Different tactics per round

MMATycoon

Do you want different tactics per round?  

404 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want different tactics per round?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know / Don't care

Anyone who played WeBL would understand this is an important feature. Not as much in MMA as boxing, but still having a fall back plan is pretty much a must if you want this game to be as realistic as possible. Sure you can set him to "See how it goes" or whatever but who knows exactly what he will try to do. I wouldn't want my guy to keep following a weak gameplan that wasn't working then switch to an unknown gameplan. I guess it depends on how well the "intellegence" unknown works.

Still, it wouldn't take a space engineer to figure out that "hey I'm losing and gameplan isn't working, let me try something else that I'm decent at". The intellegence unknown probably should be taken out IMO. You don't see Roy Nelson trying to do headkicks or flying armbars do you?

Still, it wouldn't take a space engineer to figure out that "hey I'm losing and gameplan isn't working, let me try something else that I'm decent at". The intellegence unknown probably should be taken out IMO. You don't see Roy Nelson trying to do headkicks or flying armbars do you?

A fellow EX-webler... Nice..

Having thought a bit more about the idea of, if fighter A is losing then adopt this plan is probably a bit much..

But the ability to set sliders by round would certainly be a nice addition.. Obviously as Goatarce has said that it would have to be absolute. RD 1 tactics = This, Rd 2 tactics = This.. etc etc

Yes WeBL... the olden days ha. Anyways, yea it would be a bit much with the current setup. Sliders wouldn't be enough as you well know stu. You would have to be able to manually enter variables for the "if this is happening, then do this". I'm just saying it would be more realistic, but definately not easier. BUT way more fun/more outcomes. From what I have been reading, "unknowns" bring TOO much chance into the game. Good idea as its true to life, some have it some don't type philosphy; Just seems a little much at times.

Yes by rounds though would be a nice addition I suppose. Expect that if round 1 worked and you switched to something different that didn't you would probably highly upset nor would that be realistic as a fighter wouldn't change something that worked.

Most people on this game, myself included, would hate something like that. I tried WeBL and hated it, not because I'm not geeky enough to mess with that many settings (I really am) but because it felt so much like programming that it ceased to be fun

Alternatives are great, but that in depth is a pointless exercise for a game now. After all, WeBL has died for various reasons and if this game goes the same way it will isolate the game to only people that had hours a week free to go through that stuff. That also includes current users that work a lot of hours but like to fight regularly in game, who just cannot make tht kind of time 4 or 5 times a week so leave. That would be a sure fire end of things for Mike and the game in my opinion, as the chances of bringing in new players will be reduced and therefore the game will slowly pass us by

Most people on this game, myself included, would hate something like that. I tried WeBL and hated it, not because I'm not geeky enough to mess with that many settings (I really am) but because it felt so much like programming that it ceased to be fun

Alternatives are great, but that in depth is a pointless exercise for a game now. After all, WeBL has died for various reasons and if this game goes the same way it will isolate the game to only people that had hours a week free to go through that stuff. That also includes current users that work a lot of hours but like to fight regularly in game, who just cannot make tht kind of time 4 or 5 times a week so leave. That would be a sure fire end of things for Mike and the game in my opinion, as the chances of bringing in new players will be reduced and therefore the game will slowly pass us by

Absolutely agree. Whilst I fall more into the same camp as Stu and Inglorious in that I am an ex-WeBL player (and should be able to talk with some degree of authority on it having been the number 1 ranked manager for quite some time), I disagree with Inglorious that introducing WeBL style type of instructions for fights would be a good thing. To become number 1 in the game I spent hours per fight (if fighting one of the greats like Peek then I could easily spend 10 hours scouting and writing the fight plan...). That is the level of commitment that would ultimately be introduced for someone wanting to become a top manager in this game and no one wants that really!

Yeah and no though Matt... It's only going to be 3 or 5 rounds not 12 ;)

If it was done so it's not in conjunction with if statements more so just these are my tactics for round 1 then not a lot changes as the majority of people would probably not even change things up.. It would however give you the possibility though to say start out a fight attacking the body to wear your opponent down before round 2 coming along where you could switch it up and look for the takedown.. You might start cautiously before going the big KO the next round.

I do see the point however that if you don't use "if" when trying to implement something like this then you lose total control... It basically turns each fight into 3 or 5 fights depending on the rounds.

I'm actually probably satisfied enough now in my own head so say that it wouldn't really be worth the hassle.

I do actually.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1u3q5qBYz3c/TeG1npOgsKI/AAAAAAAADBI/g18RGJnghsI/s1600/5.gif

He didn't succeed, but he did try!

