Different tactics per round

MMATycoon

Do you want different tactics per round?  

404 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want different tactics per round?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know / Don't care

My main worry with tactics per round would be that there would be a set way of doing things that would work far more often than it should do. For example. R1 leg kicks. R2 takedown GNP. R3 standup. I could totally see that working far too often and it becoming very boring. The fight engine is SOOO complicated that it took about 3 months of tweaking last year just to get it to where I was happy with it, JUST for the power vs accuracy slider. I just think this could potentially be absolutely impossible to balance.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

My main worry with tactics per round would be that there would be a set way of doing things that would work far more often than it should do. For example. R1 leg kicks. R2 takedown GNP. R3 standup. I could totally see that working far too often and it becoming very boring. The fight engine is SOOO complicated that it took about 3 months of tweaking last year just to get it to where I was happy with it, JUST for the power vs accuracy slider. I just think this could potentially be absolutely impossible to balance.

Totally see where your coming from and putting it like that to get the balance right it probably makese sense.

My biggest frustration though is that in the majority of fights (There are of course exceptions) you know whether you're going to win or lose after the first round, often the first few minutes of the fight. It can get a bit frustrating then just watching it happen without being able to do much about it.

It would just be nice if there was a little expansion of the 'Swing for Fences' slider. Even something as simple as having a 'Swing for Fences' slider for every round so at least you can try and edge a few rounds or something.

Totally see where your coming from and putting it like that to get the balance right it probably makese sense.

My biggest frustration though is that in the majority of fights (There are of course exceptions) you know whether you're going to win or lose after the first round, often the first few minutes of the fight. It can get a bit frustrating then just watching it happen without being able to do much about it.

It would just be nice if there was a little expansion of the 'Swing for Fences' slider. Even something as simple as having a 'Swing for Fences' slider for every round so at least you can try and edge a few rounds or something.

i like the idea of changing the effect of the swing for the fences slider to effect every round. because as dirk said, rarely do i not know who will win after the first round of my fights

To be honest the only way this would work in my opinion is if you somehow made so the fights can be watched live as they happen so you can change your gameplan literally between rounds.

I think that this update would be great.

But we can not have certain problems, I think we should just be able to choose whether or not we change our tactics.

I am sure that at least 95% of people would love this update.

For example:

In the current tactics are:

Follow my orders vs. See how it goes

In this update it would be interesting terms for each round.

It can create up to five strategies. (One for each round. 5 rounds)

Options tactics:

Round 1:

30% Using kicks / 65% Punches in the body / 10% clinch try / 05% Try Takedown

Round 2:

(X) Follow strategy, to win the first round.

( ) Create a new tactic, if you lose

( ) Create a new tactic, if he wins

Round 3:

( ) Follow strategy, to win the first round.

(X) Create a new tactic, if he wins

Round 4:

( ) Follow strategy, to win the first round.

(X) Create a new tactic, if you lose

Round 5:

(X) Follow strategy, to win the previous round.

That would be great, because the fights would be more interesting. And the fighters who have skills in more than a fighting style, I could risk other strategies. Wrestlers for example, in the current game, when fighting with large Strikers or can just break down or are knocked out. When fighting with Grapplers (BJJ fighters) or control the fight, or are defeated by submission.

Depending on the strategy, the wrestlers for example, could use more of the clinch before trying to take down, use more ground and pound or more trying to control the ground game.

This would eliminate the excuses of the managers liars and leave the game more exciting.

I hate when I create a strategy, lose the first round and I find that I lose the fight for a botched strategy.

• Upvote 2

The only problem with this system would be ...

... that his fighter will lose the fight by using the strategy of the first round?

Does he could not reverse the combat? With the new strategy, it will be more convincing?

This will make the strategies are studied and applied to every fight.

Recalling that way we can change our aggression. This is a very interesting factor. For example, you can lose the first round using 60% counter. Knowing that lost the first round, you put 75% aggressiveness in the second round, this increases its popularity with the public to see his fighter really want to stop that fight. It's the type who "kill or die"

Ultimately you don't really need it 100% balanced.. just balanced enough that it's not only in favour of one set of tactics. If every possible slider combination can work then it's just RNG.

Large parts of the possible problems would also be fixable by making fighters gas a bit less easily too.

• Upvote 2

Setting different sliders is great in theory. I can't imagine anyone not wanting it assuming that it could be well incorporated into the fight engine. It would bring a whole bunch of new strategies into play. However, I completely understand what Mike is saying. I could completely see the strategy of using the first two rounds to drain energy becoming overpowered.

Another thing I would like to be able to work into a game plan is different tactics for different parts of a round. Sometimes I've wanted to stand and bang for the first three or four minutes, then shoot for a takedown to try and solidify the round. Again, its an idea that I like, but I could completely understand if it was too difficult to implement properly.

