Training & Fight Engine Changes

I only have 1 fighter moving to K1 / KT so far.

Thats funny. I just wish we could have done Diggs vs Orange before the changes. Diggs is a beast and will probably win either way, but would have been better to see when we were use to our skills and the system.

I agree and wish all my fights happened before the changes lol. Sucks for people who have fights booked already, just gotta ride with it... and who knows what kind of bug, flaw, or glitch will occur (i.e. 100% counter, TD/sub spamming gaining energy, strikers countering with TD's despite being set to 100% Stay Standing and 100% FMO) and cost somebody a fight or two.

"We have also added a system which looks at what you have trained in the 2 week run up to your fight and gives you a moderate skill boost in those areas. For instance, if you train takedowns and kicks predominantly in the run up to your fight, you’ll get an in-fight boost to your takedown and kicks stats."

:)

• Upvote 1

"We have also added a system which looks at what you have trained in the 2 week run up to your fight and gives you a moderate skill boost in those areas. For instance, if you train takedowns and kicks predominantly in the run up to your fight, you’ll get an in-fight boost to your takedown and kicks stats."

:)

Yeah, that part I actually really like. The more strategic the better IMO.

Quote http://www.mmatycoon.info

"Tweak to aggression vs counter slider:

Previously if you went 100% counter, the game engine would still force you to do some aggressive attacks, no matter what. This change means this will only happen if both fighters are low on aggression. So, for example, if you are 100% counter and your opponent is at least fairly aggressive, you won’t do anything but counter."

How much influence will "swing for fences" have on this? What about fighter intelligence? I hope there's a way to (significantly) bump up the aggression at some point, even if fighter is set to very high counter.

Without "tactics by round", it seems like a failed counter strategy will be even more a death sentance. I know that will be the manager's own fault for over-countering, but surely there's a point where every fighter/corner would abandon extreme counter if it has been a disaster and at least attempt to turn it around before it's too late.

I guess I'm looking for reassurance that SFTF/Int will cover this nicely.

PS: I have to admit to some ignorance here because I've never been sure if Intelligence plays a role in agg/counter or not. I know that this kind of increased aggro is what SFTF is supposed to do, but I never found it effective enough, and I fear it will be even worse now.

Mike: On the whole I'm just excited that there is new material. I particularly like "recent training bonus" - That will definately add some more depth to game tactics :)

Evening all :) (if 2.11am is evening)...

Glad you're all sounding positive about it. I'm sure that'll change when you lose ;)

Anyway, to run through a few things.

- Timmy, bring up that point again when we next have a discussion about the fight engine. If I make a note about that now, I'll just lose it.

- No changes to gyms planned at present. We can play that by ear. I don't think there will be a need. Training those skills is done by BJJ and Wrestling coaches. I think I set it 50:50. If you guys disagree, let me know and we can change the breakdown.

- KT fighters, set your Transitions and Escapes to 1 point and submit that (when the page is activated). I'll replace the maintenance menu button with this new button to edit your fighters.

- No plans to change speed of training.

I think that was everything.

• Upvote 5

Glad you're all sounding positive about it. I'm sure that'll change when you lose ;)

- Timmy, bring up that point again when we next have a discussion about the fight engine. If I make a note about that now, I'll just lose it.

- No changes to gyms planned at present. We can play that by ear. I don't think there will be a need. Training those skills is done by BJJ and Wrestling coaches. I think I set it 50:50. If you guys disagree, let me know and we can change the breakdown.

- KT fighters, set your Transitions and Escapes to 1 point and submit that (when the page is activated). I'll replace the maintenance menu button with this new button to edit your fighters.

1. Yea covering all skills is easy if you don't try to have all your coaches teaching one thing. Im gonna go with:

2 Circuit Training

1 Clinchwork

1 Punching Technique

1 Stricking Defense

1 Kick

1 Elbow/Knee

1 Escapes

1 Transitions

1 Defensive Grapple

1 Sub/GnP

1 Takedown/Takedown D

Although class sizes will be a bigger issue for others i guess.

2. Would be nice to have trans only go towards bjj. Just to have something that only uses bjj. Maybe make it 80:20 or something.

(Note: I'm not taking into account irl training, just personal preference.)

