New Cities

Bob Slay

From the Wiki:

Cage Rage went into liquidation and is now no longer trading. Cage Rage had been owned and managed by Elite XC until that company ceased operating, and the British promoters behind Cage Rage formed a new organization and withdrew all the old Cage Rage titles.[1] 

Cage Rage was running from September 2002, and Elite XC wasn't formed until November 13 2006 so they must have bought into it at some point only to later go out of business in 2008 with Cage Rage also closing in 2008.

• 6 months later...

Necroposting, but all the new arena adding got me thinking. I know its a topic that's been talked about to death, but nevertheless its still something I find interesting and not without potential. Yes, we don't necessarily need new cities, and with flying and all that being turned off, it doesn't essentially matter where in the tycoon world you train and where you fight. BUT so much of this game is about flavour; particularly about what the managers do on the forums, on their fighter profiles, on buzz and wherever else to make it feel alive. So adding cities allows for more ways to roleplay and more customisation - ultimately making for a more varied and diverse tycoon world.

I wouldn't be opposed to outright changing out the lesser-used and least relevant (from a combat sport perspective) cities for new ones, but the cities I'd like to see added are the following. Mind you, I don't expect a world where all of them are being added, so there may be some overlap in timezones and regions.

Bangkok / Phuket - We've said it from the start and you've heard it a hundred times. Every fighter in the game has Muay Thai as one of their primaries and the country where Muay Thai originates from has zero representation in the game. Add Bangkok and you may see KT orgs styled as MT promotions popping up. 

Dubai / Abu Dhabi / Riyadh - It's where the money is. Big fights whether it be in MMA or boxing are quickly finding a home in the deserts and it would be cool to have some Arab / West Asian representation in the game. With how many of our managers are balling these days, it just makes sense.

Singapore - We currently have no cities between St. Petersburg (lol) to Tokyo, leaving the whole of Western, Central, South and South-East Asia without any representation. As mentioned in the thread, Singapore is the home of one of the real world's top organisations and is a wealthy country with a booming economy. It deserves a mention in this conversation ahead of others for sure.

Beijing / Hong Kong / Macau / Shanghai - They say China is the future, and with its economic growth since the 80's, you'd be silly to completely ignore it. In my opinion, the most populated country in the world could do with some in-game representation. Not to mention that it is where many martial arts originated from and the world of MMA would be completely different had it never existed. You can go with the capital, Beijing or its financial hub, Shanghai. Or you can pick somewhere truly unique like Hong Kong, or the "Vegas in the East" with Macau.

Dakar / Cape Town / Lagos - Currently we have no African representation either. An entire continent (the largest, and second most populous) forbidden to host events, let alone be the home of organisations. With African champions grabbing gold in the real world's number one promotion, it would be a nice nod to continent to give them some representation in the tycoon world also. 

Misc. others that could be nice for various reasons (some legit, some personal) - Warsaw, Rome, Seoul, Makhachkala, Mexico City, Athens, Miami

I'd also like to add that if the topic of adding new cities to the game actually becomes something to be seriously considered, I would personally be very open - and in fact excited - to help with any graphics or design needs. From naming / designing arenas to writing flavour text wherever it may be, I would gladly assist. I also believe that all of the above cities could find someone (such as an org owner) willing to make it their home, I definitely would for most.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Alfred said:

If we're talking Muay Thai then yes, Bangkok all day long.

But if we're talking MMA, there's not much at all in Bangkok. Definitely not compared to Phuket which is pro fight hub with several big teams there. 

Very true, I shall edit the post to include both

43 minutes ago, Rei said:

I'd also like to add that if the topic of adding new cities to the game actually becomes something to be seriously considered, I would personally be very open - and in fact excited - to help with any graphics or design needs. From naming / designing arenas to writing flavour text wherever it may be, I would gladly assist. I also believe that all of the above cities could find someone (such as an org owner) willing to make it their home, I definitely would for most.

That should be enough of a buy-in for this to happen tbh. Although I'm not sure how easy it would be to put in a new city. 

3 minutes ago, Alfred said:

A MT hub would be awesome though. A play on the Rajadamnern and Lumpinee stadiums would be nerdtastic to see

I was thinking exactly that, it would be amazing if we could somehow have an integrated arena and org two-in-one kind of deal. Even if that's not possible, any KT/MT promotions based in Thailand could just fashion themselves as if that were the case regardless, in a roleplaying kind of way 

Perhaps even exclusive arenas for KT orgs in Thailand lol

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

A MT hub would be awesome though. A play on the Rajadamnern and Lumpinee stadiums would be nerdtastic to see

*Nods emphatically - saw some of the MT on UFC Fight Pass & really miss it since it stopped, those stadia have a atmosphere that still permeates via tv.

• Upvote 1

On 8/8/2023 at 11:25 PM, Rei said:

Could even overhaul the TWGC competition itself to be based out of Abu Dhabi

Good idea. I also think Abu Dhabi (or better still Dubai) would be the most obvious choice to add (if they were to add a new city). I mean during the covid it was essentially the main location for big events, including UFC events.  

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think it would be fitting to drop Hilo, St. Petersburg, and Amsterdam and relocate them. 

Move St. Petersburg to Poland(bigger mma hub and there’s still a city representing mainland Europe and Russia.).

Move Hilo to UAE(this would represent all SW Asia and Africa, base TWGC out of it.).

Move Amsterdam to Thailand(could be a nice hub for kickboxing orgs if they ever get fixed.).

Use Hawaii as ‘The Island’ instead of some dumb imaginary island. 

We DEFINITELY don’t need MORE cities, but even though it’s just cosmetic, locating them more appropriately reflects the actual mma landscape better and would probably create a little push in new businesses and fighters. 

• Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, jjsquirrel said:

I think island is fine as it is, this game was actually way ahead with the fight island concept:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fight_Island

Yes, I'm aware of what the UFC did during the pandemic.  That's one reason I'd suggest UAE as one of the locations to be added.

I was just saying to use Hawaii as a 'fight island' location instead of an imaginary island.  It can be run exactly the same.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Jersey said:

I was just saying to use Hawaii as a 'fight island' location instead of an imaginary island.  It can be run exactly the same.

I don't hate this idea, or your other proposals, but there is a sizable chunk of players based in Amsterdam so moving that might not go over well.

5 hours ago, Skuzbukit said:

I don't hate this idea, or your other proposals, but there is a sizable chunk of players based in Amsterdam so moving that might not go over well.

That's a good point, I actually have a few fighters in Amsterdam orgs myself.  I probably should have said Helsinki(I actually totally forgot about Helsinki haha.).