Christmas Day Massacre

Alfred

While this format is evil if you end up slipping to the bottom of the table the fight for the top & middle has been a real case of swings, misses & surprises, and even when you have a fighter at the very bottom, they can still cause a major upset.

As hellish as this could get it's much more interesting than the regular 1 & done style tournaments or even the double/triple elimination.

Even if I was at the bopttom of the table, this tournament style STAYS interesting the whole way through but it heavily relies on everyone sticking it out and not cutting their losses.

I think I'm a fan of it, though once or twice a year might be as much as you would want to do it, maybe hold a Summer Slaughter in the middle of the year as well as the Christmas massacre.

Swiss Style or Round-Robin at this pace.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

Firstly you have TB which stands for "Number of matches against tied opponents". This would have made straight forward sense except for the fact that I've seen it change over the last couple weeks. I think that could have something to do with Buchholz which is described as "The Median-Buccholz system is used to break ties in Swiss tournaments. The value displayed in the standings table is the sum of a players opponents' scores, with the best and worst scores discarded"

Basically means if all your wins are against dropkicks and losses are against the top guys, it doesn't give you as high a score as a guy with the same number of wins (but against the better guys). That's the Bucholz by itself. THe Median-Bucholz is a variation that tries to reduce outliers by taking away the best and worst results of each guy, to try give you a more accurate picture of their performance.

That's why Nichol's score is so low, he picked up wins against poor guys and that doesn't even factor the shenanigans where one of his top wins against Hussin was while Hussin was injured and not the lean, mean, decision machine he usually is. Imagine if it factored that in, he'd be negative score! Median-Buccholz probably also eliminates that result from Nichols' score because it's obviously his best win and an outlier ;)

I'm shocked Hussin has continued to keep rolling. This chump is #4 on the injury list and still defying expectations.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Skuzbukit said:

While this format is evil if you end up slipping to the bottom of the table the fight for the top & middle has been a real case of swings, misses & surprises, and even when you have a fighter at the very bottom, they can still cause a major upset.

As hellish as this could get it's much more interesting than the regular 1 & done style tournaments or even the double/triple elimination.

Even if I was at the bopttom of the table, this tournament style STAYS interesting the whole way through but it heavily relies on everyone sticking it out and not cutting their losses.

I think I'm a fan of it, though once or twice a year might be as much as you would want to do it, maybe hold a Summer Slaughter in the middle of the year as well as the Christmas massacre.

Swiss Style or Round-Robin at this pace.

I want one of these every season haha.  It's just fun.

• Upvote 3

Christmas Day Massacre - Day 13

Conclusion

Mwahahahaha! HOOO HOOO HOOO!

The heavens rupture with malevolence as lightning rends the tranquil yuletide slumber, casting an unholy glow upon the desolate scene. Two sinister specters emerge, their ominous presence a mockery to the purity of the snow, now stained with an unsettling crimson hue. One figure, battered and bruised, stands as a testament to the brutality that unfolded, while the other, with a twisted satisfaction, gleefully rubs hands together in sinister anticipation. The air itself seems to shudder at the maleficent aura exuded by these dark harbingers of an impending and dreadful fate

The massacre is over. Paul Nichols is the champion and by extension, Alfred is King. 

You would think the fact that this victory was achieved despite having the lowest Buchholz score would somehow be a source of shame but no, not for Alfred. A cheap victory such as this only fills his heart with Christmas joy. 

Speaking of shame, Anwar Hussin should certainly be dripping with it. A promising prospect all through the tournament and right up until the end. With an Australian manager, he was always fated to shit the bed at the very last and boy did he. His fighting style was like that of a thick sheepskin blanket. Uncomfortable, suffocating and mildly irritating. He lost to a glorified punch bag and ended up in forth place. No prize for him. Just shame. 

In second place was the Brazilian Bernardo Cabral. He too could looked set to take all the glory at one point but a couple a blips near the end that resulted in injury really tripped him up. 

In third place we have Santino Oliviera who really can't be faulted too badly. A submission wizard who's weakness to strikers was his eventual downfall. 

In fifth place was Gordon Hunter who put together some great runs of results at times including finishing the tournament on a five fight winning streak. A downturn in fortune midway through the competition however was what really kept him from a top three spot. 

In sixth was the Ironman Jokubas Antukis. No one came close to avoiding injury and cuts like this fighter but despite absolutely destroying most of his opponents via first round knockout, he was often baffled by the pyjama wearers of the tournament and for that was unable to claim the grand prize. 

7th was Mateusz Kieliszkowski who had a similar run to Gordon Hunter. A couple of promising run scuppered with a run of poor form. Still, an 8-5 record stands among one of the better runs. 

In 8th place was Tarquin Doomwood. Finishing was a winning record of 7-6 he did just fine overall. Picked up some good wins and lost to some good fighters. His manager returns to Wales no longer as the "Shame of Swansea" but simply as Bob. 

In 9th place was Daroshev Faroshev. He really wanted the top spot and held out hope pretty much until the last. One too many losses overall though but a decent run in the end. A winning record of 7-6 and a four fight win streak found within that. 

In 10th place, the second most brutalised man in the tournament, Jersey Turnpike. Things looked promising early on for this fighter including a fluke win over the eventual champion Paul Nichols. Injury and luck however were not on his side and he has done very well to finish where he has. 

In 11th place, a similar story. On par to become the world's greatest fighting torso early on but instead became the tournaments biggest insurance liability. Word has it that premiums will go through roof next time around because of this man. The actual most brutalised fighter in the tournament does well to finish with a 5-8 record. 