• Upvote 1

Will we need escapes to defend against our opponent escaping?

Getting Rid of Tickers - No problem with the changes

Getting Rid of Aptitudes - No problem with the changes

Potential - The biggest problem i see is with existing fighters though. They already have max skills, so while new guys will be hit with the caps, the monsters of the past will have significant advantages here.

I also think potential should have a much larger range than 77 to 80 + a much higher cap than 80. 75 to 90 sounds more like how it should be. Although i am against the 100% fighter concept, the truth is that those guys are dieing out anyway.

All in all. My opinion is that we went (or are going) the wrong direction with potential. Our main problem is that some fighters:

#1 Are at the maximum skills points, or close to it

#2 Some fighters avoid fighting for months to reach their potential before they enter the cage. This influences #1 (ie they progress more over their career). So in the end we have a "training game" and not a fighting game. The addition of the injuries have enhanced this problem!

The solution to #1 is add more skills as we did with transition and Escapes. Here are some obvious ones:

Creative Punching - Basically this is more elusive punches, ie more difficult to read.

Creative Kicks - Basically this is more elusive kicks, ie more difficult to read.

Clinchwork - Wrestling and Muay Thai clinching. The wrestling clinch is more defensive and better to setup takedowns, the Muay Thai is much better in setting up knees or elbows.

GnP - Split into Elbows and punches. Elbows better for cutting the opponent, punching better in using range and KO;s

Creative Submissions - Basically this is more elusive Subs, throws a bigger variety.

Submission Execution - How well be pulls submissions off (this one can be replaced)

These are just a few of the many skills which can be added. The other obvious addition is having more diciplines (which is easier to understand by people). We could add Judo, Karate etc, each of which boost various secondary skills.

In the end a fighter will have way too many skills to train anyway, so we wont need to worry about they maxing out.

Age Based Skill Decline - Ok with this

The Effect of Injuries - There is a huge drawback on this.

#1 is that many people simply avoided cuts and injuries as hiddens.

#2 is that project fighters will gain a massive boost for "not fighting".

#3 Fighters will be encouraged to avoid fights until they reached their peak (or simply reject fights in general which they think they could get injured in) as they could "risk" getting the injury potential penalty.

One other thing. I sure hope injuries and cuts get a total revise after the changes. I notice that injuries in particular can be pretty random at times. A guy which Totally dominated a fight or won easilly should not under normal cercumstances get injured at all or if they do, it should be minimal.

The other drawback to this is that short fights will be prefered in general. I think that before this can be implemented, i think the whole way the injuries are calculated need to be revised. Personally, i think injuries should not influence potential at all.

In general, this idea is one that i can see backfiring and hurting guys which want to be active and fight. After all we should not penalize guys which want to fight!

Injury effects should be added, but they should not influence potential at all. What it could do is add the need to do surgury (which could add for a new company). This will help to create a new place for fighters to spend cash, which i know everyone likes talking about.

We should not penalize fighter for fighting though!!!! DONT DO IT!

Transitions - I like this idea a lot. Defensive grappling was way too powerful.

Escapes - I like this idea a lot. Defensive grappling was way too powerful.

Allocating Points to Transitions and Escapes - I think the way this was done is correct as well.

Recently Trained Booster For Fights - On paper i like this. In practice i HATE this! Imagine having 20 fighters and needing to check everyone's schedule every couple of weeks? It is virtually impossible to do. Besides that, you will end up needing to train skills which you do not need to train, simply to give you the Boost.

I think this should not be connected to training. I think what needs to be done for this is simply add a separate section all together called "prefight preparation". You can pick One primary and one or two secondary skills to boost.

This way your gameplan and training stay separate. Lets not mix things up, the game is complex enough as it is!

Tweak to aggression vs counter slider - Big supporter of this idea!

Tweak to Advancing Position Calculations - This makes sense and is logical. It will make it more realistic and keep people away from the "takedown to the mount" complaint.

GNP from guard - Makes sense as well

Experience - I was always a big supporter of giving Experience more of a boost. This will encourage people to fight earlier + it will also give older fighters more of a chance in getting a win over more skilled guys.

