The World Cup 2014 Thread

GBK16

I KNOW RIGHT! How the hell am I meant to stay up till one watching my beloved adopted country of Ghana (sweepstake) beat USA tonight :(

That game will be so one sided that it's pointless to watch... USA won't even know what hit them

None of the teams have really impressed me so far. I guess Holland impressed with their finishing and the result 5-1 is about as impressive as it will ever get against Spain, however i would say that anyone could win it between Italy, Germany, Holland, Brazil, Argentina, Belgium and yes, even Spain can recover to still be a factor.

None of the teams have really impressed me so far. I guess Holland impressed with their finishing and the result 5-1 is about as impressive as it will ever get against Spain, however i would say that anyone could win it between Italy, Germany, Holland, Brazil, Argentina, Belgium and yes, even Spain can recover to still be a factor.

Brazil and Argentina look very vulnerable. They are going to have trouble dealing with some of the more coherent European teams I think.

I would be very, very surprised if Belgium got beyond the group of 8. If they win their group they would be the weakest team to do so and they are no better than Portugal. Their coach, Wilmots, is horrible and sadly he gets away with it because of the well-performing self-disciplined Belgium squad. This is a guy who has nothing on his track record except from a sack for mismanaging a second division Belgian club. He starts Fellaini on the bench against a bunch of midgets then later prides himself on making genius substitutions when he finally puts him on.

My predictions for the round of 8:

Spain vs Colombia

France vs Germany

Netherlands vs Italy

Argentina vs Portugal

Germany looks the best.

Spain could still bounce back, they have the talent and if Silva had scored that chip it would have been a much different game.

Holland just doesnt have the talent to make a deep run regardless of their win.

Brazil looks absolutely terrible, they dont even look like contenders right now.

Argentina looks equally terrible, their offense was in chaos for 90 minutes largely due to one of my least favorite players- Aguero.

Italy and France looked pretty good, they both have a decent chance.

I dont think anyone else has a serious chance at winning.

Yes, playing Germany, the best team in the tournament, with a man less.

No excuse they were getting battered before that. The Germans outclassed them and would've won by at least 2 anyway. That could've been 5 but the Germans decided to save their energy and play at walking pace for the last 35mins or so....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Germany looks the best.

Spain could still bounce back, they have the talent and if Silva had scored that chip it would have been a much different game.

Holland just doesnt have the talent to make a deep run regardless of their win.

Brazil looks absolutely terrible, they dont even look like contenders right now.

Argentina looks equally terrible, their offense was in chaos for 90 minutes largely due to one of my least favorite players- Aguero.

Italy and France looked pretty good, they both have a decent chance.

I dont think anyone else has a serious chance at winning.

Agree with it all bar that, don't have talent? They have solid players in every area of the park. Do they have Ronaldo's, Messi's and Neymars, No but they do have players that can perform and work hard. Plus when they go forward I'd argue they have one of the superior forward lines at the tournament. They're not in the same league as the Germans but they are definitely above Italy and France. Dutch will be semi's at least unless they come up against Brazil (sorry home town advantage is a big thing in my eyes) or Germany

It is really hard to say Germany though because Portugal were playing with 10 for most of the match. I am not taking anything away from Germany and their win, they were very good (they usually are very good).

Either way, i said before the tournament i expect a European team to win it and after watching Brazil 2x, Argentina as well as the other teams, i am almost 100% that is the case now. Some people + the bookies had Brazil and Argentina as being the #1 and #2 favorites and the best argument i heard was "the weather", I think those people are delusional.

Unfortunately i think England could struggle past the first round though, especially since Uruguay lost. England will need to win both the Uruguay and Costa Rica games to get through and hope Costa Rica does not beat Italy.

It is really hard to say Germany though because Portugal were playing with 10 for most of the match. I am not taking anything away from Germany and their win, they were very good (they usually are very good).

Either way, i said before the tournament i expect a European team to win it and after watching Brazil 2x, Argentina as well as the other teams, i am almost 100% that is the case now. Some people + the bookies had Brazil and Argentina as being the #1 and #2 favorites and the best argument i heard was "the weather", I think those people are delusional.

Unfortunately i think England could struggle past the first round though, especially since Uruguay lost. England will need to win both the Uruguay and Costa Rica games to get through and hope Costa Rica does not beat Italy.

As I said, the Germans would've beat them anyway, Portugal had some possession but never looked that dangerous, everytime the Germans had the ball I was waiting for a goal (before the red). I actually thought the Germans looked less dangerous when Portugal had 10 men, because they wen't into cruise control.

I think Brazil went in favourites and deservedly so because temperature and humidity does make a difference (or at-least used to significantly) but training and camps improve so that becomes less of a factor every 4 years. Although Argentina is purely because of the media's "Messigasm"

Group A and C look awesome in terms of entertainment for neutrals especially if Croatia beat Cameroon tonight! England I'll hold judgement till halfitme against Uruguay. I for one do not believe Suarez is fully fit, he'll be dangerous but I don't think he's completely ready. Obviously they are a challenge with or without him but he would be one less thing to worry about if he isn't quiet right.

Not sure if Disappointed by the Dutch in this game or think it's a good effort by the Aussies?

• Downvote 1