In 12th place we have poor Sean Faolin who's manager Jimmy Normal suffered terribly throughout this tournament. Probably not as much as his fighter to be fair as Faolin will probably never recover from the battering received over the last couple of weeks. 

In 13th the man known as Freaky Fister. A three fight win streak earlier on in the tournament gave him hope but in the end a 4-9 record is all he could manage. 

In 14th place we have River Waters who was in the running for bottom place most of the tournament. Did well to avoid that fate and actually finished the tournament with a two fight win streak. 

At 15th, Mauricio Nunes tried his best throughout and actually managed an impressive victory over Gordon Hunter in round 8. A really bad run of form in the last part of the tournament however dragged him into the battle for last. He finishes with a 3-10 record. 

Last but not least is Stanley Reynolds in 16th place. Finishing with a 2-11 record, Reynolds just couldn't get going. Surprisingly, he is also very low down on the brutality table which means even his opponents didn't really have the heart to hurt him. Respect must be given to his willingness to keep coming back for more.  

• Like 3

brutality.jpg

[#1] Mr Torso (Tycoon Judas) = 3 Inj / 7 Cut (Total = 72 Inj / 64 Cut)
[#2] Sean Faolin (Jimmy Normal) = 5 Inj / 2 Cut (Total = 86 Inj / 4 Cut) ▲ 1
[#3] Jersey Turnpike (Rush Greyson) = 4 Inj (Total = 88 Inj) ▼ 1
[#4] Anwar Hussin (Crazy Horse) = 5 Inj / 5 Cut (Total = 41 Inj / 23 Cut)
[#5] Freaky Fister (Freaky Phantom) = 2 Inj (Total = 53 Inj / 2 Cut)
[#6] Santino Oliveira (Todd Westacott) = 4 Cut (Total = 11 Inj / 43 Cut) ▲ 1
[#7] Mauricio Nunes (Rodrigo Ferreira) = 3 Inj (Total = 39 Inj / 14 Cut) ▼ 1
[#8] Bernardo Cabral (John Pezao) = 4 Inj (Total = 44 Inj / 9 Cut) ▲ 1
[#9] Daroshev Faroshev (Johnny The Gunt) = FRESH (Total = 40 Inj / 3 Cut) ▼ 1
[#10] Tarquin Doomwood (Bob Slay) = 4 Inj / 3 Cut (Total = 31 Inj / 8 Cut) ▲ 2
[#11] River Waters (Thomas Edwards) = 2 Inj (Total = 38 Inj) ▼ 1
[#12] Paul Nichols (Alfred Winterbottom) = 2 Inj (Total = 35 Inj) ▼ 2
[#13] Mateusz Kieliszkowski (McChicken Sandwich) = 3 Inj (Total = 33 Inj / 1 Cut)
[#14] Stanley Reynolds (Scottie 2 Hottie) = 2 Inj (Total = 25 Inj / 2 Cut)
[#15] Gordon Hunter (Rei) = FRESH (Total = 9 Inj / 5 Cut)
[#16] Jokubas Antukis (Jersey Inc.) = FRESH (Total = 4 Inj)

• Like 1

Just want to say a big thanks to everyone for participating in this one and sticking with it. Especially those that suspected they weren't going to win earlier on. I don't think I've ever had that before as usually at least one asshat will rage quit with some lame excuse that they didn't understand the rules or that they thought it was over. 

I've organised quite a few tournaments over my time here but I must say, this has probably been my favourite (and not because I won)

Anyway, hope everyone else had fun and maybe we can do it again sometime. Summer Slaughter perhaps like Bob suggested. 

Merry Christmas y'all!

P.S Will send prizes out today (thanks again to the Bank of Scotland for providing the prize fund)

• Like 2

Nah for real though, this tournament has been a great deal of fun and I can't remember being this interested in the game since running my org in 2019. It gave me something to log in for while waiting for 400k to roll round. I feel blue-balled doing so well and not coming away with a top spot though I can't lie hahah.

Thanks for hosting Alfred and I'll definitely sign up again if you decide to run another like this :)

Gordon says that anyone he didn't fight in the tournament is welcome to come find him in Shinjitsu's openweight division. Rematches too!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rei said:

rigged imo

Agreed, so obvious. Even brought a Granite to a Cuts Easily/No Chin gunfight.

What's even worse is that he bullied me into joining! I have screenshots of proof.

With an Australian manager, he was always fated to shit the bed at the very last and boy did he.

I wonder who he's even talking about? No Australians around.

Mwahahahaha! HOOO HOOO HOOO!

You sound like Mr Pickle!

Next year I'm coming with a proper build and hopefully not a pillowfisted, no chin. Watch out! No one else was brave enough to go with a suffocating meme build.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2023 at 1:05 AM, Daudy said:

Agreed, so obvious. Even brought a Granite to a Cuts Easily/No Chin gunfight.

What's even worse is that he bullied me into joining! I have screenshots of proof.

I wonder who he's even talking about? No Australians around.

You sound like Mr Pickle!

Next year I'm coming with a proper build and hopefully not a pillowfisted, no chin. Watch out! No one else was brave enough to go with a suffocating meme build.

Someone dare steal MR. PICKLES OOH HOO HOO HOO!!!!!! I won't stand for this! Mr. Pickle wont stand for this! Someone book the fight Mr. Pickle vs The Jaborni who tried to say HOO HOO HOO!!!!

• Upvote 2