Counters - again. I like this as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

One thing came to my mind.. not sure if anyone has brought it up yet might have missed it. But at this moment your fighter will get injured when he goes for the finish. Maybe it's just me but I don't think a fighter that barely was touched in a fight but scores the KO should be able to get 7 days injury... unless he brakes his hand doing so. But that has to be a fact and not assumption.

This might actually become a problem later down the road if a fighter that's not been cut, Ko'd or so start to lose out because he knocks ppl out. Maybe just to raise some awareness on this possible issue.

Other then that I'm intrigued by the new changes and I think after the initial bumps and bruices will be better for the game long term.

I also agree on that gyms might need to get more points as of now the points will not be enough to hire one more double elite coach to take care of the new skills

have a question, regarding material i have read on mikes new page: http://www.mmatycoon.info/index.php?title=Game_Changes_March_2013

and this is the part i dont get fully:

So, instead of tickers, each fighter is given a “Potential” hidden. This is a randomly assigned value for the total skill a fighter is able to achieve, set between 77% and 80%. What that means is that if you have been given e.g. 80%, you can have an average of 80% skill in everything. As all skills are out of 150, that’s 120 points average in everything. Once a fighter reaches his potential, he can still train and improve individual skills but any improvement he makes in one skill, the same amount of points are taken from his other skills.

now let me be a bit boring with mathematics:

there is now 23 skills in total.

each can be 150 max.

which is in total: 3450

so this is start.

now im gonna take 75% (instead 77% to 80%) and that is 2590 (to round it up).

and now to see if i can have clones of triple elite fighters as they exsist now:

box, mt, wrest = 450 , bjj 110

total primaries = 560

punch, kick, clinch, str def, td def, def grap = 900

elbows, knees, gnp, td off = 10

trans, esc = 220

total secondaries = 1130

agil, flex, speed, strengh, condit, bal = physicals total 900

total 2950.

so this is ideal and end line of training.

and if i read more of material

...More points will be taken from whatever he hasn’t trained for a while.So for example, if a fighter is over his cap, trains punches and gains 1 point, that 1 point will be taken from his other skills....

saying my fighter isnt training elbows, knees, gnp, td off, all point i had at start on those let say feeble or something will melt and i will have ˝perfect˝ fighter.

i would just like if someone would give me a feedback is this what i wrote ok, regarding how many point we will have to spend on fighter? total 2950.

because that still doesnt change a lot (looking at things atm).

have a question, regarding material i have read on mikes new page: http://www.mmatycoon...nges_March_2013

and this is the part i dont get fully:

So, instead of tickers, each fighter is given a “Potential” hidden. This is a randomly assigned value for the total skill a fighter is able to achieve, set between 77% and 80%. What that means is that if you have been given e.g. 80%, you can have an average of 80% skill in everything. As all skills are out of 150, that’s 120 points average in everything. Once a fighter reaches his potential, he can still train and improve individual skills but any improvement he makes in one skill, the same amount of points are taken from his other skills.

now let me be a bit boring with mathematics:

there is now 23 skills in total.

each can be 150 max.

which is in total: 3450

so this is start.

now im gonna take 75% (instead 77% to 80%) and that is 2590 (to round it up).

and now to see if i can have clones of triple elite fighters as they exsist now:

box, mt, wrest = 450 , bjj 110

total primaries = 560

punch, kick, clinch, str def, td def, def grap = 900

elbows, knees, gnp, td off = 10

trans, esc = 220

total secondaries = 1130

agil, flex, speed, strengh, condit, bal = physicals total 900

total 2950.

so this is ideal and end line of training.

and if i read more of material

...More points will be taken from whatever he hasn’t trained for a while.So for example, if a fighter is over his cap, trains punches and gains 1 point, that 1 point will be taken from his other skills....

saying my fighter isnt training elbows, knees, gnp, td off, all point i had at start on those let say feeble or something will melt and i will have ˝perfect˝ fighter.

i would just like if someone would give me a feedback is this what i wrote ok, regarding how many point we will have to spend on fighter? total 2950.

because that still doesnt change a lot (looking at things atm).

It all sounds right to me except that you wrote 2950 a lot instead of 2590.

A quicker way to look if you're over the limit is here: http://mmatycoon.com/mystatsprogress.php

I have a fighter with 2551 total skills which should be under the limit but still reads at 81% so surely over the limit. I don't know if it's counting with the 2 extra skills or not.

