",, but the round by round can also backfire badly.

So, there will definitely be fights where i'd use the "whole fight" slider concept, but other where "round by round" would be helpful,, or disastrous,,,lol.. But the bottom line is that it will add much to the game experience. :smile_anim:

In close fights with evenly matched fighters this will really add something to the strategic element of the game. I don't think it will make too much difference to fights where there is a clear clash of styles as there isn't too much room to alter your game plan if your strengths and weaknesses demand that you fight a certain way. I say yes...

My main reason for not pushing on with it was just the mixed reaction really. I might make a poll to see how mixed....

I think a poll would be great, it has been a bit of a mixed reaction but generally it was a handful speaking the loudest. I think some may even have left them game since then.

I can see the problems of having IF statements as someone pointed out, that could become a real chore, but it doesn't have to be that advanced.

The fight engine is the core of the game in my opinion and it would certainly be extremely realistic to be able to mix up your game plan from round to round, even if it's only tweaking it to say something like, try more leg kicks, increase the aggression etc.

Maybe a plan A and a plan B, anything really.

I think a poll would be great, it has been a bit of a mixed reaction but generally it was a handful speaking the loudest. I think some may even have left them game since then.

I can see the problems of having IF statements as someone pointed out, that could become a real chore, but it doesn't have to be that advanced.

The fight engine is the core of the game in my opinion and it would certainly be extremely realistic to be able to mix up your game plan from round to round, even if it's only tweaking it to say something like, try more leg kicks, increase the aggression etc.

Maybe a plan A and a plan B, anything really.

There IS a poll running Dirk, look at the top of this page :)

Even though I voted Yes on this I would caveat this by saying that this will definitely take the game farther down the complexity road and farther away from a larger userbase.

Well it will of course make the game more complex, that's hardly debatable. I don't see it particularly meaning there will be a smaller user base though. I think it'll make setting tactics easier to carry out the game plan you want to and certainly mix things up a little more and make it less complicated.

I am just really, really against this. As I posted back in March, there are other improvements to make before this one. How about damage/accuracy sliders for Ground strikes and Clinch strikes? Or how about tweaking the counter/aggressive stand-up situation and make the damage/accuracy slider a bit different?

Without being able to change tactics during the fight, I just don't feel this adds to the game at all. To Mike's point of round tactics being geared more towards counter/aggressive early and the opposite late, I don't see the realism. In fact, I see it regressing the realism of the game. If your gameplan is one thing early (rd 1-4) and the opposite late (rd 5) for example, but during the actual fight you are absolutely dominating the fight rd 1-4, there is no way a fighter would change tactics like this in real life.

Further, isn't this tactic idea already available in the Swing for fences and Fight for decision sliders? Maybe an idea is to add those sliders for each round?

• Upvote 1

This would be really good for the game. And IMO its optional. You can just choose to not use it and just go with same strategy whole fight. It can all so be bad idea to change strategy in a fight.

The thing is that I hate to watch PBP commentary when I know after first round how that fight is going to end. This would change that.

But first you should do smtgh to that counter striking. Its just too effective. Here is another example.

http://www.mmatycoon.com/fightcommentary.php?FTID=330623

• Upvote 2