Different tactics per round

MMATycoon

Do you want different tactics per round?  

404 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want different tactics per round?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know / Don't care

I would like to bump this thread, as it truly is time for Mike to look at this aspect again.

If i remember right this was mainly shot down because of complexity for some players,, but now the training element has been beefed up for realism sake, so now it must be time to give us round by round realism control of our fighting :smile_anim:

Mike has put in a massive effort in fixing the training, against the tide at times, still pushing it through, and it looks to be a success, even after a rocky and rough "welcome" road from some of the users, including me.

For me it's a no-brainer whether there should be round by round tactics, Because if it is possible at all coding wise, then of course that ability should be at our hands sooner than later.

But,, IMO there should be a choice to whether you want to st the sliders for the whole fights, or per round basis, as for some fights the same strategy could well be prevalent throughout the fight, while in other cases a choice between the rounds would make a lot of difference, especially if the fighters are of similar strengths.

This would very likely lead to much more excitement in reading the ToT, round by round...

Any chance you could look at this Mike, once you have fixed the counter/acc issue in the fight engine?

I know you have been putting in a LOT of work fixing the training aspect, so I am aware i'm pushing it a bit here, it would just be so fucking cool to have that ability.

This would add another awesome dimension to the fighting part of Tycoon, no question there. :smile_anim:

Yep, thats all that I wanted to say.

Dunno if you guys have discussed this here or anywhere else before but I see this feature as mostly interesting if you can make decision during the fight. My suggestion is that the fights get updated right away on the clock (as they are now) but insteed of updating the whole fight just do one round. Then give it like 15-30mins or so until you update the next round to let all managers do a quick evaluation of the round and what to do next...

Dunno if you guys have discussed this here or anywhere else before but I see this feature as mostly interesting if you can make decision during the fight. My suggestion is that the fights get updated right away on the clock (as they are now) but insteed of updating the whole fight just do one round. Then give it like 15-30mins or so until you update the next round to let all managers do a quick evaluation of the round and what to do next...

That has been discussed before, and i think Mike has said it to be relatively impossible to implement.

IMO the best way it could work would be the solution someone mentioned here many months ago - to create various scenarios for all rounds. The sliders we set before the fight would work in 1st round and then:

1 - if my fighters won 1st round then

* in second use the same sliders as in 1st or

* use sliders setting A

2 - if he lost 1st round then sliders setting B

3 - if my fighter is 2-0 in rounds use sliders setting C

4 - if it's 1-1

* use D

* or the same strategy that he won his round with

5 - if it's 0-2 use E

That's it in a nuthesll.

Wouldn't work, if I'm in work or the fight is at 3am then I lose out due to having a job or living in the wrong country

What? Just quit your job and be up all night will solve that issue, I dont see the problem?

On a more serious note, ok then you will be were you started off before "this change"...

It would have to be the if winning, if losing, for each round to make it fair to everyone

Make it optional, so those that wanna spend more time scouting and planning can get the advantage if you do it well and those that don't wanna do it can still just have the whole fight plan

I don't like setting different tactics ahead of time to change how you fight each round. That could really screw things up, but if you don't like it then you could set all 3 or 5 rounds to the exact same tactics and not have to worry about it while still allowing someone who would use it the option to change between rounds therefore I am in favour of it, I just probably won't use it myself, yuo could even put in a tick box saying set all rounds the same to make it easire for us lazy people, lol. I DO HOWEVER, like the idea that if I am standing and banging and I come out on the losing end badly in round one that I could set a plan B or even a plan C if my tactics seem to be losing the fight. Example, some A@@ clown counter/acc's me all first round or lay and pray's me, I can set plan B, take him down heavily or increase my subs option to combat lame tactics. Just a thought.