I can't be arsed to sift through 70 pages of ticker talk, so here goes:

Will points be weighted? Will for example 10 points from 150 to 140 weigh more than 10 from 11 to 1? Conversely, will you be able to go from sens to elite by "spending" one abysmal stat?

I can't be arsed to sift through 70 pages of ticker talk, so here goes:

Will points be weighted? Will for example 10 points from 150 to 140 weigh more than 10 from 11 to 1? Conversely, will you be able to go from sens to elite by "spending" one abysmal stat?

Mike has said points will be weighted...

I was in fact just coming in here to start a thread about gyms, but now I guess I can address it here. I feel that many gyms are going to be in trouble since they are already over the 3000 point limit. Even sacking one or two coaches ll not help them get the coaches they will need for these changes. The gym I ran up until opened my org a few months ago has 18 coaches and is way over the 3000 points by now due to coaches improvement. There sill b no way to hire the needed coaches with the current limits in place.

I also feel that the $1000 cap on gym fees will again rear it's ugly head and make paying for the new coaches even more difficult... In short making gyms even less profitable. Private gyms never were and I am not advocating for making them so (at least not at this point), but public gyms make money only if they suck by being over crowded and filthy.

I feel that the max point cap and the gym fees cap are going to make established gyms both public and private be in jeopardy. I cannot see any way to make them work now. New gyms opening up yes, but existing ones will be in trouble. I feel this needs to be addressed immediately... I am surprised that no one (not even myself) thought about this when these changes were being discussed.

1. Yea covering all skills is easy if you don't try to have all your coaches teaching one thing. Im gonna go with:

2 Circuit Training

1 Clinchwork

1 Punching Technique

1 Stricking Defense

1 Kick

1 Elbow/Knee

1 Escapes

1 Transitions

1 Defensive Grapple

1 Sub/GnP

1 Takedown/Takedown D

Although class sizes will be a bigger issue for others i guess.

2. Would be nice to have trans only go towards bjj. Just to have something that only uses bjj. Maybe make it 80:20 or something.

(Note: I'm not taking into account irl training, just personal preference.)

I beg to differ. I hate the idea of there not being an available training slot open for Escapes in the evening or what have you. Splitting the existing coaches into coaches for these new skills will mean that the class sizes will be HUGE. And therefore useless. Everyone will be trying to get into these classes and that means that without having the ability to keep class sizes down by offering the maximum amount of classes for these new skills that they will be overcrowded as Hell. It might cushion the blow somewhat if Defensive Grappling training also affected Escapes, and/or Transitions. Or maybe have Submissions training affect Transitions, and Def Grap affect Escapes... or Hell even hae both Submissions and Defensive Grappling affect both of the new skills somewhat?

Please raise the gym cap, right now its perfect because there is 12 coaches and 11 skills + CT... So you have 1 coach to teach everything. Really Hope we can have the cap value raised so i can have 14 coaches

The gym cap is already significantly higher than 12 en though it will still list # out of 12 in the gym page. My gym before I gave it to my Alliance mate and mentee ha18 coaches... the only really limiting factor there is 3000 total skill points... which I think is going to really hurt the established gyms. They cannot cut scrimp and finagle enough to get their numbers down enough to hire two new double elite coaches. Which is what most of the older fighters are going to need to improve in the new skills I think.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Quote http://www.mmatycoon.info

"Tweak to aggression vs counter slider:

Previously if you went 100% counter, the game engine would still force you to do some aggressive attacks, no matter what. This change means this will only happen if both fighters are low on aggression. So, for example, if you are 100% counter and your opponent is at least fairly aggressive, you won’t do anything but counter."

How much influence will "swing for fences" have on this? What about fighter intelligence? I hope there's a way to (significantly) bump up the aggression at some point, even if fighter is set to very high counter.

Without "tactics by round", it seems like a failed counter strategy will be even more a death sentance. I know that will be the manager's own fault for over-countering, but surely there's a point where every fighter/corner would abandon extreme counter if it has been a disaster and at least attempt to turn it around before it's too late.

I guess I'm looking for reassurance that SFTF/Int will cover this nicely.