• 4 weeks later...

lol my point still remains unless you consider 1 head kick out of thousands of strikes an actual consideration. Clearly he can't do one, he tried to hit the guy with side of his foot. Mentally handicaped don't fight in the MMA sorry.

But nice try.

I still just think that having one tactic for the entire fight is a little basic and limits what you can do.

I completely see the other side of the argument though and I wouldn't want countless 'If' sliders to deal with etc and there certainly isn't going to be any way to change tactics live, on the fly, not that I can see anyway without creating far more problems than it solves!

I'd just like to see some basic change which is kept simple but allows you to adapt your gameplan slightly over the course of the fight.

I'd like to see something where you set your tactics as normal for the fight and this is how you go into Round 1.

Then you can choose ONE change per round, just to keep it simple and to kind of represent what you would be able to do in real life. You might set up a fighter with a slightly different game plan for each round, but nobody (I doubt) is sending fighters into fights in real life with completely different tactics for each round.

So just a few simple changes by a set amount, perhaps 5-10% such as:

Try More/Less Takedowns

Try More/Less Clinch Attempts

Increase/Decrease Aggression

Increase/Decrease Damage

Personally I'd try and keep it as simple as that and leave out the option of mixing up punches, kicks, elbows, knees, submissions, ground and pound etc, that's where it would start to get complicated.

So you'd end up with something like this as a gameplan.

Round 1 - Standard Tactics

Round 2 - Standard Tactics

Round 3 - Try More Takedowns

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I still just think that having one tactic for the entire fight is a little basic and limits what you can do.

I completely see the other side of the argument though and I wouldn't want countless 'If' sliders to deal with etc and there certainly isn't going to be any way to change tactics live, on the fly, not that I can see anyway without creating far more problems than it solves!

I'd just like to see some basic change which is kept simple but allows you to adapt your gameplan slightly over the course of the fight.

I'd like to see something where you set your tactics as normal for the fight and this is how you go into Round 1.

Then you can choose ONE change per round, just to keep it simple and to kind of represent what you would be able to do in real life. You might set up a fighter with a slightly different game plan for each round, but nobody (I doubt) is sending fighters into fights in real life with completely different tactics for each round.

So just a few simple changes by a set amount, perhaps 5-10% such as:

Try More/Less Takedowns

Try More/Less Clinch Attempts

Increase/Decrease Aggression

Increase/Decrease Damage

Personally I'd try and keep it as simple as that and leave out the option of mixing up punches, kicks, elbows, knees, submissions, ground and pound etc, that's where it would start to get complicated.

So you'd end up with something like this as a gameplan.

Round 1 - Standard Tactics

Round 2 - Standard Tactics

Round 3 - Try More Takedowns

If you don't want "if" statements where is the basis for reason here? You just want to try more takedowns for the hell of it? Thats not really fight planning, it's gambling.

I could see if you go out heavy standup, lose the first two rounds THEN decide to try to take the fight to the ground.

Having that option would make sense, just changing your gameplan because you can, with no correlation to what's going on, wouldn't be much worth putting in.

• Upvote 1

If you don't want "if" statements where is the basis for reason here? You just want to try more takedowns for the hell of it? Thats not really fight planning, it's gambling.

I could see if you go out heavy standup, lose the first two rounds THEN decide to try to take the fight to the ground.

Having that option would make sense, just changing your gameplan because you can, with no correlation to what's going on, wouldn't be much worth putting in.

That sort of plan would be used when you want to take down someone in the latter rounds in the hope that he's tired somewhat by then after some body shots or slowed down after some leg kicks, not just randomly to try something different.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah! This came to my mind as soon as my second fight. Imagine you are a wrestler(gnp/lnp) vs elite submission grapler. You would like to punish the guy with body shots and take away his cardio and then take him down in the 3rd and TKO his gassed out ***. I don't see how you can do this with the current tactics.

• Upvote 1

What do you guys think of adding this as a feature? I reckon it would be probably the best improvement we could do at the moment.

I believe that is wrong sir. Because how about if your tactic in round 1 is going well then you change it then you are loss?

I believe the better thing to do is make 3 types of slide.

First the starting slide: meaning your slide in round 1.

Second the lossing slide: meaning if you loss the round 1, you will prefer to use this slide.

Third the winning slide: meaning if you win the first round, you will prefer this slide.

• Upvote 1

I believe that is wrong sir. Because how about if your tactic in round 1 is going well then you change it then you are loss?

I believe the better thing to do is make 3 types of slide.

First the starting slide: meaning your slide in round 1.

Second the lossing slide: meaning if you loss the round 1, you will prefer to use this slide.

Third the winning slide: meaning if you win the first round, you will prefer this slide.

I'm also against it but that post is from 3 years ago.