TWW News

http://i.imgur.com/BawKd7t.png

NGF SOLD

I first got wind of this when I was approached about buying NGF by Jeff. I never made a formal bid as I figured that Evo, Syn or Ascension would swoop in and take it and well they are better funded than I am at this present time. I wasn’t shall we say shocked when I heard that GEG had bought it but I was surprised when the news came in that they had all chipped in to buy the org. Now I have had varied accounts from players to what is going to happen so I’ll just go for what I think is going to happen.

The top talent will be leaving the org and asked to sign to one of the GEG orgs. I wouldn’t be surprised if the full org got merged into these orgs but from what I have gathered they are a few unhappy parties who loved NGF/Immortals and their famous smack talk thread. This poses a problem for GEG who I think will ultimately get a few decent fighters out of this but not all of the ones they wanted. Considering they are 5 I believe orgs in the GEG family it will be interesting to see who goes where and who gets the better deal from it all. If the collective arrangement they have is to help all of the orgs I could see Cage Wars Hilo and Aggro Damage taking the most talent due to their rosters starting to thin out.

So why was NGF/Immortals sold, well I will message Steel/Jeff and see if either of them want in interview about it and add it onto this. I am assuming though that it is a commitment thing or lack of time issue with them. To run an org takes an enormous amount of time and effort which in return can leave you burned out. Steel I know does a lot of the trash talk thread and previews so I could see him being a little burnt out with it all. Either way I believe it is a huge hit to the org scene as it is rare to see an org with that sort of trash talk and loyal managers in it. I do however kind of like the idea of it as some of the fighters have never fought the top level talent. Some of the fighters in Immortals are nearing 30 years of age and getting close to declining. I could see orgs such as Evo, Syn, Ascension and even myself taking a run at a few of these guys. As I have stated previously in org mergers it’s a fucking free for all whenever someone is dropped.

I’ll also approach Mentor about an interview about this, I was going to when he appeared on chat last night but I was shattered and fell asleep early on. Either way it looks like it could be the end of NGF and a big thanks to Steel and Jeff for making Immortals/NGF a success and a great place to fight in.

Undefeated Prospects square off

It is rare I will use TWW to promote one of my own fights but I want to kill two birds with one stone, also the fact it is a pretty cool fight. We are going to see Roman Kersikov 14-0 take on Jameson Connemara 17-0. What is rare about this fight is that these two haven’t actually crossed paths prior to this and only have one mutual opponent. I will say that they were an abundance of lighter weight fighters created around the 170-190k mark. Everyone already knows about Loompa who has pretty much laid waste to the featherweight division’s mainstays such as Sly, Lomax and Power. That being said I firmly believe either Roman or Jameson would be a great fight for Loompa and it will be interesting to see if the winner of our fight gets Loompa.

So let me start things off talking about Jameson the hard hitting littleman from Klatz’s camp. He is the former UFL champion and current Ascension featherweight champion. Ranked as #1 in the world at featherweight right now (due to Loompa going to Bantamweight), he left UFL to take on challengers from different orgs such as Dominance, Aggro Damage and Vicious Fights. The opponent both guys have in common is another top featherweight prospect by the name of Banas which he won a lopsided decision. He also holds notable wins over journeyman Jake Lamotta and former Ascension featherweight champion James Potkukelkka in which he knocked both men out in the third round. An interesting fact in 17 fights Jameson has only lost 3 rounds in total and in those 3 fights he lost a round he knocked his opponent out.

Now onto my own guy Roman Kersikov. He started off fighting at 170 pounds in Vicious fights but no one wanted to face off against him. So he moved down to featherweight and joined Immortals. After a tough first fight in Immortals he then made mincemeat out of the division and took the title. Deciding to move up to lightweight he went to Rising Sun next and once again was dominant taking the belt and successfully defending it twice before dropping back to featherweight to take on the champ. This was Banas again who once again found himself a victim to a lopsided decision. Two interesting facts about Roman is he beat LeFleur one of only 3 fighters ever to beat Loompa. Roman has also only lost 3 rounds in his career to this point. In two out of three of those fights he lost the first round and dominated the rest of the fight.

So why should you tune in to see this fight? Well for one it is if my memory serves me right one of the biggest fights between two undefeated fighters in tycoon for a while. Most of the time it is just one guy who is undefeated such as Scotty Bennet, Snake the Pendulum etc. Who do I think wins, well I think I may be a bit biased but I really do think Roman is the best featherweight in the game. Jameson is one of the top guys in the division and has every chance of beating Roman. It really could go either way to be honest. Looking at the guys they have faced Roman has beaten a few top prospects on his way whereas Jameson has stepped up into the big leagues earlier and holds a belt in one of the top orgs. Either way it should be an awesome fight and hopefully on some of your spoiler lists to read it PBP.