PS: I have to admit to some ignorance here because I've never been sure if Intelligence plays a role in agg/counter or not. I know that this kind of increased aggro is what SFTF is supposed to do, but I never found it effective enough, and I fear it will be even worse now.

Mike: On the whole I'm just excited that there is new material. I particularly like "recent training bonus" - That will definately add some more depth to game tactics :)

Holy shit...not this ridiculous concept again!?! I know there are a lot of people that like this idea of tactics by round, but it is silly and makes no sense.. Be careful what you wish for. It will make this game way more complicated then it needs to be. I posted alternative for this in the thread begging for these changes and as far as I know no one has ever responded to it, but this is a BAD BAD BAD idea!!!

As far as the changes that you quoted... this is a good idea... 100% counter is, or rather was, a bad thing... Mike fixed it... apparently he felt it needed more tweaking and has done so on at least two occasions... Going super stupid high on counter is supposed to be a bad tactic. That's why it is so heavily penalized. Can you imagine how boring a fight would be with two guys or even just e of them running around waiting to capitalize on a stake of the other guy the whole fight... oh wait... we don't have to... The Kaleb Starnes and Nate Quarry fight already happened. Starnes got fired because of his level of absolute suck. Ultimately this is about entertainment.

1) Potential - The biggest problem i see is with existing fighters though. They already have max skills, so while new guys will be hit with the caps, the monsters of the past will have significant advantages here.

2) I also think potential should have a much larger range than 77 to 80 + a much higher cap than 80. 75 to 90 sounds more like how it should be. Although i am against the 100% fighter concept, the truth is that those guys are dieing out anyway.

All in all. My opinion is that we went (or are going) the wrong direction with potential. Our main problem is that some fighters:

#1 Are at the maximum skills points, or close to it

#2 Some fighters avoid fighting for months to reach their potential before they enter the cage. This influences #1 (ie they progress more over their career). So in the end we have a "training game" and not a fighting game. The addition of the injuries have enhanced this problem!

The solution to #1 is add more skills as we did with transition and Escapes. Here are some obvious ones:

Creative Punching - Basically this is more elusive punches, ie more difficult to read.

Creative Kicks - Basically this is more elusive kicks, ie more difficult to read.

Clinchwork - Wrestling and Muay Thai clinching. The wrestling clinch is more defensive and better to setup takedowns, the Muay Thai is much better in setting up knees or elbows.

GnP - Split into Elbows and punches. Elbows better for cutting the opponent, punching better in using range and KO;s

Creative Submissions - Basically this is more elusive Subs, throws a bigger variety.

Submission Execution - How well be pulls submissions off (this one can be replaced)

These are just a few of the many skills which can be added. The other obvious addition is having more diciplines (which is easier to understand by people). We could add Judo, Karate etc, each of which boost various secondary skills.

In the end a fighter will have way too many skills to train anyway, so we wont need to worry about they maxing out.

3) The Effect of Injuries - There is a huge drawback on this.

#1 is that many people simply avoided cuts and injuries as hiddens.

#2 is that project fighters will gain a massive boost for "not fighting".

#3 Fighters will be encouraged to avoid fights until they reached their peak (or simply reject fights in general which they think they could get injured in) as they could "risk" getting the injury potential penalty.

One other thing. I sure hope injuries and cuts get a total revise after the changes. I notice that injuries in particular can be pretty random at times. A guy which Totally dominated a fight or won easilly should not under normal cercumstances get injured at all or if they do, it should be minimal.

The other drawback to this is that short fights will be prefered in general. I think that before this can be implemented, i think the whole way the injuries are calculated need to be revised. Personally, i think injuries should not influence potential at all.

In general, this idea is one that i can see backfiring and hurting guys which want to be active and fight. After all we should not penalize guys which want to fight!

Injury effects should be added, but they should not influence potential at all. What it could do is add the need to do surgury (which could add for a new company). This will help to create a new place for fighters to spend cash, which i know everyone likes talking about.

We should not penalize fighter for fighting though!!!! DONT DO IT!

4) Recently Trained Booster For Fights - On paper i like this. In practice i HATE this! Imagine having 20 fighters and needing to check everyone's schedule every couple of weeks? It is virtually impossible to do. Besides that, you will end up needing to train skills which you do not need to train, simply to give you the Boost.