• Upvote 1

the only way i see this working is if mike implements another slider that is something along the lines of "if gameplan was effective in the previous round, continue or try new tactics' and it would be like a check or checkmark ox, where if you click it, your fighter will change tactics regardless of the round result, if you dont click it, he will stick to the game plan, however this would fall into the SHIG slider.

i voted no and just to justify, i think that it will put too little emphasis on scouting fights. or in other words, it will make it so much more of a task than most ppl will care to put into it, and most ppl will probly just skip over it....also, from talking to a lot of different ppl about strategy pretty frequently, i dont think that many ppl even begin to scratch the surface for grasping the logic behind the fight engine anyways. so by throwing in the round robin tactics, scouting what an opponent is going to do will be near impossible.

it's hard enough to scout an opponent as it is. you've got to try to figure out what your opponent does, PLUS, what your opponents opponent was doing in the fights that you're scouting. so pretty much, for every fighter that you scout, you're actually scouting 2 fighters. or at least that's how i do it....with round by round tactics your all of a sudden trying to figure out 6 slider setups for each fight. that might be getting a little too carried away in my opinion.

if you look at the best game franchises over their history. the best games are usually the ones that are made early on in their history, and they are usually the simplest ones. the more complex they get, the narrower you make the potential user base.

the nhl hockey series. 94-95 were the best. simple controls and easy to understand = a blast to play - hockey games of today are too complex for their own good

super tecmo bowl football. the simplest controls ever. awesome game - football games today. a lot more controls. too complicated for their on good

im not dead set on either. but i dont see it as an improvement. more of a lateral move honestly. it could be good OR bad. just depends on the type of person your talking to. a dedicated player might love it. but an average person wont care for it i doubt.

it could be the greatest improvement ever though

• 2 weeks later...

I came in to make a thread about this.

This is one thing that I would really love implemented into the game. For example, say I'm facing a wrestler usually what I'd attempt to do is stay on the outside and counter while his takedowns fail and he slowly gasses himself. This is all well and good but I'd only want to do it for a single round or maybe two and then for the round(s) I want to come out much more aggressive and looking for that big KO shot. But of course that isn't possible.

Just give the fighter two optional sliders at the end of each round to determine, if you won the round this is how you'll continue and if you lost that round what you'll be changing.

• Upvote 1

This is one thing that I would really love implemented into the game. For example, say I'm facing a wrestler usually what I'd attempt to do is stay on the outside and counter while his takedowns fail and he slowly gasses himself. This is all well and good but I'd only want to do it for a single round or maybe two and then for the round(s) I want to come out much more aggressive and looking for that big KO shot. But of course that isn't possible.

Just give the fighter two optional sliders at the end of each round to determine, if you won the round this is how you'll continue and if you lost that round what you'll be changing.

Absolutely love this idea... Fighting is what makes this game and adding a layer like that to the tactics will allow for so much more strategy...

Yep this is exactly the sort of thing I want to see. Then of course the Wrestler might second guess your strategy and decide not to try and take you down in the first round or so, saving his own energy, perhaps looking to tire you out and slow you down with the odd leg kick and body shot and then look to take you down later on.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

+1

--

though a simple:

if winning then use A / if losing then use B

would be a nice start.

no idiot. think. both ppl set their sliders dont they? so you start losing. so your plan B kicks in. so then i start losing. so my plan B kicks in. so then you start losing again. then what? our plan C's to kick in? then after all that mess gets sorted out then how in the hell do you expect a fight like that to be scouted for the next opponent? you're basically saying to take the scouting portion out of the game and just have ppl start creating a bunch of hypethetical sliders situations because nobody would be able to make any sense at all of that mess.....seriously, think before you talk - idiot

I think he means at the end of each round as a change of tactics Ed, not mid action. As in if you are behind or being schooled go to plan B, if you are winning and the tactics are working stick to plan A

no idiot. think. both ppl set their sliders dont they? so you start losing. so your plan B kicks in. so then i start losing. so my plan B kicks in. so then you start losing again. then what? our plan C's to kick in? then after all that mess gets sorted out then how in the hell do you expect a fight like that to be scouted for the next opponent? you're basically saying to take the scouting portion out of the game and just have ppl start creating a bunch of hypethetical sliders situations because nobody would be able to make any sense at all of that mess.....seriously, think before you talk - idiot

And it leads to making scouting more important.. Fighter A does this when he is losing... Fighter A does this when he is winning...

And yes I read it as in the end of round tactic changes.