<!--quoteo(post=5382:date=May 2 2009, 01:26 AM:name=WhisperingDeath)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhisperingDeath @ May 2 2009, 01:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=5382"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's not true at all. Just off the top of my head in his last post-fight interview with Joe Rogan Marcus Davis was talking about how he used body kicks in the first and second round to lower Chris Lytle's left hand to go for head kicks in the third round.

Georges St.Pierre in rounds 1 and 2 against BJ Penn used a strategy of clinching against the cage to wear out Penn then switched his strategy in rounds 3 and 4 to takedown and G&P his way to victory.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What you say about GSP is true but I would say only partially. His gameplan was in fact to clinch BJ against the cage to tire him out in the beggining BUT I don't think that it was set in stone that in round 1 & 2 you do this specifically and then for the rest of the fight go for G&P.

I am sure that if GSP saw that BJ was already gassed in the middle of the 1st round he would have went to the next step of his plan or let's say that BJ would have still been fresh at the beggining of the 3rd then in this case GSP would have probably still wanted to tire him some more before bringing him to the ground.

Davis vs Lytle is one of my most hated fight. It was like a Kimbo fight, Stand-up only fixed match but let's say that if the body kicks had done their work earlier, Davis would have went for the HK earlier also. If Lytle wouldn't have lowered his left hand then Davis would have probably not went for the High kicks...

Maybe it was their gameplans before the fights and all went like they wanted but if things would have went differently, would they have still followed that gameplan? What i'm trying to say is that something can't be set in stone, unchanging.

<!--QuoteBegin-frankyfin+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (frankyfin)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->being able to set tactics in place that IF a certain scenario happens (like getting dominated with takedowns) then the fighter changes his approach ... would be neat<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i think adding a "plan B" option setting will be the solution. on that separate setting we can be allowed to make a different strategy. you can access it by tweaking the "stick to gameplan" setting. how does that sound? haha

• Downvote 1

Please Mike. Put this idea into play. If she does not like, so it removes it.

I've dreamed about this update.

I dream of being able to fight in the first round using my Clinch, punches and knees in the body, the distance with precision punches and low kicks. In the second round using more punches up. And the third one using a takedown and using BJJ, ending winning by submission.

• Upvote 1

Please Mike. Put this idea into play. If she does not like, so it removes it.

I've dreamed about this update.

I dream of being able to fight in the first round using my Clinch, punches and knees in the body, the distance with precision punches and low kicks. In the second round using more punches up. And the third one using a takedown and using BJJ, ending winning by submission.

I've also dreamed of this idea lol, but have pretty much given up on it now, think there are too many things in the pipeline right now even if someone did come up with a good idea of how this could work.

And it would be incredible. I love this idea. I leave it very clear here. I'd love if she were in the game. I want to use more than a tactic for fighting. Maybe use the Wrestling Sergio Ortiz in the first and second round and third use more boxing and Muay Thai? I'm crazy about this idea Mike. Please work on this idea, put it in the game.

• Upvote 1

And it would be incredible. I love this idea. I leave it very clear here. I'd love if she were in the game. I want to use more than a tactic for fighting. Maybe use the Wrestling Sergio Ortiz in the first and second round and third use more boxing and Muay Thai? I'm crazy about this idea Mike. Please work on this idea, put it in the game.

• Upvote 1

Perhaps an improvement in the see how it goes slider to take into account the actual skills that fighter has and the way the fight is progressing. However, I think that the coding neccessary would be a monsterous undertaking and anything resembling round by round taktics is just overly complicating the game. I cannot see any real way to do this without too many if/thens.

Besides how many times have you watched a fight in rea life and find yourself yelling, "It's not working, try something else" Some fighters can adapt (Jon Jones for instance) some cannot (Matt Serra).

In this game that mean SHIG and Intelligence hidden. Also toss in the Swing and FFD sliders. Some one mentioned making them possibly kick in each round. That isn't bad. If that could be tied to SHIG and Intelligence hidden then that could work to.

Choose Sliders each round by choice, is something that I do not see how it can be bad. You would have a greater variety of movements and could use several strategies. Using a round in the Striking, Grappling on the other, etc ...

Yes there are fighters who can adapt, but just like in real life, here too there are fighters in the game that can not adapt. They are one-dimensional fighters. Guys who only know how to punch or kick. Or only know how to use submissions. But those guys who have Boxing - Muay Thai - Strong Wrestling and BJJ, but have skills in all areas, could have more chances of winning and best variety in strategy. Remember that this is MMA.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think you should also be able to make a call based on whether you are winning a round or not, so for example the first option in the heirarchy is "stick to plan from previous round" or define the new round requirements.

It would be stupid to change things up if you are destroying a guy, this way it could be more realistic in that you are basically able to "adjust" the game plan based on the success you have had

• Upvote 1