I think this should not be connected to training. I think what needs to be done for this is simply add a separate section all together called "prefight preparation". You can pick One primary and one or two secondary skills to boost.

This way your gameplan and training stay separate. Lets not mix things up, the game is complex enough as it is!

5) Experience - I was always a big supporter of giving Experience more of a boost. This will encourage people to fight earlier + it will also give older fighters more of a chance in getting a win over more skilled guys.

1. I disagree... the guys that are over 80% will be reeled in until they fit in that framework. I believe Mike mentioned that they wi automatically be given the max (80%) Potential hidden though as a way of thanks for being dediated fighters, but they will not be allowed to continue walking around at 90%+
  2. Now that I have been doing more math on it, and so have others... I think that even 75% might be too high. It still allow triple Elite fighters and that is not realistic. It does mean that not all skills will be 150 but the idea I thought was o get more diversity.. triple elte is not diversity. Even so I feel that this is a HUGE step in the right direction.
  3. I agree that injuries might need to be looked at and possibly twead. I feel like the injuries are sometimes way to high. I have seen on many occasions where a fighter was literally never hit or taken down or subjected to a sub attempt still walk out of the fight with an injury or multiple days. I get that it is probably a mechanism o prevent people from fighting every two days or whatever, but Energy really takes care of that anyway. Most people have no desire to do that anyway it seems. I'm no saying that inuries should be done away with if you win or anthing like that. I am not even saying that if you never get touched that you shouldn't get injuries from that. Puching someone in the head can cause injuries. But I think it might need a tweak. Especially now that Injuries plays an important part in fighter decline. I have to agree that nothing should encourage people to sit around for even longer raining rather than fighting... but with the age of decline hidden that was added I think that ths will help to get people fighting a bit sooner. D't want to train your fighter until he is 25 years old only to find out that he drew a low Age hidden and is already in decline.
  4. Even with 20 fighters this is not going o be that damn difficult. You will not need to "train skills which you do not need to train, simply to give you the Boost" By the very nature of that statement you don't need that. If you are already so good in that stat that you feel you don't need to train it up anymore then... don't. What this is good for though is training up an area where you might not be so good t but the oppoennt is. This will help to make you better able to deal with what the opp has out there. You could opt to train and boost your strogest suit to maintain your advantage or you can try and boost your weakest point to diminsh the advantage that your opponent has... see... options... this is what will make game planing at all levels of the game fun again... you have to strategize more. This is a good thing.
  5. Could not agree more on this. Coupled with the age decline hidden this should get people fighting sooner.

• Downvote 1

Any chance of being able to move some balance points to agility or something else?

No.

Will we need escapes to defend against our opponent escaping?

No. That is up for discussion. I made it look at def grappling, bjj and wrestling, as well as the physicals.

It all sounds right to me except that you wrote 2950 a lot instead of 2590.

A quicker way to look if you're over the limit is here: http://mmatycoon.com...atsprogress.php

I have a fighter with 2551 total skills which should be under the limit but still reads at 81% so surely over the limit. I don't know if it's counting with the 2 extra skills or not.

That page needs a rework - I'll get that done later today.

Regarding injuries affecting potential, the further below your age-drop-off you are, the less effect that has. It gradually becomes more important as you reach that age. We're only talking a couple of percent here in terms of potential, if you have significant injuries.

Some of the fighters in the top 10p4p only have about 72% skills, so a couple of percent isn't going to make or break anyone.

Gyms: again, we'll see. I'm not going to add anything else to worry about in the initial launch.

Edit: a quick note on injuries - I would bet the most frequent injury in the whole of MMA is a broken hand from punching someone. We had at least one at the last UFC. (Hendricks).

• Upvote 1

No.

No.

That page needs a rework - I'll get that done later today.

Regarding injuries affecting potential, the further below your age-drop-off you are, the less effect that has. It gradually becomes more important as you reach that age. We're only talking a couple of percent here in terms of potential, if you have significant injuries.

Some of the fighters in the top 10p4p only have about 72% skills, so a couple of percent isn't going to make or break anyone.

Gyms: again, we'll see. I'm not going to add anything else to worry about in the initial launch.

fair enough...