EVO : Legends

The event of the year went down one week ago and we are now just seeing the dust settling on one of the all-time great events in tycoon history. Why is it one of the best events in tycoon history? Well let me give you a run down. Dustin Douglas came back from the brink to defeat Lester Cockenschuff. After being well and truly outclassed for the first three rounds Dustin finally managed to avoid the clinch and in the fifth round with the fight almost over managed to land a big shot and put poor Lester to sleep. I think a rematch should be on the cards after that epic fight Lester proved that he can hang with the big boys and Dustin got his number one trophy. Next up was Rinky Spider vs James Proudstar, in a fight which many thought Proudstar would just add another belt to his already impressive collection; those people were left to look rather silly. Rinky came out like a man possessed and landed the big shots first and wiped out Proudstar in under two minutes to retain his belt. It also got a little bit of revenge for his fallen alliance mate Estefan who took two molly woppings at the hands of Templeton. For Proudstar I assume he is going to go defend some of his belts and try get some revenge in the future.

Loompa destroyed Dawkins they were no real surprises there. Valentine pulled off another upset in the rubber match vs Pluto. No doubt however Karter will be asking for a rematch after the split decision victory for Valentine. Binzo’s retirement fight didn’t go to plan as he was knocked out for only the second time in his career by Prijovic. Saint got another one over on Chris Karter when he fought Jose and won via armbar. It is safe to say Joses better days are behind him though. Oath decided to try and put Li through the mat with his very impressive KO via slam which somehow didn’t win him knockout of the night.

Tonal vs Womba two started off with Tonal dominating the first round with his stand up as Womba couldn’t get anything going on the ground. In the second round Womba managed to take Tonal down and got into mount. At this point the fans sat and wondered could Womba actually break Tonal’s chin? Womba hit him with big elbows and punches and it all got too much for Tonal who tapped to strikes. Tonal for the first time in his career had been finished by strikes. It sent the fans wild and leaves the two of them tied at 1-1. I doubt however we will see the rubber match.

The final two fights of the night included Otso vs Donny in a match-up of two of the best lightweights in the game. Both fighters came out looking to dominate the other but it was Otso who got the upper hand and proved once again he is still a force to be reckoned with. The final fight of the night was Sly vs Power 3 in what is meant to be Powers retirement tour. Sly once again knocked out Power in the second round and left no doubt in the fans minds who is the more dominant fighter of the two.

As I said above that is the reason this was the card of the year I could have went into way more depth but looking at the word count of this article and knowing I might need to interview two people I am going to leave it here and maybe do another piece next weekend to fill in the gaps such as the fighters to look out for etc. I also have to ask if anyone is interested in doing a couple of articles for TWW to hit me up. As previously stated all the usual writers are busy at the moment with their final pieces of work for University.

The Mentor Interview

Dean – So my first question is what made GEG buy NGF?

Mentor – Well why not? Jeff enquired about us buying the org and we made an offer which was accepted. NGF is a solid org which has great fighters and managers in it, most of whom I know very well as does the other GEG org owners. Plus I had a great candidate to take it onto the next level.

Dean – I agree, it has some great managers in it. Can you disclose how much it cost as I know other top orgs got the same offer you did? I assume it had to have been a hefty price considering the competition.

Mentor – No I cannot disclose a figure. All I can say is that it was a good enough offer that they accepted

Dean – So that leads me onto my next point. Various managers have told me different stories about what is going to happen with NGF. Can you tell us what is the actual plan?

Mentor – No it will not be merged. We feel like we have the right candidate in Rogelio Cottonfloss to take it to the next level as I have already mentioned. The plan is to move it to the PPV level but the truth is changes will have to be made. We want to maintain the legacy that NGF has left. Rogelio is running the org so a lot will depend on him, I have a lot of faith in him.

Dean – Some of the information I was getting last night was that you planned to take some of the top fighters out of NGF and take them to other GEG orgs. Are they any truth to these rumors?

Mentor – The only fighters so far that have gotten offers are ones whose current deals expired before we took over. That being said GEG is funding this move and some fighters have outgrown the org and we will have to reduce the roster by 60 fighters to take it to a 1 event per week org. Some people will need to get released anyway. Some could join a GEG org if they wish to do so but no official moves have been made yet. They will get higher wages at these orgs if they do move though.

Dean – That was an issue that was raised. A lot of people took mates rates at NGF in order to continue fighting there. Will their pay be raised?