You could even set it by round.. Round 1 start out cautious.. Rd 2 go for the big knockout etc etc

I think he means at the end of each round as a change of tactics Ed, not mid action. As in if you are behind or being schooled go to plan B, if you are winning and the tactics are working stick to plan A

i know exactly what he means. if you go back about 4 or 5 pages then i've already explained why this type of system sucks. i was the one that brought it up to show just how lucky we are to NOT have a system like this in place. it's from another game and it's absolutely lame as shit. using an "if" hypethetical system is the farthest thing from a good idea as there could ever be. currently setting sliders is a well thought out move that you make where you scout, scout, scout and you take 1 game plan into the fight. that's what makes it exciting. you know you've got one shot at it and the majority of the thrill is waiting to see if what you've ultimately chose to go with was the right decision. sometimes you do right. sometimes you do wrong and lose. but that's the thrill of it --- but just setting a series of hypethetical sliders in case this happens or in case that happens takes all that away. not to mention it makes it damn near impossible to scout a fight when you've got god knows how many sliders coming and going. hell it's hard enough deciphering if a guy is just counter or aggressive. now you're suppose to tell me that im suppose to decipher if he's counter or aggressive, if he switches and what he swithes to. what his opponent switches to when his opponent switches. what your opponent switches to when you switch becuase he switched. i mean seriously. is it even possible to figure all that out? - it was lame in the boxing game that had it and it'd be lame here

bottom line, i may be alone, but i like the scouting and gameplanning aspect of the game. i like how everything culminates upon one moment. where you ponder for weeks and train for weeks to prepair for those select few minutes while reading the fight. i like how you flip flop back and forth and tweak sliders a percent this way or a percent that way leading up to a fight because you know that you've only got one shot at it. so you put as much focus as you can into it. because it's do or die. your all in and so is your opponent. who is better --- but every extra set of sliders that you allow a manager to set. the less important it becomes........it's the monumental importance of that single set of sliders that makes it so exciting. at least that's how i feel about

i know exactly what he means. if you go back about 4 or 5 pages then i've already explained why this type of system sucks. i was the one that brought it up to show just how lucky we are to NOT have a system like this in place. it's from another game and it's absolutely lame as shit. using an "if" hypethetical system is the farthest thing from a good idea as there could ever be. currently setting sliders is a well thought out move that you make where you scout, scout, scout and you take 1 game plan into the fight. that's what makes it exciting. you know you've got one shot at it and the majority of the thrill is waiting to see if what you've ultimately chose to go with was the right decision. sometimes you do right. sometimes you do wrong and lose. but that's the thrill of it --- but just setting a series of hypethetical sliders in case this happens or in case that happens takes all that away. not to mention it makes it damn near impossible to scout a fight when you've got god knows how many sliders coming and going. hell it's hard enough deciphering if a guy is just counter or aggressive. now you're suppose to tell me that im suppose to decipher if he's counter or aggressive, if he switches and what he swithes to. what his opponent switches to when his opponent switches. what your opponent switches to when you switch becuase he switched. i mean seriously. is it even possible to figure all that out? - it was lame in the boxing game that had it and it'd be lame here

bottom line, i may be alone, but i like the scouting and gameplanning aspect of the game. i like how everything culminates upon one moment. where you ponder for weeks and train for weeks to prepair for those select few minutes while reading the fight. i like how you flip flop back and forth and tweak sliders a percent this way or a percent that way leading up to a fight because you know that you've only got one shot at it. so you put as much focus as you can into it. because it's do or die. your all in and so is your opponent. who is better --- but every extra set of sliders that you allow a manager to set. the less important it becomes........it's the monumental importance of that single set of sliders that makes it so exciting. at least that's how i feel about

I agree with edsfan - including an "if" function to additional sliders is definitely horrid. Keep it simple, stupid, should be the motto here.

I can understand people wanting to be able to set different tactics in different rounds, but if introduced then they should be absolute for each round (i.e. you have to commit to that course of action in advance, not the sliders being dependent on how the fight actually pans out). If bringing this in, then we really should also remove the SFF and FFD options as minor get out of jail free cards and instead force people to make a call.

Personally I'm very happy with it staying as it is with just one set of sliders, the simplicity is much more welcoming to new joiners. However, I can also understand other people's perspective that if one doesn't like separate sliders on a round-by-round basis then they could just set them all up exactly the same (and in practice it's quite likely that the majority of fights will work out this way because except for the most competitive of fights then most people know exactly what their route to victory should be).