Mentor – Yes, as soon as our part of the work beings after the current events expire. Wages will be raised to the levels they are supposed to be. We hope to get this done by the beginning of July as many of the events currently booked will run at a loss due to diminishing returns.

Dean – Out of the 60 fighters previously listed how many of them are going to be top level fighters, mid tier fighters and low level fighters?

Mentor – I would say about 15ish are going to GEG orgs. These will be split between AD, TTFC and CEC but mostly CEC as they need the most backing plus many managers are closely connected.

Dean – Why was the decision made to keep NGF open instead merging it. Like Ascension and UPG for example.

Mentor – I respect lineage and history, call me traditional but NGF has a history of raising top talent and I want to keep that going. I am not going to say it will be ID restricted but we want to keep it for younger talent from the ages of 23 plus.

Dean – Wouldn’t that directly clash with your GAMMA contenders org? Is this going to be more like a GEG contenders org?

Mentor – We still will have the contenders org at GAMMA. I guess you could say it is like that but it isn’t the GAMMA brand. We just hope a lot of the top prospects will end up one day at GAMMA or one of the GEG brands.

Dean – Is there a worry that the top orgs will now be approaching the talent asking them to sign with them?

Mentor – There is just two orgs which would do that; you and Syn.

Dean – Ascension already signed Taco a long time mainstay of NGF and Peels own fighter.

Mentor – Taco? He was a free agent? That is not back stabbing he was a free agent he can sign where he wants. I thought you meant fighters on the roster.

Dean – So it would be backstabbing in Syn and my part if we were to ask these fighters about moving to us?

Mentor – Do you want me to mass mail everyone in your org saying I will triple the pay?

Dean – Well how about the ones that are moving?

Mentor – It is immoral taking advantage that they have a new org owner. I do not go around telling people hey get a release and I’ll offer you this deal.

Dean – So once they are on the free agency then is where you think it is fair game even if they are part of a merge?

Mentor – In that case if someone is a free agent you as an org owner have a right to make him an offer. Now if you offer beforehand then I guess it is simply crafty.

Dean – One last question that was brought up to me last night if you don’t mind, it was something you said that made me remember this. You argue that it is immoral for big orgs to steal fighters from smaller orgs. Despite the fact you combined 5 top ten orgs to take on individual orgs.
Mentor – 5 top 10? CEC has not been top 10 in ages, CW same and AD is sporadic. Financially orgs such as Asc, Evo and Syn can probably rival all of us put together.

Dean – In terms of top 10 talent they were.

Dean – How do you answer the claims that GEG and LOD is just not a more successful Steel Penn/Evil Empire?

Mentor – This is how we do things in GEG, we try to help each other out. Also why are you putting GEG and LOD in the same basket. 3 of the 5 orgs have nothing to do with LOD and Johnny joined us when his alliance went down. The difference between GEG and any other union is that GEG is a group of individual orgs, which have shown at the regional level a good level of activity, organization and dedication. The reason they joined the alliance is to protect their personal interests which is to keep top level talent in their orgs. GEG was formed as an answer to the “Big 5” block when they started to reject my super fight offers I decided to join up with someone.

Peel Steel Interview

Dean – Thanks for joining us Steel on what sure must be a heart wrenching decision to let go of NGF. First question I think people want to know is why you decided to sell the org?

Steel – Pleasure to be on the show Dean, I have been a fan of TWW for some time. I ran the Immortals and later the NGF for the managers. The ethos was fair fights, never throw a guy under a bus, and let there be an org out there that had regular cards. It was never about the money, as long as we were not going to go broke, I didn't care, and I would put on cards that were not economically viable, just to enable managers to get fights.

This all works well when managers don't demand top dollars in pay, and we can continue to sign new talent to keep the roster interesting. But there lies the problem, regular cards equal losses, and we were seriously bleeding cash each event, so we couldn't sign new talent because we would bleed some more.

We reached number 10 in the world and some of the top end guys are wanting better money, but with the roster 150+, my ethos contradicts the economics, and it only takes a handful of the top end guys to leave for more money and the others, motivated by the competition will leave because what they require, competition, disappears.

An example would be Moyses Mattoss, he had quite a few top guys with us and he wants top end cash, but JLP, Fuse, Krad, Tosen were with me because it was a good org, and had good competition for the guys in their camps. I can run an org how I want to when managers are motivated by competition, but for some, their guy gets some hype and they want the world.

So, we were losing money, Jeff had invested 4m in this, and we had 2.5m left from a 6m war chest. The only solution would be to run the org with a smaller roster, and that isn't me. Jeff wants his cash back for his business, so it seemed it was the right time to sell.

Dean – Now I know NGF isn’t your baby but Immortals was. What was it like when you first merged Immortals in with NGF and how did the merge come about?

Steel – Fernando who owned the NGF with Chad, was part of our alliance and he was getting disillusioned with providing a great product but his champs coming and going to the big orgs, and he could no longer see the point in putting in all the hard work. So we all knew he was unhappy. Then he got racially abused, called a nigger by a well known manager, so he alleged, and he decided to let his VIP go.

NGF had been a thorn in my backside for a long time, they signed a lot of great fighters, and they offered a great product, so we went with the idea of a merger, but we merged the Immortals into the NGF because I hedged on the loyalty of the Immortals managers coming with me. To be fair 90% came, more wanted to but they would have got murdered by the roster!

The NGF guys who had not heard of me, gave me the benefit of the doubt and it went pretty much perfectly, everyone who we needed to come, came over.

Dean – Now I heard that you guys had dropped the ID restriction not too long ago. How much trouble were you having bringing in big fighters to the org?

Steel – Lots of trouble, because of the economics. I wanted to keep the roster interesting for the managers who care about competition and the org being reliable, but my offers were scoffed at. It is ignorance on some part with these managers, who want great products out there for their fighters but do not appreciate the trade off. The trade off with the NGF product was cash, and a few can destroy that product because of the chain reaction it causes. Got to say this Dean, can't help myself, but Andy Mugler is the biggest pain in the ass I've come across, definitely should have buyer beware stamped on his money grabbing ass!

Dean – You must have had a fair few offers for NGF. What was it that made you accept Mentors offer over the others?

Steel – Jeff handled any interactions with potential purchasers, I carried on running the org, I was sad to have to sell, disappointed not only for myself after 2 years of the Immortals and NGF combined, but also for the managers, that appreciated the effort I put in.

Given the fact that Jeff had done nothing but snort coke this past 3 months, he felt he was perfectly qualified to handle the sale.

Dean – What is it you will miss most about NGF?

Steel – Probably everything, I'm thinking about re-launching the Immortals from scratch with the catch phrase, "Crap pay for fair fights". Seriously the Immortals 250k ID Restricted org will launch shortly. So put the word out and if guys want to send me the ID of their fighters now, I will contact them when its set up again.

Dean – You were a pioneer in some ways with your smack talk thread. At any stage though did it burn you out with all the write ups you had to do?

Steel – The more skilled the roster gets, the harder it became. It was harder with the NGF, as in the Immortals I already knew all the fighters, and there skills sets. I have a good memory for this kind of thing, so I write easy enough.
The death of my laptop was a killer also, using an Ipad is shit, so this just compounded the issue.

Dean – Well I enjoyed your smalk talk a lot and thought you were very creative. How about coming on TWW every now and again? You can hit us with some of the patter and rip it out of a few fighters you feel who have it coming to them… including my Kersikovs.

Steel - Be pleasure, I always planned on organising a city wide parade the day Vlad Kersikov scored a KO, or I managed to stay awake during one of his fights.

Seriously though, keep up the good work and thanks for having me on the show.

Previous Articles Links to previous articles
  • Upvote 14

Good article. Your writing is improving every TWW. It's probably really good (and fun) practice for law school.

It is the reason i started doing it.

Also Mentor and Steel agreed to the interviews. I am currently working my way through Mentors which should be posted within the hour. It is a really in-depth interview since i managed to get him on chat to do it and answers a lot of questions. not to mention another 1200 words added to this article and i haven't even gotten to Steels yet which should be good also.

I'm really curious about the future of NGF. The new owner mailed a note from Steel that was pretty vague. There are a couple of GEG orgs that I really like and a couple that I want nothing to do with.

Hopefully the Mentor interview will clear it all up for you and a lot of others as that was what i was told. No one really knew the future.

The Mentor interview is up.

I've had my eye on Roman Kersikov for a while now. I think he is a perfect example for managers to see what they need to do if they want to build a fighter that actually could be p4p best in this game.

Good article. Your writing is improving every TWW.

Agreed. I think Dinoo does a good job with TWW in that he tried to keep his own preferences as much out of it and leave it to the actual neutral facts.......with a little flavor added of course.

Credit where credit is due. Very good piece of writing, and I was happy to see a lot of stories to read about. I look forward to seeing the Steel interview.

agree man i love reading these , whenever i feel a little bored or nothing to do kinda feelings these always throw me back in the alt reality of this game ... then i go searching on the managers , orgs and fighters invovled does a lot more for me then reading :P keeps me interested in the game also .. keep it rolling bro ..